Lithuanian NT 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    I don't really know much about current Bendzius, but he basically could only shoot...That kind of players usually are not NT material.
    Might Evaldas Kairys not be an alternative to Eimantas Bendžius for the PF position?

Evaldas.jpg

So far Kairys has received nary a mention in this thread and I'm now wondering whether he should not be overlooked.

Comment

Except for Sedekerskis. Both most likely wouldn't make much of an impact if any, but as EB concerned I see much more sense going with young player with massive upside. Besides, again, Bendzius, despite his experience and everything, is a one trick pony and he is so awkward while trying to post up or do anything in the paint. But, again, I can understand this move, because NT will really have to play in WC qualifications, most likely without EL players...

PS: I think Adomaitis also wasn't that sagacious not to include the same Ehodas in extended roster...tell me that in the case of D-Mo's, Sabonis', Jankunas', Orelikas' absence he wouldn't want to at least take a look at Ehodas in the camp...
      I guess none could predict that there'll be problems with PF. Even if D-Mo and Jankunas were questionable, then Sabonis and Orelik, who had lifetime chance to make NT, looked like a sure thing to be there. Also the same trio SFs, who can contribute as PF were available. So I doubt someone missed Echodas there. Tbh, I don't miss him even now. IMO he is still too raw to have chances. He made some noise only in very weak Siauliai last season, IMO it's needed smth more to be considered. The same Sedekerskis looks more ready, but as I wrote before, he is SF in my book now and don't see him bein' able to play as PF productively at this level.

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
      Might Evaldas Kairys not be an alternative to Eimantas Bendžius for the PF position?

So far Kairys has received nary a mention in this thread and I'm now wondering whether he should not be overlooked.

Kairys and Bendzius are completely different players. Kairys is a C basically without proper shooting touch, so he can't be alternative for Bendzius.

Btw, tonight Motiejunas called Adomaitis and promised to be in NT camp, maybe a bit late. It's nice and so, but I'm wondering what could've happen if he'll sign an NBA contract till then...

Comment

• Let's not forget that Kairys, Bendzius, etc are here as aditional bodies for proper training process
        The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• So 2 huge news in one day. I had a feeling Pacers will lock Sabonis with personal trainers. He bricked too many threes for the Thunder and overall still needs to improve his physicality to be a really good player in NBA. Huge loss as Sabonis was much more ready and most likely much better player than current D-Mo. Now we should hope D-Mo can bring things on the table. Usually D-Mo needs a longer stretch to get it going, he really needs to play in all possible friendlies and more.

So now the frontline is more or less clear:

SF: Maciulis, Ulanovas
          PF: D-Mo. Kuzminskas
          C: JV, Gudaitis

Really not a fan of shoving in some mediocre player, but Adomaitis won't have any other options as to choose one of Bendzius/Gailius/Giedraitis I guess.

PG: Kalnietis, Lekavicius
          SG: Grigonis, Milaknis, Girdziunas/Gecevicius

That would be my backourt.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Really not a fan of shoving in some mediocre player, but Adomaitis won't have any other options as to choose one of Bendzius/Gailius/Giedraitis I guess.

Well then what is Milaknis doing in your lineup? He's been the very definition of mediocrity lately.

Comment

• I wonder what kind of "health issues" does Orelikas have? Is it so bad that he himself declined to attend camp despite having the first real chance to play a big role in this years NT? I hope its not another case of "not fitting the schemes" of the coach. We now look inredibly thin not only at SG but PF positions and Orelikas had amazing season (there are a very few LTU players these days that dominate at their respective teams like he did).

Comment

So 2 huge news in one day. I had a feeling Pacers will lock Sabonis with personal trainers. He bricked too many threes for the Thunder and overall still needs to improve his physicality to be a really good player in NBA. Huge loss as Sabonis was much more ready and most likely much better player than current D-Mo. Now we should hope D-Mo can bring things on the table. Usually D-Mo needs a longer stretch to get it going, he really needs to play in all possible friendlies and more.

I think Motejunas better like 5

Comment

• Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                  Offensively this position is perfect for him its just that he cant defend at 5 would collect quickly fouls But Adomaitis should surely experiment that in friendlies.
                  Last edited by Modis; 07-21-2017, 12:53 PM.
                  Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
                  FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
                  FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                    Who would play PF?
                    The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Originally posted by Precise View Post
                      I wonder what kind of "health issues" does Orelikas have? Is it so bad that he himself declined to attend camp despite having the first real chance to play a big role in this years NT? I hope its not another case of "not fitting the schemes" of the coach. We now look inredibly thin not only at SG but PF positions and Orelikas had amazing season (there are a very few LTU players these days that dominate at their respective teams like he did).
                      Adomaitis said it clearly that Orelik told him that he is having health issues and if someone has more question - ask Orelikas himself for explanation. So surely there're no "not fitting to system" issues. If you want some conspiracy theory, it's not hard to find one, Orelikas obviously knew that with all these players in preliminary list ,his chances to make NT is slim, so decided to skip it. Of course he couldn't knew what will happen later. Also he is known to be not the hardest working player outthere, so could just decide to take a rest, look for a new deal, instead working for no reason (as he might have thought).
                      Personally, with D-Mo joining NT, I'm not really worried about Orelikas absence

Comment

Now i wouldnt be suprised if somebody from centers gonna make a team Sajus or Kairys.Ale Andriuskevicius 2010,that basically didnt play,but was around if some injury happen to our bigs.I now it sound crazy,but it also very risky go to such long tournament with only 3 bigs...Kuzminskas is not big ,he plays like pure Sf.

On the other hand in small ball era those bigs are not needed as much as was 10years ago.Its should be good sign that we have 3 universal wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          So surely there're no "not fitting to system" issues. If you want some conspiracy theory, it's not hard to find one, Orelikas obviously knew that with all these players in preliminary list ,his chances to make NT is slim, so decided to skip it. Of course he couldn't knew what will happen later. Also he is known to be not the hardest working player outthere, so could just decide to take a rest, look for a new deal, instead working for no reason (as he might have thought).
                          Yes. I've previously heard that Gediminas Orelikas is not known for his work ethic. Pity. This year was his big chance to add Lithuanian National team member to his résumé. With youngsters Martynas Sajus, Egidijus Mockevičius and Laimonas Chatkevičius waiting in the wings, Orelikas might never get another chance.

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                          Now I wouldn't be suprised if somebody from centers gonna make a team Sajus or Kairys. A la Andriuskevicius 2010, that basically didn't play, but was around if some injury happen to our bigs. I now it sound crazy, but it also very risky go to such long tournament with only 3 bigs...Kuzminskas is not big, he plays like pure Sf.
                          I agree. I'd be nervous going into the tournament with only three real big fellows. Who would you lean to though, Evaldas Kairys or Martynas Sajus?

Last edited by Hepcat; 07-21-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                            Now i wouldnt be suprised if somebody from centers gonna make a team Sajus or Kairys.Ale Andriuskevicius 2010,that basically didnt play,but was around if some injury happen to our bigs.I now it sound crazy,but it also very risky go to such long tournament with only 3 bigs...Kuzminskas is not big ,he plays like pure Sf.

On the other hand in small ball era those bigs are not needed as much as was 10years ago.Its should be good sign that we have 3 universal wings.
                            If not Kuzminskas, then Maciulis could easily play as PF at both ends of the court, while Kuzminskas could switch to PF in offense against slower rivals. IMO it's enough to have JV + Gudaitis at C, also D-Mo can be there, at PF: D-Mo, Maciulis, Kuzia, Ulanovas, at SF: Kuzia, Maciulis, Ulanovas. Enough versatility and different options. As you say, basketball is very mobile these days, there are no more strickt positions, more and more tweeners. Talking about final roster, I'd guess it this way

SG: Grigonis, Milaknis, Gecevicius
                            SF: Kuzminskas (PF), Ulanovas (PF)
                            PF: D-Mo (C), Maciulis (SF)

These 11 should be on final roster, then 12th men... don't know, might be Gailius to cover SF/PF, might be some big for a bench (Sajus/Kairys). Depends how good each will perform in camp. But overall it doesn't really matter who'll take the last place

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              SG: Grigonis, Milaknis, Gecevicius
                              SF: Kuzminskas (PF), Ulanovas (PF)
                              PF: D-Mo (C), Maciulis (SF)
                              I would love if NT would do something like Spain and USA do, to announce 12 or say 12 and few most talented young candidates for the reserve early. We usually make silly mistakes with the camp flukes...In 2014 Vasiliauskas was a fluke, in 2016 Kariniauskas and Juskevicius. Just lock the best players, who played at the high level and start to prepare. When the ball will be hot, these camp flukes will reveal their real face anyway...

You might ask how with 19yo JV, Sabonis or 21yo Lekavicius...at the end of the day all of them already played in the high level (solid Rytas at the time, Unicaja and Zalgiris)...If the same Sedekerskis would had made the team (and I still think he had to be in the camp), it wouldn't be a surprise as well, he spent a season in Baskonia after all.
                              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                              Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I would love if NT would do something like Spain and USA do, to announce 12 or say 12 and few most talented young candidates for the reserve early. We usually make silly mistakes with the camp flukes...In 2014 Vasiliauskas was a fluke, in 2016 Kariniauskas and Juskevicius. Just lock the best players, who played at the high level and start to prepare. When the ball will be hot, these camp flukes will reveal their real face anyway...

You might ask how with 19yo JV, Sabonis or 21yo Lekavicius...at the end of the day all of them already played in the high level (solid Rytas at the time, Unicaja and Zalgiris)...If the same Sedekerskis would had made the team (and I still think he had to be in the camp), it wouldn't be a surprise as well, he spent a season in Baskonia after all.
                                Nor Spain, nor USA does that anymore. Spain announced 24 names last year, 27 for this Eurobasket. USA announced some ~30 names pool for Olympics IIRC, just bit by bit players were dropping out. Regarding our team, we simply don't have sure 12 players names. There's a core of around 8 players, which are locks, then you can't be sure who'll take the rest places. That's why you have these flukes, even tho I wouldn't call Vasiliauskas a fluke. Guy was destined to be 2nd PG with trash minutes, but Kalnietis injury in last friendly turned it all upside-down. So it's basically impossible to make perfect 12, when you don't have 12 NT caliber players for all positions and/or you can't take 7 bigs f.e. Closest to this we were in 2003-2004 period, but even back then we always needed some 1-2 bench players to fill the roster. Overall speaking, I don't have a problems with this current situation, cause everyone in camp, from players to coaches, realizes who are locks or who needs to step up. Also, as I wrote before, IMO this Lith soap opera, which starts every summer "who'll be 11-12th player in NT" gets too much unnecessary attention

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information