Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a petition against the new FIBA Home-and-Away Format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a petition against the new FIBA Home-and-Away Format?

i have not seen a single soul that wants the FIBA new format beyond 2017. Anyone cares to start a petition against that? Supposed to be implemented 2017 but maybe there's still time? Or too late for now?

Calling on the mods/admins, not sure which is the best "petition" site and i don't know how to start it.

i see that most countries will be affected by it negatively or maybe they'll eventually adjust and ok with it with already.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
    i have not seen a single soul that wants the FIBA new format beyond 2017. Anyone cares to start a petition against that? Supposed to be implemented 2017 but maybe there's still time? Or too late for now?

Calling on the mods/admins, not sure which is the best "petition" site and i don't know how to start it.

i see that most countries will be affected by it negatively or maybe they'll eventually adjust and ok with it with already.
    Do you think a petition would be enough for FIBA to change its plans?

Comment

LOL, FIBA isn't abandoning their plans for the new format because of an internet petition.

In any case, the Philippines should be in good position to handle the new system, with almost all the players playing domestically. It's countries like Canada--or the Virgin Islands! that will have the big difficulties.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by boo View Post
        Do you think a petition would be enough for FIBA to change its plans?
        NO.

As with any other petitions
        If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

I used to be really against and I am torn now.

As a Canadian, it sucks. No NBA or NCAA guys will be playing in the qualifying games during those seasons.

As a person who lives in Asia, I totally love it. If we get to see meaningful international competition every few months in our own countries that will be amazing! Seeing FIBA games between Taiwan and China, Philippines, Korea, Japan, etc sounds awesome. It can increase the profile of international basketball.

I really have no idea how it will succeed. This change was not made with America/Canada/France/Spain/Australia etc in mind, this change was made with Asia/Africa/South America in mind. No one in America even knows this change is happening, let alone how the qualification worked before.

The big question is this, does FIBA need NBA players to have successful international basketball?
          Also, if a bunch of Euroleague AMericans qualify America for the WC or Olympics, how will they feel being told, "hey, sit down now, the big boys are here for the big tournament"
          We The North

Comment

Originally posted by locdogjr View Post
            I used to be really against and I am torn now.

As a Canadian, it sucks. No NBA or NCAA guys will be playing in the qualifying games during those seasons.

As a person who lives in Asia, I totally love it. If we get to see meaningful international competition every few months in our own countries that will be amazing! Seeing FIBA games between Taiwan and China, Philippines, Korea, Japan, etc sounds awesome. It can increase the profile of international basketball.

I really have no idea how it will succeed. This change was not made with America/Canada/France/Spain/Australia etc in mind, this change was made with Asia/Africa/South America in mind. No one in America even knows this change is happening, let alone how the qualification worked before.

The big question is this, does FIBA need NBA players to have successful international basketball?
            Also, if a bunch of Euroleague AMericans qualify America for the WC or Olympics, how will they feel being told, "hey, sit down now, the big boys are here for the big tournament"
            The Home and home series are 10 day windows in Nov 2017, Feb 2018, June 2018, Sept 2018, Nov 2018, Feb 2019.

NBA players should be available for two of those windows (June 2018 / Sept 2018) minimum and maybe 4 max if it coincided with the he NBA all-star break.

The first three dates are Round 1 with some crappy opponents and 3 countries out of a pool of 4 advance , which theoretically Canada should get through without NBA players.

The back three dates are Round 2 (2 pools of 6, with 7 teams advancing - top 3 in each pool and the best 4th place team).

Keep in mind 7 countries advance to the WCs from Americas - it shouldnt be that hard to qualify with a decent team of non-NBA professionals.

Comment

I don't think how anyone really knows how this will work out for the Americas teams that count on Euro-based players. African teams as well.

Imagine that you're a Canadian playing in Frankfurt or Istanbul. Do you really want to take off in the middle of your season, fly to Canada, have a practice or two and play a game, fly to South America, play another game, then fly back to Europe, return jetlagged and exhausted while your coach and General Manager are wishing they had just signed an American instead? And if you do all this globetrotting and help Canada qualify, your reward is that some NBA guy takes your spot for the WC/Olympics? Even for guys that really want to play for their national team it's a tough call.

And that's Canada, which is a fairly professional operation that should have some resources. Imagine if you're the Virgin Islands, which could only muster nine players for Centrobasket this summer, or Senegal. Can you even afford to fly in your pros from around the world? Is FIBA going to help pay for this?

FIBA has some decent reasons for switching to this system, but the chances of a train wreck are at least 50%.
              Originally posted by Fedfan
              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
              Originally posted by GuTO
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                I don't think how anyone really knows how this will work out for the Americas teams that count on Euro-based players. African teams as well.

Imagine that you're a Canadian playing in Frankfurt or Istanbul. Do you really want to take off in the middle of your season, fly to Canada, have a practice or two and play a game, fly to South America, play another game, then fly back to Europe, return jetlagged and exhausted while your coach and General Manager are wishing they had just signed an American instead? And if you do all this globetrotting and help Canada qualify, your reward is that some NBA guy takes your spot for the WC/Olympics? Even for guys that really want to play for their national team it's a tough call.

And that's Canada, which is a fairly professional operation that should have some resources. Imagine if you're the Virgin Islands, which could only muster nine players for Centrobasket this summer, or Senegal. Can you even afford to fly in your pros from around the world? Is FIBA going to help pay for this?

FIBA has some decent reasons for switching to this system, but the chances of a train wreck are at least 50%.
                FIBA is making power moves recently. It'll be interesting to watch them all play out! I don't think they have the clout they think they do....
                We The North

Comment

I'd be all for the home-away format if they just moved it to July-August-September.

Fewer games than the current system for qualifying tournaments, more time off between games, more time to practice. What's not to like?
                  Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information