Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 136 of 136

Thread: BC Žalgiris Kaunas 2016-2017

  1. #121
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    651
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Its tough to Count wins at this point. Even the bottom teams are good. I do not see us as Clears favorites against any of them. Still one game at the time. But thats why euroleague is on another Level right now.
    A bit random but Euroleague could use another 4 teams to make it even more excited teams like Unicaja,Alba Berlin, Loko,Khimki.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  2. #122
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    449
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modis View Post
    A bit random but Euroleague could use another 4 teams to make it even more excited teams like Unicaja,Alba Berlin, Loko,Khimki.
    If euroleague would want to expand, they should go With European teams instead of russian. I doubt its necessery dough. 16 teams seems optimal at the moment. Tournament is competetive With busy shedule, they should try to stick With it for atleast 2-3 years before looking in to expanding.

  3. #123
    Senior Member auris1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,963
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modis View Post
    A bit random but Euroleague could use another 4 teams to make it even more excited teams like Unicaja,Alba Berlin, Loko,Khimki.
    Absolutely no way- because then you would want another 4 ,and we would be back to square one .
    The only way to expand ,so to speak , is geographically - Turkey has too many teams as it is( the way where they are heading is another mute point ,probably not for this forum ) .Even so - maybe one team instead from France ,another for Olympia or Zagreb ? I so wish we had another one here in London . Few Lithuanians ,Spanish ,Italians and Greeks ,some decent Americans+ Lampe on the team -and here we go , you would have O2 filled each time . I know ,with Brexit looming ,that is just not possible anymore . But the format is great as it is now - Zalgiris with 25 ! games played are still within a shot to make playoffs . Our hopes to progress never really lately went past new year .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

  4. #124
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    651
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    If euroleague would want to expand, they should go With European teams instead of russian. I doubt its necessery dough. 16 teams seems optimal at the moment. Tournament is competetive With busy shedule, they should try to stick With it for atleast 2-3 years before looking in to expanding.
    I just watched J.Bertomeu interview when he was visiting Zalgiris vs PAO game and it looks like its just a matter of time with the expansion watch the vid from 6:18 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JKxVl89PmVE
    Last edited by Modis; 03-15-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  5. #125
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    651
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Absolutely no way- because then you would want another 4 ,and we would be back to square one .
    The only way to expand ,so to speak , is geographically - Turkey has too many teams as it is( the way where they are heading is another mute point ,probably not for this forum ) .Even so - maybe one team instead from France ,another for Olympia or Zagreb ? I so wish we had another one here in London .
    I agree geographically expanding it, i would want to include as many countries as possible to. But then what would be the point of making the league more excited if those teams are not competitive enough and would be the punch bags of Euroleague, to be honest it couldn't go past 20 not as many elite clubs are left after if you keep going.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  6. #126
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    651
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    I stumbled across an article in 15min where they say "Šilalėje užaugęs kairiarankis 183 cm ūgio įžaidėjas į Lietuvos rinktinės duris beldžiasi taip stipriai, kad girdisi net Bamberge".
    I was wondering were did they get the 183 height from? I know that People sometimes grow until they 25 or something, but zalgiris.lt still lists him as 180cm. Would be cool some extra centimeters for him.
    Inaccurate player heights always bothered me for some reason its especially done in NBA why cant everyone state their true barefooted heights

    Example: Pau Gasol is measured 7 foot 213cm so is Valanciunas but in this pic Pau is about 4 or 5 cm taller
    {B45F3C63-FF0F-4958-ABB5-C7B97C6D36B6}flexible.jpg

    Motiejunas and Valanciunas both 7 foot 213cm ?? I dont think so, again look at the pic
    jonas-valanciunas-height-6-10.jpg

    As for Lekavicius he was listed 180cm in EC 2015, only on FIBA tournaments you can only know true heights..Valanciunas is 210cm and for example Pau 215cm
    Last edited by Modis; 03-20-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  7. #127
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    449
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Most excited game of the season so far today. I will be in hotel so I'll have to watch it on my phone....
    The first game we won With a margin, but I dont expect it to be the same today.
    I was thinking about it yesterday, we never seem to blow any teams out... Does that mean that Saras system is just too strict for offence to flow freely or is it just that all the teams are that good?

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,480
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Well, there were very confident wins against Brose and Gala at home. Against Efes and Zvezda in away games as well.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 03-21-2017 at 11:37 AM.

  9. #129
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,370
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Most excited game of the season so far today. I will be in hotel so I'll have to watch it on my phone....
    The first game we won With a margin, but I dont expect it to be the same today.
    I was thinking about it yesterday, we never seem to blow any teams out... Does that mean that Saras system is just too strict for offence to flow freely or is it just that all the teams are that good?
    Zalgiris has 2nd lowest budget in EL. Most of the teams has atleast twice of even more bigger. It's hard to expect blowouts. A win alone is already good achievement for us. I'd better look at different thing - we used to lose quite a lot games by blowouts every given season basically. But in this one, it wasn't the case. It's great to see that Saras is building fighting and winners mentality in players. We're goin' to each game to win, not to lose by a small difference or with dignity like it happened before. That's really huge part of success this season, no matter if we'll make it to Top8 or not


  10. #130

    Default

    Damn it was close. Too bad Zalgiris couldn't get this one. Efes was really beatable team. Jankunas and Westerman had to deliver at the end, but unfortunately none of them could. Jankunas had like 5 bad moments at the end of the game. Really like how confident and aggressive Lekavicius is even if not everything worked out for him in this game as well.

    The flick from the future...

  11. #131
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    651
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Damn it was close. Too bad Zalgiris couldn't get this one. Efes was really beatable team. Jankunas and Westerman had to deliver at the end, but unfortunately none of them could. Jankunas had like 5 bad moments at the end of the game. Really like how confident and aggressive Lekavicius is even if not everything worked out for him in this game as well.
    In this kind of very nerve wracking game Lekavicius looked solid I was expecting some kind of psychological collapse but he was definitely more useful than Pangos once again. This game really proved how far Lekavicius has come mentally is well, he's confidence and thrust in himself is growing now i seriously believe he can have a good NT camp and tournament this year.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  12. #132
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    449
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Damn it was close. Too bad Zalgiris couldn't get this one. Efes was really beatable team. Jankunas and Westerman had to deliver at the end, but unfortunately none of them could. Jankunas had like 5 bad moments at the end of the game. Really like how confident and aggressive Lekavicius is even if not everything worked out for him in this game as well.
    Did not see any big mistakes from Jankunas, just that he missed shots. Maybe that 3 he took early in the shotclock could have waited, but if he was open afterall.

  13. #133
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,370
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Heh, so EL is over for us, no chances to make it to Top8. Anyway, I'm very happy I could write these words in the end of March, not in some January. That's way above my pre-season expectations. I guess now we can think about next season and obviously first thing we must do is to keep Saras at helm. His value increased a lot. I guess management must realise that for once we shouldn't save money for coaching position, like we used to do for years, and offer Saras way better deal. His job, guidance was the main reason we did so well


  14. #134
    Member Greed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    1944
    Posts
    71
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    So Leo and Kev both have +1 written in their contracts. Can someone please clarify what exactly that means? Zalgiris has contracts with them for the next season, but we can exterminate their contracts after this season? If we choose not to, they will be forced to stay in Kaunas for one more year unless some other team buys them out from us? That is the case here, right?

  15. #135
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    651
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Heh, so EL is over for us, no chances to make it to Top8. Anyway, I'm very happy I could write these words in the end of March, not in some January. That's way above my pre-season expectations. I guess now we can think about next season and obviously first thing we must do is to keep Saras at helm. His value increased a lot. I guess management must realise that for once we shouldn't save money for coaching position, like we used to do for years, and offer Saras way better deal. His job, guidance was the main reason we did so well
    Agree and pretty much most are saying more or less the same now.
    How Zalgiris wouldn't have been in this situation if those early and mid season unfortunate losses against beatable teams would have been avoided, if you look back everythink started from beating CSKA since then until now its been 7 Wins out of 10... Anyways the past is the past now on everyones mind should be to keep Saras for at least one more season, money shouldn't be that big of a problem Zalgiris made some good profit this season.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  16. #136
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,370
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greed View Post
    So Leo and Kev both have +1 written in their contracts. Can someone please clarify what exactly that means? Zalgiris has contracts with them for the next season, but we can exterminate their contracts after this season? If we choose not to, they will be forced to stay in Kaunas for one more year unless some other team buys them out from us? That is the case here, right?
    Pretty much. What we don't know here is which side has primary decision - club or player, or maybe its mutual one, but I believe it's in Zalgiris hands to decide it with usual deadline till July


Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •