Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: FIBA Americas 2015 (Mexico)

Congrats to Venezuela. I don't think anyone predicted they'd be standing at the top of the podium when it was all said and done. To their credit, they managed to shake off some early training camp issues and peak at the right time. It's no secret that over the last several years Venezuela has poured money into their national program's training budget, sending the team across the globe to train against top flight competition. It looks like all of those preparations finally paid off with a title.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Canada went 16-3 for the summer and routinely beat their opponents by 20plus points. The average age of this team is 23. As we see, with youth and inexperience comes the good and the bad.

I watched every single game they played this summer and the game against Venezuela was horrific to watch. Everyone to the man played about as bad as I saw all summer. It all came together at once. Yet they still had many opportunities to blow the game open. However their self inflicted incompetence, dodgy reffing and tremendous luck by their opponent kept the game close to the final shot. That allowed them to be victimized by the ever present Latin American corruption that permeates these third world countries in every aspect, and most sadly sports. If it is close enough, we all know a call like that it's likely to happen. Regardless it was Canada's implosion that put them in that position - poor coaching by Canada and one of their best players hospitalized by food poisoning didn't help. As I said, everything that could go wrong went wrong. As can happen in a single elimination game.

This is still a very, very good team that I think right now can beat anyone outside of the World's three or so elite countries. And they will get better and better.

European teams should be wary in the the pre Olympic qualifiers. I wouldn't want to be in Canada's pool if I was you.
    I agree with most of what you said. I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest that Canada has more talent now then they've ever had, and with proper cultivation and maturity, this team can easily vault itself into the Top 10 best NTs in the world. Certainly the refereeing can be scrutinized, but that ultimately didn't cost them the game. They just didn't perform well enough to beat a very game Venezuela team that was allowed to play at their pace. There's much to look forward to with this team, and they have as good a shot as anybody to win a qualifying birth next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    I'm all for upsets and cinderella stories but let's be honest here.Canada got robbed big time .You just dont call such a soft foul off the ball at this occasion.If it was a eurobasket game with qualification to Rio on stakes there would be blood.Canadians were very stoic on their reactions all things considered.And yes Canada choked big time and have only themselves to blame for turning what should have been an easy win into a close game but still they didnt deserve to lose on such a call.
    I think you're okay here have the wrong picture of the lack they did to Vargas and lack Gregory was called at the right time, very good arbitral decision, deserved victory in Venezuela

Gregory Vargas foul.JPG

I loved the 2015 tournament! Very happy for Venezuela!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789