No announcement yet.

2016 FIBA Asia Challenge [Tehran, Iran, Sep 9-18]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my information is correct, Japan is sending a team with only 1 player over 2m (Atsuya Ota). The naturalized player Ira Brown is only 6'4'' = 193cm.
    aim low, score high

Comment

Chinese Taipei NT for FIBA Asia Challenge

Liu Cheng
      Chou Yi-Hsiang
      Quincy Davis
      Hu Long-Mao
      Chou Po-Chen
      Lin Chi-Wei
      Lee Te-Wei
      Chien Wei-Ju
      Chiang Yu-An
      Chou Bo-Hsun
      Hu Kai-Hsiang
      Lee Wei-Che
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Iran 12 man roster

Hamed Haddadi
        Oshin Sahakian
        Mohammad Jamshidi
        Arsalan Kazemi
        Behnam Yakhchali
        Mohammad Hassanzadeh
        Rouzbeh Arghavan
        Farid Aslani
        Sajjad Mashayekhi
        Meisam Mirzaei
        Adnan Doraghi
        Vahid Dalirzahan

Comment

I think Iran & South Korea are the favorites to figure in the finals.

Taiwan, China & Japan on the other hand are the dark horses in this tournament.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

My prediction on the games today/tonight:

China winning over Jordan by around 8 pts.

Phi. over India by a slim margin

Iran over Qatar by at least 18 pts.

Korea over Japan by 10 pts.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

I caught the last 3 quarters of the China-Jordan game
              * Referees suck, way too many ticky tacky fouls, each team shot 34/35 free throws
              * Dar Tucker is Jordanian Andray Blatche (not in position, just in physical shape and approach to the game)
              * China made way too many mistakes in the 3rd quarter
              * Jordanian bigs are decent (even if not very tall) but their native guards are very slow
              * Sam Daghlas (almost unrecognizable with his sideburns) made many changes on defense, I think he's still experimenting
              * Zaid Abbas getting old but still a workhorse, playing almost 40 minutes with good efforts
              * Daghlas didn't play Tucker a lot of minutes

For China, it was a good win, and Yuan Shuai the 3-pt marksman (the joke in China being his point total is always a multiple of 3) connected a lot of 3's. This China "B" has a lot of offensive talent but not enough experience, and the 3rd quarter showed it, with some very bad turnovers. Chinese players still lack fundamentals, and it will be hard against a team like Iran, not to mention European teams, with these kind of mistakes.

Good thing for China is 11 players played and scored like the warmup game with North Korea, this is a relatively deep team. The guards need to have more assertiveness and not always try to find the big men, this will reduce the turnovers.

I was very unhappy with defensive rebounds, Dar Tucker should have never gotten those 5 offensive rebounds if Chinese players could box out, but this for Chinese basketball is nothing new.

I also watched a little of Philippines-India game, and no comment....
              aim low, score high

Comment

I've also discovered that Iranian TV broadcasters like to zoom in on the basket after a shot is released, it's weird. Aside from that the feed is great, no complaints.
                aim low, score high

Comment

Not surprised with Iran's mauling of Qatar 81-49

Qatar is on a rebuilding with only 2 veteran players from the original Qatar team that was very competitive in Asian basketball during the mid & late 2000's. I think the new players of Qatar aren't as good as their predecessors, or maybe becoz they are still young & inexperience.

I've watched some games of Qatar in the recent 2016 GCC Championship in w/c Qatar won the title. Qatar may have won the championship but not without struggles. The Qataris barely survived UAE, 70-67, then escaped a double-overtime win over Bahrain, 82-79 in a game which Bahrain would have won if not for costly lapses in the stretch. Then Qatar finally succumbed to Saudi Arabia. But the Qataris went on a payback by beating the Saudis in the much more important championship game winning over Saudi Arabia 66-61 to clinch the GCC title.

The results of the games in the GCC indicates that the rebuilding team of Qatar ins't as strong the Qatar team of old, so to speak. With the retirement of their many time national players, the current Qatar team looks like a depleted team. The close games that it had in the GCC tournament only indicates that the current team of Qatar is just within the level of its Persian Gulf neighbors Saudi Arabia, UAE & Bahrain. About 7 to 10 years ago, Qatar enjoyed significant edge over its Gulf neighbors. It seems that edge has vanished.

Comment

any livestream?

Comment

Even when Iran plays the stadium is still 95% empty!~
                      aim low, score high

Comment

After 2 games, China "B" is shooting 46% from the 3's, making 10-11 threes each game. Five players (Liu Zhixuan, Fang Shuo, Yuan Shuai, Zhao Yanhao and He Tianju) have made at least 3 threes, and Li Nan can afford to have at least 2 of these snipers on the floor at all times.

The team is still too inexperienced (no player with FIBA Asia experience), and I think they will get exposed badly by South Korea or (if they get to meet) Iran. However, there are still 3 easier games left before that, starting with hopefully a massacre tomorrow.
                        Last edited by sinobball; 09-11-2016, 06:53 PM.
                        aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
                          Even when Iran plays the stadium is still 95% empty!~
                          Maybe the tournament wasn't marketed at all?
                          GILAS WISHLIST:
                          6'8 Pingris

Comment

I do not understand why livebasketball does not show the entire tournament, and the only uninteresting games. Another shame FIBA, so wanted to look at Iran and China.

China leaves a great impression, managed to see both games against Jordan and Kazakhstan, the command runs, a three-pointer throws all five, normal defense effort, I especially liked the Yuan Shuai in the first game (5/7 3s). It seems a little tired after the Olympics Zou Youchen for me, all five with a great throw, and Jordan gave them to take on all of 100%. For me, the most experienced and top-end in this part of He TianJu, one of the leaders of Liaoning (last year who had been in the summer league) comes off the bench does not spoil the impression, but not a leader on the floor. Start: Cui Jimming - Chinese leader Jilin, perhaps the best player in the position after the Olympians. Fang Shuo - chief assistant, partner Steph Marbury, fully took over the passage of a ring other than a vision of open partners. Liu Zhixuan was the best Chinese player in the defensive part of Liaoning, in the national team, he absolutely does not hesitate to throw the ball. Hu Jinque is Yi Jianlian of this team, skinny center with soft hand, and 'light' head, best scorer and rebounder.

My predict to the Final: Iran - China, Iran will win
                            3rd place: Korea - Taipei
                            https://twitter.com/MicaHack

Comment

Originally posted by Mika Hakinen View Post
                              I do not understand why livebasketball does not show the entire tournament, and the only uninteresting games. Another shame FIBA, so wanted to look at Iran and China.

China leaves a great impression, managed to see both games against Jordan and Kazakhstan, the command runs, a three-pointer throws all five, normal defense effort, I especially liked the Yuan Shuai in the first game (5/7 3s). It seems a little tired after the Olympics Zou Youchen for me, all five with a great throw, and Jordan gave them to take on all of 100%. For me, the most experienced and top-end in this part of He TianJu, one of the leaders of Liaoning (last year who had been in the summer league) comes off the bench does not spoil the impression, but not a leader on the floor. Start: Cui Jimming - Chinese leader Jilin, perhaps the best player in the position after the Olympians. Fang Shuo - chief assistant, partner Steph Marbury, fully took over the passage of a ring other than a vision of open partners. Liu Zhixuan was the best Chinese player in the defensive part of Liaoning, in the national team, he absolutely does not hesitate to throw the ball. Hu Jinque is Yi Jianlian of this team, skinny center with soft hand, and 'light' head, best scorer and rebounder.

My predict to the Final: Iran - China, Iran will win
                              3rd place: Korea - Taipei
                              Zou Yuchen is the only player from the Olympics here but he is hardly the best big man on this team, which is ironic considering he did pretty good in the Olympics compared to Zhou Qi and Wang Zhelin. I think China just wanted to get him experiences playing in Asia now that he figures to be a mainstay of the "A" team, but it's a little unfair to the other big guys who were with the "B" team all summer, especially Shen Zijie, but I can understand since these 5 guys: Wang Zhelin, Zhou Qi, Zou Yuchen, Hu Jinqiu, and Fan Ziming are more than enough for China "A" in the next ~5 years.

The only player on the team besides Zou Yuchen that has a 100% chance of making the "A" team is Hu Jinqiu. He's not Yi Jianlian, but with his hustle, efforts and mid-range shots he will be a very effective post player internationally, especially as he gets more experience and cuts down on his turnovers. Fan Ziming has a 90% chance, but he definitely needs to up his d-game. It's hard to say about the rest, Zhao Yanhao (1997) and Yuan Shuai (1994) are great shooters worth watching. Some players like the captain and leader Fang Shuo may realistically never make the "A" team, but I believe he's one of the best guards in this tournament. If there's one perimeter player here that should have been included in the Olympic team, I would have chosen Liu Zhixuan over Ding Yanyuhang, really love this guy.
                              aim low, score high

Comment

Im a personal fan of Zou Youchen, im specially saw Bayi games in last season to see him. I think he had great experience in CBA when he played against top(NBA)-level players. I hope he will be good player(not only for Asia) in near future.
                                https://twitter.com/MicaHack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information