Egyptian National Team Roster 2015 - Road To Rio de Ganeiro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leuven lands Omar Samhan

Stella Artois Leuven Bears (Euromillions League) tabbed 28-year old American (has also Egyptian passport) center Omar Samhan (211-122kg-88, college: St.Mary's, CA). He played in the summer at Atleticos de San German in Puerto Rican BSN league. In 35 games he averaged 14.1ppg, 8.7rpg, 2.1apg and 1.5bpg. The last season Samhan played at Townsville Crocodiles in NBL where in 12 games he had 13.4ppg, 8.9rpg, 1.7apg and 1.1bpg.
    Among other achievements his team made it to the German Bundesliga Cup final in 2013. Samhan received also All-WCC Defensive Player of the Year award back in 2010 at his college time.
    Samhan is a very experienced player. And here thanks to pro basketball he experienced life in six different countries playing on five different continents. He is familiar with European, Asian, Australian, African and of course North American leagues. Samhan has played previously professionally in Lithuania (Zalgiris), Philippines (Talk N Text), Poland (Wilki Morskie), Germany (ratiopharm Ulm), Egypt (Sporting) and D-League (Texas Legends).
    He attended Saint Mary's College of California until 2010 and it will be his seventh season in pro basketball.

http://www.afrobasket.com/Egypt/news...ds-Omar-Samhan

Comment

Orenga on a double mission to restore Egypt’s glory days

ALEXANDRIA (FIBA AfroBasket 2017/FIBA U19 World Championship 2017) - Two months after leading Spain to the title of the FIBA U20 European Championship, Juan Antonio Orenga is tackling the challenge of helping Egypt regain its basketball glory of old.

Last week, the former Spanish international began his tenure as head coach of Egypt's senior men and U19 national teams by holding meetings and preparing for one of the biggest challenges in the basketball history of the North African country.

Cairo will host the first-ever FIBA U19 World Championship staged on the African continent next summer, and Orenga's proven track record at the helm of youth teams is expected to improve Egypt's 6-17 record in the history of the competition.

"Our goal over the next few months is to improve the teams technically and tactically. Then we'll go step by step into tournaments and we'll play to win every competition that we participate in," Orenga told FIBA.com while hosting a 25-player U19 training camp in Alexandria.

"Hosting a tournament of the U19 Worlds' magnitude in Africa will be a great experience for everybody - supporters, local players and those from other countries. I am confident it will be a great success for Egyptian basketball."

Asked about his assessment of the players that he has worked with last week, Orenga said they have shown a lot of interest to learn and are picking up his mentality.

"Surely I will try to keep the core of the U17 and U18 teams that played in Spain and Rwanda this summer and try to build a competitive team."

But Orenga's duties won't be limited to the U19 team as the 50-year-old has become the third coach of Egypt's senior men's national team - after Amr Aboul Kheir and Ahmed Marei - in the last three years.

While Aboul Kheir guided the team to a runners-up finish at the FIBA AfroBasket 2013, Marei's Egypt claimed a 5th-Place finish last year.

Can the man whose Spanish team trounced Egypt at the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014, implement his philosophy in the space of a year for the country that last won the continental title back in 1983?

He believes so.

"We had 12 of the best players in the world, and although Egypt played well in the first half, we readjusted in the second half," he recalled of the clash played in Granada two years ago.

"Michael Jordan once said: 'I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.' So, this is my motto. As a team we [Spain] lost to Angola at the 1992 Olympics - I was part of that team -. Two years later we lost against China at the World Cup. From there, we started to climb the mountain and reached the top of the world by winning the World Cup 2006.

"This is the mindset that I hope to implement in Egypt. We have to be patient and work hard to achieve good results. Success doesn’t come overnight."

Orenga's first meaningful competition as head coach of Egypt will take place early next year when the Pharaoh take to the court for FIBA Africa Zone 5 AfroBasket 2017 qualifiers.

FIBA

Comment

Oraby praises Egypt's team chemistry ahead of FIBA AfroBasket 2017

CAIRO (FIBA AfroBasket 2017) - Named MVP of the Arab Championship last month, Egypt's Omar Oraby is aiming high in 2017.

The 2.18m center has played a crucial role helping Egypt beat Morocco in the Arab Championship Final in Cairo.

He took so many lessons from the tournament that he couldn't be more optimistic for Egypt's upcoming international commitments.

First, the North Africans will host the FIBA AfroBasket 2017 Zone 5 qualifiers from 12-18 March in Cairo.

If they secure one of the two places on offer for this year's FIBA AfroBasket Final Round in Brazzaville - as Oraby believes they will - Egypt's new golden generation will have a second chance of making some noise in Africa's biggest basketball stage.

Then, later this year, Oraby's Egypt will become the second African country - after Tunisia held the FIBA U19 World Championship for Women 2005 - to host a major FIBA Basketball tournament, the U19 World Championship.

"Hopefully, we'll have a great year," the 25-year-old former University of Southern California standout said to FIBA.com.

Discussing his Arab Championship 2017 award, Oraby added: “It was a great personal achievement but I wouldn’t have won it without the support of my teammates. The award was a huge step in my career, and hopefully this season I can continue doing great things.

“I feel that my game has developed further. I feel a lot more confident, especially because of the coaches I have been working with. And hopefully, I can keep up and help my national team."

Ten national teams from FIBA Africa Zone 5 - including Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Sudan, Ethiopia and Egypt - are expected in Cairo next month.

In his first appearance at the helm of Egypt, former Spain coach Juan Orenga led the North Africans to the Arab Championship title

Egypt, a team experiencing a transitional process with the arrival of head coach Juan Orenga, emerge as frontrunners in the qualifier, and Oraby explains why.

“The biggest victory really was the way how coach Orenga brought the team together," Oraby said of Egypt's Arab Championship success.

"He has emphasised the team chemistry above anything else. It was great to see how players who had little playing time were cheering on each other. My first impression of coach Orenga is that he is a great motivator.

“We didn’t have much time to prepare for the tournament but mentally the team was at its very best. Hopefully, we can keep this attitude. This is a big step for our national team.

“It was tough playing against Morocco in Final. They have an experienced team that has been playing together for many years. We were down 19 points early in the game but we managed to fight back. It was a great team win."

Egypt will begin their FIBA AfroBasket preparations on Saturday.

“We hope to keep the momentum and stay as strong during the qualifiers. Obviously, the goal is to win the qualifier. I know there will be some good national teams coming to Cairo looking to cause a surprise but I believe we can qualify for the AfroBasket.

"We’ll play at home and it would be great to see fans cheering for us," the Gezira center pointed out.

“The AfroBasket is a tough competition. If we qualify, the objective will be the improvement of the team.

One of Egypt's revelations during the FIBA U19 World Championship 2009 in New Zealand, Oraby can't wait for this summer when the best 16 U19 national teams descend to Cairo.

“It’s a huge opportunity for Egypt to show the world that we can organise a tournament of this dimension, especially because the Middle-East has a bad reputation in some circles. I believe Egypt will prove doubters wrong," Oraby noted.

“This is a great tournament, and it will be a major success."

FIBA

Comment

Abdel Nader Agrees To Deal With Red Claws

Abdel Nader has committed to signing a contract in the D-League with the Maine Red Claws.

Nader received significant offers in Europe as well.

Nader played for the Celtics in Summer League after he was the 58th overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft out of Iowa State.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...13426638749696

Comment

Abdel Nader Named D-League Player Of The Week

Abdel Nader of the Maine Red Claws was named NBA Development League Performer of the Week for games played Monday, Jan. 16, through Sunday, Jan. 22.

Nader (6-8, Iowa State) led Maine to a 2-0 week, averaging 26.0 points (eighth in the league) on 48.6 percent shooting to go with 6.5 assists, 5.5 rebounds and 1.0 steal. He connected of 7-of-14 attempts from three-point range and was named to NBADLeague.com’s 2017 All-Showcase First Team. On Jan. 19, he scored 29 points and connected on 6-of-10 three-point attempts in a 122-117 win over the Canton Charge. On Jan. 21, he recorded 23 points, six rebounds and six assists in a 112-107 victory over the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

Nader is averaging 22.4 points on 48.6 percent shooting and 6.0 rebounds on the season. He was born in Alexandria, Egypt and was selected by the Boston Celtics with the 58th overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft presented by State Farm.
            Other top performers considered included Austin’s Cory Jefferson, Canton’s Quinn Cook, Delaware’s Devondrick Walker, Erie’s Gabe York, Grand Rapids’ Jordan Crawford, Iowa’s JaKarr Sampson, Los Angeles’ Josh Magette, Maine’s Jalen Jones, Northern Arizona’s Johnny O’Bryant, Oklahoma City’s Dakari Johnson, Raptors 905’s Edy Tavares, Santa Cruz’s Dennis Clifford, Sioux Falls’ Patrick Miller, Texas’ CJ Williams, Westchester’s Courtney Fells and Windy City’s Will Bynum.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...er-Of-The-Week

Comment

The Egyptian National Team roster for the 2015 Road to Rio de Janeiro was a talented group of athletes who showcased their dedication and skill on the world stage. With their determination and teamwork, they made their nation proud as they pursued their Olympic dreams
              Scarlett
              Caption

Their journey was filled with challenges and triumphs, and they left an indelible mark on the history of Egyptian sports. It was a memorable chapter in Egypt's sporting history that will be cherished for years to come.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information