No announcement yet.

2016 4th FIBA U17 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stella Azzurra is not the first program who let a kid with chronic knee pain play, nor will it be the last to do so. Never underestimate the numbers of idiots out there, my dear Utopija! Never.

Comment

Chinese selection that finished 8th at the U18 Albert Schweitzer Tournament was totally made by U16/17 players, led by AST All-Tournament center Rongzhen Zhu, who also earned the "Most talented player" award.

Other concerned teams with 1999-born or younger players at the AST:

Argentina - 2
      Australia - 5
      Egypt - 9
      France - 2
      Turkey - 3

Not included USA (with 4) since in the last years none of the AST players was ever considered by USA-Basketball for their official teams.

Comment

Championship draw:

Comment

Originally posted by carlo View Post
          Championship draw:

Who knows anyhing about South Korea and Dominican Republic ? And I m intrested in others eams like Afeicans , on witch level they are ?

Comment

Originally posted by DelibasicMirza View Post
            Who knows anyhing about South Korea and Dominican Republic ? And I m intrested in others eams like Afeicans , on witch level they are ?
            Not many info are available at this stage, I think. What I know mainly refers to the 2015 U16 teams that qualified for this year's U17 WC.

South Korean boys are the Asian champs after they upset China in sf and beat Chinese Taipei (another surprise) in the title game 78-69 (Korea lost to China in preliminary round, btw).

Dominican Republic was a real surprsise at the 2015 U16 Fiba Americas, beating both Brazil and Puerto Rico and taking the last WC spot at the fourth place. However, DR heavily lost to the American best teams, USA and Canada.Their star was and still should be Sf Alanzo Frink, who has been selected for 2016 Jordan Brand Classic International team roster (game scheduled on April 15).

Concerning the other African teams, champ Egypt and runner-up Mali clearly were the best teams at the African qualifier. Egypt placed two players in the All-Tournament and Abdoulkarim Coulibaly of Mali, also an All-Tourn, finished as overall top scorer. He has been selected for the 2016 JBC International game as well. Egypt participated in the recent U18 Albert Schweitzer tournament with nine U16-17 players and finished last, narrowly losing to Argentina.

Comment

Not many info are available at this stage, I think. What I know mainly refers to the 2015 U16 teams that qualified for this year's U17 WC.

South Korean boys are the Asian champs after they upset China in sf and beat Chinese Taipei (another surprise) in the title game 78-69 (Korea lost to China in preliminary round, btw).

Dominican Republic was a real surprsise at the 2015 U16 Fiba Americas, beating both Brazil and Puerto Rico and taking the last WC spot at the fourth place. However, DR heavily lost to the American best teams, USA and Canada.Their star was and still should be Sf Alanzo Frink, who has been selected for 2016 Jordan Brand Classic International team roster (game scheduled on April 15).

Concerning the other African teams, champ Egypt and runner-up Mali clearly were the best teams at the African qualifier. Egypt placed two players in the All-Tournament and Abdoulkarim Coulibaly of Mali, also an All-Tourn, finished as overall top scorer. He has been selected for the 2016 JBC International game as well. Egypt participated in the recent U18 Albert Schweitzer tournament with nine U16-17 players and finished last, narrowly losing to Argentina.

http://www.basketball-bund.de/ligen-...dings-ast-2016
              Very greatful for info , I know nohing of them , are they close to European level in your opinion , I know it s just 17 years so you really cant know for sure .

Comment

Top players could be close to Euro elite level, but generally these teams lack depth and in some cases size. DR tallest player in 2015 was 2m (Alanzo Frink), same for Korea.
                These teams might generate some surprise but in general are not at the same level of the best Euro countries, that's of course my personal opinion.

International Basketball results and statistics archives. Historical data from FIBA, FIBA Zones and Olympic basketball events since 1930.

Comment

Looking at recent results, U17 China team at the U18 2016 AST though closing with just two victories (Egypt and Greece), had maybe its best game in a narrow loss 78-74 vs Italy, that fielded nearly the true U18 NT there.

Comment

Top players could be close to Euro elite level, but generally these teams lack depth and in some cases size. DR tallest player in 2015 was 2m (Alanzo Frink), same for Korea.
                    These teams might generate some surprise but in general are not at the same level of the best Euro countries, that's of course my personal opinion.

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa...Men/index.html
                    aha useful info so mostly they really on few players and rebound can be problem , but I m surprise zjat South Korea don t have hight. Remember tgis guy from pride, ge reaččy should play Basketball http://www.thetallestman.com/images/...gman%20(4).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DelibasicMirza View Post
                      aha useful info so mostly they really on few players and rebound can be problem , but I m surprise zjat South Korea don t have hight. Remember tgis guy from pride, ge reaččy should play Basketball http://www.thetallestman.com/images/...gman%20(4).jpg
                      But the young Korean players played with all heart against all odds in FIBA Asia U16 last year. They didn't have a deep bench that time but they beat a much taller Chinese team and a really strong and talented Chinese Taipei team on their way to the Asian U16 title.

If the Koreans play with the same kind of heart they did last year, I think they have a chance to beat some of the stronger teams in the tournament. But with their weak bench it's going to be an uphill climb for them.

OT: You know, I'm still salty AF after our U16 team lost to Japan in QF after beating China in the group stage. Our kids didn't have the heart and mentality to focus on their goal after a huge win. When they beat China, they looked like they won the championship. They just went out cold vs Japan.

Still, I'll be rooting for Korea and Chinese Taipei in the U17 Worlds this year.
                      Originally posted by gideon
                      Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

I find it amazing to watch some of those fine Asian teams such as Korea, Philippines, Japan and Chinese Taipei, supplementing their lack of size with speed, heart, outside shooting and individual talent!

Comment

I find it amazing to watch some of those fine Asian teams such as Korea, Philippines, Japan and Chinese Taipei, supplementing their lack of size with speed, heart, outside shooting and individual talent!
                          Because we Asians are smaller, there really is no other way for us but to play with those aspects you mentioned. We're not going to win most of the time inside the paint, so we focus on speed and outside shooting to even keep close.

There is still individual talent but in the end, any NT's success depends on how the individual players best fit their own system. A team of all-stars is nothing without a system that fits them.

And lastly, if we are going to lose against other teams, we're not going to accept them lying down. Whether we're up by single digits or down by 50+ points, we don't give up until the final buzzer sounds. Sadly, however, heart can only take you so far, but man it's awesome when you see teams play it out with all "leave everything behind" kind of heart for all 40 minutes of the game.
                          Originally posted by gideon
                          Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Looking at recent results, U17 China team at the U18 2016 AST though closing with just two victories (Egypt and Greece), had maybe its best game in a narrow loss 78-74 vs Italy, that fielded nearly the true U18 NT there.
                            But China lost over 30 points to France. France taught China a big lesson. I would rather to deduce that Italy did not play well in the first game because they might be too nervous or any other reasons. And Italy did not have tall center( 215+). If Italy played with China again, I deem Italy can beat China easily.
                            Last edited by tallwestman; 04-14-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Teenager game. The height is the most important weapon because Teenager has not grown fully. Their skill, speed, physical condition, attitude and others, are not so good as adult. So height is the best advantage they can use. Just check U18 Europe Champions last year, the first place to 6th place, each team had tall center (211cm-217cm), except Serbia. The last place was Czech Republic, the tallest one in the team was only 206cm.

Comment

Originally posted by tallwestman View Post
                                But China lost over 30 points to France. France taught China a big lesson. I would rather to deduce that Italy did not play well in the first game because they might be too nervous or any other reasons. And Italy did not have tall center( 215+). If Italy played with China again, I deem Italy can beat China easily.
                                In fact, China had some inconsistent results at AST, a big loss to less-than-exceptional France and on the other hand a big win vs Greece, a bit strange result to my view, but I can’t say more about it as I couldn’t watch these games. For sure China had honorable losses to Italy and Turkey. What I mean is, all in all U17 China didn’t perform bad against U18 selections and placed its center Rongzhen Zhu to the All-Tournament team. At U17 WC China is clearly placed in a tough group and is definitely underdog, at best could strive for 3rd place.

Originally posted by tallwestman View Post
                                Teenager game. The height is the most important weapon because Teenager has not grown fully. Their skill, speed, physical condition, attitude and others, are not so good as adult. So height is the best advantage they can use. Just check U18 Europe Champions last year, the first place to 6th place, each team had tall center (211cm-217cm), except Serbia. The last place was Czech Republic, the tallest one in the team was only 206cm.
                                Undersized teams in most cases lose to taller units, agree, what I’m just saying it’s exciting to watch the relentless way of playing some Asia teams show.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information