• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We'll go to Beijing or Die Trying - Chot Reyes

We’ll go to Beijing or die trying – Chot
    By Nelson Beltran
    Thursday, June 7, 2007

It will be as difficult as scaling the Great Wall.

The Philippine team found its awesome task of getting into the Olympics again further compounded by drawing the toughest group in the 24th FIBA-Asian championship in Tokushima, Japan from July 28 to Aug. 5.

The Nationals have found themselves in a formidable company in the 16-team Asian Olympic qualifier with defending champion China and powerhouse challengers Iran and Jordan in the group.

“Unfortunately, we’re in the Group of Death,” said RP team coach Chot Reyes upon learning of the draw held in Tokushima yesterday.

“(The result) couldn’t have been worst. China and Iran are the biggest teams in terms of height and they’re tough. Jordan won’t be easy,” Reyes added of the RP team’s Group A.

Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Japan make up Group B; Qatar, India, Kazakhstan and Indonesia Group C and South Korea, Hong Kong, Syria and Chinese Taipei Group D.

Reyes said it could be a lot easier making the quarterfinals had they been bracketed in Group B or Group C.

“You work so hard to prepare only to leave your fate to the luck of the draw. However, this team and this country have come too far to be denied. It is not our style to dwell on negatives,” said Reyes.

“Our focus now is how to beat Iran and Jordan. China will take care of itself. We will go to Beijing or we will die trying,” Reyes added.

One thing going for RP is the fact that Reyes and his staff have scouted Iran and Jordan, third and fourth placers, respectively, in the Doha Asian Games.

“We’re familiar with those teams. We know that Jordan has a naturalized players in Raheim White, a touring pro who used to play as import in the Jordanian league,” said Reyes.

Incidentally, the Philippines suffered a 47-63 defeat in a three-quarter tune-up game with Iran during the rest day in the recent FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Tehran, Iran. The Iran team features three centers standing at least 6-foot-11.

“Another good thing with this draw is the possibility of lighter assignments in the quarterfinals. The problem is how to get out of the group games,” said Reyes.

But Reyes stressed they will do their best to achieve their goal of making it to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

BAP-SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio attended the draw supervised by FIBA Asia first deputy secretary general Khajirian Hagop of Lebanon.

“The Philippines was drawn second to last. The draw was fair with media coverage,” said Gregorio in a text message.

source: philstar.com

man,its about time we kick some ass!
    I'm Living Life in the Fastlane

I pretty like the draw..againts China..I've been waiting for this day a long time..I think we can beat them all..We got a lot of firepower in our team..It's time for ritualo to shine..he's our secret weapon..

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWalker
      “You work so hard to prepare only to leave your fate to the luck of the draw. However, this team and this country have come too far to be denied. It is not our style to dwell on negatives,” said Reyes.

“Our focus now is how to beat Iran and Jordan. China will take care of itself. We will go to Beijing or we will die trying,” Reyes added.

Now that's the attitued I want for our NT.

Comment

Originally posted by spreekanick
        I pretty like the draw..againts China..I've been waiting for this day a long time..I think we can beat them all..We got a lot of firepower in our team..It's time for ritualo to shine..he's our secret weapon..

I would not want only Ritualo to shine but our entire team. Good luck to Team Pilipinas!

Comment

i like the the attitude of chot... that's what we need... and as far as our grouping, i consider it more as a challenge... since our grouping is really tough then it will motivate more our team to play their best... unlike if we are group in a very poor group, we might be too overconfident and lose our focus comes the quarterfinals... IF WE WANT TO BE THE BEST WE GOT TO BEAT THE BEST... that's the way to go... GO PILIPINAS!!!

Comment

-

well, i hope mark starts to spark and danny to explode in japan! dyan pa nman si jong and tim! WHOOO! magaling ba mag coach si coach bingky favis?
            for all the teams who will play in the fiba asia championship, IF U WANT SOME COME GET SOME!! Mga kids, magdasal kyo na manalo sana yng rp team! PLSS!
            we have to believe in them! at sa mga pinoy sa japan, magsupport nman kyo!! magdala rin ng bandila ng pinas! WHOOO! sana nman gaganda na ang laro ni raniel at kerby! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
            IT'S NOT END OF THE WORLD, IN FACT IT JUST STARTED! THE RISE OF PHILIPPINE BASKETBAL!!!

Comment

Nobody Said It Will Be Easy

puro salita si chot! ano ba yan! ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS!! puro salita wla nman nangyayari sa RP TEAM!
              4th place in asia club championships
              lamang ang thailand sa pinas nung first q. sa last SEABA championships!!
              i still believe in him nman, 3 time coach of the yr.,i think
              IT'S NOT END OF THE WORLD, IN FACT IT JUST STARTED! THE RISE OF PHILIPPINE BASKETBAL!!!

Comment

All I have to say is... LET'S GET IT ON!!!

Comment

100%

Basta 100% na sila pagdating nila sa Japan, I believe malaki chance natin

Comment

what pathetic words...im in beijing, i didn't die trying. sure almost everyday my mind is numb or I have a slight headache from trying to learn this language, not to mention the noisy fuckers in my class. if i can make it here, im sure the rp squad can...with a lot of luck and bribes of course
                    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
                      what pathetic words...im in beijing, i didn't die trying. sure almost everyday my mind is numb or I have a slight headache from trying to learn this language, not to mention the noisy fuckers in my class. if i can make it here, im sure the rp squad can...with a lot of luck and bribes of course

It's more than obvious that Coach Chot Reyes meant qualifying for the Olympics.
                      Last edited by ctongco; 06-06-2007, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spreekanick
                        !*&!!!!! WHAT? you've just revealed a secret if it's a secret mate.

Comment

Best of Luck to Team Pilipinas. GOD SPEED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maxpayne

Comment

Originally posted by maxpayne

Good Point matie. Harrr... Savvy

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information