Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1416

Thread: Uaap season 80

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    It's a combination of genetics and training. If you don't train you won't fulfill your genetic potential. It's not like Filipinos are incapable. If someone like Japheth can exist then it's a matter of finding them. Frankly I'm under the belief that big strong athletic Filipinos are out there in the provinces just haven't been discovered yet. Kai sotto is pretty athletic for 15 7'2. We won't see what he's truly going to be capable of for maybe a few years but the way he moved at the seabau-16 and during the Lebron tour tells me he is athletic. Guys like Japheth are freak athletes though.
    For me its 70% genetics & 30% workout. There really players who are gifted with athleticism that others could only wish for.

Bong Hawkins would never have the jumping ability of a Japeth Aguilar kahit na magtatalon pa si Hawkins ng 5 hours per day.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by shootingbwakaw View Post
    Oooh, PC police .... walked the line of political correctness before. Tired of it.

Project Yao Ming, Adam Parada & UST girlfriend, Japeth & his once upon a time 6-1 black gf wasn't this forum excited.

Crass, yes, tasteless, yes stated in jest, YESSS! International forum, oops! But no worse than many other posts of this type.

Ok to settle the issue, let me clarify then: the Ateneo women's volleyball team should entertain him then (playing scrabble until the wee hours). That should be a win-win-win situation for all. For Ben (because his vocabulary is enhanced), for Ateneo (for its success in international relations) and for RP basketball because of the inspiration derived from Mbala's work ethic.

So don't you worry your imaginative mind. Apologies to your volleybelle gf.
    Political correctness is the new tyranny. Hahaha Social Justice Warriors Assemble! Haha What the PC Police fail to mention is that a lot of these women actually want to bed these superstar athletes. Ask any NBA player. Ask Magic Johnson.

Let the breeding program begin. FIBA Asia domination for Gilas in 20 years! Haha

Genetics is the foundation and you build on it by proper training.
    It's plain biology at work.

First Stop talking politics. Second End the Patriarchy. SJWs>MRAs any day of the week. Now back to the UAAP.

Actually if Mbala is measured 6'5 below , for 3rd conference hight limit, i think he would be an excellent PBA import with his inside presence

Mbala has now played 2 seasons in the UAAP. He is now eligible to play in the dleague. ECJ can assemble a DLSU team in the dleague that could rival MVP's Cignal-San Beda.
    SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

Mbala could be a resident import for a lot of local teams. Maybe alab can get him in the future once his dlsu duties are finished.,

Quote Originally Posted by live_evil View Post
    Mbala could be a resident import for a lot of local teams. Maybe alab can get him in the future once his dlsu duties are finished.,
    The guy was contacted by NBA scouts in the last Fiba Africa. Dontbe surprised if he is picked by an NBA D league team. The guy has the BBIQ, toughness and work ethic to expand his game. If his dream is to get to the NBA he has to turn down ECJs money and go to the D league.

AJ Edu to La Salle

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis245 View Post
    AJ Edu to La Salle
    From where did you verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    The guy was contacted by NBA scouts in the last Fiba Africa. Dontbe surprised if he is picked by an NBA D league team. The guy has the BBIQ, toughness and work ethic to expand his game. If his dream is to get to the NBA he has to turn down ECJs money and go to the D league.
    no the d league, or nba training of mbala to sf might be the way for ecj to use him as resident pba import in the future..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    no the d league, or nba training of mbala to sf might be the way for ecj to use him as resident pba import in the future..
    If a lot of things align, he could even play in the PBA as a local (naturalized).

You’ll need to change the PBA rules first. Currently only natural-born Filipinos can play as locals..

Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    You’ll need to change the PBA rules first. Currently only natural-born Filipinos can play as locals..
    Hence, "if a lot of things align"

Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    Hmm... i dont know...
    WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
    SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

A good read "http://www.spin.ph/basketball/bench_warmer/ben-mbala-legacy-to-philippine-sports-column-ding-marcelo"

In a way I do agree with the author. It's not the imports per se but it's the mindset that the imports are the center piece of the team or the anchor. "... Win.. is the only thing..." as Ding puts it. Look at our bigs in the UAAP and NCAA, languishing behind the rotation with the imports. Look at Carino or that big pinoy in the La Salle roster, they are just second fiddle or none at all. I am not sure if these big schools have even programs for their big men. I have yet to see, save for UE, of a team in these school leagues that just puts the imports as just a backup and show-case, win or lose, the pinoy bigs or the like as the important piece of the team, they who will be at the crunch time. I have yet to see that coaches or schools will risk putting our pinoy players in the most important part of the game and let the import be second option in offence or the like and not mind losing if only to give our young pinoys a chance to feel the pressure and learn and grow from the experience, Kemark Carino in my example was a promising big guy but as long as san beda has an import and gives importance to that import instead of honing kemark, kemark will just graduate with nothing, with no improvement whatsoever. Somewhere in the post here in the forum, I think I understand where Kobe Paras was coming from. Personally , yeah I would rather see these promising bigs or the like paly outside of the Philippines. AJ Edu should think wisely as to play here in the Philippines. I forgot, look at Justine Baltazar, yeah he was given minutes in La Salle, But I doubt he will ever progress when the focal point of the team is Mbala. Sayang sila. These MVP awards should be reserved to PInoys and special award like best import should be created. Again, pinoys don't stand a chance when coaches' / schools preference in the rotation are these imports.

Quote Originally Posted by shamuibilog View Post
    A good read "http://www.spin.ph/basketball/bench_warmer/ben-mbala-legacy-to-philippine-sports-column-ding-marcelo"

In a way I do agree with the author. It's not the imports per se but it's the mindset that the imports are the center piece of the team or the anchor. "... Win.. is the only thing..." as Ding puts it. Look at our bigs in the UAAP and NCAA, languishing behind the rotation with the imports. Look at Carino or that big pinoy in the La Salle roster, they are just second fiddle or none at all. I am not sure if these big schools have even programs for their big men. I have yet to see, save for UE, of a team in these school leagues that just puts the imports as just a backup and show-case, win or lose, the pinoy bigs or the like as the important piece of the team, they who will be at the crunch time. I have yet to see that coaches or schools will risk putting our pinoy players in the most important part of the game and let the import be second option in offence or the like and not mind losing if only to give our young pinoys a chance to feel the pressure and learn and grow from the experience, Kemark Carino in my example was a promising big guy but as long as san beda has an import and gives importance to that import instead of honing kemark, kemark will just graduate with nothing, with no improvement whatsoever. Somewhere in the post here in the forum, I think I understand where Kobe Paras was coming from. Personally , yeah I would rather see these promising bigs or the like paly outside of the Philippines. AJ Edu should think wisely as to play here in the Philippines. I forgot, look at Justine Baltazar, yeah he was given minutes in La Salle, But I doubt he will ever progress when the focal point of the team is Mbala. Sayang sila. These MVP awards should be reserved to PInoys and special award like best import should be created. Again, pinoys don't stand a chance when coaches' / schools preference in the rotation are these imports.
    Don't you think that our bigs should start realizing that they can play other position besides 5 & 4? If your are a 6'5" local and can dribble like Terrence and shoots the ball like Chan, then I'm pretty sure you will take a starting position on any college team. Unfortunately that's not the case here. If only our bigs have the skill-set and can translate their game to play guards or wing then we won't have article like that complaining for a single spot in a 15 man roster!

I disagree completely.

DLSU won the title in 2013 without an "import". That year, UE had Charles Mammie, UST had Karim Abdul and NU had Mbe.

DLSU's main man that year was Jeron Teng, ably supported by Van Opstal, Revilla etc.

The fact is, all these opinion pieces are coming out now because DLSU managed to get an "import" who is so talented that the competition looks so weak in comparison.

College teams without a dominant "import" can still win against college teams who do have that one dominant "import". Heck, Ateneo nearly went 2 of 2 against DLSU in the slims this year.

NO.. a local big can still produce good numbers. prove it. work hard. lots of teams there who has avg. foreign athlete on their team who are not focal point of their system. just look at admu, up and feu. remove aroga in NU and you have troy rosario playing as C. remove prinze orizu for feu and you have a undersized PF Belo and the elder escoto as C.. SBC is just mis using carino.. it’s not about noah and tankoua rotating at center slot for sbc.. they have adamos, abuda, mocon rotating at PF slot. coach boyet can use carino but prefer using the above mentioned players.. put carino in feu and that’s a different story.. he might get a PT and will develop a fine PF..

it’s all about upping up your game.. step up.. double work hard on practices. di yung spoonfeed mentality. i don’t why is this is an issue about foreign player taking out the spotlight for our local players. if let’s say kobe won the best player of the conference will you expect a columnist to write about “this is something wrong in US basketball?” taking out the spotlight of an american player? or a filo kid here who won a best and fairest in soccer club in u15 division and you expect a local columnist that “this is something wrong in Australia Soccer?” NO..

don’t need a seperate award for foreign athletes. they are also students. a foreign student is eligible to any award, (ROY, MVP). that’s discrimination. some filos are complaining about some foreign people saying discriminatory act on filos and yet some filos are doing the same act on foreign people and worst to their own people.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    NO.. a local big can still produce good numbers. prove it. work hard. lots of teams there who has avg. foreign athlete on their team who are not focal point of their system. just look at admu, up and feu. remove aroga in NU and you have troy rosario playing as C. remove prinze orizu for feu and you have a undersized PF Belo and the elder escoto as C.. SBC is just mis using carino.. it’s not about noah and tankoua rotating at center slot for sbc.. they have adamos, abuda, mocon rotating at PF slot. coach boyet can use carino but prefer using the above mentioned players.. put carino in feu and that’s a different story.. he might get a PT and will develop a fine PF..

it’s all about upping up your game.. step up.. double work hard on practices. di yung spoonfeed mentality. i don’t why is this is an issue about foreign player taking out the spotlight for our local players. if let’s say kobe won the best player of the conference will you expect a columnist to write about “this is something wrong in US basketball?” taking out the spotlight of an american player? or a filo kid here who won a best and fairest in soccer club in u15 division and you expect a local columnist that “this is something wrong in Australia Soccer?” NO..

don’t need a seperate award for foreign athletes. they are also students. a foreign student is eligible to any award, (ROY, MVP). that’s discrimination. some filos are complaining about some foreign people saying discriminatory act on filos and yet some filos are doing the same act on foreign people and worst to their own people.
    I agree with your First paragraph. I disagree with you with the MVP. Don't use the word discrimination so loosely in this case as if someone's right is being curtailed. I said have another award to highlight their value. Students or working here like in the PBA needs to have another set of awards.

I am particularly pointing to our big men and not other positions.
    until we have produced the same caliber big men, ok, include all positions. at near par with any US team or European team (Koreans) at most level, the incentive of an MVP must only be for PInoys. That is an incentive for our players to aim for.

Of course the US Basketball teams, columnists will not raise a howl if Kobe or a foreigner wins the MVP. Since these countries are bar none better than us in every position, if kobe wins the award it only means he is really very good. That can't be said here in the Philippines. It is obvious that most of these imports are truly better, if not skillfully but physically. That is already a given and that is why they were recruited in the first place, to fill a gap. If they truly excel then give them the proper award for their effort of filling that gap. The MVP is therefore for those non-foreigners who now choose to up there game stacked against these imports, again let us not use the word "discrimination" so loosely. there is a fair reason naman why I said my opinion.

I agree with your First paragraph. I disagree with you with the MVP. Don't use the word discrimination so loosely in this case as if someone's right is being curtailed. I said have another award to highlight their value. Students or working here like in the PBA needs to have another set of awards.

I am particularly pointing to our big men and not other positions.
    until we have produced the same caliber big men, ok, include all positions. at near par with any US team or European team (Koreans) at most level, the incentive of an MVP must only be for PInoys. That is an incentive for our players to aim for.

Of course the US Basketball teams, columnists will not raise a howl if Kobe or a foreigner wins the MVP. Since these countries are bar none better than us in every position, if kobe wins the award it only means he is really very good. That can't be said here in the Philippines. It is obvious that most of these imports are truly better, if not skillfully but physically. That is already a given and that is why they were recruited in the first place, to fill a gap. If they truly excel then give them the proper award for their effort of filling that gap. The MVP is therefore for those non-foreigners who now choose to up there game stacked against these imports, again let us not use the word "discrimination" so loosely. there is a fair reason naman why I said my opinion.
    MVP means most valuable PLAYER right? any player irregardless of nationality is eligible to win an award. theirs no need of seperation of award. any local collegiate leagues must treat a foreign athlete equally not differently.

i would totally understand you give mvp and best import award separately in pro ranks but in collegiate leagues? nope.
    Last edited by Silent Killer; 11-18-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast