Iran NT for 38th William Jones Cup & FIBA Asia Challenge 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran NT for 38th William Jones Cup & FIBA Asia Challenge 2016

After the FIBA OQT campaign, Team Melli will be focusing on further developing the next generation of the NT.

Dirk Bauermann announced the 18 players for the Jones Cup and FIBA Asia Challenge:

IRAN NT: Rouzbeh Arghavan, Farid Aslani, Ali Allahverdi, Mohammad Ojaghi, Mohammad Torabi, Mohammad Hassanzadeh, Vahid Dalirzehan, Adnan Doraghi, Navid Rezaeifar, Amir Sedighi, Saleh Foroutan, Arsalan Kazemi, Sajjad Mashayekhi, Rasoul Mozaffari, Salar Monji, Meysam Rezaei, Behnam Yakhchali and Yousef Mohammadvand
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
    After the FIBA OQT campaign, Team Melli will be focusing on further developing the next generation of the NT.

Dirk Bauermann announced the 18 players for the Jones Cup and FIBA Asia Challenge:

IRAN NT: Rouzbeh Arghavan, Farid Aslani, Ali Allahverdi, Mohammad Ojaghi, Mohammad Torabi, Mohammad Hassanzadeh, Vahid Dalirzehan, Adnan Doraghi, Navid Rezaeifar, Amir Sedighi, Saleh Foroutan, Arsalan Kazemi, Sajjad Mashayekhi, Rasoul Mozaffari, Salar Monji, Meysam Rezaei, Behnam Yakhchali and Yousef Mohammadvand
    Thanks for the update.
    Great idea to send mostly young players to this tournament, our team needs more and more matches with this new generation of players to developp and find his way of play, probably in 1 year or 2.

I just hope they finally start to adapt our players positions to international basketball even though it is not their usual post.
    I would like to see something like this in Taipei:

1 Mashayekhi/Aslani
    2 Yakhchali/Doraghi/Allahverdi
    3 Kazemi/Sedighi
    4 Hassanzadeh
    5 Yousefvand

Doraghi is very small for post 2 but still he is quite strong physically. The ideal position for Yakhchali will be 2-1 as he really shines as a shooting guard but we still need him to play PG at some point in matches, same for Jamshidi between 2 and 3 even though 3 is his natural post but he is not strong enough while as 2 he is very dangerous. We also have Rezaeifar also as 2.
    Kazemi as 3 was very interesting in the OQT, despite not having played for a year plus him being naturallly a 4. If he can finally change his mind and stop wasting his time in IRAN waiting for the NBA he can do very good in Europe and maybe who knows integrate NBA thanks to good performances in the Euroleague.
    Also Hassanzadeh is highly underestimated, each time he played with Haddadi our frontcourt was amazing. Oshin's day are doe, he was very good for long years (our best player back in 2013) but it is obvious how he can no longer play against big teams or even China and the Philippines, while Hassanzadeh and Zangeneh are the future. Some teams have +210 PF, it is no longer possible to defend them with someone barely 200cm.

I hope that for the next generations they start to form players in accordance to their height in order to finally become important on international level.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Melli Basket View Post
      Thanks for the update.
      Great idea to send mostly young players to this tournament, our team needs more and more matches with this new generation of players to developp and find his way of play, probably in 1 year or 2.

I just hope they finally start to adapt our players positions to international basketball even though it is not their usual post.
      I would like to see something like this in Taipei:

1 Mashayekhi/Aslani
      2 Yakhchali/Doraghi/Allahverdi
      3 Kazemi/Sedighi
      4 Hassanzadeh
      5 Yousefvand

Doraghi is very small for post 2 but still he is quite strong physically. The ideal position for Yakhchali will be 2-1 as he really shines as a shooting guard but we still need him to play PG at some point in matches, same for Jamshidi between 2 and 3 even though 3 is his natural post but he is not strong enough while as 2 he is very dangerous. We also have Rezaeifar also as 2.
      Kazemi as 3 was very interesting in the OQT, despite not having played for a year plus him being naturallly a 4. If he can finally change his mind and stop wasting his time in IRAN waiting for the NBA he can do very good in Europe and maybe who knows integrate NBA thanks to good performances in the Euroleague.
      Also Hassanzadeh is highly underestimated, each time he played with Haddadi our frontcourt was amazing. Oshin's day are doe, he was very good for long years (our best player back in 2013) but it is obvious how he can no longer play against big teams or even China and the Philippines, while Hassanzadeh and Zangeneh are the future. Some teams have +210 PF, it is no longer possible to defend them with someone barely 200cm.

I hope that for the next generations they start to form players in accordance to their height in order to finally become important on international level.
      Basing on the friendlies vs the Philippines and the OQT matches I've watched, Iran NT was very quick to run when Haddadi was sitting on the bench, but team tempo becomes more of a half-court set when Haddadi enters the floor.

After the Haddadi era, you have a lot of guards and forwards that are just as quick with what Asia has to offer. I can definitely see your team going uptempo even on alternating centers Yousefvand and Hassanzadeh.

I remember Kazemi in the 2010 WC where he displayed a great rebound and running game against USA. He was also running and hustling with the Delaware 36ers in the D-League.

Good luck to your team in WC and FIBA Asia Challenge.
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by Team Melli Basket View Post
        If he can finally change his mind and stop wasting his time in IRAN waiting for the NBA he can do very good in Europe and maybe who knows integrate NBA thanks to good performances in the Euroleague.
        as far as I know, he has to play 2 years in Iran because of his military service issue, for "Niroo Zamini" club , the only military based team in the superleague. but they let him leave the country, maybe he found a solution for that

btw, I think this is their squad only for the Jones Cup, I think they will re-invite Haddadi and Oshin for the Challenge Cup in Tehran. this is not a very big tourney but still the first serious/semi-serious tournament at home after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
          Basing on the friendlies vs the Philippines and the OQT matches I've watched, Iran NT was very quick to run when Haddadi was sitting on the bench, but team tempo becomes more of a half-court set when Haddadi enters the floor.

After the Haddadi era, you have a lot of guards and forwards that are just as quick with what Asia has to offer. I can definitely see your team going uptempo even on alternating centers Yousefvand and Hassanzadeh.

I remember Kazemi in the 2010 WC where he displayed a great rebound and running game against USA. He was also running and hustling with the Delaware 36ers in the D-League.

Good luck to your team in WC and FIBA Asia Challenge.
          Thank you.
          I completely agree. The team had much more intensity when Hamed was benched in 2nd and 3rd quarters because of fouls, it was more interesting. I hope the pass the ball to Hamed or Samad era will finish soon as it is impossible to progress if the only plan in attack is to bet on these 2 individualities, and as you said we have some young players who can get a leader role in some time soon like Yakhchali or Jamshidi. Of course no team can say no to Haddadi or Nikkhah, at least on Asian level, they are very important but things have to change.

We can bet on quick play, and some guys have shoot, some have inside shoot (Hassanzadeh, Zangeneh), some are polyvalent (Kazemi) and some are quite young so we don't know much about their abilities yet. I can see Hamed playing with the team for 2 more years at least, but we have to play more and more with Yousefvand, he is the future and I hope that he will find a college team just like Kazemi.

But for the time being this team is very unprofesional and has a lot of big mistakes to correct. It is very sad to see how many balls they gave in attack leading to turnover and easy points scored on, something like 20 even against Mexico. First it means missed opportunity, but more importantly easy points given to the opponent, this is unacceptable at this level. They also miss to many easy points, being affraid of a possible counter, they have to work on all of these points. Turnovers are a serious problem which shows the gap with the international level, we have exactly the same problem with our Handball team which shows lack of fundamentals in these sports formation for past generations in Iran, I think that they are working on it on curent youngs. I hope that some of our players start to say no to easy money and try to play in Europe, even for very less money if they can play in competitive European leagues, this will help basketball a lot.

Against Mexico they only played good, or somehow at their true level when they were 10 points behind, and at that time they scored on hard situations while once the match was even they missed easy opportunities and had 3 occasions to kill the match when they were 4 points up but they completely explosed and gave teh match, although referee killed the match with absurd decisions in last 2 minutes. They need to progress mentally too.
          Some errors can be attributed to lack of experience at this level as Iran hardly plays against decent teams (top 20), but still as a team they lack basics very much.

At least they still have 2 more tournaments this summer to continue learning.
          Last edited by Team Melli Basket; 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
            as far as I know, he has to play 2 years in Iran because of his military service issue, for "Niroo Zamini" club , the only military based team in the superleague. but they let him leave the country, maybe he found a solution for that

btw, I think this is their squad only for the Jones Cup, I think they will re-invite Haddadi and Oshin for the Challenge Cup in Tehran. this is not a very big tourney but still the first serious/semi-serious tournament at home after a while.
            That's what I guessed too, maybe they can fix the problem in the federation if Arsalan can cooperate with them, otherwise is career is dead, at least for NBA and Europe.
            But sadly the federation is run by a bunch of incompetent and corrupted clowns lead by Mashoons. Despite having not so much financial ressourses they could have done much more for promoting this sport and getting more international competition for Team Melli, but they simply don't care.

Comment

Bauermann called up 20 players for the Challenge Cup

Hamed Haddadi
              Oshin Sahakian
              Arsalan Kazemi
              Rouzbeh Arghavan
              Mohammad Jamshidi
              Behnam Yakhchali
              Sajjad Mashayekhi
              Arman Zangeneh
              Mohammad Hassanzadeh
              Adnan Doraghi
              Amir Sedighi
              Meisam Mirzaei
              Rasoul Mozaffari
              Saleh Foroutan
              Ali Allahverdi
              Vahid Dalirzahan
              Mohammad Yousefvand
              Salar Monji
              Mohammad Torabi
              Mohammad Shahrian

Comment

Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
                Bauermann called up 20 players for the Challenge Cup

Hamed Haddadi
                Oshin Sahakian
                Arsalan Kazemi
                Rouzbeh Arghavan
                Mohammad Jamshidi
                Behnam Yakhchali
                Sajjad Mashayekhi
                Arman Zangeneh
                Mohammad Hassanzadeh
                Adnan Doraghi
                Amir Sedighi
                Meisam Mirzaei
                Rasoul Mozaffari
                Saleh Foroutan
                Ali Allahverdi
                Vahid Dalirzahan
                Mohammad Yousefvand
                Salar Monji
                Mohammad Torabi
                Mohammad Shahrian
                What's this called from Manila
                To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information