Group C: China, Chinese Taipei
    Group D: Korea, Jordan
    Group E: Iran, Philippines
    Group F: Japan, Qatar
    Someone already created a thread for asian games
    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Sorry my bad , dont have the merge/delete option.

Comment

Blatche can play in Asian Games

Blatche can play in Asian Games

By Eddie Alinea
        PhilBoxing.com
        Thu, 21 Aug 2014

An athlete’s eligibility is determined by the International Federation his or her sports association is affiliated with. This, former Philippine Olympic Committee president Celso Dayrit and former Asian Basketball Confederation (now FIBA-Asia) secretary general Mauricio “Moying” Martelino assured yesterday by way of reacting to reports that naturalized basketball player Andray Blatche stands to be barred playing for the Philippine team in the coming Asian Games.

“Yeah, that’s what it should be,” Dayrit, current president of the Fencing Federation of Asia, said during yesterday’s phone patch interview with the “Tropang BisTag radio program aired over DZEC.

“While the Asian Games is being organized by the Olympic Council of Asia, all athletes in all sports seeing action in the quadrennial meet must have the blessing by their IFs to be eligible to compete.”

“What OCA only needs is proof of an athletes’ nationality which can easily be proven by the passport he’s holding,” Dayrit said. “E naman na may passport na hawak-hawak si Blatche.”

Martelino, now a Samahang Basketbol Ng Pilipinas consultant, concurred with Dayrit’s pronouncement, saying it is the IF, in Blatche’s case, the FIBA-Asia that will be running the basketball tournament in the Asiad and, therefore, it is FIBA’S eligibility rule that must be followed.

Both Dayrit, a long-time lecturer of the International Olympic Committee Solidarity program, and Martelino argued that since FIBA international has endorsed the eligibility of the 6-foot-10 mainstay of the Brooklyn Nets to play in the coming World Cup of Basketball set in Spain later this month, it follows that he is also qualified to play in the Asian Games.

“We have in our hands documents purporting to show Blatche as a member of our national team to the World Cup, which we believe is enough proof of his citizenship,” Martelino said.

Martelino, nevertheless, told his interviewers that the SBP, headed by businessman-sportsman Manny V. Pangilinan, owner of the Talk “N Text and Meralco teams in the professional league PBA, has written the OCA through the Philippine Olympic Committee seeking clarification on the matter.

“We have to do it through proper channel. The POC is the body recognized here by the IOC so, it’s but proper that we course our request for clarification to that entity,” Martelino pointed out.

Reports that came out in several newspapers (not the People’s Journal/People’s Tonight) that Blatche, who had just been granted Filipino citizen chip a few months ago by Philippine Congress could be barred from seeing action due to OCA’s three-year residency rule.

Dayrit though clarified that the OCA three-year residency rule APPLIES to an athlete who had carried the colors of a country not his birthplace as a naturalized citizen in the IOC-sanctioned games and, again, applied for citizenship of another country to see action in another IOC-recognized meet.

“And since Blatche, an American, will be representing the Philippines as a naturalized player for the first time, I don’t see any reason why he can’t compete,” Dayrit said. “Now, if after representing the Philippines in the coming Asian Games, Blatche applied for naturalization in another country to represent that country, say in the 2016 Olympic Games, that’s the time he is barred.”

Dayrit said what probably led for media outfits to speculate on Blatche case was when the South Korean Basketball Federation withdrew the naturalization of long-time Korean Basketball League import Aaron Hayes.

link: http://philboxing.com/news/story-98211.html

Comment

So it's a go for Dray Blatche in the upcoming asian games.

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2014/...s-sbp-ties-nba
          Barrios cements SBP ties with NBA
          By Joaquin Henson

MANILA, Philippines - SBP executive director Sonny Barrios said yesterday his recent meeting with key NBA executives in New York City to discuss “federation matters” re-established close ties between the country’s governing body and the world’s No. 1 professional basketball league.

Barrios conferred with NBA senior vice president/deputy general counsel Daniel Rube and NBA vice president/assistant general counsel Michelle Leftwich in a 45-minute visit on the 15th floor of the NBA head office on Fifth Avenue in New York City. He was accompanied by SBP legal consultant Edgar (Aga) Francisco and retired UN senior economist Leonides (Amang) Buencamino.

A priority in Barrios’ agenda was to cement relations between the SBP and NBA. The other matter that Barrios took up with the NBA lawyers was in relation to Andray Blatche playing for the Philippines at the FIBA World Cup in Spain and the Asian Games in Incheon. “Because we engaged Andray to play for our national team, Boss MVP (SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan) wanted to make sure we were compliant with whatever the NBA required from a country recruiting an NBA player,” said Barrios. “The NBA executives were pleasantly surprised to find out the relationship between the Philippines and the NBA goes back to the days of PBA commissioner Rudy Salud. I spoke about meeting former NBA commissioner David Stern in the past and of course, Mr. Stern’s visit to Manila during the preseason game between Houston and Indiana last year. Mr. Stern and MVP met during that visit. Our main goal was to re-establish ties and open communication lines officially and professionally.”

Barrios was briefed by the NBA lawyers on issues of engaging an NBA player for a FIBA competition. “In Andray’s case, we had deposited $7,550 in premium payment of his insurance coverage based on his last contract with the Brooklyn Nets,” said Barrios. “We made the deposit with the BWD Group which is the NBA’s insurance advisor. Since Andray is currently a free agent, we’re not required to cover for his insurance. But we decided to keep the money with the BWD Group anyway as Andray is expected to sign a contract with an NBA team soon.”

Barrios said it was explained that there are two types of insurance coverage for an NBA player to be engaged for a FIBA tournament. “We were told that under an agreement between FIBA and the NBA, NBA players may be allowed to participate in FIBA competitions except for three reasons – one, the player declines to participate as in the case of Kevin Durant this year, two, he is injured and three, there is no insurance coverage,” he said. “The two types of coverage are one, insurance against a player’s existing NBA contract and two, insurance against exclusions in his NBA contract. It’s possible that in an NBA contract, the insurance coverage excludes injuries that happened in the past and could recur. In Andray’s case with Gilas, the insurance coverage will kick in once he signs a new NBA contract.”

Blatche opted to become a free agent last June and is in the process of negotiating a new NBA contract. The 6-11 center is in no hurry to sign because he’s guaranteed to bankroll $8.47 million in 2014-15 even without playing a game. Blatche was inked to a five-year $35 million deal by the Washington Wizards in 2010 then was cut as an amnesty case in 2012. Whatever Blatche earns from any NBA team less than what he is guaranteed by Washington from 2012-13 up to 2014-15 is credited to the Wizards.

Barrios asked the NBA lawyers if there was a need to add payment in Blatche’s standby coverage. “I was told they would get back to me on that and sure enough, they did and I was informed no need, that we could just wait until Andray signs a new NBA contract,” he said. “I thought it was a positive sign that they responded right away to our inquiry.”

Barrios said he extended warm regards in the SBP’s behalf to NBA commissioner Adam Silver through Rube and Leftwich. Silver came to Manila in 1997 with broadcaster Ahmad Rashad and NBA executive Heidi Ueberroth and personally witnessed the Filipino’s passion for basketball.

As for Blatche’s eligibility for the Asian Games, Barrios said there is no impediment. “I don’t know where this debate is coming from,” he said. “It’s calling attention to the Asian Games organizers. The SBP is comfortable with our position that Andray is eligible. I took up the issue with FIBA secretary-general Patrick Baumann during the FIBA Asia Congress in Doha recently and he told me it is the International Federation, or FIBA in this case, that has authority on eligibility matters. I don’t think the Olympic Council of Asia will make an eligibility ruling on a player without consulting FIBA.”

Barrios said the provision for a three-year residency applies to an athlete who will play for a country after previously representing another country. “In certain International Federations, it is allowed for an athlete to play for another country after a sit-out period but in FIBA, that’s not allowed because under FIBA rules, a player can only play for one country in his lifetime,” said Barrios. “So the three-year residency has no application in FIBA. If you study the Asian Games eligibility provision, you must look at it within the context of the other provisions, not in isolation.”

Barrios said FIBA’s approval of Blatche to play in the coming World Cup legitimizes his presence in the Gilas lineup. “If Andray is allowed to represent the Philippines in the World Cup, how can he not be allowed to represent the Philippines in the Asian Games?” added Barrios. “It doesn’t follow. The Olympic Council of Asia won’t clash with an International Federation.”

Comment

Case closed. Blatche can and allowed to play in Asian Games.

sigpic

Comment

Lets clear this one up.

Olympic Council of Asia, which is running the Asian games, only prohibits naturalized players that were naturalized 3 years ago that had previously represented another country. This residency rule does not apply to Andray because he never represented any other country prior to being naturalized by the Philippines earlier this year. Therefore, Andray is eligible. With or without FIBA side of things, Andray is eligible by OCA rules(and FIBA rules). I wonder why they are mentioning the FIBA eligibility because it will not be needed anymore. It will just appear rude to OCA and Asians are known to be sensitive with this kind of things.

please correct me if I am wrong.
              Darling it's better
              Down where it's wetter
              Take it from me.

- Sebastian, The Little Mermaid

Comment

from the articles posted, players who played for other countries previously need to pass the 3 year residency rule first before they will be allowed to play by the OCA.

in the case of blatche, since he has not represented the US or any other country before, he only has to pass the eligibility for the international federation (IF) responsible which is FIBA and since he is already cleared for FIBA world cup in our line up, then there is no problem

Comment

next week will be busy with World Cup duties..

will there be any kind of tune-up games prior to the Asian Games? most probably our stint with the World Cup would end around september 6 and go home September 7 or 8.. that is around 10 to 11 days prior to the Asian Games.. I would assume that chot would give at most 2 days rest for the boys before they plunge into practice again..

1 or 2 games here in Manila wouldn't hurt i think.. we could have a PBA all stars to compete against the National Team just to have a practice game.. and probably invite Jordan or Japan National or Chinese Taipei National Team for a 1 game friendly before flying to Inhceon..

Comment

Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                    next week will be busy with World Cup duties..

will there be any kind of tune-up games prior to the Asian Games? most probably our stint with the World Cup would end around september 6 and go home September 7 or 8.. that is around 10 to 11 days prior to the Asian Games.. I would assume that chot would give at most 2 days rest for the boys before they plunge into practice again..

1 or 2 games here in Manila wouldn't hurt i think.. we could have a PBA all stars to compete against the National Team just to have a practice game.. and probably invite Jordan or Japan National or Chinese Taipei National Team for a 1 game friendly before flying to Inhceon..
                    they need rest more than anything after the worlds. if they'll have some tuneup, pba selection and east asian teams would suffice. we have enough games against tall teams already that would help us vs iran, jordan, and d likes. we need to play again vs small teams with a lot of shooters and love zone defense.

Comment

Originally posted by neo View Post
                      they need rest more than anything after the worlds. if they'll have some tuneup, pba selection and east asian teams would suffice. we have enough games against tall teams already that would help us vs iran, jordan, and d likes. we need to play again vs small teams with a lot of shooters and love zone defense.
                      that's why for me, 2 days rest with family once they return from Spain is ideal.. then have at most 2 tune-up games, just to maintain rhythm, 1 against a PBA selection (with Alas, Lanete, Ganuelas, Slaughter - basically the young guns - somewhat like the US select team).. and the other against either Chinese Taipei or Japan.. but leaning towards Japan since they are not a threat, Taipei is a threat, to avoid scouting..

yes you are right, we need to focus on fast, small and sweet shooting teams again...

Comment

Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                        that's why for me, 2 days rest with family once they return from Spain is ideal.. then have at most 2 tune-up games, just to maintain rhythm, 1 against a PBA selection (with Alas, Lanete, Ganuelas, Slaughter - basically the young guns - somewhat like the US select team).. and the other against either Chinese Taipei or Japan.. but leaning towards Japan since they are not a threat, Taipei is a threat, to avoid scouting..

yes you are right, we need to focus on fast, small and sweet shooting teams again...
                        Rest with family.. yaah, their wives are good conditioning partners for them as well. before the players will plunge to war in Incheon.

Comment

I think they'll probably face club teams from spain or whoever wants to face gilas from world cup eliminated teams.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                            I think they'll probably face club teams from spain or whoever wants to face gilas from world cup eliminated teams.
                            tune up ulit sa dom.republic masaya ehehe
                            trans.
                            lg sakers is here on that time facing ginebra in a special game why not asked them to tune up with gilas. i think they had 2imports in their roster.

Comment

Originally posted by joemarksforty View Post
                              tune up ulit sa dom.republic masaya ehehe
                              trans.
                              lg sakers is here on that time facing ginebra in a special game why not asked them to tune up with gilas. i think they had 2imports in their roster.
                              Gilas tune-up with DR is really good. very physical game.

Comment

From snowbadua's twitter account:

NEWSFLASH: Olympic Council of Asia denies inclusion of ANDRAY BLATCHE to the ASIAN GAMES bound GILAS PILIPINAS team.

From CKR's twitter:

Olympic Council of Asia also denied Quincy Davis of Taiwan for the Asian Games. Ouch for Chinese Taipei.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information