No announcement yet.

Vilnius Rytas Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rytas grabbed Echodas - the best young Lithuanian player it was possible to sign. Zalgiris kept Masiulis at PF position, but IMO Echodas is a better player, at least i like him more because of his physics and an athletism. Masiulis can make threes though, but Echodas can also play in a center position. In summer in the youth chams Echodas looked much better - i didn't like Masiulis. On the other hand, he played well in those minutes he had in Zalgiris and his father works in Zalgiris system so it was obvious he will stay in Kaunas. It also obvious that there are more space for Echodas in Rytas than for Masiulis in Zalgiris. Masiulis will probably have minutes only in LKL, but Echodas can play in Eurocup as well and that sounds good fot them. Anyway, he has all the possibilities including a right coach. A strong Gudaitis-Echodas lineup can be hot to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
      Did Lithuanians back in the seventies and eighties also get solidly behind the Dynamo Riga hockey team when it was playing Central Red Army or other teams associated with the Soviet establishment? Or did this kind of passive resistance to the Soviets not extend to hockey?

I can only speak from my own experience .
      Zalgiris vs CSKA was apolitical at that time .
      But it was a metaphor for David vs Goliath , if you wish .
      You know , I am glad that in this case sportsmanship remained above politics as it should .
      As far as I know , that passive aggressive resistance mentality was invented by politicians for politicians to use for their needs .
      As for Riga , they have had their success in women basketball where they dominated Soviet and European scene for at least 10 years with Uliena Semionova .
      Anyways as for the ice hockey , nobody gave a flying fuck for this sport at all,let alone Riga .
      Basketball , football, handball and volleyball .
      And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
        Rytas grabbed Echodas - the best young Lithuanian player it was possible to sign. Zalgiris kept Masiulis at PF position, but IMO Echodas is a better player, at least i like him more because of his physics and an athletism. Masiulis can make threes though, but Echodas can also play in a center position. In summer in the youth chams Echodas looked much better - i didn't like Masiulis. On the other hand, he played well in those minutes he had in Zalgiris and his father works in Zalgiris system so it was obvious he will stay in Kaunas. It also obvious that there are more space for Echodas in Rytas than for Masiulis in Zalgiris. Masiulis will probably have minutes only in LKL, but Echodas can play in Eurocup as well and that sounds good fot them. Anyway, he has all the possibilities including a right coach. A strong Gudaitis-Echodas lineup can be hot to watch.
        Thats an obvious choice for Echodas. Eurocup, good team, good coach, more playing time and so on.
        For rytas its also a great 3 year signing. Both sides wins in this situation.
        Zalgiris just dont have space for him atm. They cant just quit on Masiulis, just because Echodas got more featured last year.

Comment

• It's a great signing, almost a steal. After a year he may start climbing over even EL's level power forwards (to be competitive at this level). IMO, he's that good, just still a bit raw. And I have a feeling Rytas will get a pretty nice buy-out for Ehodas in the third year. It's hard to say what kind of player Masiulis will be, but I also like Ehodas much more. BTW, Zalgiris signed Varnas, good move, he's too talented not to try to make something out of him.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
            It's a great signing, almost a steal. After a year he may start climbing over even EL's level power forwards (to be competitive at this level). IMO, he's that good, just still a bit raw. And I have a feeling Rytas will get a pretty nice buy-out for Ehodas in the third year. It's hard to say what kind of player Masiulis will be, but I also like Ehodas much more. BTW, Zalgiris signed Varnas, good move, he's too talented not to try to make something out of him.
            I do not think i quite share your optimism . EL level PF in a few years time ? I wouldn't go that far ,not yet . EL has all those USA born players who are a tad bit stronger physically ,with bigger wing span and probably faster than your normal European Joe .
            We had , in recent years , similar type of players coming through the ranks as in Jogela and Krestinin . You know , good hustlers and rebounders , but without a decent shooting percentage . Apparently , they are only fit for Latvian /Polish bb league standards .
            But on the other hand , i still feel that he might have been useful for Zalgiris in a year or two . So now , Zalgiris 2 is just a farming players for everyone in LKL ,less themselves . I am sure that there might be a better way to get return for their investments back then just letting players go as soon as they reach 20 and they are not solid enough for main Zalgiris team .
            And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
              Zalgiris - CSKA basketball rivalry/games were just plain perfect in everything back in those days. You could barely imagine better script even in movie
              Originally posted by auris1 View Post
              Zalgiris vs CSKA was apolitical at that time.
              What's the status of that rivalry these days? Does a game against CSKA still generate tremendous excitement in Kaunas and sell-out the arena? And what's been Žalgiris record against CSKA in official Euroleague and VTB League games since 2011?

Comment

• Originally posted by auris1 View Post
                I can only speak from my own experience .
                Zalgiris vs CSKA was apolitical at that time .
                No way it was apolitical, just no way I was just a small kid back then, but even I do remember all the atmosphere, all the talks around this game and in country in general. It were times when wind of changes started to blow, Soviet Union was as weak as never, everyone silently dreamed about independent Lithuania. We were too small and too weak, so basketball was only weapon where we could kick Soviet ass and show our identity, not just Soviet, but their beloved Army club.

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                What's the status of that rivalry these days? Does a game against CSKA still generate tremendous excitement in Kaunas and sell-out the arena? And what's been Žalgiris record against CSKA in official Euroleague and VTB League games since 2011?

It still generates more attention than any other game, it still is special. Of course there's no hype like 30 years ago, no such tension, when you couldn't get a ticket or meet a person in streets during the game, but it's historical game, so it attracts lot of people. Our record is bad against them, we are minnows in comparison with CSKA, so maybe now we could say it's David vs Goliath. We won maybe 2 or 3 times combined in EL/VTB, but last game and win in January in Kaunas was just freaking amazing. saras got ejected in 4thqtr, we were trailing ~10pts and made a huge comeback

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                  No way it was apolitical, just no way I was just a small kid back then, but even I do remember all the atmosphere, all the talks around this game and in country in general. It were times when wind of changes started to blow, Soviet Union was as weak as never, everyone silently dreamed about independent Lithuania. We were too small and too weak, so basketball was only weapon where we could kick Soviet ass and show our identity, not just Soviet, but their beloved Army club.

I was there as a pre/early-teenager. In first row sat bunch of militia-men and one very well fed woman in uniform. Every time fans started singing "Ant Kalno Murai" they'd turn to crowd. I don't remember if it had any effect. I think someone was removed from tribune
                  The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Without Deividas Gailius and now Artūras Gudaitis, does Vilnius have any hope at all in either the Eurocup competition or the LKL? Mindaugas Lukauškis and Martynas Echodas seem too old and too young respectively to be adequate replacements. But perhaps Lukauškis will end up stuffing my words back down my throat. We'll see.

Comment

• Well anyway it seems that Gudaitis wanted no part of being turned into a real basketball player by Coach Kurtinaitis in Vilnius.

Comment

Well anyway it seems that Gudaitis wanted no part of being turned into a real basketball player by Coach Kurtinaitis in Vilnius.

Not sure if youre being serious right now.

Comment

• I may be wrong, but somehow I've gotten the impression that Coach Kurtinaitis is a tough taskmaster and that Artūras Gudaitis isn't necessarily the hardest working player.

Comment

I may be wrong, but somehow I've gotten the impression that Coach Kurtinaitis is a tough taskmaster and that Artūras Gudaitis isn't necessarily the hardest working player.

As we know now neither is JV. No wonder they both left LR than Kurtinaitis became coach
                            The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• What's particularly ironic is that I understand that Rimas Kurtinaitis himself was not a hard worker as a player. A hard drinker, yes; a hard worker, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuDux View Post
                                As we know now neither is JV. No wonder they both left LR than Kurtinaitis became coach
                                Yes, thats exactly the reason why JV left rytas.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information