Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Asia Championship 2017

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    41
    Country: Lebanon

    Default Asia Championship 2017

    Australia is strongly consider bidding to host the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup or the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup. There is also the possibly of Australia and New Zealand making a joint bid. As FIBA doesn't have control over the NBA or NCAA college basketball, the Australian players in those two competitions won't be released for the international windows in November and February, but they should still be free for the June and September windows. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...14-giz9iv.html

    I have some questions to ask:
    - 2 teams from Oceania will participate in the next Fiba Asia Cup. Will this tournament remain with 16 teams? I mean if it remains with 16 teams, Fiba Asia should remove 2 spots from a sub-zone. it won't be fair..

    - The rankings will be important for the 2019 World Cup Qualification because only 14 asian teams + 2 teams from Oceania aka Australia and New Zealand will compete (division A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlHjj0S9zIM). So I think it's better to have 24 teams. What do you think?

    - What are the interests for the NT to play this competition which won't give tickets to the world cup or olympic games? but it can help them to have a better ranking…

  2. #2
    Senior Member judasmartel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,932
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamartine View Post
    Australia is strongly consider bidding to host the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup or the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup. There is also the possibly of Australia and New Zealand making a joint bid. As FIBA doesn't have control over the NBA or NCAA college basketball, the Australian players in those two competitions won't be released for the international windows in November and February, but they should still be free for the June and September windows. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...14-giz9iv.html

    I have some questions to ask:
    - 2 teams from Oceania will participate in the next Fiba Asia Cup. Will this tournament remain with 16 teams? I mean if it remains with 16 teams, Fiba Asia should remove 2 spots from a sub-zone. it won't be fair..

    - The rankings will be important for the 2019 World Cup Qualification because only 14 asian teams + 2 teams from Oceania aka Australia and New Zealand will compete (division A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlHjj0S9zIM). So I think it's better to have 24 teams. What do you think?

    - What are the interests for the NT to play this competition which won't give tickets to the world cup or olympic games? but it can help them to have a better ranking…
    Are Australia and New Zealand already included in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup? I thought they will be included in 2021, but I'm not that sure. Please enlighten me.

    As for your questions:

    - Not really. Whether you remove the bottom 2 teams from FIBA Asia 2015 (Singapore and Malaysia) or the 15th & 16th Asian teams in the FIBA World Rankings (Kuwait and Uzbekistan) from Division A, the number of competitive Asian teams remain the same, so it's not really unfair. Division B must prove themselves worthy of being in Division A by earning their slots for the next qualifiers' Division A.

    - As much as I want to support the move to make the Division A qualifiers a 24-team field, I don't see it happening considering how the Asia Zone is not as competitive as say, Europe. As some of our European friends pointed out in the Olympics thread, the reason why Europe has more slots is because it's so damn competitive it's difficult for even the strongest EU teams to make it to the WC or the Olympics. Whereas it's relatively easier, but still difficult, for non-EU teams to enter the world stage, thus they are only given 1 slot each in the Olympics (Americas have 2 because Team USA).

    - The Zone Championships AFTER Olympic years (2017, 2021, etc.) do not have bearing for WC or Olympic qualification, but the ones BEFORE Olympic years (2019, 2023, etc.) do have bearing to Olympic qualification as the Top 2 teams in each zone will join the top 16 WC teams that didn't make it directly to the Olympics in four Olympic Qualifying Tournaments. Should any of the Top 2 teams in each zone are also one of the 16 non-qualified WC teams, the next best teams in each zone will take their spots.

    - For example, let's say the top 8 Asia-Pacific teams after the 2019 WC qualifiers (including hosts China) are Australia, New Zealand, China, Iran, Philippines, Japan, and Lebanon. Let's say Australia comes out as the top Oceania team and China comes out as the top Asian team in the 2019 WC, then they make it to Tokyo 2020. Then let's say Iran is one of the Top 16 non-qualified WC teams and the Top 4 of the 2019 FIBA Asia Champs are Iran, Philippines, Japan, and Lebanon. As hosts of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Japan is already qualified for the Olympics. As Iran is one of the top 16 non-qualified WC teams, Philippines and Lebanon make it to the OQT.
    At last, the New Jedi Order has returned!
    They shall liberate Philippine basketball
    from the clutches of the Evil Empire
    and carry on the dream of reaching the world.

    #PHBasketballUnityNow #ReturnToTheLight #NowIsTheTime
    #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    41
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    Are Australia and New Zealand already included in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup? I thought they will be included in 2021, but I'm not that sure. Please enlighten me.

    As for your questions:

    - Not really. Whether you remove the bottom 2 teams from FIBA Asia 2015 (Singapore and Malaysia) or the 15th & 16th Asian teams in the FIBA World Rankings (Kuwait and Uzbekistan) from Division A, the number of competitive Asian teams remain the same, so it's not really unfair. Division B must prove themselves worthy of being in Division A by earning their slots for the next qualifiers' Division A.
    Fiba Asia officials came to Lebanon to explain the procedure.http://www.arabasket.com/2016/04/11/...w-fiba-system/
    They explained 2 important things:

    - as we know, Australia and New Zealand will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. The best 5 teams of 2017 Fiba Asia Challenge will give an additional slot to their zone.

    - 2017 FIBA Asia Championship will be important because the best 14 teams of this tournament will qualify to the WC Qualification (division A).


    16 countries will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. 2 countries are "already" qualified : Australia and New Zealand. Fiba Asia will choose the host country later. fiba asia challenge will be important to determinate how many slots will have each zone!

  4. #4
    Senior Member judasmartel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,932
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Wait, what? Only 14? I thought they expanded FIBA Asia to 24 teams for 2017. Or is it for 2021?

    Also, so FIBA Asia 2017 will decide which teams will make it to Division A of the Asia WC qualifiers?
    At last, the New Jedi Order has returned!
    They shall liberate Philippine basketball
    from the clutches of the Evil Empire
    and carry on the dream of reaching the world.

    #PHBasketballUnityNow #ReturnToTheLight #NowIsTheTime
    #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    41
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    Wait, what? Only 14? I thought they expanded FIBA Asia to 24 teams for 2017. Or is it for 2021?

    Also, so FIBA Asia 2017 will decide which teams will make it to Division A of the Asia WC qualifiers?

    nothing is clear about the number of teams who will play in Fiba Asia 2017. maybe 16,

    FIBA Asia 2017 will decide which teams will make it to Division A : the first 14 teams of the tournament will qualify to the WC. fiba asia will choose 2 additional teams.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    71
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I think 2 teams will be added Australia and New Zealand.Nobody will be removed from FIBA Asia actual teams.
    Looking for new Basketball Jersey Designs?http://www.pinoyhoops.tk

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Do you have any official News from FIBA confirmed Asia Cup will add AUS and NZ?

    I can't find it

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamartine View Post
    Fiba Asia officials came to Lebanon to explain the procedure.http://www.arabasket.com/2016/04/11/...w-fiba-system/
    They explained 2 important things:

    - as we know, Australia and New Zealand will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. The best 5 teams of 2017 Fiba Asia Challenge will give an additional slot to their zone.

    - 2017 FIBA Asia Championship will be important because the best 14 teams of this tournament will qualify to the WC Qualification (division A).


    16 countries will participate in 2017 Fiba Asia Championship. 2 countries are "already" qualified : Australia and New Zealand. Fiba Asia will choose the host country later. fiba asia challenge will be important to determinate how many slots will have each zone!

  8. #8
    Member zonglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    94
    Country: Christmas Island

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunight View Post
    Do you have any official News from FIBA confirmed Asia Cup will add AUS and NZ?

    I can't find it
    No official news but DJ Xie said that.

    未命名.JPG

  9. #9
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,987

    Default

    2017 FIBA Asia Pacific ( August 2017) proposal
    4 groups with 4 teams
    Group A: Melbourne, Australia
    Group B: Perth, Australia
    Group C: Brisbane Australia
    Group D: Auckland, New Zealand

    Round 2: Group E : Sydney Australia
    Group F: Adelaide Australia
    Semis and finals: Sydney Australia

    What do you think?

  10. #10
    Junior Member FaLebanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    Lebanon to bid for 2017 FIBA Asia Cup

  11. #11
    Senior Member judasmartel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,932
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FaLebanon View Post
    Lebanon to bid for 2017 FIBA Asia Cup
    How is security going over there? Just asking, but I think it's about damn time Lebanon hosts FIBA Asia after your first attempt at hosting in the 2010's got rekt by security concerns, THEN you got suspended in 2013.
    At last, the New Jedi Order has returned!
    They shall liberate Philippine basketball
    from the clutches of the Evil Empire
    and carry on the dream of reaching the world.

    #PHBasketballUnityNow #ReturnToTheLight #NowIsTheTime
    #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

  12. #12
    Junior Member FaLebanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    Lebanon will host the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup

  13. #13
    Member Lebasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    54
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    I'm searching some games from the archive : Lebanon vs South Korea (semi-final Fiba Asia 2001)
    Lebanon vs Venezuela (worldcup 2006)
    Lebanon vs Canada (worldcup 2010)
    Could somebody help me or send me a link.
    Thank you a lot.

  14. #14
    Member Lebasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    54
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    The draw for Fiba asia will be held in Lebanon on 30 may.
    We have 4 teams in the pot 1 following the fiba ranking : Australia, NZ, China and Iran.
    Lebanon as a host team can choose their group.
    Last edited by Lebasketball; 05-20-2017 at 06:34 PM.

  15. #15
    Member Lebasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    54
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    So the draw will be held tuesday in "Le Royal" hotel at 11:00 AM (Beirut time).

    Stadium hosting Fiba Asia : Nouhad Nawfal

    Capacity : +- 6000

    Here's a link who shows the stadium : https://sports-961.com/lebanese-bask...ictures-video/

  16. #16
    Member Lebasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    54
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    Pot 1 : Australia, NZ, China and Iran
    Pot 2 : Philippines, Jordan, S Korea, Chinese Taipei
    Pot 3 : Qatar, Kazakhstan, Japan, India
    Pot 4 : Hong Kong, Irak, Syria and Lebanon

    Lebanon as a host will choose their group that's why they are in the Pot 4.

  17. #17
    Member Lebasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    54
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    Group A : Iran, Jordan, Syria, India
    Group B : China, Philippines, Qatar, Irak
    Group C : NZ, Korea, Lebanon, Kazakhstan
    Group D : Australia, Japan, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong

    Good luck to all teams and welcome to Lebanon !

  18. #18
    Senior Member locdogjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    241
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Taiwan has Australia in this tournament and the qualifiers,
    damn.

    Good luck!
    We The North

  19. #19
    Member Lebasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    54
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    I've read that Yi Jianlin is out of the team ?
    Can anyone confirm ?
    And what about the other nation ?
    Will they send their best line-up ? Iran with Haddadi or without ?
    S Korea ? Philippines ? Etc

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    130
    Country: China

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lebasketball View Post
    I've read that Yi Jianlin is out of the team ?
    Can anyone confirm ?
    And what about the other nation ?
    Will they send their best line-up ? Iran with Haddadi or without ?
    S Korea ? Philippines ? Etc
    Yi Jianlian is not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •