Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 U20 European Championship

another overtime for Montenegro.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    I picked the wrong game to watch, Iceland-France wrestling game with a little spice of volleyball; 17-22 HT.

I was curious about Tryggvi Hlinason, and he seems legit.
    I watched him first time today and I like a lot. athletic, mobile, good feel, still very raw. Probably end up in Euroleague if not NBA.

Edit: He already plays in Euroleague (with Valencia)

it seems to me like this lithuanian U-20 team has the same issues as a year younger one - there is no quality guard on either roster to properly run a half court offense and organise play. Despite having some quality forwards (like Echodas), there is just not a single one outstanding talent and especially not a single quality guard on either roster. Varnas is very mediocre and he's the best we have in the guard rotation? That doesn't sound very promising to me

Tamir Blatt is the striking prospect of the first two days. He is definitely bearing the basketball mind of his father. By having a mature taste for the game at this age, he is few steps ahead of his opponents and also teammates. The only negative point looks like his physical tools. If you turn a blind eye to this lameness that may constitute some problems at senior level, then he can be regarded as a fine prospect. I don't see nothing that he is not capable of doing on court when the main structures of skill-set matters. Let's look what his leadership will bring when the intensity of games becomes harder in next phases.

What's with the POP star, Lith head coach Marius Kiltinavičius? Dude pulled some Phil Jackson's or Pop's arrogance not to play your 2 best players in almost entire 4th quarter? Should either be genius or a retard...

Israel provided impressive shooting performance and played really aggressive. Congrats. Really interesting when the last time any Lith team lost against Israel, not to take anything from Israel which looked good tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    it seems to me like this lithuanian U-20 team has the same issues as a year younger one - there is no quality guard on either roster to properly run a half court offense and organise play. Despite having some quality forwards (like Echodas), there is just not a single one outstanding talent and especially not a single quality guard on either roster. Varnas is very mediocre and he's the best we have in the guard rotation? That doesn't sound very promising to me
    So now you're saying that you witnessing Varnas and Bieliauskas for the first time? Both are ballers, if you moan about this talented due, you must be completely ignorant of Lith youth level overall. We used to have horrific bakcourts at U-level, sometimes unimaginably bad. That might be the best due since 86' (Kalnietis, Pocius) or third best (after 94' Lekavicius, Grigonis). And U19 also had amazing 16yo PG talents for our standards. So you only showing you ignorance at this point. How is Varnas mediocre? He's dominating since U16. So far his numbers 19,5/6,5/1,5. He scored most of those in the clutch as well. "Very mediocre"...
    Last edited by Straight forward; 07-16-2017 at 10:39 PM.

The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by gockun View Post
    I watched him first time today and I like a lot. athletic, mobile, good feel, still very raw. Probably end up in Euroleague if not NBA.

Edit: He already plays in Euroleague (with Valencia)
    He recently signed with Valencia, yes. I think he has the tools to make a name for himself. He's listed as 2.16m, but he looks even bigger. I had seen an earlier video clip of him playing against Finland and he had looked like a real giant.

Quote Originally Posted by slice me nice View Post
    Tamir Blatt is the striking prospect of the first two days. He is definitely bearing the basketball mind of his father. By having a mature taste for the game at this age, he is few steps ahead of his opponents and also teammates. The only negative point looks like his physical tools. If you turn a blind eye to this lameness that may constitute some problems at senior level, then he can be regarded as a fine prospect. I don't see nothing that he is not capable of doing on court when the main structures of skill-set matters. Let's look what his leadership will bring when the intensity of games becomes harder in next phases.
    they had started flashy to last year's u20 tournament too, winning first two games, beating France by 20 points, etc, but later it did not end up well. They have added Zoosman this year, 2016 u18 team's star... it's an interesting team, but they shoot too much imho. Blatt also strangely tries half of his threes from the Curry range.

...It seems like any underdog these days that bring their A Game against Lithuania has a good chance ,just like with U19 against Italy here we just lost to another more mentally strong assertive and agressive team. This's starting to show in Youth Level remember we could have been packing home in 2016 EC against Russia if it wasn't for that dumb Russian hothead and a lucky Velicka shot.
    Last edited by Modis; 07-16-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Blatt's son played like Curry and nailed 27 pts in Lithuanian basket. However, it was a bad defence as well.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Modis View Post
    ...It seems like any underdog these days that bring their A Game against Lithuania has a good chance ,just like with U19 against Italy here we just lost to another more mentally strong assertive and agressive team. This's starting to show in Youth Level.
    Either that or the Israeli team and Tamir Blatt are simply a lot better than most observers thought they were two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Blatt's son played like Curry and nailed 27 pts in Lithuanian basket. However, it was a bad defence as well.
    Agree.
    Even tho he was bombarding us from Downtown and sometimes even from the Parking Lot there were many open uncontested shots for other Israelis , our guards were all over the place couldn't keep up with the pace / mismatches.
    Last edited by Modis; 07-17-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    Lithuania

FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Either that or the Israeli team and Tamir Blatt are simply a lot better than most observers thought they were two days ago.

Now i wonder if he can keep that up his range is insane
    Lithuania

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post

So now you're saying that you witnessing Varnas and Bieliauskas for the first time? Both are ballers, if you moan about this talented due, you must be completely ignorant of Lith youth level overall. We used to have horrific bakcourts at U-level, sometimes unimaginably bad. That might be the best due since 86' (Kalnietis, Pocius) or third best (after 94' Lekavicius, Grigonis). And U19 also had amazing 16yo PG talents for our standards. So you only showing you ignorance at this point. How is Varnas mediocre? He's dominating since U16. So far his numbers 19,5/6,5/1,5. He scored most of those in the clutch as well. "Very mediocre"...
    I don't care about the numbers these guards put up at a youth level - they are for the most part meaningless if the team is still losing the games to the opponents. Just by watching these kids play I don't see anything exceptional in their games to consider them future stars or saviours of our basketball. By saying Varnas is mediocre I compare him to the hype surrounding him being the next Sharas or Marciulionis - he's obviously not gonna reach those guys' level lmao. Let's just hope he can at least be the next Kalnietis...

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I don't care about the numbers these guards put up at a youth level - they are for the most part meaningless if the team is still losing the games to the opponents. Just by watching these kids play I don't see anything exceptional in their games to consider them future stars or saviours of our basketball. By saying Varnas is mediocre I compare him to the hype surrounding him being the next Sharas or Marciulionis - he's obviously not gonna reach those guys' level lmao. Let's just hope he can at least be the next Kalnietis...
    Now you're mixing things way too much. No-one ever compared him to Šaras, let alone Marciulionis. He never was hyped that much, he's not an elite prospect a la JV, Sabonis, he's not even at Sedekerskis, Kulboka class, but for Lith guard standards he's a really good prospect. And to say "let's just hope he can at least be Kalnietis" is also very rude statement, as Kalnietis is by far our best guard (and one of the best players) of the NT this decade. It would be great if Varnas reaches Kalnietis' level.

The flick from the future...

Now you're mixing things way too much. No-one ever compared him to Šaras, let alone Marciulionis. He never was hyped that much, he's not an elite prospect a la JV, Sabonis, he's not even at Sedekerskis, Kulboka class, but for Lith guard standards he's a really good prospect. And to say "let's just hope he can at least be Kalnietis" is also very rude statement, as Kalnietis is by far our best guard (and one of the best players) of the NT this decade. It would be great if Varnas reaches Kalnietis' level.
    At 16-17 Varnas was better than Kulbokas at that age. He's just not improving because of injury issues and also seems to be stacked in Zalgiris system as well.

And to say "let's just hope he can at least be Kalnietis" is also very rude statement, as Kalnietis is by far our best guard (and one of the best players) of the NT this decade. It would be great if Varnas reaches Kalnietis' level.
    I agree. It would be a real dream come true if any young Lithuanian guard reached Kalnietis' level.

We have 3 Euroleague players but team performing terrible. Congrats to Selçuk Ernak.

With a decent coach; Furkan Korkmaz, Egehan Arna, Ömer Faruk Yurtseven will reach at least semi-final even 3 vs. 5...
    FENERBAHÇE 2017/2018

Sloukas - Dixon - Sinan
    Wanamaker - Guduric - Melih
    Datome - Nunnally - Egehan
    Melli - Kalinic - Barış
    Robinson - Vesely - Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    shooting was abysmal, 1/19 from behind the arc and 10/22 from the stripe, but come on, any team can lose a game. it was an OT loss by the way.

Our guards were irrelevant today, utterly terrible display. Taskiran got injured in the beginning of 3rd quarter and that was the end of it, all the game was played between Turkish bigs (Yutseven, Durmaz, Yilmaz) and the Montenegro team, which had the passion and tenacity for the win. Popovic is a bull, great work.

For us, important thing is we seem to have a few solid bigs. and the 4th, one of the most promising ones, Atar did not even play.
    It's still the 3rd period of France -Turkey game and it's pretty safe to say I was right about this trash team.
    I was laughing when they were promoting Egehan Arna as the next generational talent last month.

French team is physically very impressive, poor shooting team, but they can defensively shut every team in the tournament.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saritasbora View Post
    It's still the 3rd period of France -Turkey game and it's pretty safe to say I was right about this trash team.
    I was laughing when they were promoting Egehan Arna as the next generational talent last month.
    I don't know if people were praising our team, I did not follow, but I don't understand calling this roster trash even if they relegate to the Div B. There are a few promising kids here and we are hoping for them to turn into good players. And this is actually not a bad team when they're "on". Kinda disappointed with Ernak, the team gets completely lost in long stretches, trying to play one fixed idea, feeding the bigs.

again, I did not follow, but Arna is not, and was not the face of this generation, at all. he comes behind at least 4 others. He may end up being the best, he's learning from the best, but we do not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Srle View Post
    French team is physically very impressive, poor shooting team, but they can defensively shut every team in the tournament.
    today, I'd say they shot pretty well, at least 4 fade away/desperate threes. Denis is a great shooter. Another roster with tons of talent.

The refs in Greece against Germany are an absolutely outrage. Greece can´t lose. Not sure what to mention about the behavior of some greek players either. Thanks Number 12, here we go...Biggest flopper in History. In that age. Who the fuck is Rudy?

Oh c´mon this is a fucking mess!!! And they are still complaining...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast