Lithuanian NT 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
    That team was Kazlauskas legacy, he was building it since 1997 and when it matured, they played great basketball in 1999/2000. It never was slow with too much sets or smth. It was smart offensive basketball, just the way Zalgiris won Saporta and EL. Kazlauskas overall never was just defensive minded coach, just he tried to adapt to situation, players he has and take the best of them. So Sireika as former assistant just took over and changed nothing, only thing he needed to do to was not spoil it all, players themselves were just doin' it all with Saras bein' more of a coach on court, but when it looked like Sireika won't spoil it, he did it in the worst time possible, that famous 2004 semi, he made disastrous moves and not only couldn't help when it was tough, like good coach supposed to, but he even made it worse with unthinkable rotation. Other than that, he dumped Donnie Nelson from making opposition analysis and preparing defensive tactics like Nelson used to for years. I already wrote how we suffered in defense back in 2004, especially perimeter. That was another disastrous move and we were punished basically in every single game, luckily we had brilliant offense to save our asses.
    I don't want to be harsh on Antanas, he is great guy and good psychologist and sure he is not the only one to blame here of course, but that loss is mostly on him, coach must step up in such situations and it was arguably biggest loss in our bball history. It's hard to get over it even now. I saw him for years in Zalgiris, he basically did no tactics, was poor with in-game decisions with another highlight of his career bein' famous Maccabi-Zalgiris ending, when he didn't put defender infront of inbounding Burstein... another unforgivable schoolboy error which ended up horribly. Overall, I couldn't call him bad coach, but he wasn't good either, atleast good enough to spare us from remember these two awful games
    Youre probably right, I dont remember all these details since I didnt follow basketball so much back then like now. I was just casual fan.

Comment

• Tallent wise overall 00s was best times for us.We played best basketball in that decade.In 90s we had two superstars, without any doubt 2 of top5 european players back than was on our team.Now in 10s we have good solid team that plays hard and competes, but not a single one game changer player.Still our team perform well in playoffs , tradition and pride of lithuanian basketball is still there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
        Maybe it might sound a bit sacrilegiously, bearing in mind our results, but even without all the talent we missed, we could achieve more
        You have a point here. When I picked that 00's all roster I had a bit of a doubt about Slanina and for some folks this is not so much of a name, but he was nailing 16,6 ppg for Žalgiris in 2001/2 season. Show me now Lithuanian guard who could do that? I pretty much doubt any of our current SGs would be able to do that, even given 30 minutes at below average Euroleague's club. And yet Slanina was basically a bench warmer for 00's NTs.

00's could achieve so much more, but here's the thing - we were realistically contending in almost (with exception of 2001, whatever happened there...) all tournaments when stars showed up since 2000. We were second best team in 2000 OG (which is huge and IMO best Olympics for Lithuania of all time), champs of 2003, played as the best or second best team till semis in 2004 OG, dominated 2007 EB till Šaras got minor injury, nearly sneaking into the final of 2008 OG. Some heart breaking losses, but it was close losses and we were legit contenders.

And here's the truth, we have never realistically contended in 10's so far. Not even in 2013 and 2015. When you get swept in the final, you can't say you were legit contender.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
          You have a point here. When I picked that 00's all roster I had a bit of a doubt about Slanina and for some folks this is not so much of a name, but he was nailing 16,6 ppg for Žalgiris in 2001/2 season. Show me now Lithuanian guard who could do that? I pretty much doubt any of our current SGs would be able to do that, even given 30 minutes at below average Euroleague's club. And yet Slanina was basically a bench warmer for 00's NTs.
          Yeah, and after Zalgiris, Slanina was close to 20ppg and decent shooting % in ACB play-offs contender team in 2002-2004. He was really good, he could score in many different ways and I would go as far as sayin' that he would be sure starter in current team, but he was getting close to none playin' time in NT... Imagine that now. That's how deep our backcourt was and that was without already mentioned Timinskas and Kaukenas

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
          00's could achieve so much more, but here's the thing - we were realistically contending in almost (with exception of 2001, whatever happened there...) all tournaments when stars showed up since 2000. We were second best team in 2000 OG (which is huge and IMO best Olympics for Lithuania of all time), champs of 2003, played as the best or second best team till semis in 2004 OG, dominated 2007 EB till Šaras got minor injury, nearly sneaking into the final of 2008 OG. Some heart breaking losses, but it was close losses and we were legit contenders.

And here's the truth, we have never realistically contended in 10's so far. Not even in 2013 and 2015. When you get swept in the final, you can't say you were legit contender.
          Actually in 2000 nobody really expected much from that team Sabas got injured and decided not to play, Karnisovas couldn't play cause of injuries, basically our two biggest stars. Einikis, which was still really good back then, was almost dropped from NT before tournament due to well known reasons But then he signed some agreement and was brought back, we simply couldn't afford to miss him too. And thnx god that federation and coaches took such decision. After leaving Zalgiris, lot of players came after quite bad seasons. Losses in preparations. Young team, 8 Olympic debutants. So not everything went smooth, then that ugly loss vs Italy in opener 49-50 or so... But after that smth changed our team, maybe players just said to themselves - what the fck, we have nothing to lose and let's enjoy the experience, cause against France it was totally different team, then good resistance vs USA was huge morale boost. It was a pure joy and excitement to watch our team play. Looking at whole tournament, Saras matured so much after a year with Sagadin in Olimpija, which was a key. Maybe I wouldn't agree with you that it was the best Olympics, of course it's up to everyone's taste. I'd say 1992 bronze was so much sweeter, remembering all the circumstances, our first Olympics after 50 years of occupation, beating Soviets (ok, CIS or whatever it was ) in decisive game... what could've been better. But 2000 surely comes as 2nd one talking about good finish and excitement it brought
          Then in 2001 we were seen as contenders and we were, afterall we were Olympic medalists, but federation made some freaking dumb moves in preparations, some key players like Saras were totally out of shape, Stombergas got injured and we fucked up. The worst came after, when after huge avalanche of critics Kazlauskas resigned. Maybe it should've happened after such tournament, some heads must fall, while Kazlauskas was always too sensitive regarding critics, but federation could've been smarter, give him some time, especially when they were responsible here too. Anyway, what happened happened.
          Good that till 2003 we managed to clean our heads, had good qualifiers. Still, we were discussing with friends lot of times, what would've happened if that first game vs Latvia in 2003 would've been lost... especially remembering that lucky Macas' triple in the end of OT, when ball hit the side of the board... Who knows

Comment

• I dont think that game in 2000 versus Italy and very close lose was even a suprise that we lost. Before that game Italy was the favorites to win that game,not us without Sabonis and Karnisovas.Dont forget Italy was 1999 eurobasket champions,i believe that game was the key,when our younger team saw,that if they lost only by 1 point to european champions,they can play and from that point their game just become better and better.Same happend in 2010 after game versus Spain.Young teams needs to find a believe,when you are not sure how good you are.Similiar thing happend in 2013 vs Bosnia.Teams in those tournaments needs such type games,that test you and your team stability,after such games you fall apart or entire team gets united.For example in 2016 after game versus Spain we fell apart,in 2013 that game united the team and everybody came together.

I have said it before we lithuanians play better when we are underdogs.People forget that before 2000 and 2010 tournaments we were surely underdogs and in even 2003 to some degree too.Back in 2003 nobody knew how well can play Macijauskas and Siskauskas on highest level.In 1999,2001,2004,2011 we were one of main favorites and things didnt went well.

We need that somebody test us and only if we survive that test,we become very dangerous and united team.We need that somebody critize us and give us motivation to proove something.We even need fiascos like 2001 and 2009 to next year comeback stronger than ever (2003 and 2010).Its hard to explain,but when you look at your nt team history in tournaments,you can find such behaviuor not once or twice in last 25years.

I always like that before tournament our team is ranked like 6 or 7 or gets lots negative media articles,than i know they gonna come focused and motivated to play.And im always worry when they put as in rankings high and writes lots of good things about our team.
            Last edited by Shawshank; 04-28-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• You fellows are depressing me. Should I give up now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                You fellows are depressing me. Should I give up now?

You came back only when we started to write really dark things about current NT, maybe that's for the better

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Lithuania will play against Poland, Hungary and one yet unknown NT. The qualification to WC will take place in November. If we will miss all 4 NBA players, it's not going to be an easy task, but hope we would still have a very solid team for such tournament.

Something like this I guess:

Kalnietis, Lekavicius
                  Grigonis, Seibutis, Milaknis
                  Maciulis, Ulanovas
                  Jankunas, Orelikas, Sedekerskis
                  Gudaitis, Kavaliauskas

PS: Seems like Kristof Lavrinovic wouldn't mind to play for the NT...still. Seems like Adomaitis talked with him about possibility to play in November.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Lithuania will play against Poland, Hungary and one yet unknown NT. The qualification to WC will take place in November. If we will miss all 4 NBA players, it's not going to be an easy task, but hope we would still have a very solid team for such tournament.

Something like this I guess:

Kalnietis, Lekavicius
                    Grigonis, Seibutis, Milaknis
                    Maciulis, Ulanovas
                    Jankunas, Orelikas, Sedekerskis
                    Gudaitis, Kavaliauskas

PS: Seems like Kristof Lavrinovic wouldn't mind to play for the NT...still. Seems like Adomaitis talked with him about possibility to play in November.
                    Basicly sending Zalgiris to do the job.

Comment

• But did euroleague agree to let players play in those calendar window dates? Motiejunas last year said euroleague gonna decide on that in euroleague club managers meeting.Maybe i missed but i didnt read no news regarding euroleague players playing in the middle of the season.

Fiba and euroleague is not friends say the least here.

Nba wont allow to play its already clear, they said even usa gonna play without nba players.

Comment

• Delininkaitis told the press today that got the call from Adomaitis and they talked about nt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                          Delininkaitis told the press today that got the call from Adomaitis and they talked about nt.
                          Interesting...we have no NBA guards so that probably means Adomaitis considering him for EB 2017.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• D.Motiejunas in newest interview same shit: this summer for him is ale critical.Or he gets long term nba contract or he leaves nba.He was asked what is his plans this summer: he talked only about his camp and no nt.When he was directly asked about nt: he said i want to play , if things went with his contract fast, he will join.Same as always, he will wait long and only than will sign with some euroleague club most likely scenerio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                              D.Motiejunas in newest interview same shit: this summer for him is ale critical.Or he gets long term nba contract or he leaves nba.He was asked what is his plans this summer: he talked only about his camp and no nt.When he was directly asked about nt: he said i want to play , if things went with his contract fast, he will join.Same as always, he will wait long and only than will sign with some euroleague club most likely scenerio.
                              We don't really need current Motiejunas. Jankunas, Sabonis, Kuzminskas - all are better players now, in better shape. Besides, all play hard, don't have injury record. We really don't need cautious like hurt animal current Motiejunas.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Interesting...we have no NBA guards so that probably means Adomaitis considering him for EB 2017.
                                Both are just for qualies as we might be short of atleast good LKL level players. They would help if needed and that's really nice to know

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information