No announcement yet.

Taiwan SBL 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dacin vs Pure Youth rematch tonight. Implications with the leaderboards tonight if PY loses to Dacin and Fubon hands Taiwan Beer a lost. Should be an interesting evening.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Taiwan Beer eventually got the win over Fubon with pressure getting into the Warriors. Unlike TB, Fubon has no clutch performer. Joe Lin is too nice and Hsiao Shun-Yee is still not on that level, but the rookie is making strides.

Pure Youth also won through defense. Chou Yi-Hsiang struggled and that was the difference maker.
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Last week, there stories about Tseng Wen-Ting going back to Yulon since Shanghai Sharks are eliminated form CBA playoffs contention. According to a league spokesperson, this will not be feasible given:

A. Tseng's player registration was not received by the SBL for the annual player registration.
        B. No clearance from Shanghai for Tseng to play elsewhere aside from national team participation.
        Sacramento Kings

Comment

Dacin's Chou Yi-Hsiang wins player of the month for January 2016. Avg 20.4 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.6 assists while shooting 40.7 percent... Could be better if not only he stops the ill-advised shot over double teams and when trapped in the baseline.
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

It's another Pure Youth and Taiwan Beer match up tonight, another showcase of defense vs offensive prowess where Pure Youth is raring to avenge its last loss to TB last month. In that match, PY played very sloppy as TB used a surprise shifting zone that allowed them to intercept so many cross passes given a corner or switch trap.

Liu Cheng played with an almost triple double that lifted TB as PY focused on limiting O'Bryant.

Also, Dacin is looking very likely to notch a win over KKL tonight.
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

A chance to tie Pure Youth for the leaderboard and somehow Taiwan Beer managed to let it slip away as they got upset by Taiwan Beer. Beer attempted with a late comeback with Liu Cheng and Lui Kai-Min making baskets but late defensive lapses cost them.
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

2016 38th William Jones Cup 2016: July 23 - August 7, 2016
                Venue: Xinzhuang Stadium

I remember the 10th season of the SBL opening in Xinzhuang back in 2012.
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                  2016 38th William Jones Cup 2016: July 23 - August 7, 2016
                  Venue: Xinzhuang Stadium

I remember the 10th season of the SBL opening in Xinzhuang back in 2012.
                  Nice! Thanks for the update, where do you get this news from?!

Xinzhuang is the best stadium in Taipei for this, the Tienmu University stadium is too far away and has worse acoustics and sight lines. It has been a joy seeing the Taiwanese improve as fans over the past 7 years I have been going. For a while they were very rigid and quiet, now they really let loose and seem to know the nuances of the game more. The younger generation really loves basketball now, it can only bode well for the future of the program in this country. This passion for bball has not passed on to the SBL though, I have never had a person discuss or mention the SBL to me without at least a smirk or a comment about the low level of play. Most players with talent head to China, others would rather have a "Real" job with a brighter future that pays much more than the paltry salaries as well. These two factors really drain a lot of the talent.

A mid July Jones cup is always the best, not sure what teams will be coming though! Since this coincides with the beginning of the Olympics a lot of the usual squads will not be there perhaps, but I guess Philippines, Iran and Japan could be back from their OQT and be willing to participate. Last year it was fun having the Russian and NZ delegations there participating, it added a nice depth and variable to the tournament with different play styles. For years I have been advocating European, African and even the Americas teams to come. I'd also like to see the USA team done away with in its current iteration. Perhaps bring a small D1 university team or a collection of fringe NBA Dleague representatives? The USA team always seems based around 3-5 guys with talent and a bench full of dudes who just don't belong or were simply willing to pay their way to Taiwan to sit on the bench.

Taiwan A/B, Korea, Philippines, Iran, Japan, a middle east team, a smaller European nation and a smaller African nation would be nice as a 9 team lineup.

With the new FIBA qualification system I am excited for meaningful world games to be played here and i am SUPER excited for the first time China comes to play (if they will allow and not force a neutral site!). The senior men's Taiwan national team is most certainly in a rebuilding phase, but some of the young talent looks promising and it'll be nice to see a change of faces. Liu, Jet Chang and Jeff Wu are all promising young players who can start handling things soon. I am unsure about any big men on the horizon though, Norvel Pelle would be a nice naturalized player, he has a bit of Hassan Whiteside to his game.

I guess I'll end this post of random thoughts about Taiwanese basketball here, I have so few people to go in depth with on these topics though!!! A big hurdle in this country is people need to get over the whole, "poor little Taiwan, it is hard for us to compete with the big boys!" mentality. The basketball culture is strong here and with proper development and nurturing from a youth level things could really take off!
                  We The North

Comment

Originally posted by locdogjr View Post
                    Nice! Thanks for the update, where do you get this news from?!

Xinzhuang is the best stadium in Taipei for this, the Tienmu University stadium is too far away and has worse acoustics and sight lines. It has been a joy seeing the Taiwanese improve as fans over the past 7 years I have been going. For a while they were very rigid and quiet, now they really let loose and seem to know the nuances of the game more. The younger generation really loves basketball now, it can only bode well for the future of the program in this country. This passion for bball has not passed on to the SBL though, I have never had a person discuss or mention the SBL to me without at least a smirk or a comment about the low level of play. Most players with talent head to China, others would rather have a "Real" job with a brighter future that pays much more than the paltry salaries as well. These two factors really drain a lot of the talent.

A mid July Jones cup is always the best, not sure what teams will be coming though! Since this coincides with the beginning of the Olympics a lot of the usual squads will not be there perhaps, but I guess Philippines, Iran and Japan could be back from their OQT and be willing to participate. Last year it was fun having the Russian and NZ delegations there participating, it added a nice depth and variable to the tournament with different play styles. For years I have been advocating European, African and even the Americas teams to come. I'd also like to see the USA team done away with in its current iteration. Perhaps bring a small D1 university team or a collection of fringe NBA Dleague representatives? The USA team always seems based around 3-5 guys with talent and a bench full of dudes who just don't belong or were simply willing to pay their way to Taiwan to sit on the bench.

Taiwan A/B, Korea, Philippines, Iran, Japan, a middle east team, a smaller European nation and a smaller African nation would be nice as a 9 team lineup.

With the new FIBA qualification system I am excited for meaningful world games to be played here and i am SUPER excited for the first time China comes to play (if they will allow and not force a neutral site!). The senior men's Taiwan national team is most certainly in a rebuilding phase, but some of the young talent looks promising and it'll be nice to see a change of faces. Liu, Jet Chang and Jeff Wu are all promising young players who can start handling things soon. I am unsure about any big men on the horizon though, Norvel Pelle would be a nice naturalized player, he has a bit of Hassan Whiteside to his game.

I guess I'll end this post of random thoughts about Taiwanese basketball here, I have so few people to go in depth with on these topics though!!! A big hurdle in this country is people need to get over the whole, "poor little Taiwan, it is hard for us to compete with the big boys!" mentality. The basketball culture is strong here and with proper development and nurturing from a youth level things could really take off!
                    I first found it on twitter then YahooTW went and published it as a story. Then it spread around social media so it makes it official, although the CTBA website rarely updates in real time.

Xinzhuang stadium for me is the most viable in terms of commuting as it is near within the railway system, then you have the bus terminals nearby and a lot of accommodations around the area

I'm not sure about which teams will participate but what is certain is ROC A and ROC B.

ROC Blue A - Most likely we'll see Chou Yi-Hsiang, Chou Bo-Hsun, Jiang Yu-An, Hsiao Shun-Yi and Peng Chun-Yen finally make the main team after several years in the B team. I expect to see Jet Chang to suit up.

ROC White B - Most likely members of the Universiade 2016 team will compose the main players such as Kevin Hu, Ray Chen among others as organizers want to get Jeff Wu play and also recruit Joy Burke's brother, TJ Burke to play. The core of Taiwanese prospects in the United States and a couple of redundant SBL bench players will most likely be ROC-B. But this is just to expose the college guys for the 2017 Universiade that Taiwan will host next year.

According to the articles, invitations have been sent to national teams but with the Olympic year and OQT wrapping up in Manila, Turin and Belgrade, I just don't see a full force Philippine NT, Japan NT and Iran NT play here. Japanese and Iranian B teams will be much more feasible. For Korea, maybe they will send in who ever wins the KBL championship this year.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                      I first found it on twitter then YahooTW went and published it as a story. Then it spread around social media so it makes it official, although the CTBA website rarely updates in real time.

Xinzhuang stadium for me is the most viable in terms of commuting as it is near within the railway system, then you have the bus terminals nearby and a lot of accommodations around the area

I'm not sure about which teams will participate but what is certain is ROC A and ROC B.

ROC Blue A - Most likely we'll see Chou Yi-Hsiang, Chou Bo-Hsun, Jiang Yu-An, Hsiao Shun-Yi and Peng Chun-Yen finally make the main team after several years in the B team. I expect to see Jet Chang to suit up.

ROC White B - Most likely members of the Universiade 2016 team will compose the main players such as Kevin Hu, Ray Chen among others as organizers want to get Jeff Wu play and also recruit Joy Burke's brother, TJ Burke to play. The core of Taiwanese prospects in the United States and a couple of redundant SBL bench players will most likely be ROC-B. But this is just to expose the college guys for the 2017 Universiade that Taiwan will host next year.

According to the articles, invitations have been sent to national teams but with the Olympic year and OQT wrapping up in Manila, Turin and Belgrade, I just don't see a full force Philippine NT, Japan NT and Iran NT play here. Japanese and Iranian B teams will be much more feasible. For Korea, maybe they will send in who ever wins the KBL championship this year.
                      Xinzhuang is a better stadium, but Tienmu is much more friendly for the foreign guests. Xinzhuang isn't exactly a happening part of town. I'm very excited to see how the new look squad will do. Locals may be expecting a lot more, not understanding the overturn in the roster.
                      Certainly looking like this will be a bit of a down year for the tournament from a talent perspective. When the KBL teams come they usually do extremely well since they often bring a talented import. Ratliff killed the tournament a few years ago. Perhaps the PBA can do something similar with a team to represent the Philippines.

The Universiade will be an interesting tournament I am sure, I'll be sure to attend but know very little about the competition in general.
                      We The North

Comment

As much as I want to see TPE vs PHI, I doubt the participation of Gilas (Philippines) for this year WJC due to Governor's Cup that will start a week or two after the FIBA OQT.

Comment

Originally posted by locdogjr View Post
                          I hope Otis Hughley be picked as Coach of their NT. I really like his "intensity" literally and his attitude handling ROC B (last FIBA Asia Cup '14). Me too I like Norvel to be their naturalized.

Comment

Good read about Chen Hsin-An.
                            他是陳信安,外文名字叫Sean,綽號:臺灣飛人,畢業於臺北體育學院,身高196公分,屬於臺灣東森羚羊籃球隊後衛,也偶爾打小前鋒,彈跳力非常驚人,扣籃簡直是小菜一...
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

As the playoffs are nearing, good to see Liu Cheng push his effort into rebounding and defense aside from his already established reputation as a scorer. Also, Jiang Yu-Ann is breaking off his slump from late February.
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeQ View Post
                                I hope Otis Hughley be picked as Coach of their NT. I really like his "intensity" literally and his attitude handling ROC B (last FIBA Asia Cup '14). Me too I like Norvel to be their naturalized.
                                Most likely Otis Hughley will return to coach either ROC A or B after his contract expired with the Women's NT last year.
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information