This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. II

First assignment for Gilas is against a relatively rising superpower india ..

Expect gilas to fire on all cylinders with douhit in tow..

Argh the whole group plays at 7 AM my time. Will try to get up, but damn. It's interesting that in India's group, Kazahstan won with big numbers against Saudi Arabia, lost to India with big numbers and Saudi Arabia won against India with +6.

Comment

Originally posted by Milos.Djuric View Post
      Argh the whole group plays at 7 AM my time. Will try to get up, but damn. It's interesting that in India's group, Kazahstan won with big numbers against Saudi Arabia, lost to India with big numbers and Saudi Arabia won against India with +6.
      Kazakhs tanked the last game against India. Quoting an article about the match, "Strangely enough, Team Captain Rustam Yargaliev didn’t see action, while star forward Dmitriy Gavrilov played just 8 minutes off the bench."

As a result of being number 2, Kazakhs get grouped with China and Taiwan; whereas India gets Philippines and Iran. You only need to win a game to advance. Beating China and Iran would probably be out of the question for them. So it's either Taiwan or the Philippines, for them. You have to take into account that Taiwan is going Davis-less in this tourney because of the residency requirements (same rule that hit Blatche) whereas we were lucky to be able to reinclude Douthit back in the lineup after Blatche was ruled to be ineligible, and we also handily beat them last year in the Fiba Asia too. Kazakhs just picked their best path of advancing to the quarterfinals and that is to try and upset a Davis-less Taiwan team.
      Last edited by mrjumbo03; 09-22-2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milos.Djuric View Post
        They clearly tanked because Chinese Taipei is more beatable without their naturalized player.

As for India, the keys are to limit their perimeter shots and win the battle of the boards. Assuming we won't suffer opening day jitters, we should win by at least 15.
        GILAS WISHLIST:
        6'8 Pingris

Comment

i expect 39 minutes for Junemar.

-manu_bol

Seriously, i hope the new guys-- Dillinger mainly and Gary David () have a good start so that they'd be comfortable moving forward.

Would be disappointed if;
          we play Douthit more than 20 minutes
          or the old guys (Pingris, RDO) more than 20 minutes

We need them fresh vs. Iran.
          If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Yep, his gonna make JF play heavy minutes. Seriously

As for the other bench guy JA I think his gonna get heavy minutes also. I think

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
            i expect 39 minutes for Junemar.

-manu_bol

Seriously, i hope the new guys-- Dillinger mainly and Gary David () have a good start so that they'd be comfortable moving forward.

Would be disappointed if;
            we play Douthit more than 20 minutes
            or the old guys (Pingris, RDO) more than 20 minutes

We need them fresh vs. Iran.

Comment

is dillinger ready by this time to show what he can really do and not those traveling and bonehead plays he has shown from wuhan to the gilas preparation for the worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by eric_gordon View Post
                is dillinger ready by this time to show what he can really do and not those traveling and bonehead plays he has shown from wuhan to the gilas preparation for the worlds.
                In Basketball its not how many boneheaded plays you do its the timing where and when you can contribute to the team.. Dillinger can be a great help to the team in Spain why he can throw a TO or two or even three but he is taller than our wings (Chan) bigger than Paul Lee a field goal or two can be a difference for us between a potential secound round appearance for our team in Spain..
                To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

I hope that 12 players would play significant pt in games against india and Iran.. because come qf...
                  To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                  1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
                    In Basketball its not how many boneheaded plays you do its the timing where and when you can contribute to the team.. Dillinger can be a great help to the team in Spain why he can throw a TO or two or even three but he is taller than our wings (Chan) bigger than Paul Lee a field goal or two can be a difference for us between a potential secound round appearance for our team in Spain..
                    It only takes one bonehead play to lose the game though... to go with a monopoly of silly/lazy fouls he commits in every game, it is wise for Gilas to exercise extreme caution when fielding JD in a game or face consequences way too bitter to take.

Comment

Originally posted by eric_gordon View Post
                      Yeah, the knock basically on Dillinger. It's not FIBA rules too, he's innately turnover prone (see: PBA) but i guess you can unlearn those stuff. Hopefully he has a future with the NT, this is his real tryout.
                      If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

The PHI vs IND game is set at 1400 on September 23, 2014 (Incheon Time). Its gonna be 1300 Manila Time and 2200 (9/22/14) on PDT. Anyone has links to live coverage of the game? TIA.

Comment

Philippines v. India (Asian Games 2014)

Philippines v. India in a bit!

With five players standing at least 6-10 on the Indian Side, can our legendary small ball keep up?

Comment

Originally posted by art00 View Post
                            The PHI vs IND game is set at 1400 on September 23, 2014 (Incheon Time). Its gonna be 1300 Manila Time and 2200 (9/22/14) on PDT. Anyone has links to live coverage of the game? TIA.

It will be shown live on TV5. So you can watch the tv5 stream if you're in the philippines.

Comment

Originally posted by migrainedoe View Post
                              Philippines v. India in a bit!

With five players standing at least 6-10 on the Indian Side, can our legendary small ball keep up?
                              We already have the PH vs India thread. We can discuss there.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information