This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StrawHeart View Post
    I don't think Jamskie was missing the point. Actually, we cannot honestly say that "it is almost guaranteed that not every top player will be available for the qualifiers." In reality, we could only speak for our country because we know the issues here. Do not assume that other Asian countries will have trouble fielding their top players just because we are having trouble. The issues and problems which we may face may not be the same.

Also, by saying that it's almost guaranteed that most countries will not be able to send their best players, you are in effect underestimating other countries ability and willingness to adjust to the situation. That thinking would bite us in the end.

Take for example, Australia. They already announced that they will comply and adjust with the qualification windows. Meaning, more likely than not, they will be able to send their top players (minus NBA and Europe-based players). Also, I doubt that Japan is not planning to send their top players. While they are host for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, their spot is not guaranteed because they must still prove to FIBA that they can field a competent team. What better way to impress FIBA than to make sure that you will qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup, right?

Are we sure this new FIBA schedule will be set for a long time or is this some experiment to prove the assumption that FIBA can accommodate a similar schedule as FIFA? The main problem with "readily" complying with this FIBA schedule (meaning local leagues will change/adjust schedule) is that each change will take some preparation time and will probably cause some losses profit-wise. We can't fault corporations/businesses if they will not comply as readily as we expect them to. For the countries with local leagues that adjust no problem, then good for them. But not every country will be like that.

Comment

• ^
      For each country it's not a situation of all or nothing, (meaning say the US does not comply and decides to send NBA D- league players, it doesn't follow that will be the case for all of the window periods, note at least 2 windows fall under the NBA off season.) , so this is where ipriortising which windows you should send the best and which will be Ok to send team B players or players whitout NBA or major league players.
      Here is the thing continents like Asia Pacific have 8 slots (including China) to make the World cup, if a country still can't qualify despite the contraints of scheduling and availability of players in a sense it only has it self to blame or better yet the country isn't really that good to be considered a "world level team" to merit qualification
      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
        C - Aguilar, Slaughter, Fajardo, Blatche, Tautuaa
        PF - Almazan, Rosario, RDO?, Ping?, I'm drawing blanks but I'm sure I'm missing someone
        SF - Norwood, Maliksi, Ferrer, Belo, Parks, Abueva

From the list, we have 5 to 6 guys each for your the "thin" positions. Realistically, you will only have 2 to 3 guys per position for the team. So for the current depth, you can have at least 2 teams without overlap.

If a deal will be set with the PBA where they release some of these players at a time (shifting kumbaga), I think we can be confident with the lineup that we can put out. Syempre, chot's job is to combine the players na may chemistry and can match-up well with the opponents that they will be facing on their "shift". That's where the challenge really lies.
        We have to remember bro about the one per team policy. So its either Slaughter or Aguilar and Blatche or Tautuaa as naturalized and Fajardo. What if matupak SMC and wont lend any players from their camp, so our center will be either Blatche or Tautuaa. At PF, Ping and RDO are retired internationally and are already past their prime and had lots of mileage already. At SF : Norwood is retired internationally or not part of the pool, Parks is not yet in the PBA ( so not part of the pool), so its either Belo and Ferrer only, rookies at that as our Sf, Abueva is our resident SF but he lacks length against lengthy Arabs and East Asians but can compensate with his motors and puso.

While it's true we have materials in all positions but this is restricted by stupid rules such as one team policy , Hahop rule for Fil foreign players , None PBA draftee/ No Gilas play and SMC pullouts.

Comment

• They should revise that one player per team rule to one player per competition. So SMB can lend Lassiter alternating with JF. Or Gins alternates Thompson with Aguilar. Or else the PBA should open the national team to non PBA players. With the schedule of the home and aways there is no other way but to increase the pool. We cant afford to send all cadets. The talent fall off is too big.

Comment

• The basketball situation in other countries is not the same as the situation here in

Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
            I think you're missing the point. The reason the system now became a contest of depth, is exactly because it's almost guaranteed that not every top players will be available for the qualifiers. This is true for every country participating. The natural counter for this issue is to have a deep enough pool of players for your country to choose from.

For the philippines, we have, what?, 120 to 130 players in the PBA and maybe 15 to 20 good enough players not in PBA for a total of almost 150 players. Take 15 to 20% as elite, you will have 20 to 30 players--almost sure to have at least 2 teams and maybe even 3 with some overlap on players.
            Sir, do you think countries like Iran, Jordan, Taiwan, Japan, China, etc., won't be able to send all their top players for the home-and-away games becoz their respective pro leagues will be on going during the November & February home-and-away games? Don't presume that these pro leagues won't adjust their schedules to give way for their participation in the home-and-away games. The basketball situation in other countries is not the same as the situation here in the Philippines. That is my point.

For one, the pro leagues of countries like China, iran, Jordan or taiwan run for only about 5 to 7 months (at the most). Our beloved PBA on the other hand runs for no less than 10 months per season. Thus the pro leagues of other countries are a lot more flexible in terms of adjustment. Also, the pro leagues of Iran or Jordan are not as "big" as the PBA. So in terms of priority, national team interest comes first before business for these countries. Do you think Philippine basketball is on a similar situation?
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by StrawHeart View Post
              I don't think Jamskie was missing the point. Actually, we cannot honestly say that "it is almost guaranteed that not every top player will be available for the qualifiers." In reality, we could only speak for our country because we know the issues here. Do not assume that other Asian countries will have trouble fielding their top players just because we are having trouble. The issues and problems which we may face may not be the same.

Also, by saying that it's almost guaranteed that most countries will not be able to send their best players, you are in effect underestimating other countries ability and willingness to adjust to the situation. That thinking would bite us in the end.

Take for example, Australia. They already announced that they will comply and adjust with the qualification windows. Meaning, more likely than not, they will be able to send their top players (minus NBA and Europe-based players). Also, I doubt that Japan is not planning to send their top players. While they are host for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, their spot is not guaranteed because they must still prove to FIBA that they can field a competent team. What better way to impress FIBA than to make sure that you will qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup, right?
              The problem with some people is that they think that the basketball "climate" in other countries (Asia in particular) is the same as it is in the Philippines. To presume that other Asian countries won't be able to send their top players for the home-and-away games becoz of conflict of schedule in their pro leagues, would be falling into the trap of complacency. Good thing our country's basketball think tanks are not falling into that trap.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• The new import of TNT Joshua Smith must be considered one of the possible naturalization candidate for Gilas. 6'9.5" without shoes and a 7'3" wingspan and weighing 305 pounds is an advantage if your playing Taiwan and Japan in home and away. No one can stop him in the post because Asian teams big man are not that big. They will be force to double and as a result our shooters will have an easy day. The only concern is on the defensive end as this guy don't have lateral quickness. Much better option than Greg Smith.

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                  For 3 x 3 tour and Masters even non passport holders or imports can play but for World 3x 3 or Intercontinental championships like FIBA 3 x 3 , only eligible players can play. By playing our eligible Fil foreign players even.in.3 x 3 tourney , SBP can.already show that as a proof of eligibilty if in the future there are question about their nationality/ eligibility for Senior Gilas inclusion.
                  I see. I sit down corrected.

In any case, i-cap na yang si edu pls. Baka masulot pa!
                  Dead Lizard.

Comment

• Originally posted by kangpayomo View Post
                    The new import of TNT Joshua Smith must be considered one of the possible naturalization candidate for Gilas. 6'9.5" without shoes and a 7'3" wingspan and weighing 305 pounds is an advantage if your playing Taiwan and Japan in home and away. No one can stop him in the post because Asian teams big man are not that big. They will be force to double and as a result our shooters will have an easy day. The only concern is on the defensive end as this guy don't have lateral quickness. Much better option than Greg Smith.
                    After the Ginebra BW game I see why we are so high on Greg Smith, his face up game is perfect in chot scheme of things, he is like a poor man blatche..
                    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• ^
                      How old is he?
                      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                        After the Ginebra BW game I see why we are so high on Greg Smith, his face up game is perfect in chot scheme of things, he is like a poor man blatche..
                        The plan of Chot is to have a naturalized player who can play with Junemar at the same time, but Greg Smith doesn't have an outside shooting and too undersized. It is like Junemar and Taulava on the court.. But if we get a traditional biig like Joshua Smith and knowing Japan and Taiwan Centers are thin and light. He will be like Shaq in the early 2000's..

Comment

• Joshua Smith born 1992
                          Greg Smith born 1991

Comment

The plan of Chot is to have a naturalized player who can play with Junemar at the same time, but Greg Smith doesn't have an outside shooting and too undersized. It is like Junemar and Taulava on the court.. But if we get a traditional biig like Joshua Smith and knowing Japan and Taiwan Centers are thin and light. He will be like Shaq in the early 2000's..
                            matter of matchup the issue they had in stepheson is he is also big and eats junmar fajardos offensive space..
                            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

The new import of TNT Joshua Smith must be considered one of the possible naturalization candidate for Gilas. 6'9.5" without shoes and a 7'3" wingspan and weighing 305 pounds is an advantage if your playing Taiwan and Japan in home and away. No one can stop him in the post because Asian teams big man are not that big. They will be force to double and as a result our shooters will have an easy day. The only concern is on the defensive end as this guy don't have lateral quickness. Much better option than Greg Smith.
                              pwede, he could trim down to 285 lbs., improving his mobility a bit,but he'll still be as heavy af.The problem I see is maybe he will have to get a lot of minutes from Junmar because they play much alike, another thing is it will slow down the team's running game.

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                                pwede, he could trim down to 285 lbs., improving his mobility a bit,but he'll still be as heavy af.The problem I see is maybe he will have to get a lot of minutes from Junmar because they play much alike, another thing is it will slow down the team's running game.

TNT's offense is also dribble drive and they are 2-0 with Joshua Smith. Good thing with him is that he attracts a lot of attention and will result to open threes for our gunners. He's a monster in the offensive boards as well because no one can outbox him. We can still run when he sits out. We can use him 20 mins per game. We still have 20 mins for Junemar and our running game.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information