This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrueBluePinoy View Post
    Sir JPM, do you have an idea who might succeed MVP as the SBP president? I believe SMC representation is crucial in the SBP for obvious reasons.
    Al Panlilio...I'm almost sure he has the lock on the majority of the votes already.

SMC doesn't have a major official representing them in the SBP. Count out Robert Non, he's an outsider looking in within SMC. Chua's the real deal. And unless RSA pushes Chua to run as SBP head (which I doubt he'll do), then Panlilio is it. With high expectations that the SMC and the PBA will give 100% support to his candidacy.

Comment

Since the cadets are basically the senior side now, how do you guys think the cadet team will look for the FIBA Asia Challenge Cup?

No Jalalon since NCAA is ongoing right? I anticipate Ravena, Wright, Ferrer, Belo, Van Opstal to comprise the core.

I imagine the team will be lacking in bigs though, though saying the team would be lacking in bigs might be a massive understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleMarco2016 View Post
        Since the cadets are basically the senior side now, how do you guys think the cadet team will look for the FIBA Asia Challenge Cup?

No Jalalon since NCAA is ongoing right? I anticipate Ravena, Wright, Ferrer, Belo, Van Opstal to comprise the core.

I imagine the team will be lacking in bigs though, though saying the team would be lacking in bigs might be a massive understatement.
        Not great. Like you said, we have no big men so basically no front court. As it was shown in the OQT, a team without a reliable front court is not going far. Having Blatche is a blessing but I doubt he'll be available.
        GILAS WISHLIST:
        6'8 Pingris

Comment

Speaking of point guards, i dont see any pure guard in the horizon...the next superstar is Jalalon who is more of a scorer. Well, Ravena could slowly transform into a pass first guard.He is still young and have the intelligence to grasp the demands of that position. I see his game very similar to alex cabagnot given more seasoning. Baser is also a candidate medyo timid lang but really smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
            Al Panlilio...I'm almost sure he has the lock on the majority of the votes already.

SMC doesn't have a major official representing them in the SBP. Count out Robert Non, he's an outsider looking in within SMC. Chua's the real deal. And unless RSA pushes Chua to run as SBP head (which I doubt he'll do), then Panlilio is it. With high expectations that the SMC and the PBA will give 100% support to his candidacy.
            Thank you, sir. I'm also optimistic on a full PBA representation in one of the qualifying windows for WC. For one, FIBA has not released a calendar for each leg. If the pieces fall into place and the schedule is favorable, it's not impossible that we can form a team with at least 8 PBA players against some of the more competitive teams.

Comment

I envision our future pass-first PG as someone who may not be that athletic, but is a great facilitator who makes his teammates better and is not afraid to take the big shots.
              Originally posted by gideon
              Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

If Keifer will transform to a pass-first PG or ala Jayson Castro type of player then this will be a good sign for us.

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
                We still have a potential pass-first PG in Kiefer Ravena.

Comment

I envision our future pass-first PG as someone who may not be that athletic, but is a great facilitator who makes his teammates better and is not afraid to take the big shots.
                  The problem is that our local players are always patterning their style to Westbrook or Bryant's game. Nothing wrong with that as long as you have their size. Problem is we don't.

Another problem is that our local teams rarely play systematic basketball. It's all 1-on-1 so it affects the players ego if they can't contribute on the scoreboard.
                  GILAS WISHLIST:
                  6'8 Pingris

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBluePinoy View Post
                    Thank you, sir. I'm also optimistic on a full PBA representation in one of the qualifying windows for WC. For one, FIBA has not released a calendar for each leg. If the pieces fall into place and the schedule is favorable, it's not impossible that we can form a team with at least 8 PBA players against some of the more competitive teams.
                    My suggested lineups that balance competitiveness with player development:

For non-qualifying tournaments (SEABA, Jones Cup, Asia Challenge, Asia Champs after Olympic years):

1 backup naturalized player (could be any one of Tautuaa or any of the African players in PH)
                    6-8 U21 Cadets
                    1-2 reinforcements from the PBA (lower-tier teams) and/or the PBA D-League
                    1-2 U18 standouts

For qualifying tournaments (WC qualifiers, WC proper, Asia Champs before Olympic years, OQT):

1 ~20yo naturalized 6-9+ bigman with strong inside presence and decent range (3pt shooting is only a bonus, and ONLY when wide open)
                    6-8 core senior players
                    1-2 Cadet standouts
                    1-2 U18 standouts

Thoughts?
                    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                      The problem is that our local players are always patterning their style to Westbrook or Bryant's game. Nothing wrong with that as long as you have their size. Problem is we don't.

Another problem is that our local teams rarely play systematic basketball. It's all 1-on-1 so it affects the players ego if they can't contribute on the scoreboard.
                      That is why we need a PG who does not care how many points he scores as long as his team wins games.

Comment

My suggested lineups that balance competitiveness with player development:

For non-qualifying tournaments (SEABA, Jones Cup, Asia Challenge, Asia Champs after Olympic years):

1 backup naturalized player (could be any one of Tautuaa or any of the African players in PH)
                        6-8 U21 Cadets
                        1-2 reinforcements from the PBA (lower-tier teams) and/or the PBA D-League
                        1-2 U18 standouts

For qualifying tournaments (WC qualifiers, WC proper, Asia Champs before Olympic years, OQT):

1 ~20yo naturalized 6-9+ bigman with strong inside presence and decent range (3pt shooting is only a bonus, and ONLY when wide open)
                        6-8 core senior players
                        1-2 Cadet standouts
                        1-2 U18 standouts

Thoughts?

Which player comes to your mind about the naturalization?
                        1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

That is why we need a PG who does not care how many points he scores as long as his team wins games.
                          He would have to be someone from a systematic team. You need to develop court vision if you want to be a good passer. It takes practice. I don't watch the PBA much but is there any team that prioritizes ball movement than 1-on-1 plays?
                          GILAS WISHLIST:
                          6'8 Pingris

Comment

I observed that our PGs were bit slower compared to their counterparts this OQT.

Comment

Originally posted by emilsantosiii View Post
                              I observed that our PGs were bit slower compared to their counterparts this OQT.
                              That is why our PGs have to be smarter. We can't play like the Americans because we don't have their size and athleticism.

Comment

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                                Which player comes to your mind about the naturalization?
                                Maybe some African player who played here in the Philippines. Cheaper, and we won't be at the mercy of the schedules of foreign leagues.

Blatche is a double-edged sword for us, but he's not always available due to this crappy FIBA qualifying sched.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information