Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Chinese Taipei NT 2016 - 2019

  1. #21
    Senior Member locdogjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    228
    Country: Canada

    Default

    I appreciate the updates! Keep them coming if you ever have any news, my Chinese reading is shit so it is hard to get all the news about Taiwan.
    We The North

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Quincy Davis signed a 1+1 contract provision after meeting the expectation of the CTBA during the Jones Cup. Davis is booked for the FIBA Asia Challenge and next year's clause is slightly guaranteed.
    he wouldn't be experiencing this setup in the first place if he shaped up last year..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  3. #23
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    he wouldn't be experiencing this setup in the first place if he shaped up last year..
    You don't know the story. After that disc hernia surgery in Feb 2015 that took 5 months to get medical clearance, it would have been difficult to quickly get into form for anyone.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  4. #24
    Senior Member judasmartel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,930
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I looked back at how South Korea's 2014 WC campaign led to a gold medal in the Asian Games, in the sense that they are not really trying to win a WC game like Iran and the Philippines did (Hint: We all know Asian teams really can't win WC games, but it did not stop Team Melli and Gilas from trying, so it should not stop Korea from trying, too) and just treated it as training for the Asiad. Korea's "stroke of genius" really paid off as they won an AG gold medal against the Philippines and Iran, both of which, especially the former, have been very exhausted from going all-out in the Worlds. Sun Tzu's Art of War, indeed.

    All this got me wondering what could have happened if Chinese Taipei made it to the 2014 WC either instead of Korea or through a wildcard slot. Could have Lin Chih-Chieh, Tien Lei (he actually had a brief stint with the Sacramento Kings IIRC), and Tseng Wen-ting got noticed by international scouts? Could have Taiwanese basketball be noticed by the international basketball community like the Philippines was if they only play hard and go all-out every game? What if, indeed.
    Last edited by judasmartel; 12-12-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    At last, the New Jedi Order has returned!
    They shall liberate Philippine basketball
    from the clutches of the Evil Empire
    and carry on the dream of reaching the world.

    #PHBasketballUnityNow #ReturnToTheLight #NowIsTheTime
    #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

  5. #25
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    I looked back at how South Korea's 2014 WC campaign led to a gold medal in the Asian Games, in the sense that they are not really trying to win a WC game like Iran and the Philippines did (Hint: We all know Asian teams really can't win WC games, but it did not stop Team Melli and Gilas from trying, so it should not stop Korea from trying, too) and just treated it as training for the Asiad. Korea's "stroke of genius" really paid off as they won an AG gold medal against the Philippines and Iran, both of which, especially the former, have been very exhausted from going all-out in the Worlds. Sun Tzu's Art of War, indeed.

    All this got me wondering what could have happened if Chinese Taipei made it to the 2014 WC either instead of Korea or through a wildcard slot. Could have Lin Chih-Chieh, Tien Lei (he actually had a brief stint with the Sacramento Kings IIRC), and Tseng Wen-ting got noticed by international scouts? Could have Taiwanese basketball be noticed by the international basketball community like the Philippines was if they only play hard and go all-out every game? What if, indeed.
    Well, had Chinese Taipei won third in FIBA Asia 2013 and got last ticket to Spain 2014, they would have never approached it half-heartedly like Korea. Chinese Taipei are too proud and would welcome it by going all out.

    As per international exposure, only Chang Tsung-Hsien had the aspiration of making the NBA as he entered the 2012 NBA Draft but went undrafted. That was the time of the Next Jeremy Link Euphoria. While the rest of the TPE players were either aiming or trying to negotiate better deals in China's CBA. World Cup exposure no doubt would have granted better leverage for more money.

    Korea's Lee Jong-Hyun, the first round shots blocked per game leader in Spain 2014, went undrafted in the 2015 NBA Draft.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  6. #26
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Pauian's Quincy Davis has signed the NT contract with the CTBA worth 1 summer and he will still be the naturalized player for Chinese Taipei for EABA, William Jones Cup 2017 and the FIBA Asia Cup.

    Backing up Davis as a naturalized player reserve is Fubon's TJ Burke.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  7. #27
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Chou Jun-San was reinstated as the NT head coach according to reports and his contract will run until 2018 next year. Chou coached the NT from late 2012 to 2014.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    164
    Country: Jordan

    Default

    Any information about this year's edition of Jones Cup ?
    teams participating ?

  9. #29
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OSHAFA View Post
    Any information about this year's edition of Jones Cup ?
    teams participating ?
    2017 Jones Cup is July 15-23. Only TPE A, TPE B, Japan and Korea are confirmed for now.

    CTBA is trying to get the New Zealand Tall Blacks to participate.
    Last edited by CKR13; 05-12-2017 at 07:45 AM.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  10. #30
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    24 Player Pool for Chinese Taipei for FIBA Asia Cup and this year's qualifiers.

    Yu Huan-Ya
    Chiang Yu-An
    Joseph Lin
    Peng Chun-Yen
    Chou Yi-Hsiang
    Liu Cheng
    Cheng Li-Huan
    Hu Long-Mao
    Tsai Wen-Tseng
    Hu Kai-Hsiang
    Chou Bo-Hsun
    Chou Po-Chen
    Lin Chih-Wei
    Wu Tai-Hao
    Shih Yen-Tsong
    Quincy Davis
    Su Yi-Chih
    Song Yu-Hsuan
    Lu Cheng-Ju
    TJ Burke
    Chien Wei-Ju
    Tseng Wen-Ting
    Chen Ying-Chun
    Wu Hung-Hsing
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  11. #31
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    24 Player Pool for Chinese Taipei for FIBA Asia Cup and this year's qualifiers.

    Joseph Lin
    What? Jeremy's young brother isn't eligible, unless he is naturalized and takes a spot over Quincy Davis.

    Lee Wei-che is on the roster, not him.
    aim low, score high

  12. #32
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Oops sorry Sinobball, mistakenly written Joe Lin's name instead of Lee Wei-Cheh. Turns out that the article in TWsports suggested that Joe Lin is pending inclusion. Sorry bout that.

    Anyways, I believe the same applies for TJ Burke who will also be likely categorized as naturalized.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  13. #33
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Oops sorry Sinobball, mistakenly written Joe Lin's name instead of Lee Wei-Cheh. Turns out that the article in TWsports suggested that Joe Lin is pending inclusion. Sorry bout that.

    Anyways, I believe the same applies for TJ Burke who will also be likely categorized as naturalized.
    Unlike Joseph Lin, TJ Burke was born and grew up in Taiwan until age 13. And despite being 50% white and attending only English-speaking International schools in Taiwan, he actually speaks much better Mandarin than Joseph Lin. But you may be right about his eligibility.

    Finally, judging by their mediocre stats in the SBL, I'm not sure either will make the NT EVEN if they count as locals (Keep in mind the best Taiwanese players are virtually all in the CBA).
    aim low, score high

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    164
    Country: Jordan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    2017 Jones Cup is July 7-23. Only TPE A, TPE B, Japan and Korea are confirmed for now.

    CTBA is trying to get the New Zealand Tall Blacks to participate.
    Thanks for the answer

    Do you have any idea if Jordan was invited yet ?

  15. #35
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OSHAFA View Post
    Thanks for the answer

    Do you have any idea if Jordan was invited yet ?
    Sorry Oshafa, I have no way of knowing at the moment unless the organizers release the Jones Cup schedule early.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  16. #36
    Senior Member locdogjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    228
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Sorry Oshafa, I have no way of knowing at the moment unless the organizers release the Jones Cup schedule early.
    Thanks again for the information.
    Jones cup is very early this year, and will it really be two weeks?
    We The North

  17. #37
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,670
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locdogjr View Post
    Thanks again for the information.
    Jones cup is very early this year, and will it really be two weeks?
    Sorry, very difficult to use mobile on this forum, I amended the sked to 7/15-23. I wish we had Tapatalk.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  18. #38
    Senior Member locdogjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    228
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Sorry, very difficult to use mobile on this forum, I amended the sked to 7/15-23. I wish we had Tapatalk.
    Excellent, I was worried if it were the week before that I'd be out of Taiwan!
    Jones cup is always an awesome time
    We The North

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •