Fil-am NBA player Jordan Clarkson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fil-am NBA player Jordan Clarkson

As the one and only player of Philippine decent in the NBA and 1st since the 1970's 40 year ago. I think Jordan deserves his own thread. This player could end up being an instrumental piece of our National team (Gilas)

Here is the 1st post of hopefully many : http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv...ss-to-warriors

Hopefully not as long as Japeth's saga thread however
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Much of making the NBA is about timing and opportunities, in a sense you couldn't have asked for a better set-up than the depleted Lakers drafting Clarkson. I'm not sure if he was drafted by anyone else if he would have gotten an opportunity. Note Jordan's Missouri team mate and fellow guard Brown hasn't landed an NBA contract.

I think Jordan's skill set as a combo guard with decent defense and quarterbacking skills has served him well. According to reports, the Lakers are investing in him to develop his quarter backing skills to play as a back-up point guard.

One encouraging thing about Jordan is his apparent strong work ethic. His outside shot i think is vastly improved from where it was prior to the draft. (he's 100 % from the FT 16 out of 16 in his last 2 games)

At first like many 2nd round picks my projection was he would be in and out of the league and would never get pass his rookie contract. Now I'm beginning to think other wise this guy could have a decent NBA career.
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

For old showtime Laker fans, you would remember Byron Scott's shooting form, now tell me if it doesn't remind you of Clarkson's form? I'm beginning to think Byron a former shooting guard sees something in Clarkson and is one reason he's getting the opportunity.

Comment

Comment

good passing skills. it is unfortunate that the game lacks a certain high level of competition AS COMPARED to the NBA. am expecting all players in the D-League to be almost NBA ready, therefore the games are played at a higher level.. almost near to that of the NBA. all I see hear is a CBA (USA) style of play.

As to Clarkson, definitely he had shown that he belongs to the NBA.

Comment

Lakers: Jordan Clarkson Needs Time, Ronnie Price Doesn't

by Jacob Rude 12h ago

When Ronnie Price was brought in for training camp, it seemed more like the idea of having an extra training camp body than a player with a viable chance at competing for significant playing time.

22 games into the season and Price is the Lakers starting point guard, and he’s doing a horrible job at it.

Since being named starter three games ago, Price is shooting 15.4% from the field, 11.1% from the three-point line, averaging 3.7 assists, and has an atrocious 71 offensive rating. His true shooting percentage, which takes into account free throws and the added benefit of a three-point shot, is a blistering 19.2% in that three-game stretch.

His defense, which was the reason he was brought in the starting line-up, has been deplorable. Pelicans point guard Jrue Holiday finished with 22 points and 8 assists while Kings point guard Darren Collison finished with 26 points and 6 assists. Last night, the Spurs’ Cory Joseph, who saw the majority of the point guard minutes with Tony Parker nursing an injury, finished with 16 points and and 5 assists, nearly double his averages in both categories.

So if he can’t stop a nose bleed and his offense is non-existent, what’s the point of keeping him in the game?

And it’s not a rough stretch for him offensively. Over the last 15 games, he’s shooting 29.3% from the field and 25.9% from three-point land. He’s averaging just 3.3 assists and has an offensive rating of 86 and a defensive rating of 114.

Are you getting the sense of his limited ability? Sorry but your “leadership” talk won’t work here. He may be a veteran, but he’s completely ineffective on the court. The bigger problem lies on Byron Scott‘s refusal to supplant him from the rotation, specifically with the youngster Jordan Clarkson.

In his albeit limited playing time, Clarkson has showed promise. Over the only stretch of games where he had consistent playing time in mid-November, the rookie averaged 8.7 points on 50% shooting in 18 minutes over three games. Scott rewarded the youngster by playing him just three times over the last 13 games.

During that 13-game stretch, Clarkson appeared with the LA D-Fenders, the Lakers D-League affiliate. In his first two appearances, he looked great, scoring 28 points in the first game and 19 points in the second. However, his most recent outing last Saturday, he looked rusty, going 4 of 11 from the field with 8 points and 5 turnovers.

At this point, Clarkson needs consistent playing time. The only way for him to develop is with consistent playing times and growing pains. Considering the Lakers are starting Price, they are clearly capable of dealing with limitations. Clarkson is a better shooter, better at getting into the lane, and certainly has played as well defensively as Price has in recent games.

It’s time to make the move, Scott. Out with the old, in with the new.
            https://www.facebook.com/pinoybaskebol/?fref=ts

http://pinoybasketbol.com/

Comment

It's fun to see two fil-ams go head to head and guard each other. Jordan Clarkson is eating Michael Williams alive. D-fenders vs Skyforce.

Comment

Clarkson said in an interview that he'll be visiting the Philippines "in the summer" which is around June to August in North America. I wonder if we can convince him to take the naturalized player slot for our SEAG team in July. I have a feeling the Singapore SEAG Organizing Committee will approve this because having a bonafide NBA talent will boost attendance at the basketball games.

Comment

^^
                  Nice at the very least we should ask him to workout with the team (with Marcus etc)

Comment

This is the guy who should be getting a lot of minutes since this lakers season is pretty much over. But byron scott's too worried about saving his own ass, and he's notoriously known for not playing rookies.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lakers4sho View Post
                      This is the guy who should be getting a lot of minutes since this lakers season is pretty much over. But byron scott's too worried about saving his own ass, and he's notoriously known for not playing rookies.
                      He'd rather give minutes to a 31 year old journeyman ronnie price. Tsk tsk....

But i still believe he has a better chance of cracking the rotation in LA rather than in Washington. If and when bryant decides it is not worth it, i hope scott realizes the lakers are better off developing young guys like clarkson and davis rather than try and squeeze a win playing mediocre players like price and wellington.
                      Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                        He'd rather give minutes to a 31 year old journeyman ronnie price. Tsk tsk....

But i still believe he has a better chance of cracking the rotation in LA rather than in Washington. If and when bryant decides it is not worth it, i hope scott realizes the lakers are better off developing young guys like clarkson and davis rather than try and squeeze a win playing mediocre players like price and wellington.
                        lakers will probably ship off clarkson and davis as part of an attempt to snag a big name. The Lakers really don't have too many assets that other teams would want.
                        sigpic

Comment

Jordan Clarkson, Tarik Black record double-doubles in D-Fender's loss

By Eric Pincus

Lakers rookies Jordan Clarkson and Tarik Black both had double-doubles while on assignment with the D-Fenders (5-14) on Saturday night, but the team lost, 174-169, to the Reno Bighorns (8-7).

Clarkson led the D-Fenders with 35 points, shooting 16 of 23 from the field, and 11 assists.

Black, who was claimed by the Lakers off waivers from the Houston Rockets last week, had 23 points and 12 rebounds.

The Bighorns fell one point short of tying the NBA Development League's all-time scoring record, set by the D-Fenders in late December at 175.

The D-Fenders scored 98 points in the first half alone in the losing effort.

Brady Heslip led the Bighorns with 35 points. Formerly with the Denver Nuggets, Quincy Miller scored 15 and Jordan Hamilton finished with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

The Lakers have three affiliate players with the D-Fenders who all went through training camp but were cut before the Lakers set their roster for opening night. Roscoe Smith had 32 points and 15 rebounds for his 14th double-double of the season. Jabari Brown scored 26 while Keith Appling finished with 12 points and seven assists.

Vander Blue contributed 31 points and 10 assists for the D-Fenders.

Both Clarkson and Black were recalled by the Lakers (10-23) after the game and are expected to be in uniform on Sunday night when team hosts the Indiana Pacers (13-21).

Manny Harris, who played 20 days with the Lakers last season, recently left the D-Fenders to play overseas in Turkey. Harris was the D-League's fourth-leading scorer at 25.7 points a game.

The team has since added forward-center Jarvis Varnado, who was acquired in a trade with the Iowa Energy for first- and second-round picks in the D-League draft. Varnado was the 41st overall pick by the Miami Heat in the 2010 NBA draft and also played a stretch with the Boston Celtics.

Comment

Father's diagnosis affected Jordan Clarkson on the court

By Mike Bresnahan

With his father's health improving, the Lakers' Jordan Clarkson is getting back into it

Jordan Clarkson didn't get off the bench in the Lakers' latest game, as if that was even close to a travesty.

His real edification on the unpredictability of life came last year, after the best game of his college career at Missouri.

He had just blitzed Kentucky for 28 points — Kentucky! — and earned an immediate sit-down with his dad and stepmom, who were in town. They came with a purpose, it turned out, leaving their San Antonio home for a few life-changing days in Missouri.

It had nothing to do with Clarkson's pro basketball future, where some personnel experts pegged him as a first-round pick after the Kentucky performance.

It had everything to do with his father being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in his lower back. A tumor had wrapped itself around his spine and was spreading upward, getting close to his lungs.

Clarkson was crestfallen. How could he not be?

His father, Mike, was everything to him. Even looked exactly like him, albeit at 51 years old.

"He was my best friend growing up," Clarkson said. "He shaped me into what I am today."

While his father began treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, Clarkson's game faded. He didn't score 28 points again and never approached the same 11-for-17 accuracy he showed that early February night.

The drop-off was stunning, if not understandable. Before knowing of his father's disease, he averaged 18.9 points and shot 48%. From there, he dropped to 15.4 points and 39%.

Clarkson, 21 at the time, started tumbling toward the second round of the NBA draft, where there were no guaranteed contracts.

"I try not to blame outside stuff for what's happening on the court. But at the time, there was just a lot of stuff going on," Clarkson said. "Basketball is not only played physically with skills and stuff. You have to be there all mentally, and I feel like toward the second half of that season, I really wasn't. I feel like that's why my play slipped like that."

He couldn't stop thinking about his father. And his stepmother, Janie, and teenage brother, Bear, and what would become of them.

He started to envision himself as the family provider, placing even more pressure on his basketball skills. He scored only seven points against Tennessee. Only 11 points against Florida as Missouri got eliminated in its conference tournament. And only 13 points in what became his final college game, a loss to Southern Mississippi in the National Invitation Tournament. He missed nine of 13 shots.

"If anything ever happened, I had to take the lead in the family," he said.

He was drafted by the Lakers three months later, the franchise liking him enough to buy its way into the second round. The Lakers didn't have a pick there because of the Steve Nash trade but gave $1.8 million to the Washington Wizards for the 46th overall selection.

The Lakers liked what they saw of the 6-foot-5 junior at the NBA scouting combine — and in those earlier games in Missouri's season.

"To get a guy like that at 46, we're pleased," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said at the time.

Clarkson was a hit at the team's summer league, racking up points in free-flowing games that rarely have tough defense.

His adjustment to the actual NBA has been less fluid, the transition from shoot-first point guard to passer taking time.

Sometimes he is too fast on the court, trying to blow past defenders without thinking of his next move. He is averaging 4.3 points and 0.7 assists in 16 games for the Lakers (10-23).

Coach Byron Scott has said he needs to work on his ball-handling, but the Lakers like his aggressiveness.

The first year of his contract was guaranteed for $507,336. The Lakers hold an $845,059 option on him next season.
                            Of greater importance, well beyond basketball and financial gain, Clarkson's father has stabilized, even improved.

Mike Clarkson was spending most of his days in a wheelchair after doctors severed three nerves near his spine to ensure removal of the cancer over a series of procedures.

He recently started using a walker to get around, otherwise known as significant medical progress. His cancer has diminished greatly, and there are only a handful of satellite cells that doctors are observing.

"I'm not supposed to be walking, but I'm up with a walker," said Mike Clarkson, who works in the Air Force. "Regardless of what doctors say, God doesn't work with statistics."

Looking back, it ate at father to see son struggling the last two months of a college career.

"I knew he wasn't as focused. That kind of bothered me because I know Jordan worked hard to get to that point," Mike Clarkson said. "If he had continued to play like he was playing, he would have been first-round, no doubt."

The Lakers play another game Sunday against Indiana. Clarkson will be the third-string point guard behind Ronnie Price and Jeremy Lin. His concentration has returned to the court, but his father is never far away.

"It's a blessing he's still here. We got really lucky," Clarkson said. "If it had touched his lungs, it could have gotten real severe.

"It was a tough year for my family. It shows us that we can really get through anything."

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information