• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Schmidt: The Basketball Legend

Oscar Schmidt: The Basketball Legend

worldbasketball
    03-25-2004, 11:00 PM

A great Brazilian basketball legend.

This is a thread about anything and everything about Oscar.
    worldbasketball
    03-25-2004, 11:04 PM

Here's a picture of two legends: Oscar and Magic
    Guilherme.rcf
    05-17-2004, 12:30 PM

Great player Great man. A brazilian hero.

His son plays high school basketball in florida, and his school won the state championship.
    worldbasketball
    05-17-2004, 07:08 PM

Good for him
    Do you happen to know the son's name and the school he plays for?
    I would be delighted to know.
    Guilherme.rcf
    05-18-2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by worldbasketball
    Good for him
    Do you happen to know the son's name and the school he plays for?
    I would be delighted to know.
    Farragut junior guard Felipe Schmidt is the son of famed Brazilian Olympian Oscar Schmidt. ...

http://www.sunshinenetwork.com/preps...rticle&id=1057

Felipe Schmidt, the son of the legendary 'Oscar', outstood in Florida High School championship. Performing for 15 points, 7 assits and 5 rebounds, Schmidt led his Admiral Farragut Academy to the win in the State championship, and has been named the Florida State Finals MVP

http://www.latinbasket.com/bra/bra.asp?NewsNo=35
    worldbasketball
    05-26-2004, 09:39 PM

That's so nice to hear.
    Hope he becomes as successful as his father
    I know it is a huge task, but you never know
    23_for_life
    07-26-2004, 12:32 AM

Hey, I love Oscar! My favorite player in the world is Michael Jordan, but right after him is the Mao Santa, so it would be great if you keep me informed of what he does....

Too bad, I never got the change to see him play
    Guilherme.rcf
    06-26-2005, 01:19 PM

Telemar/Rio de Janeiro, the team of Oscar Schmidt won the Brazilian league this sunday. 3x1 in the final series against Uberlandia.
    jokinen
    06-27-2005, 02:20 PM

Can you please Guilherme tell us the roster of the Telemar/Rio de Janeiro. they must be quite a good team, since Uberlandia is very good.
    Guilherme.rcf
    06-27-2005, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by jokinen
    Can you please Guilherme tell us the roster of the Telemar/Rio de Janeiro. they must be quite a good team, since Uberlandia is very good.
    Demetrius (starter PG of the NT for year)
    Marcelinho (that one, used to be our starter SG)
    Dedé ( have played for the NT also)
    Aylton ( good pf, played in the NT )
    Sandro (older brother of Anderson Varejao, C of the NT for many years)
    iamah
    09-02-2005, 06:46 AM

Oscar still doing great things for brazilian basketball.
    He is one of the creators of a new league here in Brazil, the NLB - "Nossa Liga de Basquetebol" ("Our Basketball League").
    It's predicted to start in october with 26 teams: Araraquara (Uniara), Casa Branca, CBTeresinense, Franca, Hebraica, Joinville, São José dos Pinhais (Keltek), Limeira, Macaé, Maringá, Ulbra/Mogi das Cruzes, Paulistano, Paysandu, Rio Claro, Rio de Janeiro (Telemar), Rio Preto, Minas, Guarujá, América (RJ), São João da Boa Vista, Barueri, Bauru, Saldanha da Gama, Cetaf, Campos e Corinthians (RS).
    I'm very excited about this, because it seems to be a more comercial and professional championship. I think it'll be very good for the public, players, teams and brazilian basketball.
    Zalgirinis
    09-02-2005, 07:11 AM

Oscar still doing great things for brazilian basketball.
    He is one of the creators of a new league here in Brazil, the NLB - "Nossa Liga de Basquetebol" ("Our Basketball League").
    It's predicted to start in october with 26 teams: Araraquara (Uniara), Casa Branca, CBTeresinense, Franca, Hebraica, Joinville, São José dos Pinhais (Keltek), Limeira, Macaé, Maringá, Ulbra/Mogi das Cruzes, Paulistano, Paysandu, Rio Claro, Rio de Janeiro (Telemar), Rio Preto, Minas, Guarujá, América (RJ), São João da Boa Vista, Barueri, Bauru, Saldanha da Gama, Cetaf, Campos e Corinthians (RS).
    I'm very excited about this, because it seems to be a more comercial and professional championship. I think it'll be very good for the public, players, teams and brazilian basketball.
    Hi iamah, glad to have you here. Is this NLB league a national champ of Brazil? As I imagine Oscar came and reorganised old league to this new, but not having a separate league? Sarunas Marciulionis did the same with Lithuanian league a decade ago and it went to a better level (though not the best). I hope the good for Brazilian league.
    worldbasketball
    09-02-2005, 10:34 AM

I always think that working through the official channels is better. New offshoot leagues depend on the finances of one individual or one business group and don't have lasting power as soon as some financial problems arise.

Will this Oscar-sponsored league be parallel to the official league and separate from it, so that both go on concurrently or is the new one a replacement and the old one is being scrapped?
    Guilherme.rcf
    09-03-2005, 12:41 AM

I always think that working through the official channels is better. New offshoot leagues depend on the finances of one individual or one business group and don't have lasting power as soon as some financial problems arise.

Will this Oscar-sponsored league be parallel to the official league and separate from it, so that both go on concurrently or is the new one a replacement and the old one is being scrapped?
    It seems that we gonna have two leagues. Well, a national championship and a league.
    iamah
    09-03-2005, 09:36 PM

Hi iamah, glad to have you here. Is this NLB league a national champ of Brazil? As I imagine Oscar came and reorganised old league to this new, but not having a separate league? Sarunas Marciulionis did the same with Lithuanian league a decade ago and it went to a better level (though not the best). I hope the good for Brazilian league.
    Hi Zalgirinis, thanks!
    It's like Guilherme said, a new league, in parallel with the official one. Hopefully it's a new breath in brazilian basketball. There're many people unhappy with CBB(official)'s administration, that's why Nene didn't play these recent games for the national team. Hopefully it'll be more aired on opened TV(how do you say... the free ones), because the official it's really sadly covered... except for some paid cable channels like ESPN Brasil. I think it will be great. :dribble:
    mvblair
    11-02-2005, 05:49 AM

I found a NEW OSCAR PHOTO GALLERY (http://www.gazetapress.com/acervo/fotos.php?pg_num=1) that posted some really rare photos, including some older ones from his time from his time at Club Syria!!!

http://www.gazetapress.com/acervo/fotos.php?pg_num=1

Matt
    Last edited by stuart; 05-14-2006, 06:50 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

I remember watching Oscar play a few times for Brazil. Amazing to see, automatic scorer. I think he also earned the name 'the Black Hole' because once he got the ball, no one else would see it again.

Comment

He was really amazing, when he retired it was really sad. Brazil has never recovered from that blow.

Comment

Man, what a player he was!!!!!

I still remember myself crying as a 9 year old kid when Phonola Caserta lost the game with Real Madrid in Athens, one of the best matches I have ever seen. Petrovic was also perfect that night but he had more help from his teammates. I can not believe that he stopped playing just recently....This is what I call a real athlete...

Comment

Originally posted by OSCAR_SCHMIDT
          I can not believe that he stopped playing just recently....This is what I call a real athlete...
          He could barely run, barely jump, almost played no defense, but he could still shoot like no one else, and was still scoring above 30 ppg in Brazilian league.

Comment

Originally posted by alermac
            He could barely run, barely jump, almost played no defense, but he could still shoot like no one else, and was still scoring above 30 ppg in Brazilian league.
            Yeah... it doesn't matter if couldn't run or jump... or play defense... as long as he keeps scoring and thats what its all about Oscar Schmidt the Great

sigpic

Comment

In my opinion, Oscar was won of the best players to ever pick up a ball. I made a little website devoted to Oscar a few years ago.

I still love the man. I've got to update that page sometime.

--Matt
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Excellent job mvblair and it must have taken you much time in order to create the web-site. All of us fans of Oscar The Great should be grateful!

Comment

Yeah I agree... its a good tribute website!!!

sigpic

Comment

Great and extensive article about Óscar published some days ago in acb.com.
                    I'll eventually post a translation later (or Matt )
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Great article! If you don't translate it, I'll start on Monday, Rick. Thanks for posting this. I absolutely love anything about Oscar. I know everybody loves to talk about the best players in the game, but I certainly put Oscar up there. Oscar, Sabonis, Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson....
                      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Óscar underwent surgery in his brain to remove a nodule. News is that he's recovering well and that the nodule is benign.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

Great news that he is ok! My fav player ever! a true inspiration to hoops fans everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                            Great article! If you don't translate it, I'll start on Monday, Rick.
                            Three years later:

Oscar Schmidt: A Big Kid's Passion -- by Juan Francisco Escudero, ACB.com

Oscar Schmidt is one of those players you never forget. A sublime shooter, a basketball predator capable of amassing amazing entries and league top scorer awards everywhere. A historical reference of the Brazil team that brought an unwavering commitment. . A friendly star, a player with great passion for basketball and for the points, their daily work with canarinha either in Italy or in the CBA, where he dazzled in Valladolid and established the current record even triples in a game (11). We are reminded of his genius by author Juan Francisco Escudero.

Oscar Schmidt, a Legend

At the sound of the horn that marked the end of the game, Oscar collapsed on the floor and cried like a baby unable to keep to himself the emotions inherent in a tragic outcome, but not without logic. For Oscar the only thing that was logical was victory, and to make the best effort possible. So, what did it matter that he was against the potent selection of USSR's forward Marcioulonis and center Sabonis, who would become Olympic champion four days later. The only certainty is that after 45 minutes of battle without end, the score 110-105 only meant that the yellow team, despite number 14's best efforts-46 points-would be without a medal as time galloped past him.

The same tears of joy that Oscar shed the year before in Indianapolis now become bitter, disheartening and frozen. The image remains in our retinas: the lasting memory of that historic second half in which Brazil tore apart the U.S. in the 1987 Pan American Games. Oscar created the spotlight with a commanding 46 points. It was the first major success of his generation since the bronze in Manila in 1978. Oscar meant everything to Brazilian basketball. "he is a miracle to match Pele or Fitipaldi Senna," said Juarez Araujo, a Brazilian journalist, "and the cry of the undisputed icon meant sadness or joy overflowing entire nation."

Making Progress

Oscar Daniel Bezerra Schmidt was born on February 16, 1958 in Natal (Rio Grande do Norte), the City of Light. His father was a soldier and his grandfather a German immigrant in Brazil. Against this background, there was a certain logical consistency that would make the future personality of the littlest Schmidt. He was extremely disciplined, coupled with an eminent competitiveness. Until he was 13, Oscar did not touch a basketball, but his height made him a decent player for his small hometown youth club, Vizinhança Unidade. That's where the unstoppable career started that would lead to stardom. Starting from the center position, Oscar improved his shooting thanks to his team's methodic Japanese coach, Laurindo Miura.

When he was 16, he packed his suitcases and went to Sao Paulo Palmeiras, a club with much more national prominance. 1978 is a decisive year for the future the player, which went to the World Championships in the Philippines. But the turning point to which we refer is not in these events, but in adapting to a new role: that of wing shooter. Coach Ary Ventura Vidal convinced him to take the plunge and move away from the hoop. The points started coming from the outside, but Oscar had yet to get the force that unleashed his power: the magic three point line.

Italy

In 1979, Bosna Sarajevo's Mirza Delibasic surprised the European Cup by beating the almighty Emerson Varese. Bringing their status as the European champion, they would face (in the Intercontinental Cup final) the best Brazilian team, Sirio Sao Paulo. In that game, Bogdan Tanjevic, the then coach of Bosna Sarajevo, witnessed the active youth, unknown in Europe, who won the game for Sirio because of his 42 points. Tanjevic immediately recommended the signing of the number 14 Brazilian to Caserte Pallacanestro's manager, Giancarlo Sarti, but it still took a couple of years. Oscar Schmidt would sign with the modest Italian club in the summer of 1982 and would be coached by Tanjevic.

The history of Oscar in Caserta is the story of a king without a crown. With tremendous scoring performances, individual titles, and prodigious effectiveness. In eight years he only managed to bring the team to A1, from A2, one Italian Cup, runner-up in 1986 Korac Cup, and getting the Winners' Cup in 1989 and 1986 and 1987. A relatively tiny background for one of the five best players that never stepped on an NBA court.

The trend continued in Pavia, for three years, from 1990 to 1993. It was worse, if that's even possible, because the local team had less resources to Caserta. This is the stigma that always accompanied Oscar outside of Brazil: not being able to lift their teams to a level of excellence reflected in titles, saving a very few specific occasions. Taking into account the modesty of the clubs he played for, despite having great games at key moments, there was almost always someone better, or an unforeseeable event that prevented a triumph: "In the Athens Cup finals, I was very tired as the game wore on. Drazen was still much hotter than I ever saw anyone play before."

Spain

A question arose at the time: why a player of this greatness never agreed to go to another place of more importance? It's a good question because during his time in Caserta, Oscar was offered various tasty contracts, above all, one from the New Jersey Nets in 1984 and one from Real Madrid in 1986. Both were rejected. In the case of the siren song from America, the reasons are understandable to all appearances, Oscar could not keep defending the yellow jersey because the rules of that time and he was offered far less money than he had in Italy. And as far as Madrid, the leaders of Caserta matched Madrid's offer and Oscar just kept his part of the deal, sealed by a very strong bond with the owner. He could have been naturalized in Italy after 11 years as a resident, but dismissed it because Brazil does not recognize dual nationality, and to renounce his country could never enter into his plans.

In 1993, already 35 years old, Oscar took off for Valladolid with his charisma and illusions of championships. He started from scratch again, learning a new league and a new team. But even from this starting point, he had scrupulous professional ethics in addition to his boundless passion. Oscar was trying to make a living while enjoying the only thing outside his family that he enjoyed. It didn't matter if he played in front of the Dream Team, the Soviet Team, Phillips de Milan, or a team in Italy: "basketball was a vice for me, a drug. I needed it."

After two grueling seasons in Valladolid, with very bright moments alternating with many sorrows. In the last year, commanded by Wayne Brabender, the Brazilian did not understand why the team was changing their style of play. Oscar never thought of jumping ship. He finished his contract left, and returned, left Europe and returned to Brazil to exhaust his last years as a professional.

The Shot

If something is known and remembered about our hero, it is his nearly foolproof shooting mechanics, a consequence of an obsessive Stakhanovite zeal characterized the other great stars in Europe, polished through methodical practice, like Drazen Petrovic and Juan Antonio San Epifanio. We could say without any fear that there was never a long distance shooter as reliable as Oscar Schmidt. With considerable height, 2.05 meters, and a devilishly quick arm made defending him nearly impossible. Even in America, it is hard to find a shooter with Oscar's height and ability, perhaps Larry Bird, Pete Maravich and a very small bunch of established stars.

With maddening neatness and speed, he could run into launch position and in every circumstance imaginable, men trying to block him, men literally stuck to his body, through his known threat of penetration and step back. Hours and hours of training and tireless attitude paid off. He used to always stay together after practice to throw over and over again, punishing himself after a performance he considered not entirely satisfactory. A closer look made him a spectacle. Another famous shooter, José María Margall, told an illuminating story: "for the preparation of the Olympic Games in Seoul, we went to China to play an exhibition tournament. We took a train to a match that was in a disaster of a court with poor, ramshackle baskets and even the balls were not regulatory. The Brazilian team started shoot around and Oscar went to the other side of the court and began to pull triples with the same irregular balls we had. The guy got 50 or 60 in a row without blinking, until at last he got a little bit tired. You should have seen our stupid faces staring at him. There was nobody like him."

What a Character

Those who knew about Oscar call him intimate, friendly, homely and totally professional. He liked to lead an orderly life, away from the noise, and focus only on his family and basketball. At home he had an office devoted entirely to watching games and watching his racing idol Ayrton Senna. He had won little vice: Coca-Cola. He could buy up the stocks of any supermarket.

To illustrate his love for basketball and commitment that he displayed to the people who surrounded him, they say that when his wife went into labor, Oscar took her to a hospital in Naples, and when they confirmed that her son still needed three or four hours to come into the world, he left her there, took the car and went to train with Caserta. He got to practice in time. After all, had a very important game the next day.

An exquisite delight for fans, he never denied anyone an autograph, a smile or a nice gesture. So when Oscar returned to Pavia or Caserta he was treated almost as a god.

The numbers

It seems incredible as a player with his record does not have so overwhelming a collection of titles to match. Despite this apparent contradiction, his achievements speak for themselves. These are historic order:

• 8 times top scorer of the Lega.
                            • Top scorer in the playoffs.
                            • Leading scorer in three different leagues, the Brazilian, Italian and Spanish.
                            • Record for triples in a game ACB, 11.
                            • 285 caps for Brazil.
                            • Olympic record in a game, 55 (against Spain) and in a tournament, 338 (42.2 point average). Seúl 1988. Seoul 1988.
                            • Mark of 66 points in Pavia, 60 in Caserta.
                            • Record for a World Championship, 53 points to Australia in 1990.
                            • Leading scorer in basketball history. In 2001 exceeded 46,727 points Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

In 1995 he returned to Brazil and played for Corinthians, Bandeirantes, Barueri and Flamengo for 8 years. At 45 finally hung up his hi-tops. He met his most visceral fear: discovering what it was like to withdrawal from basketball. A child who never wanted to grow old suddenly realized that his dream could not last forever. The Peter Pan of basketball and grew up.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                              Three years later:
                              Good job Matt
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information