X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Ticket View Post
    Who you have in mind? danny seigle?
    Sadly not at the moment.I think this should be a position priority since guards and frontline seems to be not a problem much in personnel.But a permanent 2 SF that are 6'6 or taller is gonna be a problem,but oh Jay Washington at 6'7 has a good inside perimeter shooting and athletic enough to drive from the outside.Another one who can shoot inside and outside the perimeter would be great and make Gabe Norwood a SG/SF he will bring size on the SG position for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
      I really think Matt Wright is indeed eligible for FIBA Asia, Matt got his RP passport at the age of 17, however at that age he played in a main official competition of FIBA ( U18 FiBA Asia 2008 )

From FIBA eligibility handbook (dated 2010)
      "A player who has played in a main official competition of FIBA (e.g U18 FiBA Asia) after having reached his
      seventeenth (17) birthday may not play for a national team of another country"

If the rules as stipulate based on his participation if U18 FIBa Asia - from the eligibility handbook state he is no longer eligible to play for any other country aside from the Philippines, if follows he has to be eligible for the Philippines. it's only logical

It would be insane to prohibit him from playing for the Philippines, if by the rules he can't play anywhere else !
      Good call. Now the trick is to get him to play for us again. Didn't his Batang Gilas stint leave a bad taste in his mouth?

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
        Sadly not at the moment.I think this should be a position priority since guards and frontline seems to be not a problem much in personnel.But a permanent 2 SF that are 6'6 or taller is gonna be a problem,but oh Jay Washington at 6'7 has a good inside perimeter shooting and athletic enough to drive from the outside.Another one who can shoot inside and outside the perimeter would be great and make Gabe Norwood a SG/SF he will bring size on the SG position for sure.
        The best tall SF we have now is Norwood at 6'5, he's not much of an offensive threat though. Washingtons game is really down. If we are looking for a 6'7 guy with a slim frame but is deadshot from 3 you have either Aldrech Ramos or Canaleta. Personally I'd like to add Troy Rosario there. He is being used more as a 4 right now but I think if exposed early to international competition he can be a taller more athletic version of RDO.

Comment

• The SF slot will be kobe paras' for the taking. For the meantime, we have to make do with norwood, and i hope the powers that be give abueva a chance to prove himself and back norwood up.
          Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Terrence Romeo just need too improve his defense, strength, and PG skills then he can be our national team PG.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
              The SF slot will be kobe paras' for the taking. For the meantime, we have to make do with norwood, and i hope the powers that be give abueva a chance to prove himself and back norwood up.
              If Kobe Paras wants to do well at the US college level I think he has to learn to play as an SG. He looks 6'6 with shoes not 6'7. His 3 pt shooting is already amazing and finishing at the rim seems good. But his handles still need a lot of work and he needs to develop a pull-up jumper off the dribble to be an SG. He's got the work ethic and the opportunity to be the best locally raised Pinoy wing/guard. But he still has a lot to improve to get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                If Kobe Paras wants to do well at the US college level I think he has to learn to play as an SG. He looks 6'6 with shoes not 6'7. His 3 pt shooting is already amazing and finishing at the rim seems good. But his handles still need a lot of work and he needs to develop a pull-up jumper off the dribble to be an SG. He's got the work ethic and the opportunity to be the best locally raised Pinoy wing/guard. But he still has a lot to improve to get there.
                i wish he play for another school, division 1(take note ucla)is so stacked with talents. He will likely be a role player or come off the bench as the 3rd scorer. I rather see him play for a div 2 school or junior college as a main scorer. The national team needs a scorer with size, on that note i wish to see gilas hire a skill coach to train the likes of rosario and ganuelas and hopefully become the next bahrami.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                  Wow! You can distinguish a one inch difference by looking at pictures?

Comment

• Originally posted by paulezra View Post
                    i wish he play for another school, division 1(take note ucla)is so stacked with talents. He will likely be a role player or come off the bench as the 3rd scorer. I rather see him play for a div 2 school or junior college as a main scorer. The national team needs a scorer with size, on that note i wish to see gilas hire a skill coach to train the likes of rosario and ganuelas and hopefully become the next bahrami.
                    Here's what a program like UCLA has what a lot of other schools don't: Player development.

Sure, Kobe Paras can be a star right away if he had committed to a smaller D-I school or a JuCo, but that will come at the cost of stunting his growth as a player. At UCLA, playing in the tough Pac-12 conference, Kobe will be going against McDonald's All-Americans, ESPN100 players, four- and five-star recruits.

I remember a little-known high school guard who was not getting looks from any high-major programs until UCLA coach Ben Howland sent him an offer. He signed an LOI, played very little as a freshman averaging just a shade under four points a game, then flourished as a sophomore, scoring 12 points a game and playing a vital role in the Bruins' Final Four run in 2008, holding off WKU and Courtney Lee along the way.

Right now, that little-known future Bruin has averaged 20.1 points for the OKC Thunder -- and he's not done yet.

That's the kind of ceiling we're looking at when we think of Paras.
                    Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• ^^
                      Agree, with college basketball in the US it's more important to enter a good program rather than get minutes especially as a freshman, it's different from college ball in the Philippines where PT is really important. one huge difference is in the Philippines the best talents maximize there tenure (5 years) ala Keifer. in the US the best talents are one and done types. So if Kobe is worth any salt , he should be getting decent minutes at least in his 3rd year. when all his co peers same high school year class, have left for the NBA. Here is another thing "practice" exposure by playing in a recognize programme he will be getting the reps day in day out with future NBA players in practice. He won't get that daily in a small college. Don't worry about PT in games, he will get that if he plays in his 3rd and 4th year.
                      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• ^^
                        Oh speaking of a skills coach... Gilas actually has someone in mind already, just waiting for go signal.. (an NBA trainer)
                        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

^^
                          Agree, with college basketball in the US it's more important to enter a good program rather than get minutes especially as a freshman, it's different from college ball in the Philippines where PT is really important. one huge difference is in the Philippines the best talents maximize there tenure (5 years) ala Keifer. in the US the best talents are one and done types. So if Kobe is worth any salt , he should be getting decent minutes at least in his 3rd year. when all his co peers same high school year class, have left for the NBA. Here is another thing "practice" exposure by playing in a recognize programme he will be getting the reps day in day out with future NBA players in practice. He won't get that daily in a small college. Don't worry about PT in games, he will get that if he plays in his 3rd and 4th year.
                          Sorry pre but im not a fan of practice exposure over actual playing time even if the standard of competition is lower. There are a lot of factors involve in game situations that is absent in a controlled environment. Playing time in actual games breed confidence. Confidence will make a player better physically and mentally. Yes, as you said....bottom line is ..may laro ba talaga si Kobe? What is his mindset if he spends more time on the bench than playing? Does it shatters his ego? Last thing we want is another japeth aguilar scenario.

Comment

Sorry pre but im not a fan of practice exposure over actual playing time even if the standard of competition is lower. There are a lot of factors involve in game situations that is absent in a controlled environment. Playing time in actual games breed confidence. Confidence will make a player better physically and mentally. Yes, as you said....bottom line is ..may laro ba talaga si Kobe? What is his mindset if he spends more time on the bench than playing? Does it shatters his ego? Last thing we want is another japeth aguilar scenario.

As a practice player you mimic the other teams offense and defense,the coaches is gonna make sure you play as hard if not harder.Its important to the coach that his starters has to find a way to score,defend and adjust against their next opponent.In American football you see a lot of injuries in practice but the coach don't care,reason if you cant get past the hard hitting practice players then you gonna play bad against the real thing.Kobe will get his minutes as a true freshman,remember UCLA is a public school so the trustees and boosters who funds the scholarships wants to see some of the poor recruits from the South,or Midwest USA to succeed not just the rich kid with talent from another country.

Comment

Japeth is another thing. The guy spent the majority of his college career sidelined because of freak ACL tears. These are things beyond the control of any coach. Plus, as much as it's painful to admit, he was not really a good fit for WKU. He had two future NBA veterans in his team, both of which had very high usage rates. And he didn't have the inside-outside game that Kobe has at this stage.
                              Keep running, big boy.

Comment

^^
                                Oh speaking of a skills coach... Gilas actually has someone in mind already, just waiting for go signal.. (an NBA trainer)
                                Is he someone who was previously associated with NCC or SMC? I have two names at the top of my head right now.
                                Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information