This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ctongco View Post
    The SBP can use Gilas' success to attract sponsors and launch a good grassroots program. They use that as leverage in synchronizing our basketball calendar with FIBA.
    When SBP was founded out of the ashes of BAP, I remember one of their goals was to make our Women's NT competitive and to level-up to the the top tier division in Asia with China, Korea, Japan etc..which means beating Malaysia and Thailand consistently. Guess what, we're still trying to beat Malaysia and Thailand on a consistent basis, and is nowhere near the goal set some 5-6 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
      When SBP was founded out of the ashes of BAP, I remember one of their goals was to make our Women's NT competitive and to level-up to the the top tier division in Asia with China, Korea, Japan etc..which means beating Malaysia and Thailand consistently. Guess what, we're still trying to beat Malaysia and Thailand on a consistent basis, and is nowhere near the goal set some 5-6 years ago.
      with no sponsors..
      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• SBP should educate and develop coaches first especially those from the province.
        Darling it's better
        Down where it's wetter
        Take it from me.

- Sebastian, The Little Mermaid

Comment

• Originally posted by bluenote49 View Post
          This all comes down to money $$$ or the lack of it. While the Gilas 1 approach does make logical sense from a purely “basketball development” standpoint , it does not from a sponsor’s financial return on investment view. MVP basically spent millions on development only to see his rivals benefiting with the end outcome ( Greg, Japeth, Marcio, lutz, Barrocca, Casio) the list is endless. While Gilas II approach is not necessary beneficial for “development” for a sponsor like “Smart” it makes better financial sense. Less money invested and better “brand recognition”

On provinces, again from a development perspective & giving back i see some benefit, on a ROI financially i really don't see the business case why someone would spend the money.
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
            This all comes down to money $$$ or the lack of it. While the Gilas 1 approach does make logical sense from a purely “basketball development” standpoint , it does not from a sponsor’s financial return on investment view. MVP basically spent millions on development only to see his rivals benefiting with the end outcome ( Greg, Japeth, Marcio, lutz, Barrocca, Casio) the list is endless. While Gilas II approach is not necessary beneficial for “development” for a sponsor like “Smart” it makes better financial sense. Less money invested and better “brand recognition”

On provinces, again from a development perspective & giving back i see some benefit, on a ROI financially i really don't see the business case why someone would spend the money.
            Isnt Gilas 1 called Smart Gilas?....but when the PBA players came, they had to remove "Smart" from Gilas and that is why Gilas 2 is just called Gilas.

Comment

• No one said that it would be easy..But if we learn to close out games then we might get a medal in any color next year..

And btw it would be impossible for us to host 2019 world cup due to limited logistical issues (8 arenas should be played instead of 6 maybe even more with 8 prelim groups in tow)
              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
                Isnt Gilas 1 called Smart Gilas?....but when the PBA players came, they had to remove "Smart" from Gilas and that is why Gilas 2 is just called Gilas.
                Smart Gilas is the the only national team in the planet that bares a commercial product in its official name. MVP commercialized the national team and thats very wrong. Sure Argentina is sponsored by Visa but you dont call Argentina as "Visa Argentina" and Spain sponsored by San Miguel but you dont call Spain as "Spain San Miguel" only Smart has the guts to hijack the national team official name! wrong move by MVP right there. Im one of those person who is against the idea and im very passionate in AKTV comment section trying to convince MVP management and the fans that its not a very good idea to hijack the national teams name. The discussion became too personal i was called by some posters as "talangka" the they ban me... LOL but i least at the end of the day MVP did dropped the brand smart. :-)

ps. Im not insinuating im the reason why MVP dropped smart brand from the national team's name (thats far from reality) what im saying that im one of the minority during that time who is very much agaisnt it.
                Last edited by joshmaldito; 10-21-2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joshmaldito View Post
                  Smart Gilas is the the only national team in the planet that bares a commercial product in its official name. MVP commercialized the national team and thats very wrong. Sure Argentina is sponsored by Visa but you dont call Argentina as "Visa Argentina" and Spain sponsored by San Miguel but you dont call Spain as "Spain San Miguel" only Smart has the guts to hijack the national team official name! wrong move by MVP right there. Im one of those person who is against the idea and im very passionate in AKTV comment section trying to convince MVP management and the fans that its not a very good idea to hijack the national teams name. The discussion became too personal i was called by some posters as "talangka" the they ban me... LOL but i least at the end of the day MVP did dropped the brand smart. :-)

ps. Im not insinuating im the reason why MVP dropped smart brand from the national team's name (thats far from reality) what im saying that im one of the minority during that time who is very much agaisnt it.
                  This is true. If you are a real fan of the national team just call them Pilipinas in your facebook posts, social media, etc. Our league is commercialized; even college ball to an extent so it's no surprise to see our NT go that route as well.
                  If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• the team is already called Gilas Pilipines and not Smart.. that was not a good move before in Gilas 1 and good thing they learned and dropped Smart and just call it Gilas..

Gilas Pilpinas is ok with me.. in FIFA sometimes Netherlands is more known as Oranje than its own country name.. Gilas is Pilipinas nickname..

so presently, it is a non issue anymore.. funny Smart Gilas Pilipinas is brought up again..

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                      No one said that it would be easy..But if we learn to close out games then we might get a medal in any color next year..

And btw it would be impossible for us to host 2019 world cup due to limited logistical issues (8 arenas should be played instead of 6 maybe even more with 8 prelim groups in tow)
                      8 arenas is not needed for the World cup.. in fact in FIBA guidebooks only 4 arenas are required, with additional arenas allowed if the host country wants to.. Brazil was criticized highly when they provided 12 stadiums when it was unnecessary to have those number of stadiums.. because majority of brazilians are poor (like us), this was really a big issue because of the expense..

and the plan is not to have consecutive games.. the plan is to have every other games for teams since there would be 8 groups of 4 countries... so ideally, groups will be in 1 venue.. day 1 would be for group A then day 2 would be for group B.. then so on and so forth.. so basically, 8 venues is not ideal, EVEN WITH FIBA..

the logistics committee of SBP led by Butch Antonio has already been briefed and had a seminar on the requirements and how the hosting should be like, and by all accounts it is very much doable, and as of now, it is said the Pilipinas are the front runners, with Brazil in close.. it is expected that China would formally throw their name and that would be our huge competitor for the hosting..

so for me here is what i think is best:

Group Stages
                      Araneta Coliseum
                      NEW Philsports Arena
                      SM Cebu Arena
                      Puerto Princesa Coliseum

Round of 16/Quarterfinals
                      MOA Arena
                      Philippine Arena

Semis/Finals
                      Philippine Arena

that is 6 venues, enough for the tournament.
                      Last edited by zuma169; 10-21-2014, 02:24 AM.

Comment

The commercial benefits of bankrolling a National team don't only come in the team name, who do you think get's all the tune-up game sponsorhips, television game right etc, who gets Gilas , brand association recognition?
                        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                          the team is already called Gilas Pilipines and not Smart.. that was not a good move before in Gilas 1 and good thing they learned and dropped Smart and just call it Gilas..

Gilas Pilpinas is ok with me.. in FIFA sometimes Netherlands is more known as Oranje than its own country name.. Gilas is Pilipinas nickname..

so presently, it is a non issue anymore.. funny Smart Gilas Pilipinas is brought up again..
                          I think if the national team is composed of amateurs, the team can be called using the sponsor's name...like Northern Cement during Caidic, Calma and Samboy's time....so that the sponsor can benefit by funding the team..... Of course, during official competitions, they should be called Philipines with the sponsors logo if it is permitted by the organizers..

Comment

the team is already called Gilas Pilipines and not Smart.. that was not a good move before in Gilas 1 and good thing they learned and dropped Smart and just call it Gilas..

Yeah Gilas Pilipinas is fine....just like US dream team...as long as theres no commercial brand attached to our national team's name.

Comment

I think if the national team is composed of amateurs, the team can be called using the sponsor's name...like Northern Cement during Caidic, Calma and Samboy's time....so that the sponsor can benefit by funding the team..... Of course, during official competitions, they should be called Philipines with the sponsors logo if it is permitted by the organizers..
                              for me nope.. whether it is amateur or not, it is the national team.. call them by the nickname, but not as representative of the company sponsor.. because you are not working for the sponsor, you are working for the country..

the Smart Gilas Pilpinas is tricky because technically they are under the payroll of SMART.. see that is the cons of such a structure.. SMART has the right to call them whatever because they pay salaries to the likes of JV Casio, Chris Tiu, Mac Baracael, etc..

unlike sponsors where they just give out "donation" type of money for the team.. and not salaries..

Comment

for me nope.. whether it is amateur or not, it is the national team.. call them by the nickname, but not as representative of the company sponsor.. because you are not working for the sponsor, you are working for the country..

the Smart Gilas Pilpinas is tricky because technically they are under the payroll of SMART.. see that is the cons of such a structure.. SMART has the right to call them whatever because they pay salaries to the likes of JV Casio, Chris Tiu, Mac Baracael, etc..

unlike sponsors where they just give out "donation" type of money for the team.. and not salaries..
                                But the thing is that they are being funded and sponsored by a private company...in a way, the national team, like any other national asset, is being privatised because the government cannot afford to fund and manage them.....so even if they are playing for the country, and any award is for the country.... the private company should have the right to include their name except in official competition......

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information