Asia Championship 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asia Championship 2017

Australia is strongly consider bidding to host the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup or the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup. There is also the possibly of Australia and New Zealand making a joint bid. As FIBA doesn't have control over the NBA or NCAA college basketball, the Australian players in those two competitions won't be released for the international windows in November and February, but they should still be free for the June and September windows. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...14-giz9iv.html

I have some questions to ask:
    - 2 teams from Oceania will participate in the next Fiba Asia Cup. Will this tournament remain with 16 teams? I mean if it remains with 16 teams, Fiba Asia should remove 2 spots from a sub-zone. it won't be fair..

- The rankings will be important for the 2019 World Cup Qualification because only 14 asian teams + 2 teams from Oceania aka Australia and New Zealand will compete (division A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlHjj0S9zIM). So I think it's better to have 24 teams. What do you think?

- What are the interests for the NT to play this competition which won't give tickets to the world cup or olympic games? but it can help them to have a better ranking…

Originally posted by Lamartine View Post
    Australia is strongly consider bidding to host the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup or the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup. There is also the possibly of Australia and New Zealand making a joint bid. As FIBA doesn't have control over the NBA or NCAA college basketball, the Australian players in those two competitions won't be released for the international windows in November and February, but they should still be free for the June and September windows. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...14-giz9iv.html

I have some questions to ask:
    - 2 teams from Oceania will participate in the next Fiba Asia Cup. Will this tournament remain with 16 teams? I mean if it remains with 16 teams, Fiba Asia should remove 2 spots from a sub-zone. it won't be fair..

- The rankings will be important for the 2019 World Cup Qualification because only 14 asian teams + 2 teams from Oceania aka Australia and New Zealand will compete (division A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlHjj0S9zIM). So I think it's better to have 24 teams. What do you think?

- What are the interests for the NT to play this competition which won't give tickets to the world cup or olympic games? but it can help them to have a better ranking…
    Are Australia and New Zealand already included in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup? I thought they will be included in 2021, but I'm not that sure. Please enlighten me.

As for your questions:

- Not really. Whether you remove the bottom 2 teams from FIBA Asia 2015 (Singapore and Malaysia) or the 15th & 16th Asian teams in the FIBA World Rankings (Kuwait and Uzbekistan) from Division A, the number of competitive Asian teams remain the same, so it's not really unfair. Division B must prove themselves worthy of being in Division A by earning their slots for the next qualifiers' Division A.

- As much as I want to support the move to make the Division A qualifiers a 24-team field, I don't see it happening considering how the Asia Zone is not as competitive as say, Europe. As some of our European friends pointed out in the Olympics thread, the reason why Europe has more slots is because it's so damn competitive it's difficult for even the strongest EU teams to make it to the WC or the Olympics. Whereas it's relatively easier, but still difficult, for non-EU teams to enter the world stage, thus they are only given 1 slot each in the Olympics (Americas have 2 because Team USA).

- The Zone Championships AFTER Olympic years (2017, 2021, etc.) do not have bearing for WC or Olympic qualification, but the ones BEFORE Olympic years (2019, 2023, etc.) do have bearing to Olympic qualification as the Top 2 teams in each zone will join the top 16 WC teams that didn't make it directly to the Olympics in four Olympic Qualifying Tournaments. Should any of the Top 2 teams in each zone are also one of the 16 non-qualified WC teams, the next best teams in each zone will take their spots.

- For example, let's say the top 8 Asia-Pacific teams after the 2019 WC qualifiers (including hosts China) are Australia, New Zealand, China, Iran, Philippines, Japan, and Lebanon. Let's say Australia comes out as the top Oceania team and China comes out as the top Asian team in the 2019 WC, then they make it to Tokyo 2020. Then let's say Iran is one of the Top 16 non-qualified WC teams and the Top 4 of the 2019 FIBA Asia Champs are Iran, Philippines, Japan, and Lebanon. As hosts of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Japan is already qualified for the Olympics. As Iran is one of the top 16 non-qualified WC teams, Philippines and Lebanon make it to the OQT.
    Originally posted by gideon
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
      Are Australia and New Zealand already included in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup? I thought they will be included in 2021, but I'm not that sure. Please enlighten me.

As for your questions:

- Not really. Whether you remove the bottom 2 teams from FIBA Asia 2015 (Singapore and Malaysia) or the 15th & 16th Asian teams in the FIBA World Rankings (Kuwait and Uzbekistan) from Division A, the number of competitive Asian teams remain the same, so it's not really unfair. Division B must prove themselves worthy of being in Division A by earning their slots for the next qualifiers' Division A.
      Fiba Asia officials came to Lebanon to explain the procedure.http://www.arabasket.com/2016/04/11/...w-fiba-system/
      They explained 2 important things:

- as we know, Australia and New Zealand will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. The best 5 teams of 2017 Fiba Asia Challenge will give an additional slot to their zone.

- 2017 FIBA Asia Championship will be important because the best 14 teams of this tournament will qualify to the WC Qualification (division A).

16 countries will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. 2 countries are "already" qualified : Australia and New Zealand. Fiba Asia will choose the host country later. fiba asia challenge will be important to determinate how many slots will have each zone!

Comment

Wait, what? Only 14? I thought they expanded FIBA Asia to 24 teams for 2017. Or is it for 2021?

Also, so FIBA Asia 2017 will decide which teams will make it to Division A of the Asia WC qualifiers?
        Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
          Wait, what? Only 14? I thought they expanded FIBA Asia to 24 teams for 2017. Or is it for 2021?

Also, so FIBA Asia 2017 will decide which teams will make it to Division A of the Asia WC qualifiers?

nothing is clear about the number of teams who will play in Fiba Asia 2017. maybe 16,

FIBA Asia 2017 will decide which teams will make it to Division A : the first 14 teams of the tournament will qualify to the WC. fiba asia will choose 2 additional teams.

Comment

I think 2 teams will be added Australia and New Zealand.Nobody will be removed from FIBA Asia actual teams.
            Do you want to save big bucks for a T-shirt👕?Hurry up for our Online Store Promo,Our Volt Design T-shirt has Some Old Stocks T-shirts that are selling for 49 Pesos plus 79 pesos Shipping fee nationwide.🛵COD within Metro Manila is available,Pay 79 pesos shipping fee first on Provincial COD.Order Now!!🥰
            Buy here👉https://www.pinoyhoopz.com/promo.html

Comment

Do you have any official News from FIBA confirmed Asia Cup will add AUS and NZ?

I can't find it

Originally posted by Lamartine View Post
              Fiba Asia officials came to Lebanon to explain the procedure.http://www.arabasket.com/2016/04/11/...w-fiba-system/
              They explained 2 important things:

- as we know, Australia and New Zealand will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. The best 5 teams of 2017 Fiba Asia Challenge will give an additional slot to their zone.

- 2017 FIBA Asia Championship will be important because the best 14 teams of this tournament will qualify to the WC Qualification (division A).

16 countries will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. 2 countries are "already" qualified : Australia and New Zealand. Fiba Asia will choose the host country later. fiba asia challenge will be important to determinate how many slots will have each zone!

Comment

Originally posted by hunight View Post
                Do you have any official News from FIBA confirmed Asia Cup will add AUS and NZ?

I can't find it
                No official news but DJ Xie said that.

未命名.JPG

Comment

2017 FIBA Asia Pacific ( August 2017) proposal
                  4 groups with 4 teams
                  Group A: Melbourne, Australia
                  Group B: Perth, Australia
                  Group C: Brisbane Australia
                  Group D: Auckland, New Zealand

Round 2: Group E : Sydney Australia
                  Group F: Adelaide Australia
                  Semis and finals: Sydney Australia

What do you think?
                  NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                  https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Lebanon to bid for 2017 FIBA Asia Cup

Comment

Originally posted by FaLebanon View Post
                      Lebanon to bid for 2017 FIBA Asia Cup
                      How is security going over there? Just asking, but I think it's about damn time Lebanon hosts FIBA Asia after your first attempt at hosting in the 2010's got rekt by security concerns, THEN you got suspended in 2013.

Comment

Lebanon will host the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup

Comment

I'm searching some games from the archive : Lebanon vs South Korea (semi-final Fiba Asia 2001)
                          Lebanon vs Venezuela (worldcup 2006)
                          Lebanon vs Canada (worldcup 2010)
                          Could somebody help me or send me a link.
                          Thank you a lot.

Comment

The draw for Fiba asia will be held in Lebanon on 30 may.
                            We have 4 teams in the pot 1 following the fiba ranking : Australia, NZ, China and Iran.
                            Lebanon as a host team can choose their group.
                            Last edited by Lebasketball; 05-20-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

So the draw will be held tuesday in "Le Royal" hotel at 11:00 AM (Beirut time).

Stadium hosting Fiba Asia : Nouhad Nawfal

Capacity : +- 6000

Here's a link who shows the stadium : https://sports-961.com/lebanese-bask...ictures-video/

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information