Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 157 of 157

Thread: BC Žalgiris Kaunas 2016-2017

  1. #141

    Default

    What do you guys think is Lakevičius upside? What kind of a player he'll be in his prime? This year he was one of the best young Euroleague's players. Impressively enough he already reached the level of prime Delininkaitis (Delnas' stats was rather similar to Lukas in 2011/12 season for Žalgiris) at the age of 22 (hit 23 recently). So his floor (lets assume) is Delininkaitis with better defence. What is his ceiling? As an athlete he obviously won't get much better if any, he is pretty much done product at this point, but he still can improve three point shooting, play making, facilitating skills and BB IQ overall. I don't know about NT, but concerning Euroleague's career I think Lekavičius has a good chance to be a better player than Kalnietis who somehow never was impressive in long stretches, but is radical NT overachiever. Overall it's been a while we had guy who was one of contenders to win young Euroleague's players' title. If it wasn't for freak of a nature Doncic, Lukas might very well deserve this. At the worst case scenario we have a solid NT level back-up PG, at best...a border line elite Euroleague's PG hopefully.

    The flick from the future...

  2. #142
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    606
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    What do you guys think is Lakevičius upside? What kind of a player he'll be in his prime? This year he was one of the best young Euroleague's players. Impressively enough he already reached the level of prime Delininkaitis (Delnas' stats was rather similar to Lukas in 2011/12 season for Žalgiris) at the age of 22 (hit 23 recently). So his floor (lets assume) is Delininkaitis with better defence. What is his ceiling? As an athlete he obviously won't get much better if any, he is pretty much done product at this point, but he still can improve three point shooting, play making, facilitating skills and BB IQ overall. I don't know about NT, but concerning Euroleague's career I think Lekavičius has a good chance to be a better player than Kalnietis who somehow never was impressive in long stretches, but is radical NT overachiever. Overall it's been a while we had guy who was one of contenders to win young Euroleague's players' title. If it wasn't for freak of a nature Doncic, Lukas might very well deserve this. At the worst case scenario we have a solid NT level back-up PG, at best...a border line elite Euroleague's PG hopefully.
    I think you are overly optimistic about the guy. Im a big fan and Im not sure he will ever be better then Kalnietis. Lukas is amazing player to watch. But at this point he seems like low floor low cealing guy. Yes he had some amazing games this year, at the same he had as many where he dissappeared. He is still Young so I hope he will improve With being more consistent. Another obvious thing is obviously his 3pts shot. However dont be deceived by his numbers. His % are low because every game he hoists these half Court shots With time expiring. I think that he still lack some passing abilities, however if we would compare to his last Seasons struggles he improved 3-fold there.
    I just dont want to set too high expectations for the guy and be dissappointed after. I am a fan from day one and I hope he finnaly gets his starting spot back NeXT year. For me team looks better With him on the floor.

  3. #143

    Default

    It's only numbers, but the best Kalnietis' season in Euroleague is 2013/14 (Lokomotiv Kuban) - 9,4pts, 4,8a in 28 minutes. Lokomotiv was more or less similar to current Zalgiris in terms of quality. Kalnietis never rocked in Euroleague and all his career was inconsistent at this stage (he didn't cope with main PG's role in Zalgiris just a year a go...). That's why I'm saying Lekavicius has a good chance to have more impressive seasons than that in his career. His production this season is 8,5pts, 3,5a in 18 minutes. If he had that additional 10 minutes he could have had a more impressive season already this year (to be fair with Lukas, Šaras overused Pangos quite a bit in the first half of the season, specially at the beginning, and limited Lukas' minutes too much, overall Lekavicius had a bit more efficient season than Pangos). Besides, Kalnietis being 22/23yo averaged 4pts, 1,3a in 13minutes on the worse Zalgiris than current one. Saying that Lekavicius may be better player than Kalnietis is not hyping him at all, IMO. That's very realistic thing to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    However dont be deceived by his numbers. His % are low because every game he hoists these half Court shots With time expiring. I think that he still lack some passing abilities, however if we would compare to his last Seasons struggles he improved 3-fold there.
    Not only half court buzzer beaters, but very often he takes last second, hard shots when the plays don't work from downtown or gets inside for some quick, aggressive floater. This surely cuts your % a bit. One of many things I like about Lekavičius is that he can really quickly take off his shot. Those difficult shots won't get in all the time (clutch qualities comes with experience), but for example Kalnietis doesn't have that ability to make few quick moves and to create a space for a quick release. His passing improving. I wouldn't go saying that he will be a better passer than Kalnietis, because he turned into a really good passer since 27 or so, but he showed improvement at this point as well.

    Lukas is not a perfect PG, he's a midget for a player after all, but there are few midgets who had/have a great careers. So far he's showing a good promise after a good season.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 05-03-2017 at 07:01 PM.

    The flick from the future...

  4. #144
    Senior Member auris1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,103
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    No doubt that Lekavicius deserves most improved player award for this season in LKL . But lets not forget that a season before he probably was most disappointing player . I would say that he needs another summer where he can improve and make a leap to another level . But what if he reached his ceiling already ? What if ... I am honestly torn in between admiring and just nor seeing any future for him . Maybe both .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

  5. #145
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    606
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    No doubt that Lekavicius deserves most improved player award for this season in LKL . But lets not forget that a season before he probably was most disappointing player . I would say that he needs another summer where he can improve and make a leap to another level . But what if he reached his ceiling already ? What if ... I am honestly torn in between admiring and just nor seeing any future for him . Maybe both .
    I think we shouldnt look at his last season as an indication of what player he is. He was obviously burned out for playing the Whole summer then.

    Another thing to note imo is that even as this season proceeds he gradualy improves every month, atleast visualy. He is so confident latetly shooting over player like Gudaitis, when in the beginning of the season he would have stopped ant passed out.

  6. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    399
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Now that the season is almost over, what are your opinions on Kevin Pangos, his season and his future with Zalgiris?

    Is he likely coming back? Do you want him back? (Not sure if his 2nd year was at his or Zalgiris's option).


    Any truth to the Galatasaray rumors?
    https://www.talkbasket.net/24653-gal...in-pangos.html

  7. #147

    Default

    For my tastes his game relies on shootings threes too much. He's a very good shooter with a quick release and can kill the opposition on a good day. Overall he shot threes very well in Euroleague (45,7%), but he's not a good finisher around the basket (only 28% from 2) and isn't a great passer yet. He's still pretty young so I would like him to say, specially if Jasikevičius does. Seems like players improve vastly working with him (Motum is a great example, or Lekavicius). I think his next steps understanding Euro/Lith pass first ball even better and improving his game nearer the basket. He should be more aggressive going to the paint, probably to add a little bit of strength wouldn't hurt. Overall it was a solid season for Pangos, even if the start was really hard for him. I would predict a leap next year.

    If bigger clubs will hunt him, he's gone, IMO. Žalgiris can't offer the same as some Galatasaray fe. But for his career it would be a blessing to work with Jasikevičius for another year.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 05-05-2017 at 11:54 PM.

    The flick from the future...

  8. #148
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    606
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I think Pangos is to soft still. If he leaves he will make a mistake, because in any other Eurolegue Club he would be backup PG.
    Having said that, he has potential.

  9. #149
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,710
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Now that the season is almost over, what are your opinions on Kevin Pangos, his season and his future with Zalgiris?

    Is he likely coming back? Do you want him back? (Not sure if his 2nd year was at his or Zalgiris's option).


    Any truth to the Galatasaray rumors?
    https://www.talkbasket.net/24653-gal...in-pangos.html
    Pangos said he wouldn't mind to comeback, but a lot will depend on Jasikevicius' future in club. New coach would surely build a squad with his vision, while for Saras, Pangos suited quite well, well, atleast in his vision. Overall Kevin had very streaky season, but for his age and bearing in mind that it was his first season in EL, it's a normal thing. I frankly don't know if I want him to stay. There are better options than Pangos, atleast players who had better current season, but if Pangos would become more stable, would show his best or close to best game in most matches, I wouldn't mind him to stay. But here you have to be part of team practises, to see what player is capable of. Let's say none believed in Motum when he was re-signed, but this season he was way better. Obviously coaches saw that in practises, only thing he needed - more selfconfidence, experience at top level. Maybe the same could happen with Kevin too. So basically, I totally rely on Saras here, if he sees potential in him and will keep him, then I'll be just fine.
    Regarding contract, it's usualy mutual decision. If any part won't want to continue, then it just won't happen or f.e. Zalgiris surely won't try to match some big club few times better offer


  10. #150
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,497
    Country: Canada

    Default

    These Žalgiris TimeOut videos are all pretty good:




  11. #151
    Senior Member auris1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,103
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    These Žalgiris TimeOut videos are all pretty good:
    Oh common . You just like the girl ,don't you ? We all know your penchant for them adorable things that surrounds this game .
    http://play.tv3.lt/programos/lkl-sok...autostart=true
    Here ,they have tv show where cheerleaders from all LKL clubs do that they do best - charm old geezers like us .
    Btw...
    Do you know that the previous presenter hooked up Motum ?
    I know that Sonny Weems had a son while he was playing in Lithuania as well , plus probably many more sons/daughters that have been born what we do not know about to them foreign players throughout them many years .
    I mean most of them were/are living on their own ,are quite well paid and with plenty time on their hands ,and probably quite attractive as well .
    Maybe one day we will start seeing all them familiar faces again playing for our teams once more .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

  12. #152
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    39
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Oh common . You just like the girl ,don't you ? We all know your penchant for them adorable things that surrounds this game .
    http://play.tv3.lt/programos/lkl-sok...autostart=true
    Here ,they have tv show where cheerleaders from all LKL clubs do that they do best - charm old geezers like us .
    What's wrong with liking girls?

    If everything's consensual, I don't see why people should have a problem with foreigners hooking up with Lithuanians... It's a free world and other people's choices which don't affect them shouldn't really concern them (unless the choices are made against the will). And if we have one or two basketball players from these interethnic relationships crop up, all the better.

  13. #153
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,497
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Oh common . You just like the girl ,don't you ?
    Mmmmmm, yeah! This introductory video is super:




  14. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    399
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Oh common . You just like the girl ,don't you ? We all know your penchant for them adorable things that surrounds this game .
    http://play.tv3.lt/programos/lkl-sok...autostart=true
    Here ,they have tv show where cheerleaders from all LKL clubs do that they do best - charm old geezers like us .
    Btw...
    Do you know that the previous presenter hooked up Motum ?
    I know that Sonny Weems had a son while he was playing in Lithuania as well , plus probably many more sons/daughters that have been born what we do not know about to them foreign players throughout them many years .
    I mean most of them were/are living on their own ,are quite well paid and with plenty time on their hands ,and probably quite attractive as well .
    Maybe one day we will start seeing all them familiar faces again playing for our teams once more .
    On another thread today I noticed a the USA u16 FIBA America's roster was announced with a Weems on it. I was wondering if it was Sonny's son.

    How come Lithuania is letting him fall into the USA's hands? Where are the recruiting efforts?


    Check out the u16 FIBA America's thread for more info.

  15. #155
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,497
    Country: Canada

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    On another thread today I noticed a the USA u16 FIBA America's roster was announced with a Weems on it. I was wondering if it was Sonny's son.

    How come Lithuania is letting him fall into the USA's hands? Where are the recruiting efforts?
    Sonny Weems was born 8 July 1986. He played for Žalgiris in Lithuania in the 2011-12 season. How could he have a fourteen or fifteen year old son that would qualify as a Lithuanian?


  16. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    399
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Sonny Weems was born 8 July 1986. He played for Žalgiris in Lithuania in the 2011-12 season. How could he have a fourteen or fifteen year old son that would qualify as a Lithuanian?

    Ya - it was a half joke / half ignorance.

  17. #157
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,497
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Here Žalgiris' Canadian PG Kevin Pangos shows Dalia what he's got:




Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •