Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 FIBA Asia Challenge [Tehran, Iran, Sep 9-18]

I caught the last 3 quarters of the China-Jordan game
    * Referees suck, way too many ticky tacky fouls, each team shot 34/35 free throws
    * Dar Tucker is Jordanian Andray Blatche (not in position, just in physical shape and approach to the game)
    * China made way too many mistakes in the 3rd quarter
    * Jordanian bigs are decent (even if not very tall) but their native guards are very slow
    * Sam Daghlas (almost unrecognizable with his sideburns) made many changes on defense, I think he's still experimenting
    * Zaid Abbas getting old but still a workhorse, playing almost 40 minutes with good efforts
    * Daghlas didn't play Tucker a lot of minutes

For China, it was a good win, and Yuan Shuai the 3-pt marksman (the joke in China being his point total is always a multiple of 3) connected a lot of 3's. This China "B" has a lot of offensive talent but not enough experience, and the 3rd quarter showed it, with some very bad turnovers. Chinese players still lack fundamentals, and it will be hard against a team like Iran, not to mention European teams, with these kind of mistakes.

Good thing for China is 11 players played and scored like the warmup game with North Korea, this is a relatively deep team. The guards need to have more assertiveness and not always try to find the big men, this will reduce the turnovers.

I was very unhappy with defensive rebounds, Dar Tucker should have never gotten those 5 offensive rebounds if Chinese players could box out, but this for Chinese basketball is nothing new.

I also watched a little of Philippines-India game, and no comment....
    aim low, score high

I've also discovered that Iranian TV broadcasters like to zoom in on the basket after a shot is released, it's weird. Aside from that the feed is great, no complaints.
    aim low, score high

Not surprised with Iran's mauling of Qatar 81-49

Qatar is on a rebuilding with only 2 veteran players from the original Qatar team that was very competitive in Asian basketball during the mid & late 2000's. I think the new players of Qatar aren't as good as their predecessors, or maybe becoz they are still young & inexperience.

I've watched some games of Qatar in the recent 2016 GCC Championship in w/c Qatar won the title. Qatar may have won the championship but not without struggles. The Qataris barely survived UAE, 70-67, then escaped a double-overtime win over Bahrain, 82-79 in a game which Bahrain would have won if not for costly lapses in the stretch. Then Qatar finally succumbed to Saudi Arabia. But the Qataris went on a payback by beating the Saudis in the much more important championship game winning over Saudi Arabia 66-61 to clinch the GCC title.

The results of the games in the GCC indicates that the rebuilding team of Qatar ins't as strong the Qatar team of old, so to speak. With the retirement of their many time national players, the current Qatar team looks like a depleted team. The close games that it had in the GCC tournament only indicates that the current team of Qatar is just within the level of its Persian Gulf neighbors Saudi Arabia, UAE & Bahrain. About 7 to 10 years ago, Qatar enjoyed significant edge over its Gulf neighbors. It seems that edge has vanished.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus," or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

any livestream?

Even when Iran plays the stadium is still 95% empty!~
    aim low, score high

After 2 games, China "B" is shooting 46% from the 3's, making 10-11 threes each game. Five players (Liu Zhixuan, Fang Shuo, Yuan Shuai, Zhao Yanhao and He Tianju) have made at least 3 threes, and Li Nan can afford to have at least 2 of these snipers on the floor at all times.

The team is still too inexperienced (no player with FIBA Asia experience), and I think they will get exposed badly by South Korea or (if they get to meet) Iran. However, there are still 3 easier games left before that, starting with hopefully a massacre tomorrow.
    Last edited by sinobball; 09-11-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    aim low, score high

Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Even when Iran plays the stadium is still 95% empty!~
    Maybe the tournament wasn't marketed at all?
    Forever a SPUR.
    F.U.N.D.A.M.E.N.T.A.L.S

I do not understand why livebasketball does not show the entire tournament, and the only uninteresting games. Another shame FIBA, so wanted to look at Iran and China.

China leaves a great impression, managed to see both games against Jordan and Kazakhstan, the command runs, a three-pointer throws all five, normal defense effort, I especially liked the Yuan Shuai in the first game (5/7 3s). It seems a little tired after the Olympics Zou Youchen for me, all five with a great throw, and Jordan gave them to take on all of 100%. For me, the most experienced and top-end in this part of He TianJu, one of the leaders of Liaoning (last year who had been in the summer league) comes off the bench does not spoil the impression, but not a leader on the floor. Start: Cui Jimming - Chinese leader Jilin, perhaps the best player in the position after the Olympians. Fang Shuo - chief assistant, partner Steph Marbury, fully took over the passage of a ring other than a vision of open partners. Liu Zhixuan was the best Chinese player in the defensive part of Liaoning, in the national team, he absolutely does not hesitate to throw the ball. Hu Jinque is Yi Jianlian of this team, skinny center with soft hand, and 'light' head, best scorer and rebounder.

My predict to the Final: Iran - China, Iran will win
    3rd place: Korea - Taipei

Quote Originally Posted by Mika Hakinen View Post
    I do not understand why livebasketball does not show the entire tournament, and the only uninteresting games. Another shame FIBA, so wanted to look at Iran and China.

China leaves a great impression, managed to see both games against Jordan and Kazakhstan, the command runs, a three-pointer throws all five, normal defense effort, I especially liked the Yuan Shuai in the first game (5/7 3s). It seems a little tired after the Olympics Zou Youchen for me, all five with a great throw, and Jordan gave them to take on all of 100%. For me, the most experienced and top-end in this part of He TianJu, one of the leaders of Liaoning (last year who had been in the summer league) comes off the bench does not spoil the impression, but not a leader on the floor. Start: Cui Jimming - Chinese leader Jilin, perhaps the best player in the position after the Olympians. Fang Shuo - chief assistant, partner Steph Marbury, fully took over the passage of a ring other than a vision of open partners. Liu Zhixuan was the best Chinese player in the defensive part of Liaoning, in the national team, he absolutely does not hesitate to throw the ball. Hu Jinque is Yi Jianlian of this team, skinny center with soft hand, and 'light' head, best scorer and rebounder.

My predict to the Final: Iran - China, Iran will win
    3rd place: Korea - Taipei
    Zou Yuchen is the only player from the Olympics here but he is hardly the best big man on this team, which is ironic considering he did pretty good in the Olympics compared to Zhou Qi and Wang Zhelin. I think China just wanted to get him experiences playing in Asia now that he figures to be a mainstay of the "A" team, but it's a little unfair to the other big guys who were with the "B" team all summer, especially Shen Zijie, but I can understand since these 5 guys: Wang Zhelin, Zhou Qi, Zou Yuchen, Hu Jinqiu, and Fan Ziming are more than enough for China "A" in the next ~5 years.

The only player on the team besides Zou Yuchen that has a 100% chance of making the "A" team is Hu Jinqiu. He's not Yi Jianlian, but with his hustle, efforts and mid-range shots he will be a very effective post player internationally, especially as he gets more experience and cuts down on his turnovers. Fan Ziming has a 90% chance, but he definitely needs to up his d-game. It's hard to say about the rest, Zhao Yanhao (1997) and Yuan Shuai (1994) are great shooters worth watching. Some players like the captain and leader Fang Shuo may realistically never make the "A" team, but I believe he's one of the best guards in this tournament. If there's one perimeter player here that should have been included in the Olympic team, I would have chosen Liu Zhixuan over Ding Yanyuhang, really love this guy.
    aim low, score high

Im a personal fan of Zou Youchen, im specially saw Bayi games in last season to see him. I think he had great experience in CBA when he played against top(NBA)-level players. I hope he will be good player(not only for Asia) in near future.

I like Zou too, but he shouldn't be given too big a role offensively, he's essentially a blue-collar type player who is good at offensive rebounds, down and dirty defense assignments, and mid-range shots. I think he was a little lost these 2 games because they try to dump the ball to him down low too much and he's not a good passer in the post.

Good thing is China doesn't really need him now, he can be saved until Haddadi (if China ever makes the final). So far all 12 Chinese players have scored at least 8 points, this might be the deepest Chinese teams ever in memory, aside from Hu Jinqiu (and possibly Liu Zhixuan) everybody is about the same level and brings something different to the table, really enjoying this 12-man rotation.
    aim low, score high

Sunday’s Top 5 Players at the FIBA Asia Challenge 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mika Hakinen View Post
    Sunday’s Top 5 Players at the FIBA Asia Challenge 2016
    Except for 38-year-old Boney Watson, every American has made the All-Star 5 on at least one day.
    aim low, score high

After 2 games, China "B" is shooting 46% from the 3's, making 10-11 threes each game. Five players (Liu Zhixuan, Fang Shuo, Yuan Shuai, Zhao Yanhao and He Tianju) have made at least 3 threes, and Li Nan can afford to have at least 2 of these snipers on the floor at all times.

The team is still too inexperienced (no player with FIBA Asia experience), and I think they will get exposed badly by South Korea or (if they get to meet) Iran. However, there are still 3 easier games left before that, starting with hopefully a massacre tomorrow.
    No excuse.They don't lack of experience of Fiba Asia.They played a lot of Asian youth games in the last several years.

One thing working against Korea if they ever meet China is the lack of big men in the Korean side compared to the depth of the Chinese front-court. After 206cm Kim Jong-Kyu, Korea only has natural PF Jang Jae-Seok at 203 and 200 cm Choi Buk-Young. Both Jae-Seok and Buk-Young cannot defend the paint.

201 CM Jeong Hyo-Geun is an SF. Kim Jong-Kyu is not a good interior defender and this is where they miss Lee Jong-Hyun the most.

It seems that if Kim Jong-Kyu gets in foul trouble, Korea will be very vulnerable inside.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Quote Originally Posted by McCalebb2015 View Post
    No excuse.They don't lack of experience of Fiba Asia.They played a lot of Asian youth games in the last several years.
    If I'm correct, half the team (Cui Jinming, Fang Shuo, He Tianju, Zhao Dapeng, Tao Hanlin and Liu Zhixuan) never played in any FIBA Asian youth competitions, and 2 others (Yuan Shuai and Wu Qian) only played in World U19, but not in any Asian youth competitions. So where does "a lot of Asian youth games in the last several years" come from? Unless you are counting 3X3 which I never pay attention to.
    aim low, score high

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    One thing working against Korea if they ever meet China is the lack of big men in the Korean side compared to the depth of the Chinese front-court. After 206cm Kim Jong-Kyu, Korea only has natural PF Jang Jae-Seok at 203 and 200 cm Choi Buk-Young. Both Jae-Seok and Buk-Young cannot defend the paint.

201 CM Jeong Hyo-Geun is an SF. Kim Jong-Kyu is not a good interior defender and this is where they miss Lee Jong-Hyun the most.

It seems that if Kim Jong-Kyu gets in foul trouble, Korea will be very vulnerable inside.
    Good to know, but I never underestimate Korea, they are always well-coached and know how to exploit other team's weaknesses, and this Chinese team is very turnover-prone which plays to their advantage. In fact, this Chinese team barely beat North Korea (which has no post presence whatsoever) not even 2 weeks ago.
    aim low, score high

As much as I hate to admit it, China struggled against the Philippines. Give the Philippines credit, they tried all methods they could and executed their offense well and fought for rebounds. When the 3's don't fall, China's only saving grace was Hu Jinqiu. Again, Zou Yuchen is a useful player, but should never be used as an anchor in the post to pass out of a double team, that's beyond his capability, feeding him the ball not deep enough is asking for turnovers.

This is a great experience for the team though, better get exposed early than late. Unfortunately Zhao Dapeng seems to have gotten injured. Fortunately nobody else is.
    aim low, score high

Haddadi looks soo lazy, is he princess?

As much as I hate to admit it, China struggled against the Philippines. Give the Philippines credit, they tried all methods they could and executed their offense well and fought for rebounds. When the 3's don't fall, China's only saving grace was Hu Jinqiu. Again, Zou Yuchen is a useful player, but should never be used as an anchor in the post to pass out of a double team, that's beyond his capability, feeding him the ball not deep enough is asking for turnovers.

This is a great experience for the team though, better get exposed early than late. Unfortunately Zhao Dapeng seems to have gotten injured. Fortunately nobody else is.
    If we had our naturalized players, Blatche or Douthit, it would have been more closer (or perhaps we could steal a win). Our team have so many problems on offense: zero inside game, no set plays (HORNS, PnR, PnP, Triangle, etc.), barely any fast breaks, and poor outside shooting. How the hell did we lose only by 10?

question for you: how does China train its big men? Even at 19 years of age, Yi Jian-Lian was already exceptional. I first saw him play in 2006 Doha Asian Games.
    Forever a SPUR.
    F.U.N.D.A.M.E.N.T.A.L.S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast