No announcement yet.

Marketing the PBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So PBA needs to spend money to outsource marketing services in their live games, as they fully depending on their mother tv station for it..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
      8.) Those considered homegrown can choose to play between PBA D-League or PCBL, provided that they have a total of 2 conferences played under their belt. However, if they are not at least 23 yrs old or a college graduate, they can't apply for draft and play in the PBA.
      We are not really honing our young talent in this way. Sure, education is very important to Filipinos, but there must be a way for young players to go one-and-done (like in the NBA) if they think they are good enough to play with the pros. But of course, considering that education is at a premium for most Filipinos and the way college ball is right now, it's not going to happen. But oh well, we can dream...

PROTIP 1: Ricky Rubio became a professional baller at age 14 and the starting point guard of the 2012 Spanish Olympic team at age 18. What are our young players doing at ages 14-18? Still trying to get useless, non-bearing championships for their schools?

And please do not tell me the educational systems of Spain and the Philippines are different cases (and yes, they are). Pwede naman pagsabayin ang pros at college ah. I'm pretty sure Rubio was able to balance between high school and the pros. Time management is the key. No pro games during exam periods and the UAAP/NCAA season if their schools are so greedy with non-bearing championships.

PROTIP 2: Their ages may or may not be doctored, but those young Chinese bigs like Zhou Qi, Wang Zhelin, Hu Jinqiu, among others, are already contributing well both in the pros and internationally.

Samantalang yung mga totoy natin, hayun, stuck sa college ball, kailangang mag-champion ang school eh. Yung mga totoy ng China, hayun, nakikipagsabayan na sa mga mama ng Pilipinas at ng ibang bansa.

PROTIP 3 (lol): Just 7 years ago, Guo Ailun vs Kiefer Ravena was touted to be THE rivalry of the future in Asia. Now? Guo has been contributing very well for the Chinese NT whereas Kiefer is too busy playing in the Drew League or too proud to play for a losing team to be bothered to help out the Gilas Cadets in the previous FIBA Asia Challenge.

If ever they meet again in the future, I think Guo will easily destroy Ravena. So much for the hype.
      Last edited by judasmartel; 10-07-2016, 05:49 AM.
      Originally posted by gideon
      Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
        We are not really honing our young talent in this way. Sure, education is very important to Filipinos, but there must be a way for young players to go one-and-done (like in the NBA) if they think they are good enough to play with the pros. But of course, considering that education is at a premium for most Filipinos and the way college ball is right now, it's not going to happen. But oh well, we can dream...
        that is why I believe that with this in mind, the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI, NAASCU, UCAA, and other leagues in the PHL will not stop the use of imports. In fact, I would favor at least two imports in the regular roster. that is, he/ she doesn't have any filipino blood relations or is not a naturalized filipino.
        In this wise, together with opening up the PBA D-League and PCBL to more ex-PBA players and college imports, any filipino player who deserves to be called up will be called up.. And not because he/ she just happen to be Fil-For or from more accomplished and structured teams like ateneo and la salle.
        Also in this wise, kids should be available for NT duty call up. Because they have until 23 to do so. And with that, any NT player can go to straight to the PBA if certain qualifications are met.
        these things can be added to make the 23 year old qualifications viable.
        Well that is what I think

Comment

• Originally posted by Cocoy Martin
          looks more like someone from Taft rather than someone from UP eh
          How is this comment necessary or helpful? Or anything other than trolling?

Comment

the national team and the PBA are two different brands, insisting to use the national team as a vehicle to market the PBA will do the league more harm than good because it will dilute their branding unless the national team is called the PBA All Stars or PBA National Selection or PBA Gilas.
            Then why not combine both? I thought it worked just fine in the Worlds when they put the PBA logo on the Gilas uniform. What am I missing here?
            Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

that is why I believe that with this in mind, the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI, NAASCU, UCAA, and other leagues in the PHL will not stop the use of imports. In fact, I would favor at least two imports in the regular roster. that is, he/ she doesn't have any filipino blood relations or is not a naturalized filipino.
              In this wise, together with opening up the PBA D-League and PCBL to more ex-PBA players and college imports, any filipino player who deserves to be called up will be called up.. And not because he/ she just happen to be Fil-For or from more accomplished and structured teams like ateneo and la salle.
              Also in this wise, kids should be available for NT duty call up. Because they have until 23 to do so. And with that, any NT player can go to straight to the PBA if certain qualifications are met.
              these things can be added to make the 23 year old qualifications viable.
              Well that is what I think
              So we basically go half-cadet and half-PBA, right? While I like how in theory development is combined with competitiveness so well, I doubt it will be effective in practice so long as sports politics prevail in Philippine basketball as it means the best players in the PBA will not be available for the big games in the qualifiers if their mother teams are either deep into the conference playoffs or refuse to lend them outright because they are on a championship run yet they can win championships without those players just fine, rendering this whole Cadets-plus-PBA-reinforcements idea pointless.

I also like it that the PBA will try to be more cooperative in forming the national team, but I don't think it won't last long, as I think it's just lip service for the Gilas fans (me included, I really don't follow any PBA teams at all) who were disgusted at the PBA's apparent lack of support for the national team.

Also, I am doubtful as to whether Cadets + PBA reinforcements are really enough to beat the big teams in the qualifiers like Iran, South Korea, Jordan, Lebanon, Taiwan, Japan, Qatar, and India (China as hosts are exempted from the qualifiers, AUS and NZ are long shots unless they send their B/C teams or whatever); most if not all of them whose local leagues are willing to sacrifice their respective schedules just for their countries to be able to send their strongest possible teams.

I don't see anything of the sort from the PBA, though it's understandable because they won't know how to adjust their schedule if they don't even know when the qualifiers will exactly start. Yes, it states November 2017, but on what day? The PBA will have to prepare for that if they are to adjust their schedule to accommodate the FIBA WC qualifying windows.

Remember that there are only 7 slots for Asia-Pacific, excluding WC hosts China. Excluding AUS and NZ further, because they are certainly getting WC slots, that's 5 slots vied by no less than 10 Asian Division A teams. Not only that, we must place at least 3rd in our group in both Rounds 1 and 2, because finishing last in Round 1 means relegation to Division B, and only beating the top teams from Division B can get you back to Division A in 2021. OTOH, finishing 4th in Round 2 means you better have a better W-L record or goal point average than the 4th placer in the other group to qualify for the Worlds, otherwise GG. So to be safe, we better make sure we make the top 3 every time.

What's more, SEA only gets one slot for the FIBA Asia Cup, and the tournament will determine the 14 Asian teams that will comprise Division A, where only teams from there can qualify for the Worlds, Division B teams will have to top their group and beat the bottom team from Division A so they can get another shot at qualifying in 2021. So we better make damn sure we win SEABA or else we will have to wait another 4 years before going for another shot at the Worlds. Holy shit, that's crazy.

However, this setup you described has the potential to attract more D2/D3 level African players (D1 is a long shot, but we can dream) to play in the Philippines and eventually become the naturalized player of Gilas if they are good enough. In this way, we only naturalize to fill up the 4 or 5 spot in the future as we will already have Kirkness, Sotto, and either one of Junemar or Greg with us in the future. Then we can just let our local guards and wings do most of the damage against our opponents while the bigs will take care of the rebounds, putbacks, and drop passes.
              Last edited by judasmartel; 10-08-2016, 01:28 AM.

Comment

you forgot to include "bitter" in your description of Eala
                Lols
                Sour graping by bad mouthing what he couldnt get.
                But seriously, its the substance of his tweet that matter to fans; and yes in the back of all these, theres always some personal agenda involved even though any person would say it was unbiased and felt right and true at the time

Comment

• I would suggest free general admission in provincial games especially in cebu and davao.
                  Do you want to save big bucks for a T-shirt👕?Hurry up for our Online Store Promo,Our Volt Design T-shirt has Some Old Stocks T-shirts that are selling for 49 Pesos plus 79 pesos Shipping fee nationwide.🛵COD within Metro Manila is available,Pay 79 pesos shipping fee first on Provincial COD.Order Now!!🥰
                  Buy here👉https://www.pinoyhoopz.com/promo.html

Comment

• Remember when Com Narvasa said that traffic is an issue why fans cant come to see the games?
                    I wonder what hell say now after the gate reciepts of Ginebra-Meralco championship games

Comment

• I think the problem with removing the cap is that, PBA will lose more fans.
                      PBA as it is now, feels detached to the masses. The people think that these Fil-fors are not filipino enough and that they are not connecting with the masses -- of course except if you are from brgy. ginebra.

PBA and the teams, do not market their teams properly so much so that people are having the impression that fil-fors are here only to earn and not really for the passion and love of the game and for being filipino.
                      For pete's sake, filfor greats like alapag and taulava still seldom or almost never converse in filipino. So how can you endear yourself to the masses.

The point am getting at is that, if the rule removing the cap on Fil-for happens, and the PBA as well as the teams still retain their status quo style of retaining fans, then the PBA as a whole will die a worrisome death.

Make no mistake about it though, I really wish that there will be no restrictions for any filipino - whether in blood or citizenship (naturalized). However, the PBA should learn to value how to market their teams and PBA in general. Also, Fil-fors and teams should also understand that we are an ASIAN race. That means that those considered outsiders (puti, itim, dilaw -- basta Fil-for should make themselves endeared to those people from within. NO BUTS, and NO IFs. This include the Fil-fors and the naturalized, trying to speak pilipino or would frequently speak other national language such as ilokano, bisaya, and the likes; or if you can't do both, make themselves really, AS IN REALLY be accessible to the Filipino masses.
                      Anything otherwise will most likely kill the PBA, considering the filipino psyche of belongingness is not felt.
                      Last edited by PaVi; 11-02-2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• May mga certain FilAms na wholeheartedly tanggap ng fans ng PBA despite being FilAms, Caguiao, Miller, Norwood for example. Pero may iba who treat it as if they were overseas and the Philippines isn't their home. Me personally I rather have people like Compton or Long playing in the PBA than those who really don't see themselves as Filipino or those who see the Philippines as a foreign country. Rob Reyes wrote a good article on this, basta ako personally as long as you don't see playing in the PBA as playing overseas then you should be allowed to play. Easier said than done though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                          May mga certain FilAms na wholeheartedly tanggap ng fans ng PBA despite being FilAms, Caguiao, Miller, Norwood for example. Pero may iba who treat it as if they were overseas and the Philippines isn't their home. Me personally I rather have people like Compton or Long playing in the PBA than those who really don't see themselves as Filipino or those who see the Philippines as a foreign country. Rob Reyes wrote a good article on this, basta ako personally as long as you don't see playing in the PBA as playing overseas then you should be allowed to play. Easier said than done though.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv...n-pinoy-sports
                          afaik, caguioa is full blooded pinoy.
                          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                            afaik, caguioa is full blooded pinoy.
                            He is but he was raised in the states like a Mike Cortez or Nic Belasco so some consider him a FilAm. This Fil Am thing is a weird issue wherein isang magandang source is actually Pacific Rims by Rafe Bartholomew. I get why they have that rule, mahirap I market ang isang tao with little understating of the Filipino psyche but they can be marketable if they learn to adjust. Stills the locals have leveled up and many FilAms spend there formative college years in the Philippines. Plus the Fil Ams who are leagues apart from the rest of the locals are turned off naman by the PBA due to other rules such as the mandatory D-League since they can earn better in Europe or in Clarkson's case the NBA.
                            Last edited by Sikatrix; 11-02-2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/p...ino-foreigners

I think the problem with removing the cap is that, PBA will lose more fans.
                              PBA as it is now, feels detached to the masses. The people think that these Fil-fors are not filipino enough and that they are not connecting with the masses -- of course except if you are from brgy. ginebra.

PBA and the teams, do not market their teams properly so much so that people are having the impression that fil-fors are here only to earn and not really for the passion and love of the game and for being filipino.
                              For pete's sake, filfor greats like alapag and taulava still seldom or almost never converse in filipino. So how can you endear yourself to the masses.

The point am getting at is that, if the rule removing the cap on Fil-for happens, and the PBA as well as the teams still retain their status quo style of retaining fans, then the PBA as a whole will die a worrisome death.

Make no mistake about it though, I really wish that there will be no restrictions for any filipino - whether in blood or citizenship (naturalized). However, the PBA should learn to value how to market their teams and PBA in general. Also, Fil-fors and teams should also understand that we are an ASIAN race. That means that those considered outsiders (puti, itim, dilaw -- basta Fil-for should make themselves endeared to those people from within. NO BUTS, and NO IFs. This include the Fil-fors and the naturalized, trying to speak pilipino or would frequently speak other national language such as ilokano, bisaya, and the likes; or if you can't do both, make themselves really, AS IN REALLY be accessible to the Filipino masses.
                              Anything otherwise will most likely kill the PBA, considering the filipino psyche of belongingness is not felt.
                              marketing yan, fil ams cater audiences, so as pinoys..
                              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                                marketing yan, fil ams cater audiences, so as pinoys..
                                specially big name fil-foreign players.. Danny Seigle is one perfect example that brought pinoy fans to araneta..
                                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information