Lithuanian NT 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
    Sadly I don't think they would have let me up into the spotter's booth even had I flown to France for the game.
    The game was on TV and internet. I'm pretty sure you could easily find it even now online. But I was reffering not to this game only, but basketball generally. Judging everything on stats is just wrong way to go, very wrong

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
    Actually I see that the only Euroleague team for which Milaknis has played is Žalgiris. And while some of you fellows evidently think that playing for Žalgiris should be enough to make the Team Lietuva roster, I disagree.
    Where did I write that it's enough to play for Zalgiris to be in NT? I wrote you clearly in few posts why Milaknis should be considered and what is his advantages

But if this particular Žalgiris player is clearly that much better than the other two or three candidates, there's no problem anyway. He should easily come out ahead in any competition for a spot on the team.
    For the last time, there are no other 2-3 candidates. Milaknis has his strong parts, he is role player. There's only Gecevicius with close characteristics to him. Period. Then for coach to decide what he needs. Combo guard, shooter or some wing

And it's not that I ever had a particularly strong opinion about Milaknis. I was just wondering why some posters were conceding him a position on the final roster, you know as if the SG position were his to lose. That's what caught my attention. After all, he's not exactly done much for the national team previously. (Juškevičius has actually done more.)
    I explained to you why... twice, only today. I did the same some week ago. Akso if you say that Milaknis hasn't done much for NT, that can't be a factor to decide, then why you instantly say that Juskevicius done more previously, so suddenly that becames a factor? Sounds contradictory

So, sure, Milaknis if he looks better than the other two or three on the basis of his performance. But conceding him the position as if he were Marčiulionis or Jasikevičius or somebody with a history of achievement on the team? No way! The byword is he has to earn his place.
    Marciulionis, Jasikevicius, conceding position. It must be hot day in Toronto. C'mon man, do we need this imaginary stuff, did I say smth close to that? Or anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      ...Milaknis should be considered and what is his advantages.
      Yes. On that point we're agreed. Milaknis has his advantages and can and should be considered for the team.

Comment

Actually just the opposite! I'd keep them all there to the end to get as much data as possible. That's why I'm saddened by Giedraitis having been let go after so few minutes of playing time.
        Well that just wouldn't be right either, how are the players especially the locks supposed to create team chemistry before the championship with constant experimenting in the way ? By or after the game against Latvia we should be almost settled as the final team of 12, maybe one of our guards being set aside incase someone gets an injury.
        Last edited by Modis; 08-11-2017, 10:26 PM.
        Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
        FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
        FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
          Akso if you say that Milaknis hasn't done much for NT, that can't be a factor to decide, then why you instantly say that Juskevicius done more previously, so suddenly that becames a factor? Sounds contradictory.
          I mentioned Juškevičius only because you had mentioned Juškevičius in comparison to put him down:

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
          Such "one-dimensional" player like Milaknis is playin' in Euroleague for years, while such "all-around" player like Juskevicius barely can find a place in Eurocup team.
          Like I say, let 'em all compete for a position.

Comment

I mentioned Juškevičius only because you had mentioned Juškevičius in comparison to put him down:
            Jeez, Hepcat, just go to previous page and see who started this comparison stuff between Milaknis, Juskevicius, and co. with all the stats... Now you take one line out of whole post and point finger on me like I am comparing the players, even tho I clearly wrote totally opposite, not even once or twice. And yeah, Milaknis will compete with Juskevicius for a position, like Milaknis is competing with Lekavicius, Gailius, Kairys and etc...

Comment

• I feel sorry for Evaldas Kairys . Here he gets called to the national team training camp for the first time ever and he hurts himself before even getting the chance to don the uniform for a friendly game.

What's his injury anyway?

Comment

I feel sorry for Evaldas Kairys . Here he gets called to the national team training camp for the first time ever and he hurts himself before even getting the chance to don the uniform for a friendly game.

What's his injury anyway?

Its the same as Grigonis sprained ankle
                Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
                FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
                FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashtrusis_dantis View Post
                  People, calm down... For me it is always mind-blowing, all these furious discussions about friendly games. Don't you get it - friendly games are to find what works wrong. Could I remind you - we won almost all friendly games during preparation for OG2016, won against Spain 2 times (in Spain if I remember correct)... Remind me how it ended in Rio?
                  Here's a better way to look at the question though. When was the last time Team Lietuva struggled during the friendlies and then did really well in the actual tournament? Was it 2010? I don't remember how the team did in friendlies prior to 2011.

Comment

Here's a better way to look at the question though. When was the last time Team Lietuva struggled during the friendlies and then did really well in the actual tournament? Was it 2010? I don't remember how the team did in friendlies prior to 2011.

Comment

you don't have to be a genius to realise that this team has huge flaws rooted within it's roster...
                      first and foremost, you can't achieve anything significant in modern basketball with the current guards lineup that we have - all of them are slow footed, defensively challenged and inadequate backcourt players at this level. You can't expect Kalnietis to transform into white Russell Westbrook every summer that he plays for NT - he's getting older and his decline is already noticeable. His miniature replacement Lekavicius is trying hard but is severely limited by is physical tools unfortunately. So really no matter how awesome our frontline is if the backcourt players are not up to the task at hand....I expect this team to reach quarterfinals though and that would already be a huge achievement for this squad and this coach

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
                        you don't have to be a genius to realise that this team has huge flaws rooted within it's roster...
                        first and foremost, you can't achieve anything significant in modern basketball with the current guards lineup that we have - all of them are slow footed, defensively challenged and inadequate backcourt players at this level. You can't expect Kalnietis to transform into white Russell Westbrook every summer that he plays for NT - he's getting older and his decline is already noticeable. His miniature replacement Lekavicius is trying hard but is severely limited by is physical tools unfortunately. So really no matter how awesome our frontline is if the backcourt players are not up to the task at hand....I expect this team to reach quarterfinals though and that would already be a huge achievement for this squad and this coach
                        Im more of a opinion that our bigs are equally bad this year. None of them can cover pnr and none of them can switch. So that will be exploited every single game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svajunas View Post
                          Im more of a opinion that our bigs are equally bad this year. None of them can cover pnr and none of them can switch. So that will be exploited every single game.
                          Actually I think Team Lietuva's bigs are an even bigger weakness this summer than its guards. For one thing, I count only three healthy ones right now which is at least one too few. Secondly with the exception of the game against Poland both Jonas Valančiūnas and Donatas Motiejūnas have struggled so far. The play of Artūras Gudaitis though has been a pleasant surprise to this point.

Admittedly the team could use Renaldas Seibutis' defence this summer. Nonetheless for the first time since 2012 the team appears to have a back-up PG who can play. And Martynas Gecevičius seems to have finally brought his game to camp this year. If Marius Grigonis recovers from his sprained ankle on a timely basis, this could/should be Team Lietuva's best back court since 2012.

Last edited by Hepcat; 08-15-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
                            Anyway, his(Valančiūnas') offense was never an issue and never will be an issue as long as he gets the ball in his hot spots, which is another matter altogether switching from playing with an NBA all star guard like Lowry to some euro guy who has trouble handling the basketball let alone making pin point precision passes. French backcourt ran circles around ours and once again showcased ineptitude of our slow footed guards...
                            Originally posted by madmax View Post
                            In just under twenty minutes on the court against France last Thursday Jonas Valančiūnas pulled down only three rebounds and notched an efficiency rating of 9. That's disappointing, and you can't blame the team's guards for those numbers.

You're not doing your favourite player any favours by continually blaming his teammates whenever he doesn't play well. If Jonas Valančiūnas himself constantly blamed his teammates as opposed to working on the areas of his game that opponents showed to be flawed, he would not have gotten beyond playing semi-pro ball in the NKL. A willingness to learn from mistakes and work on one's weaknesses is necessary not only in basketball but in any field of endeavour. If you constantly blame others, you'll excel at nothing in life.

Like I say, I cheer for every player on the Lithuanian team to do well. But that does not mean I stick my head in the sand and refuse to recognize when they're not doing so well. Nor I'm sure does Coach Adomaitis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svajunas View Post
                              I'm wondering whether Coach Adomaitis should therefore try a zone defence instead of man-to-man. And since zone defences are hardly ever used anymore, it would be something "new" and different to which opposing coaches might struggle to adapt.

Last edited by Hepcat; 08-15-2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I'm wondering whether Coach Adomaitis should therefore try a zone defence instead of man-to-man. And since zone defences are hardly ever used anymore, it would be something "new" and different to which opposing coaches might struggle to adapt.

I think if Grigonis succeeds return in the team after the injury and Motiejunas will accelerate, we will have a more stronger team than the silver EC-2013 and EC-2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information