Past NT's... What wen't wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 NT to the Beijing ASIAD

composed of the best and experience PBA players in the international competition. Lack of preparation time due to busy PBA schedule as they prepare only for 2 weeks. Lost to china twice, won againts Japan twice in a cardiac game.2nd place finished.

“Hindi ko na inaano ‘yun (mapasama sa pool) eh,” Santos said. “Kung susumahin mo ang buhay naming mga player, ‘san ba talaga ang first priority namin, ‘di ba? Ang first priority ko, dahil dito ko nakuha lahat ng kagandahan ng buhay ko at para sa pamilya ko, ang San Miguel. Alam naman ng lahat ‘yun. Ito ang dapat kong paglingkuran.”

Comment

basketball has evolved. coaches has figured out that a small ball can actually beat a talented taller team.
      our previous national teams tried to play big and had players playing a position they are not comfortable.

today, even the pba coaches has figured out how to maximize the strength of a small ball.
      pba has evolved as well. there is more ball movement, outside shooting and penetration.

todays basketball style has improved our chances of winning.
      I remember someone hated the term"PUSO" so much.
      A few years later, "PUSO" has become Gilas's battle cry.

Now i know where Manu_bol's hate is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
        I thought it would be fun to discuss the past national teams and their shortcomings. Therefore, we can take lessons and then see where we can apply it to our future national teams.
        the rivalry between the two major empire will always be a major problem so i would rather talk about the small things that mattered the most when it comes to our shortcomings...

1. Freethrow shooting.
        I am not a six footer, so I play heavy metal instead...

Comment

What went wrong with the past NTs?
          Lack of unity among pba teams
          Not able to sustain leads
          Missed free throws
          Over reliance on the outside shot (even if it is not falling)
          Inadequate preparation
          The Pba
          Gilas Pilipinas

Dallas Mavericks

UST Growling Tigers

Comment

Let me make my summary:

2007: Crammed. We pushed our players to play within a tight schedule, so it took a massive toll on their health by the time the actual tournament began. The players selected were also too small to take on the likes of Jordan and Iran. While we had a chance to win, the two latter sides were more experienced. Coach Chot was very capable as a coach but he made so many wrong decisions on who should be part of the team. This isn't helped by the fact that we were grouped with China, Iran, and Jordan in the first round and that only the top two would qualify.

2009: Very poor preparations. Coach Yeng is not a bad coach but the team's preparations were atrocious. For example, only a few players would come to practice and not a single training camp was established unlike in 2007 where we went to the US and Serbia. This was evident with our 31-point loss to Jordan in the Jones Cup, our 18-point loss to Qatar, and the like. There was no continuation of the program whatsoever. As with 2007, we disbanded the team and tried to emulate the NCC formula the subsequent years.

2011: We didn't have the right players. Coach Rajko is a very-well respected coach and I can see why. Mentoring a bunch of collegiate players with a naturalized center to go up against the titans of Asia is no easy task. I'm surprised the team even placed 4th in the tournament despite having so many pieces missing from the team. I can't imagine what Toroman can do if he was given the players that he wanted.

2013: The right place at the right time. Everything went to our favor with Lebanon losing the hosting rights and getting the right players for Chot's system. I really wish Marcus was available for the finals; we would have had a better shot at the title. While DDO was great, it lost its effectiveness as soon as tall teams like Iran found a way to neutralize it. I respect coach Chot and his hard work but it's time to move on to someone who can perhaps elevate us to the next level.

2015: ??? (I'm hoping this would be a combination of 2011 and 2013 where we have the right players and the right coach. My number one wish for this team is the initiation of a bigger front court and less of small ball. We cannot survive with small ball; we need to have size and the only way to do it is to train our big men.)
            GILAS WISHLIST:
            6'8 Pingris

Comment

2007 NT - they should have included James Yap instead of RenRen Ritualo.

“Hindi ko na inaano ‘yun (mapasama sa pool) eh,” Santos said. “Kung susumahin mo ang buhay naming mga player, ‘san ba talaga ang first priority namin, ‘di ba? Ang first priority ko, dahil dito ko nakuha lahat ng kagandahan ng buhay ko at para sa pamilya ko, ang San Miguel. Alam naman ng lahat ‘yun. Ito ang dapat kong paglingkuran.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sakamoto View Post
                2007 NT - they should have included James Yap instead of RenRen Ritualo.
                The most difficult decision made by chot that time and it backfired.
                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                  The most difficult decision made by chot that time and it backfired.
                  Agreed

Comment

whoever said we don't need a naturalized player before (Powerade national team 2008) failed miserably.Poor scouting of potential players i think is one of the factors also.There are a lot of what if's in terms of getting players who have foreign lineage.Well a good thing is that Williams and Norwood were products of good scouting abroad,but Imagine if the 1998 centennial team got Taulava,Menk and Danny Seigle (probably in lieu of Feihl,Espino and Cariaso..you could imagine the match up of Aquino against Wang Zhizhi and Taulava against Mengke Bateer,Seigle could have been racking up some points and Menk getting better numbers than Espino or Limpot...this guys could have been potential starters and we could have gone to beat South Korea get the silver in the Asian games at least) long before they had PBA careers? Imagine if we got Clarkson,Holt,Pringle,Tautuaa or Standhardinger to play for the first Gilas squad? Imagine Clarkson,Holt etc. eligible to play for the national team before the Hagop ruling.
                    Last edited by Alex07; 07-21-2015, 11:21 AM.
                    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                      whoever said we don't need a naturalized player before (Powerade national team 2008) failed miserably.Poor scouting of potential players i think is one of the factors also.There are a lot of what if's in terms of getting players who have foreign lineage.Well a good thing is that Williams and Norwood were products of good scouting abroad,but Imagine if the 1998 centennial team got Taulava,Menk and Danny Seigle long before they had PBA careers? Imagine if we got Clarkson,Holt,Pringle,Tautuaa or Standhardinger to play for the first Gilas squad?
                      it'll be a good problem for chot and now Tab.

sigpic

Comment

it'll be a good problem for chot and now Tab.
                        lessons that have not been learned so far...getting NCAA div 1 players to play for the national team has been done by other international teams and we simply ignore this practice.Plus the uber patriotic puritan fans and coaches simply would not welcome that idea of prioritizing unknown Fil-Foreign players over Nelson Asaytono type PBA superstars.
                        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

lessons that have not been learned so far...getting NCAA div 1 players to play for the national team has been done by other international teams and we simply ignore this practice.Plus the uber patriotic puritan fans and coaches simply would not welcome that idea of prioritizing unknown Fil-Foreign players over Nelson Asaytono type PBA superstars.
                          In few years time we'll lose christian david, hepa and edu (IF). Now Kamot ulo sila about jordan clarkson. He's the go to scorer gilas needs besides blatche. No one will guard him in asia. He just schooled some rookie, NBA free agent players in summer League.

Oh well..

sigpic

Comment

no continuity...

Comment

In few years time we'll lose christian david, hepa and edu (IF). Now Kamot ulo sila about jordan clarkson. He's the go to scorer gilas needs besides blatche. No one will guard him in asia. He just schooled some rookie, NBA free agent players in summer League.

Oh well..
                              Hagop has far more better scouting skills than most of our coaches,Just Imagine he knows that we are heavily relying on Fil-foreign players actually its a designed rule for the Philippines and not Qatar.He knows that Qatar can acquire and naturalize kids as young as 16-15 while our naturalization laws requires the person to be 21 years old, afaik.Japan is now actually adopting this kind of strategy and Qatar will eventually will have a team at least 90% composed of naturalized Europeans and Africans.

Comment

Hagop has far more better scouting skills than most of our coaches,Just Imagine he knows that we are heavily relying on Fil-foreign players actually its a designed rule for the Philippines and not Qatar.He knows that Qatar can acquire and naturalize kids as young as 16-15 while our naturalization laws requires the person to be 21 years old, afaik.Japan is now actually adopting this kind of strategy and Qatar will eventually will have a team at least 90% composed of naturalized Europeans and Africans.
                                Oh dear. We no longer fear the giants of Asian basketball. The giants of Asian basketball fear us.

That comes with being the former kings of Asian basketball, so yeah.
                                Originally posted by gideon
                                Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information