Chinese Taipei NT 2016 - 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
    Congratulations to Chen Ying-Chun and Chou Yi-Hsiang, who will be playing in the CBA soon. Welcome to the Mainland big leagues. As for the SBL, it lost its MVP and a budding star as Chen's path to the CBA will be emulated by many Taiwanese players in the future: Study and Play in the US, play a number of games with the TPE B team and get enlisted to the CBA.
    Good for them, its such a better league.

Cross straight relations would never allow this to happen, but I'd be so much happier with the level of basketball in this country if Taipei and perhaps Kaohsiung joined the CBA as expansion teams. This SBL thing is just sad basketball, no one cares. I think the fans and country would really get behind a Taipei team in the CBA.

I'm saying all of this while leaving politics completely to the side, since they are both sovereign nations, but having all the players jump ship and head to China just ruins the domestic league.
    We The North

Comment

Originally posted by locdogjr View Post

Cross straight relations would never allow this to happen, but I'd be so much happier with the level of basketball in this country if Taipei and perhaps Kaohsiung joined the CBA as expansion teams. This SBL thing is just sad basketball, no one cares. I think the fans and country would really get behind a Taipei team in the CBA.

I'm saying all of this while leaving politics completely to the side, since they are both sovereign nations, but having all the players jump ship and head to China just ruins the domestic league.
      Is it that cba pay is so high or that sba players pay peanuts, it looks like chinese taipei nt has been used as an audition to get a cba contract, wu tai hao was once a promising center at byu but seems unmotivated in sbl..
      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

just let pure youth/Pauian join abl

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
          Is it that cba pay is so high or that sba players pay peanuts, it looks like chinese taipei nt has been used as an audition to get a cba contract, wu tai hao was once a promising center at byu but seems unmotivated in sbl..
          The pay is so low, average payers don't make anything more than an average workers monthly salary. You are basically hoping and praying to hit the big CBA pay day.
          We The North

Comment

The pay is so low, average payers don't make anything more than an average workers monthly salary. You are basically hoping and praying to hit the big CBA pay day.
            and theyre the eaba champs..

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
              and theyre the eaba champs..
              But the top, what? 12 players or so are in China, so in a 5 team league that's basically all the best players. The ones left over are mostly uninspiring.
              We The North

Comment

I agree with the concept. The problem now is whose left in the SBL that will make it even watchable? In 3 seasons, SBL lost its established stars in Liu Cheng and Chou Yi-Hsiang. Then there's Ray Chien and Kevin Hu who skipped the SBL and went straight to the CBA.

This season, SBL All-Star looking already lackluster.
                Sacramento Kings
                HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

I agree with the concept. The problem now is whose left in the SBL that will make it even watchable? In 3 seasons, SBL lost its established stars in Liu Cheng and Chou Yi-Hsiang. Then there's Ray Chien and Kevin Hu who skipped the SBL and went straight to the CBA.

This season, SBL All-Star looking already lackluster.
                  Stick a Taipei team in the CBA, then let the Kaohshiung team play in the ABL.

After that, you establish some sort of D-League or use the SBL that way. It already has essentially zero interest.

Other ideas could be used, bring in more players from other countries. Let each team have two asian imports. Bring in guest teams from other countries, have a Filipino team or a Korean team come in.. Allow each team to have an extra American/Western whatever import, but they need to be under 190cm. Establish teams in other cities so that people develop a teamt o cheer for that is not based on a corporate sponsor.

Something needs to change, because even amongst locals mentioning the SBL is met with jokes and chuckles.
                  We The North

Comment

Stick a Taipei team in the CBA, then let the Kaohshiung team play in the ABL.

After that, you establish some sort of D-League or use the SBL that way. It already has essentially zero interest.

Other ideas could be used, bring in more players from other countries. Let each team have two asian imports. Bring in guest teams from other countries, have a Filipino team or a Korean team come in.. Allow each team to have an extra American/Western whatever import, but they need to be under 190cm. Establish teams in other cities so that people develop a teamt o cheer for that is not based on a corporate sponsor.

Something needs to change, because even amongst locals mentioning the SBL is met with jokes and chuckles.
                    I'm at my wit's end with theoretical fixes for the SBL. Their problem is a fundamental one at best where the administration can't even schedule games right and they are far below the marketing of the HBL which is comprised of faculty and professors who contracts a local PR firm.

Ironic is the fact that Taiwanese stars who play their game in the mainland helps the national team to be competitive but the double-edged effect is the SBL losing its stars and appeal.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

I'm at my wit's end with theoretical fixes for the SBL. Their problem is a fundamental one at best where the administration can't even schedule games right and they are far below the marketing of the HBL which is comprised of faculty and professors who contracts a local PR firm.

Ironic is the fact that Taiwanese stars who play their game in the mainland helps the national team to be competitive but the double-edged effect is the SBL losing its stars and appeal.
                      I don't even know if those CBA players coming home would help at this point. There's a huge amount of local distrust over professional sports here after all the scandals in the past, baseball has made a bit of a recovery.

Indeed though, many theoretical fixes could happen but there is something much more fundamentally wrong at work from the inside.
                      We The North

Comment

After FIBA Asia Cup and according to Eddie Tsai, who spoke with the CTBA secretary general, the federation will regroup by taking a hard look at the training pool and try to re-enlist old guns like Lin Chih-Chieh, Tseng Wen-Ting and Yang Jinmin alongside adding foreign born Taiwanese players into the extended pool ie TJ Burke, Steven Guinchard. Then integrate some youngsters with high upside for the FIBA Qualifier windows up ahead.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

After FIBA Asia Cup and according to Eddie Tsai, who spoke with the CTBA secretary general, the federation will regroup by taking a hard look at the training pool and try to re-enlist old guns like Lin Chih-Chieh, Tseng Wen-Ting and Yang Jinmin alongside adding foreign born Taiwanese players into the extended pool ie TJ Burke, Steven Guinchard. Then integrate some youngsters with high upside for the FIBA Qualifier windows up ahead.
                          UUGGGGHHHH.

Taiwan is so obsessed with their "Golden Generation".
                          Those dudes are washed. Why bother forcing them to keep competing, by 2019 they'll all be upper 30s. Tseng is required since he actually has some height, but whatever is plaguing this team and country basketball wise goes MUCH deeper and the solution to having Taiwan surpass Japan and Korea is NOT bringing back some geriatric former stars and clinging to a "golden generation" that never really accomplished much. Argentina has a golden generation and they are allowed to keep going to that well since those players actually had big wins.

Solutions have to exist but I truly don't think bringing back aging "stars" like Lin Chih Chieh is the answer. Chou Y-Hsieh is the same as him only younger. Turning the success of the HBL into the university and pro ranks is the key to success. Perhaps, finding Taiwanese abroad is the answer, something needs to change.
                          We The North

Comment

UUGGGGHHHH.

Those dudes are washed. Why bother forcing them to keep competing, by 2019 they'll all be upper 30s. Tseng is required since he actually has some height, but whatever is plaguing this team and country basketball wise goes MUCH deeper and the solution to having Taiwan surpass Japan and Korea is NOT bringing back some geriatric former stars and clinging to a "golden generation" that never really accomplished much. Argentina has a golden generation and they are allowed to keep going to that well since those players actually had big wins.

Solutions have to exist but I truly don't think bringing back aging "stars" like Lin Chih Chieh is the answer. Chou Y-Hsieh is the same as him only younger. Turning the success of the HBL into the university and pro ranks is the key to success. Perhaps, finding Taiwanese abroad is the answer, something needs to change.
                            We need allies, we need to compete with the other countries(imagine Australia C being champions amongs a field of Asian teams who send their very best?).. And these guys deserve to play in fiba competitions without restrictions..

Comment

UUGGGGHHHH.

While I don't necessarily agree with the plan on trying to re-activate Lin Chih-Chieh back into the fold, it does hold some merit especially in the proper context. Example is Lin being a reserve where this year's squad lacked a capable scorer off the bench. This is to sustain production when Liu Cheng, Chou Yi-Hsiang and Chen Ying-Chun goes to the bench. Veterans do have value in international play, but this is not to suggest that TPE must bank on Chih-Chieh's generation forever.

Eddie Tsai recently published an article about a 34 man TPE NT pool that is clustered in three classifications for players:

Veteran Mentors (Tien Lei etc)
                              Active Players (Liu Cheng etc)
                              Prospects (Wu Pei-Chia, Jonah Morrison etc)

Under Eddie's "generational" TPE NT pool, TPE A can tap two veteran mentors, stock the team with active players and reserve three spots for prospects to gain experience. Let's face it, there's not that many players for TPE that are NT quality from the SBL ranks. TPE B aka Universiade was literally scraping the barrel for their current roster.
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

The team is solid, but lack quality on bench play(will tien lei, Tseng and Lin play mentor role with Lucheng ru).. backup point guard to chen yi chun is ? chou po chen is solid but a back up at best but his effectiveness will not show in spot minutes..Lee Te wei is quality big physical fast but Taiwan doesn't know to use him..I dont why in the world is hu long mao in that lineup.. Andre paras is a better player than him

Its just that Quincy Davis gave them so much and covers up all the weakness of the team as evident to the eaba championship win (is Tsai injured) and that loss to Philippines "A2" team in a virtual home game with Quincy stings them and makes them "cautious"

Its that teams in Asia Pacific is much better..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information