Uaap season 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
    no the d league, or nba training of mbala to sf might be the way for ecj to use him as resident pba import in the future..
    If a lot of things align, he could even play in the PBA as a local (naturalized).

Comment

• You’ll need to change the PBA rules first. Currently only natural-born Filipinos can play as locals..

Comment

• Originally posted by k3ttch View Post
        You’ll need to change the PBA rules first. Currently only natural-born Filipinos can play as locals..
        Hence, "if a lot of things align"

Comment

• Originally posted by k3ttch View Post
          You’ll need to change the PBA rules first. Currently only natural-born Filipinos can play as locals..
          Hmm... i dont know...
          WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
          SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• A good read "http://www.spin.ph/basketball/bench_warmer/ben-mbala-legacy-to-philippine-sports-column-ding-marcelo"

In a way I do agree with the author. It's not the imports per se but it's the mindset that the imports are the center piece of the team or the anchor. "... Win.. is the only thing..." as Ding puts it. Look at our bigs in the UAAP and NCAA, languishing behind the rotation with the imports. Look at Carino or that big pinoy in the La Salle roster, they are just second fiddle or none at all. I am not sure if these big schools have even programs for their big men. I have yet to see, save for UE, of a team in these school leagues that just puts the imports as just a backup and show-case, win or lose, the pinoy bigs or the like as the important piece of the team, they who will be at the crunch time. I have yet to see that coaches or schools will risk putting our pinoy players in the most important part of the game and let the import be second option in offence or the like and not mind losing if only to give our young pinoys a chance to feel the pressure and learn and grow from the experience, Kemark Carino in my example was a promising big guy but as long as san beda has an import and gives importance to that import instead of honing kemark, kemark will just graduate with nothing, with no improvement whatsoever. Somewhere in the post here in the forum, I think I understand where Kobe Paras was coming from. Personally , yeah I would rather see these promising bigs or the like paly outside of the Philippines. AJ Edu should think wisely as to play here in the Philippines. I forgot, look at Justine Baltazar, yeah he was given minutes in La Salle, But I doubt he will ever progress when the focal point of the team is Mbala. Sayang sila. These MVP awards should be reserved to PInoys and special award like best import should be created. Again, pinoys don't stand a chance when coaches' / schools preference in the rotation are these imports.

Comment

• Originally posted by shamuibilog View Post
              A good read "http://www.spin.ph/basketball/bench_warmer/ben-mbala-legacy-to-philippine-sports-column-ding-marcelo"

In a way I do agree with the author. It's not the imports per se but it's the mindset that the imports are the center piece of the team or the anchor. "... Win.. is the only thing..." as Ding puts it. Look at our bigs in the UAAP and NCAA, languishing behind the rotation with the imports. Look at Carino or that big pinoy in the La Salle roster, they are just second fiddle or none at all. I am not sure if these big schools have even programs for their big men. I have yet to see, save for UE, of a team in these school leagues that just puts the imports as just a backup and show-case, win or lose, the pinoy bigs or the like as the important piece of the team, they who will be at the crunch time. I have yet to see that coaches or schools will risk putting our pinoy players in the most important part of the game and let the import be second option in offence or the like and not mind losing if only to give our young pinoys a chance to feel the pressure and learn and grow from the experience, Kemark Carino in my example was a promising big guy but as long as san beda has an import and gives importance to that import instead of honing kemark, kemark will just graduate with nothing, with no improvement whatsoever. Somewhere in the post here in the forum, I think I understand where Kobe Paras was coming from. Personally , yeah I would rather see these promising bigs or the like paly outside of the Philippines. AJ Edu should think wisely as to play here in the Philippines. I forgot, look at Justine Baltazar, yeah he was given minutes in La Salle, But I doubt he will ever progress when the focal point of the team is Mbala. Sayang sila. These MVP awards should be reserved to PInoys and special award like best import should be created. Again, pinoys don't stand a chance when coaches' / schools preference in the rotation are these imports.
              Don't you think that our bigs should start realizing that they can play other position besides 5 & 4? If your are a 6'5" local and can dribble like Terrence and shoots the ball like Chan, then I'm pretty sure you will take a starting position on any college team. Unfortunately that's not the case here. If only our bigs have the skill-set and can translate their game to play guards or wing then we won't have article like that complaining for a single spot in a 15 man roster!
              Samahan ng mga Bopol ng Pilipinas

Comment

A good read "http://www.spin.ph/basketball/bench_warmer/ben-mbala-legacy-to-philippine-sports-column-ding-marcelo"

I disagree completely.

DLSU won the title in 2013 without an "import". That year, UE had Charles Mammie, UST had Karim Abdul and NU had Mbe.

DLSU's main man that year was Jeron Teng, ably supported by Van Opstal, Revilla etc.

The fact is, all these opinion pieces are coming out now because DLSU managed to get an "import" who is so talented that the competition looks so weak in comparison.

College teams without a dominant "import" can still win against college teams who do have that one dominant "import". Heck, Ateneo nearly went 2 of 2 against DLSU in the slims this year.

Comment

NO.. a local big can still produce good numbers. prove it. work hard. lots of teams there who has avg. foreign athlete on their team who are not focal point of their system. just look at admu, up and feu. remove aroga in NU and you have troy rosario playing as C. remove prinze orizu for feu and you have a undersized PF Belo and the elder escoto as C.. SBC is just mis using carino.. it’s not about noah and tankoua rotating at center slot for sbc.. they have adamos, abuda, mocon rotating at PF slot. coach boyet can use carino but prefer using the above mentioned players.. put carino in feu and that’s a different story.. he might get a PT and will develop a fine PF..

it’s all about upping up your game.. step up.. double work hard on practices. di yung spoonfeed mentality. i don’t why is this is an issue about foreign player taking out the spotlight for our local players. if let’s say kobe won the best player of the conference will you expect a columnist to write about “this is something wrong in US basketball?” taking out the spotlight of an american player? or a filo kid here who won a best and fairest in soccer club in u15 division and you expect a local columnist that “this is something wrong in Australia Soccer?” NO..

don’t need a seperate award for foreign athletes. they are also students. a foreign student is eligible to any award, (ROY, MVP). that’s discrimination. some filos are complaining about some foreign people saying discriminatory act on filos and yet some filos are doing the same act on foreign people and worst to their own people.
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                    NO.. a local big can still produce good numbers. prove it. work hard. lots of teams there who has avg. foreign athlete on their team who are not focal point of their system. just look at admu, up and feu. remove aroga in NU and you have troy rosario playing as C. remove prinze orizu for feu and you have a undersized PF Belo and the elder escoto as C.. SBC is just mis using carino.. it’s not about noah and tankoua rotating at center slot for sbc.. they have adamos, abuda, mocon rotating at PF slot. coach boyet can use carino but prefer using the above mentioned players.. put carino in feu and that’s a different story.. he might get a PT and will develop a fine PF..

it’s all about upping up your game.. step up.. double work hard on practices. di yung spoonfeed mentality. i don’t why is this is an issue about foreign player taking out the spotlight for our local players. if let’s say kobe won the best player of the conference will you expect a columnist to write about “this is something wrong in US basketball?” taking out the spotlight of an american player? or a filo kid here who won a best and fairest in soccer club in u15 division and you expect a local columnist that “this is something wrong in Australia Soccer?” NO..

don’t need a seperate award for foreign athletes. they are also students. a foreign student is eligible to any award, (ROY, MVP). that’s discrimination. some filos are complaining about some foreign people saying discriminatory act on filos and yet some filos are doing the same act on foreign people and worst to their own people.
                    I agree with your First paragraph. I disagree with you with the MVP. Don't use the word discrimination so loosely in this case as if someone's right is being curtailed. I said have another award to highlight their value. Students or working here like in the PBA needs to have another set of awards.

I am particularly pointing to our big men and not other positions.
                    until we have produced the same caliber big men, ok, include all positions. at near par with any US team or European team (Koreans) at most level, the incentive of an MVP must only be for PInoys. That is an incentive for our players to aim for.

Of course the US Basketball teams, columnists will not raise a howl if Kobe or a foreigner wins the MVP. Since these countries are bar none better than us in every position, if kobe wins the award it only means he is really very good. That can't be said here in the Philippines. It is obvious that most of these imports are truly better, if not skillfully but physically. That is already a given and that is why they were recruited in the first place, to fill a gap. If they truly excel then give them the proper award for their effort of filling that gap. The MVP is therefore for those non-foreigners who now choose to up there game stacked against these imports, again let us not use the word "discrimination" so loosely. there is a fair reason naman why I said my opinion.

Comment

I agree with your First paragraph. I disagree with you with the MVP. Don't use the word discrimination so loosely in this case as if someone's right is being curtailed. I said have another award to highlight their value. Students or working here like in the PBA needs to have another set of awards.

until we have produced the same caliber big men, ok, include all positions. at near par with any US team or European team (Koreans) at most level, the incentive of an MVP must only be for PInoys. That is an incentive for our players to aim for.

Of course the US Basketball teams, columnists will not raise a howl if Kobe or a foreigner wins the MVP. Since these countries are bar none better than us in every position, if kobe wins the award it only means he is really very good. That can't be said here in the Philippines. It is obvious that most of these imports are truly better, if not skillfully but physically. That is already a given and that is why they were recruited in the first place, to fill a gap. If they truly excel then give them the proper award for their effort of filling that gap. The MVP is therefore for those non-foreigners who now choose to up there game stacked against these imports, again let us not use the word "discrimination" so loosely. there is a fair reason naman why I said my opinion.
                      MVP means most valuable PLAYER right? any player irregardless of nationality is eligible to win an award. theirs no need of seperation of award. any local collegiate leagues must treat a foreign athlete equally not differently.

i would totally understand you give mvp and best import award separately in pro ranks but in collegiate leagues? nope.
                      Last edited by Silent Killer; 11-18-2017, 03:33 AM.

sigpic

Comment

So you want to exclude foreigners from receiving awards? What's the point of that?

Comment

• Exclude them from the MVP race and just have a special award like i the PBA

Comment

MVP means most valuable PLAYER right? any player irregardless of nationality is eligible to win an award. theirs no need of seperation of award. any local collegiate leagues must treat a foreign athlete equally not differently.

i would totally understand you give mvp and best import award separately in pro ranks but in collegiate leagues? nope.
                            Why only in the pro rank and not in college? Explain to me why only 1 import must only be on the floor during game time. Bevause if you are saying we treat them like local students then why not let all of them try out for the team and eventually stack up the teams with foreigners. The obvious reason is that they are there to address gaps in the skills in a team. Special case. After college that credential is nothing. It can't even be used for the pro ranks here. But give that award to locals for now then they will have a good use for that in their local basketball career

Comment

• Let's say only ouattara is the only foreign player in uaap and you gave the "special award" on ouattara as the best foreign player in the league being the lone foreign player in the league?

Again irregardless of nationality, he's eligible for any awards in collegiate league. It'll be funny if US ncaa will name a best foreign player award on each conferences as US ncaa treat each students as EQUAL..

sigpic

Comment

Let's say only ouattara is the only foreign player in uaap and you gave the "special award" on ouattara as the best foreign player in the league being the lone foreign player in the league?

Again irregardless of nationality, he's eligible for any awards in collegiate league. It'll be funny if US ncaa will name a best foreign player award on each conferences as US ncaa treat each students as EQUAL..
                                Point taken. I don't care about any league in our discussion. One option > not to give any if no one is deserving or there is no competition. Simple as that. No complications. First things first, priority and urgency takes precedence. We cater first to our locals. Foreigners will understand the circumstances. When we reach that ultimate goal of excellence of out college players then we can open MVP to foreigners. No need to compare ourselves with other leagues or countries.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information