Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: Chinese Taipei NT 2016 - 2019

  1. #21
    Senior Member locdogjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    279
    Country: Canada

    Default

    I appreciate the updates! Keep them coming if you ever have any news, my Chinese reading is shit so it is hard to get all the news about Taiwan.
    We The North

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Quincy Davis signed a 1+1 contract provision after meeting the expectation of the CTBA during the Jones Cup. Davis is booked for the FIBA Asia Challenge and next year's clause is slightly guaranteed.
    he wouldn't be experiencing this setup in the first place if he shaped up last year..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  3. #23
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    he wouldn't be experiencing this setup in the first place if he shaped up last year..
    You don't know the story. After that disc hernia surgery in Feb 2015 that took 5 months to get medical clearance, it would have been difficult to quickly get into form for anyone.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  4. #24
    Senior Member judasmartel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,961
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I looked back at how South Korea's 2014 WC campaign led to a gold medal in the Asian Games, in the sense that they are not really trying to win a WC game like Iran and the Philippines did (Hint: We all know Asian teams really can't win WC games, but it did not stop Team Melli and Gilas from trying, so it should not stop Korea from trying, too) and just treated it as training for the Asiad. Korea's "stroke of genius" really paid off as they won an AG gold medal against the Philippines and Iran, both of which, especially the former, have been very exhausted from going all-out in the Worlds. Sun Tzu's Art of War, indeed.

    All this got me wondering what could have happened if Chinese Taipei made it to the 2014 WC either instead of Korea or through a wildcard slot. Could have Lin Chih-Chieh, Tien Lei (he actually had a brief stint with the Sacramento Kings IIRC), and Tseng Wen-ting got noticed by international scouts? Could have Taiwanese basketball be noticed by the international basketball community like the Philippines was if they only play hard and go all-out every game? What if, indeed.
    Last edited by judasmartel; 12-12-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    What is happening? The Empire Strikes Back! And they are more formidable than before! May the Force still be with us!

    #PHBasketballUnityNow #ReturnToTheLight #NowIsTheTime
    #WeStillBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

  5. #25
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    I looked back at how South Korea's 2014 WC campaign led to a gold medal in the Asian Games, in the sense that they are not really trying to win a WC game like Iran and the Philippines did (Hint: We all know Asian teams really can't win WC games, but it did not stop Team Melli and Gilas from trying, so it should not stop Korea from trying, too) and just treated it as training for the Asiad. Korea's "stroke of genius" really paid off as they won an AG gold medal against the Philippines and Iran, both of which, especially the former, have been very exhausted from going all-out in the Worlds. Sun Tzu's Art of War, indeed.

    All this got me wondering what could have happened if Chinese Taipei made it to the 2014 WC either instead of Korea or through a wildcard slot. Could have Lin Chih-Chieh, Tien Lei (he actually had a brief stint with the Sacramento Kings IIRC), and Tseng Wen-ting got noticed by international scouts? Could have Taiwanese basketball be noticed by the international basketball community like the Philippines was if they only play hard and go all-out every game? What if, indeed.
    Well, had Chinese Taipei won third in FIBA Asia 2013 and got last ticket to Spain 2014, they would have never approached it half-heartedly like Korea. Chinese Taipei are too proud and would welcome it by going all out.

    As per international exposure, only Chang Tsung-Hsien had the aspiration of making the NBA as he entered the 2012 NBA Draft but went undrafted. That was the time of the Next Jeremy Link Euphoria. While the rest of the TPE players were either aiming or trying to negotiate better deals in China's CBA. World Cup exposure no doubt would have granted better leverage for more money.

    Korea's Lee Jong-Hyun, the first round shots blocked per game leader in Spain 2014, went undrafted in the 2015 NBA Draft.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  6. #26
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Pauian's Quincy Davis has signed the NT contract with the CTBA worth 1 summer and he will still be the naturalized player for Chinese Taipei for EABA, William Jones Cup 2017 and the FIBA Asia Cup.

    Backing up Davis as a naturalized player reserve is Fubon's TJ Burke.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  7. #27
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Chou Jun-San was reinstated as the NT head coach according to reports and his contract will run until 2018 next year. Chou coached the NT from late 2012 to 2014.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  8. #28
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    24 Player Pool for Chinese Taipei for FIBA Asia Cup and this year's qualifiers.

    Yu Huan-Ya
    Chiang Yu-An
    Joseph Lin
    Peng Chun-Yen
    Chou Yi-Hsiang
    Liu Cheng
    Cheng Li-Huan
    Hu Long-Mao
    Tsai Wen-Tseng
    Hu Kai-Hsiang
    Chou Bo-Hsun
    Chou Po-Chen
    Lin Chih-Wei
    Wu Tai-Hao
    Shih Yen-Tsong
    Quincy Davis
    Su Yi-Chih
    Song Yu-Hsuan
    Lu Cheng-Ju
    TJ Burke
    Chien Wei-Ju
    Tseng Wen-Ting
    Chen Ying-Chun
    Wu Hung-Hsing
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  9. #29
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    24 Player Pool for Chinese Taipei for FIBA Asia Cup and this year's qualifiers.

    Joseph Lin
    What? Jeremy's young brother isn't eligible, unless he is naturalized and takes a spot over Quincy Davis.

    Lee Wei-che is on the roster, not him.
    aim low, score high

  10. #30
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Oops sorry Sinobball, mistakenly written Joe Lin's name instead of Lee Wei-Cheh. Turns out that the article in TWsports suggested that Joe Lin is pending inclusion. Sorry bout that.

    Anyways, I believe the same applies for TJ Burke who will also be likely categorized as naturalized.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  11. #31
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Oops sorry Sinobball, mistakenly written Joe Lin's name instead of Lee Wei-Cheh. Turns out that the article in TWsports suggested that Joe Lin is pending inclusion. Sorry bout that.

    Anyways, I believe the same applies for TJ Burke who will also be likely categorized as naturalized.
    Unlike Joseph Lin, TJ Burke was born and grew up in Taiwan until age 13. And despite being 50% white and attending only English-speaking International schools in Taiwan, he actually speaks much better Mandarin than Joseph Lin. But you may be right about his eligibility.

    Finally, judging by their mediocre stats in the SBL, I'm not sure either will make the NT EVEN if they count as locals (Keep in mind the best Taiwanese players are virtually all in the CBA).
    aim low, score high

  12. #32
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    I think the following:

    17yr old Wu Pei-Chia 206cm
    17yr old Jonah Morrison 206cm
    20yr old Jung Yi-Shen? 203cm
    23yr old Fan Shi-Ehn 200cm
    "Jung Yi-shen" is not Taiwanese, he's from Macau attending college in Taiwan, his name is actually romanized as Iong Ngai San. But he's not playing for Macau in EABA.

    The first 2 guys need to be integrated to the NT program ASAP since there's such as shortage of bigs in Taiwan. Morrison looks like a unique talent from the Asian U18 3X3 tournament that I watched, but I need to see him in a full 5x5 game to see how fast/durable he is in real basketball. Wu also appears to have potential.

    Fan Shih-en has decent potential but still no offensive skills beyond the mid-range jumper. Also needs to get a little stronger.

    Lin Chih-wei who's playing in EABA is I think even worse than Fan, he's just 2cm taller. He plays like a girl. I think Taiwan has good youngsters to fill the 2-3 positions like Liu Cheng, Chieng Li-huan, Chou Yi-hsiang, etc. but they need to seriously worry about the 4-5 positions. Quincy Davis is getting older, he can't play 35 minutes per game.

    I have noticed a player Tseng Hsiang-chun (205cm, 1998) who's not bad.
    Last edited by sinobball; 06-03-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    aim low, score high

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,270
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    I think Taiwan has good youngsters to fill the 2-3 positions like Liu Cheng, Chieng Li-huan, Chou Yi-hsiang, etc. but they need to seriously worry about the 4-5 positions.
    I predicted this 5 years ago.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  14. #34
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post

    The first 2 guys need to be integrated to the NT program ASAP since there's such as shortage of bigs in Taiwan. Morrison looks like a unique talent from the Asian U18 3X3 tournament that I watched, but I need to see him in a full 5x5 game to see how fast/durable he is in real basketball. Wu also appears to have potential.
    I've seen a couple of HBL clips of Morrison. He's like a young Tien Lei who plays center but really uses a PF skillset against smaller opponents. He does not really try to overpower or out-maneuver an opponent inside, what he lacks in post play he makes up with his advance jumper. He rarely dunks, often prefer finishing with layups via short drives. He can run the floor and is working on his three range.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    I've seen a couple of HBL clips of Morrison. He's like a young Tien Lei who plays center but really uses a PF skillset against smaller opponents. He does not really try to overpower or out-maneuver an opponent inside, what he lacks in post play he makes up with his advance jumper. He rarely dunks, often prefer finishing with layups via short drives. He can run the floor and is working on his three range.
    with the openness of ct to do naturalization plus the fact that basketball is a small man game nowadays, being thin in ceiling should be the least of ct concerns..they still produce tall and athletic wings, the problem arises if youre top slasher is below 6 feet..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  16. #36
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    with the openness of ct to do naturalization plus the fact that basketball is a small man game nowadays, being thin in ceiling should be the least of ct concerns..they still produce tall and athletic wings, the problem arises if youre top slasher is below 6 feet..
    It's not as simple as one would think.

    Naturalization - Chinese Taipei federation is willing but who is willing to give up their citizenship to play for Taiwan in FIBA's new windows? Quincy Davis took a huge risk financially for his family to play in 2013. CTBA is willing to offer compensation on an agreed contract, but they won't help you establish your livelihood and welfare long after you've hanged up your TPE jersey.

    Chinese Taipei needs bigmen regardless if they have a naturalized player at center. The critical spots must be filled are at the backup center positions, PF rotations and SF where they have trouble replacing old reliables like Tseng Wen-Ting, Tien Lei, Wu Tai-Hao and Tsai Wen-Tseng. Chou Yi-Hsiang is a shaky proposition while Kevin Hu will need more seasoning to grow.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  17. #37
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    I have noticed a player Tseng Hsiang-chun (205cm, 1998) who's not bad.
    Someone read my post! Tseng Hsiang-chun called up to the "A" NT which leaves for Australia this week for some friendlies. According to local reports, he's the youngest player named to the "A" NT in recent years.

    Also joining the NT are point guard Su I-chieh and veteran shooter Lu Cheng-ju. Tseng Wen-ting is still uncertain about playing.
    Last edited by sinobball; 06-21-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    aim low, score high

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Someone read my post! Tseng Hsiang-chun called up to the "A" NT [/B]which leaves for Australia this week for some friendlies. According to local reports, he's the youngest player named to the "A" NT in recent years.

    Also joining the NT are point guard Su I-chieh and veteran shooter Lu Cheng-ju. Tseng Wen-ting is still uncertain about playing.
    Lol, dont know him
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,761

    Default

    Yup the guy is like a young tseng weng ting long tall can shoot threes although i still think a lot 6'5 ballets in taiwan who is more fit to small ball things..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  20. #40
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    21,854
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quincy Davis is out of the lineup for FIBA Asia Cup due to a recurring injury. CTBA is optimistic that Davis will be available in November qualification games.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •