Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taiwan SBL 2015-2016 Season

Is anyone on here actually a fan of the SBL?
    I want to like it, I really do. The quality of basketball is just so subpar. I've gone to a few live games and tried to watch it on TV. Am I missing something?

When I ask Taiwanese people they all just laugh about it like it is a big joke, I really want to see the domestic league improve. Taiwan in general just seems to lack a lot of support for local leagues, although the Jones Cup gets a great turnout and is always a wonderful time.

Is there anyone who posts here who can maybe explain what I'm missing, or just give more details in regards to the SBL?

*My Chinese reading is shit, so I can't really go onto the Taiwanese message boards where these things would be discussed in more detail.

The golden years for me was when during the time when Lin Chih-Chieh, Tseng Wen-Ting and Chen Hsin-An were playing while Yulon and Taiwan Beer were winning. SBL is suffering from the lack of stars as the great ones are earning more money in the CBA. This is what they call the brain drain where the quality of the SBL suffers but stars playing in the CBA helps the national team.

It is a double-edged effect. A lot of teams have become so very reliant on foreign player that teams no longer invest in developing individual skills. Yulon and KKL practices for example have been just inter-scrimmage and the lack of drills to make players improve.

SBL is not perfect but I learned to appreciate its grassroots support. If I could make suggestions, I would offer the following:

1. Teams invest in skills training for the players and team personnel for SBL teams.
    2. The league should look over cases of player contract violations that teams can exploit. Labor issues keep turning away HS and College prospects from going pro, although the lack of opportunities is also a stumbling block.
    3. Improve league wide marketing.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    The golden years for me was when during the time when Lin Chih-Chieh, Tseng Wen-Ting and Chen Hsin-An were playing while Yulon and Taiwan Beer were winning. SBL is suffering from the lack of stars as the great ones are earning more money in the CBA. This is what they call the brain drain where the quality of the SBL suffers but stars playing in the CBA helps the national team.

It is a double-edged effect. A lot of teams have become so very reliant on foreign player that teams no longer invest in developing individual skills. Yulon and KKL practices for example have been just inter-scrimmage and the lack of drills to make players improve.

SBL is not perfect but I learned to appreciate its grassroots support. If I could make suggestions, I would offer the following:

1. Teams invest in skills training for the players and team personnel for SBL teams.
    2. The league should look over cases of player contract violations that teams can exploit. Labor issues keep turning away HS and College prospects from going pro, although the lack of opportunities is also a stumbling block.
    3. Improve league wide marketing.
    As for point 2, most athletes are not encouraged by their families to join the SBL even if they are good enough. The money is poor and it isn't considered a very good job. Something for "thugs" to do.
    The marketing is a joke, it is basically, "Throw it on TV and hope people watch."
    You can't even buy a jersey or a t-shirt at the games!

So many players are going to China if they are able that the point of the league should almost be as a feeder system. THey'll never have the money to compete and the imports are rarely even all that good. THey should just develop talent like Liu from the national team

Quote Originally Posted by locdogjr View Post
    As for point 2, most athletes are not encouraged by their families to join the SBL even if they are good enough. The money is poor and it isn't considered a very good job. Something for "thugs" to do.
    The marketing is a joke, it is basically, "Throw it on TV and hope people watch."
    You can't even buy a jersey or a t-shirt at the games!

So many players are going to China if they are able that the point of the league should almost be as a feeder system. THey'll never have the money to compete and the imports are rarely even all that good. They should just develop talent like Liu from the national team
    SBL is still considered semi-pro as mid-level players also have part time jobs in between games and practices. Given the economic situation in Taiwan, SBL is hard-pressed to expand and there were ideas some years back of allowing foreign owned teams to join the SBL but nothing was decided.

SBL can learn a lot from the marketing of the UBA.
    Sacramento Kings

The economic situation here could 100% hold up a professional league though! If the Philippines can, then Taiwan most definitely can.

I think a lot of people are just tired of getting burned when they find out about match fixing! Almost every league here has had a serious scandal.
    The UBA is successful, also the HS, shame the excitement can't continue on to the professional level.

where is Tungfang Chieh-Teh now?

I think Tungfang Chieh-Teh is still with Yulon, not sure though.
    Sacramento Kings

Joseph Lin Adidas brand ambassador in Taiwan

Sacramento Kings

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Joseph Lin Adidas brand ambassador in Taiwan

Yikes.

This is some serious nepotism at work....

According to the news Quincy Davis is considered retired from the NT while Jordan Vandenberg is Pure Youth's first choice for the foreign player spot.
    Sacramento Kings

Fubon changed their foreign player. Darian Townes is out and will be replaced by former NBA journeyman big, Earl Barron.
    Sacramento Kings

Pretty good start for Joseph Lin in the SBL: Averaging 18.3ppg, scoring 22pts last night to add to a statline consisting of 8rebs and 2asts.
    Sacramento Kings

It seems Yulon will replace Magnum Rolle, who has overwhemingly underperformed. According to news, Yulon will tap once again James Tyler.

Tyler was cut by Yulon similar to this time last season.
    Sacramento Kings

Defense and often pressing up Joseph Lin helped Pure Youth win over Fubon last night. That off-season work of defensive drills showing this early as lessons from last season suggest that Pure Youth won't win it by offense.
    Sacramento Kings

Marcus Douthit was injured by Achilles' tendon.He might rest for one month.

Chang Jung-Hsuan for Taiwan Beer = instant impact. Adds a shooter and a pressure performer.
    Sacramento Kings

KKL has this effect that every team they face seem to be playing way below their caliber. Case was with that frustrating game with Fubon (With an upset) and last night's lost to Yulon where it seems Kyle Baron was the only one really playing as the local players seem disinterested.
    Sacramento Kings

Horrible game for Lu Cheng-Ju against Pure Youth. He was getting the shots from set plays that he normally hits but he was firing blanks for that game. Douglas Creighton drained in forced shots and awkward angle shots and it was unfair. I think Ko Min-Hao for Yulon should get more PT. In this game, Ko was energetic, managing rebounds and a couple of steals.
    Sacramento Kings

Superb effort by Kyle Barone to try and lift KKL but the other players just did not step up. Dacin breaks a bit of game slump with Chou Yi-Hsiang managing to find his rhythm back for this game. His emerging floor vision and less turnover game by keeping the pace in control and reading the defense will only benefit his career and his team.

Chen Kuan-Chuan is left mostly rotting on the bench. He will need PT after his much heralded "part of the future for NT".
    Sacramento Kings

Dacin Tigers slayed 2 Giants (Taiwan Beer and PY). I'm so amazed with their transition and the team is performing really well. Chou Yi-Hsiang is a Beast.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast