Filipino footballers in Europe's top divisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipino footballers in Europe's top divisions

Julián “Bobby” de Guzmán (born March 25, 1981 in Toronto, Ontario, is a professional football (soccer) player. He recently signed for Deportivo de La Coruña in the First Division of La Liga of Spain, becoming the first Canadian to play in Spain's La Liga.

For the Canadian national team, de Guzmán has 16 caps to date. Younger brother Jonathan de Guzmán also plays professional football for Netherlands club Feyenoord Rotterdam. Their father is Filipino, while their mother is Jamaican.

Jonathan de Guzmán (born on September 12, 1987 in Toronto, Canada) is a Filipino - Canadian midfielder for Feyenoord Rotterdam of the Dutch Eredivisie.

The promising midfielder left Canada when he was 12 years old and joined the Feyenoord youth. He was not allowed to play for the first team before he was 18 years old. After his debut against SC Heerenveen he has become a key player quite quickly. Jonathan scored his first professional goal in the 9th minute against Willem II Tilburg on September 30, 2005. He is considered as a great prospect for the future

Dennis Mengoy Cagara (born February 19, 1985) is a Filipino - Danish professional football player, who plays as a left-sided defender for Hertha BSC Berlin in the German Bundesliga. He has played six games for the Denmark national under-21 football team.

Jerry Ruben Lucena (born 11 August 1980) is a Filipino - Danish professional football defender and midfielder, who currently plays for the Danish Superliga side Esbjerg fB. Once a member of Denmark's under 21 national team.

Originally posted by FilWelsh
    Julián “Bobby” de Guzmán (born March 25, 1981 in Toronto, Ontario, is a professional football (soccer) player. He recently signed for Deportivo de La Coruña in the First Division of La Liga of Spain, becoming the first Canadian to play in Spain's La Liga.

For the Canadian national team, de Guzmán has 16 caps to date. Younger brother Jonathan de Guzmán also plays professional football for Netherlands club Feyenoord Rotterdam. Their father is Filipino, while their mother is Jamaican.

Jonathan de Guzmán (born on September 12, 1987 in Toronto, Canada) is a Filipino - Canadian midfielder for Feyenoord Rotterdam of the Dutch Eredivisie.

The promising midfielder left Canada when he was 12 years old and joined the Feyenoord youth. He was not allowed to play for the first team before he was 18 years old. After his debut against SC Heerenveen he has become a key player quite quickly. Jonathan scored his first professional goal in the 9th minute against Willem II Tilburg on September 30, 2005. He is considered as a great prospect for the future

Dennis Mengoy Cagara (born February 19, 1985) is a Filipino - Danish professional football player, who plays as a left-sided defender for Hertha BSC Berlin in the German Bundesliga. He has played six games for the Denmark national under-21 football team.

Jerry Ruben Lucena (born 11 August 1980) is a Filipino - Danish professional football defender and midfielder, who currently plays for the Danish Superliga side Esbjerg fB. Once a member of Denmark's under 21 national team.
    i was wondering if this players are eligible to play for the Soccer NT. we needed this kind of players so badly.
    I'm Living Life in the Fastlane

Comment

Filipino is one of the Barcelona all-time leaders in goals. Cagara and Lucena can't play for your NT(u-21 caps). Jonathan de Guzmán wants to play for Netherlands but his brother plays for Canada... FIFA at her best
      47-70
      76-58

Comment

Now if we get these guys together with the Younghusband brothers, we may finally get the SEA games gold.

Btw, does anyone remember which of the brothers plays for Chelsea?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWalker
          i was wondering if this players are eligible to play for the Soccer NT. we needed this kind of players so badly.
          I doubt if Jonathan de Guzmán will ever play for the azkals... it will either be canada or holland...
          Jarinx Basketball @BuzzerBeater.com
          http://www.buzzerbeater.com/team/107143/overview.aspx

Comment

Not if we approach him first and try to lure him in with the "big fish in a small pond" approach.

Comment

Originally posted by jramoyo
              I doubt if Jonathan de Guzmán will ever play for the azkals... it will either be canada or holland...
              if we only have our own professional soccer league, i think we can get this players. just like what PBA is doing. a lots of fil-foreign abroad are looking forward to play for our RP team in exchange of getting into the PBA to earn millions. sad, but true. the only thing that matters in this world is money. thats why i admire the Younghusband brother, though they know, that RP soccer cant offer them millions, they still stick to our team. as a chelsea reserve in england, he earns more than the salary he's getting from the Rp team.
              I'm Living Life in the Fastlane

Comment

Originally posted by el presidente
                Not if we approach him first and try to lure him in with the "big fish in a small pond" approach.
                this guy is way better than the Younghusbands, he IS a big fish in that sort of pond... (pure pinoy blood as i know)

besides, why would he pass-out on the opportunity to possibly play in the World Cup and UEFA Cup when all the Azkals can offer is a SEA Games and an ASEAN championship appearance?
                Jarinx Basketball @BuzzerBeater.com
                http://www.buzzerbeater.com/team/107143/overview.aspx

Comment

He can still play for the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup as a Filipino. Besides, the Dutch side has never gotten beyond the semis of the World Cup since 1978 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikoo
                    Filipino is one of the Barcelona all-time leaders in goals. Cagara and Lucena can't play for your NT(u-21 caps). Jonathan de Guzmán wants to play for Netherlands but his brother plays for Canada... FIFA at her best
                    Its Paulino Alcantara... still holds the record for the most goals scored for Barcelona and the distinction for being the youngest player ever to play for Barcelona's first team... he played for the Philippines in the Far Eastern Games and later for Spain in Europe...

sigpic

Comment

Just remembered from last two months... James Hall, a part-Filipino, plays for the Everton in the English Premiership... he was invited to play for the RP national team wasn't able to...

sigpic

Comment

What's the big fish in a small pond approach. Is this universal quotation?

Comment

It is too bad you don't understand lol
                          IRAN - THE BEST BASKETBALL NATION IN ASIA

Congratulations Jia You Iran

Comment

I always expected the Philippines to be great in football, I believe they founded the asian football federation, a filipino has a retired number in spain and is part of the hall of fame. I am hoping we get back to our proper place.

My other country, Tajikistan has a good team though we lost all of a sudden to Australia, if they both dont make it to the world cup, Ill be cheering for iran.

Comment

Now if we get these guys together with the Younghusband brothers, we may finally get the SEA games gold.

Btw, does anyone remember which of the brothers plays for Chelsea?
                              chelsea reserves/development. not real chelsea A
                              ================================================== =========================================

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information