Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: United Football League Teams in International Competitions

Philippine Football madness starts today (Wed., May 3, 2017) with the PFL teams facing foreign opponents in the AFC Cup. Both games will be aired live on Fox Sports starting at 7:30 pm;

Tomorrow (Thu., May 4, 2017) will be the UAAP Final Four, to be aired live on ABS-CBN Sports and Action starting at 2:00 pm;

Then on Saturday and Sunday (May 6-7, 2017) will be the start of the PFL season with the games to be aired live on PTV4 starting at 4:00 pm.

On Sunday (May 7, 2017) also will be the UAAP Finals which will be shown live on ABS-CBN Sports and Action starting at 3:00 pm.

Another great night for Philippine Club Football after both Philippine teams won their games in the AFC Cup, starting with Ceres Negros FC's win over Singapore's Tampines Rovers FC.

This was followed by Global-Cebu FC's rout of Cambodia's Beoungket Angkor FC.

Now that the Philippine Football League has officially started, I will now create a new thread about PFL teams playing in international competitions and games.

Azkals Learn to Live Without Mainstays for Tough China, Tajikistan Games

Learn why Thomas Dooley's men will play two tough matches without some key players.

Bob Guerrero
    Published 8:00 AM, June 06, 2017
    Updated 8:00 AM, June 06, 2017

The men's national football team is back in action during this FIFA international window with a pair of matches. Mainstays Phil and James Younghusband, Misagh Bahadoran, Manny Ott, Iain Ramsay, and Daisuke Sato are suiting up. See the original roster here, although there have been some changes since.

China will be a tough test as they are currently ranked 82nd in the world while the Philippines are 126th. The hosts are coached by Marcelo Lippi, who mentored Italy to a World Cup win in 2006. All but one of their players plays in the very competitive Chinese league. Only striker Zhang Yuning plies his trade outside of the Middle Kingdom. He plays for Vitesse in the Netherlands.

31-year old Gao Lin is one of their big threats with 18 goals in 91 caps but keep an eye on Huang Bowen. The midfielder, Gao's teammate in Guangzhou Evergrande, scored a brilliant volley goal in a match I commentated on 2 years ago and I believe he has tremendous quality.

Evergrande usually packs the 58,500-seat Tianhe stadium for their home games and it should be no different for this international match.

But the big game is the qualifier versus Tajikistan. The Philippines got off to a great start in their AFC Asian Cup qualifying with that solid 4-1 win against Nepal in Rizal Memorial last March. The Tajiks are 11 slots behind us in the FIFA rankings and one imagines we may not feel the advantage on the 13th.

Tajikistan haven't played very much of late. Their last game was a 1-0 win over Afghanistan in November. Eight months previous to that they drew Bahrain 1-1.

Coach Thomas Dooley says the Central Asians are fast and strong, like Uzbekistan, but perhaps at a slightly lower level.

It is imperative that Dooley's charges get a result on Dushanbe, but they will be without some important cogs.

Stephan Schrock and Martin Steuble are out of favor with the coach and are not selected. Dooley says Javi Patiño, whose knowledge of the Chinese league would have been invaluable in the first game, may be unavailable for at least the China game due to injury, although he was originally listed in the squad released by PFF. It's still unclear if he can follow for the qualifier.

Kaya FC's Filipino-American midfielder, Antonio Ugarte, was picked for this side but a hamstring injury has ruled him out.

But the one most conspicuous in his absence will be goalie Neil Etheridge. The 27-year old has just signed a contract with English second-tier side Cardiff City after a spell in Walsall, a tier below. (Cardiff is actually in Wales but they play in the English league system.) Dooley says the keeper does not want to risk injury before his contract officially begins with the Welsh team on July 1, so he has declined an invitation to be part of the squad.

“I'm disappointed,” says Dooley. “This is the most important game for the country.”

“If it was only the friendly versus China I could understand. But this is a qualifier against Tajikistan,” added the German-American coach.

Dooley said he was once in a similar situation with the United States Men's National Team and chose country over club, costing him a starting position with his team at the time, Schalke.

“I guess everyone is different,” he added.

Etheridge explained his side via a phone call on Saturday.

“This is the biggest move of my career,” said the goalie. “Legally my contract does not start until July 1. Before that I am still a Walsall player. If anything was to happen between now and July 1, Cardiff could turn around and put the new contract on hold until I'm fully fit.”

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-spo...kistan-preview)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234