Where is Portugal teams ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Portugal teams ?

Is there any Portuguese basketball fans in this forum ?
    I'd like to make a question.

I always had this query. Why Portugal has not good basketball teams ?
    Portugal is a fine Mediterranean country as Italy & Greece is. In football they have great teams and they have won several European trophies. Porto Benfica are very competitive teams.

I remember in 1988-1992 a fine basketball Portuguese team which was very competitive to ARIS and PAOK. (I can't recall its name though)
    I also remember a crazy Portuguese point guard by that time, who used to shoot for threes from a great distance! (What was his name?)

Portugal has manage to create a great football league. How come they didn't make it in basketball as well ?

I mean that Portuguese shares the same Mediterranean temperament as Italians and Greeks have. They are good in sports. But the absence of basketball makes me wonder.
    Last edited by Panathinaikos; 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM.
    EUROLEAGUE CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

may it be ovarense? as far as i remember, they had participated in either suproleague or first modern euroleague.

Comment

More interesting for me, where is rikhardur?...

Comment

Originally posted by Panathinaikos View Post
        Is there any Portuguese basketball fans in this forum ?
        I'd like to make a question.

I remember in 1988-1992 a fine basketball Portuguese team which was very competitive to ARIS and PAOK. (I can't recall its name though)
        I also remember a crazy Portuguese point guard by that time, who used to shoot for threes from a great distance! (What was his name?)
        I guess the PG you are talking about is Carlos Lisboa.

I remember back then, i was shocked to see a player takes 7-8 3's in 1 game (today it's not a big thing, back then it wasn't so common)

Comment

Originally posted by Panathinaikos View Post
          Portugal is a fine Mediterranean country as Italy & Greece are.
          Wrong, Portugal is an atlantic country,
          maybe that is why they do not have a basketball culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Guaiqueries View Post
            Wrong, Portugal is an atlantic country,
            maybe that is why they do not have a basketball culture.
            They do see only the Atlantic sea side but the country is next to Spain. Portugal is in Europe. Any way. Yeah the player I was looking for, is Lisboa. He was a decent player a bit crazy though.
            Last edited by Panathinaikos; 05-13-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

interestingly, their colonial country angola is better than portugal at basketball.

Comment

I believe the player you want is Carlos Lisboa and the team is Benfica.

About the rest, I will try to answer by the end of the week, when I'll have more time.
                Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Originally posted by Buzissa View Post
                  I believe the player you want is Carlos Lisboa and the team is Benfica.

About the rest, I will try to answer by the end of the week, when I'll have more time.
                  Yes! It was Benfica. I still remember the games VS ARIS. And especially Lisboa. He could shoot for 3's from any angle of the court, and from a great distance.
                  I opened this thread because I believe that Portugal could help the European basketball with its appearances. We need more countries and Portugal is a well know sports country. But why you don't have good basketball at all ? I mean you have showed to us that you can have a great football league with great teams.
                  Don't u like basketball there?

Lisboa scores 45 points against the Serbian team.

Comment

Originally posted by vaslover View Post
                    More interesting for me, where is rikhardur?...
                    I'm here

Well just a few days ago some Portuguese commentators were answering this question from a fan. Why doesn't Portugal have teams competing at European level? The answer pretty much matched what I thought: no financial capacity, NO INTEREST (thinking small), getting satisfied with national trophies and beating rivals, the fact that Portuguese basketball never really abandoned amateur procedures although it has been professional for like 20 years (my input), clubs too dependant on football, so big money goes there (my input) and the fact that the level between the topmost Portuguese team and lower teams in Europe is big enough for thrashes and embarrassments
                    I remind you that Porto, an iconic team for Portuguese basketball, terminated their basketball section two years ago allegedly due to financial difficulties.

@baldur: In fact, if a player/coach here gets a good offer from Angola, they'll go there right away.

Thread about Carlos Lisboa: http://www.interbasket.net/forums/sh...se-player-ever
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Too bad that PORTO FC that great European club, didn't help its basketball section and they allow it to be vanished.
                      I really hope that BENFICA FC won't do the same for its basketball section.

REAL and BARCELONA helps their basketball sections by spending money for their rosters.
                      The Portugal football clubs should do the same because they are rich clubs.

I think all you need in Portugal is someone to reorganise the basketball league and find some sponsors.

Comment

Porto's team was refounded (as Dragon Force) and this season won the 2nd division with, again, Moncho López as coach.
                        FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
                        EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzaka View Post
                          Porto's team was refounded (as Dragon Force) and this season won the 2nd division with, again, Moncho López as coach.
                          Yes and hopefully they can be a force again.
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Hi.
                            I'm a Benfica fan, I haven't been here in a long time.

I wanted to add that Benfica is actually considering coming back to Europe next season, 2014-15.
                            Portuguese federation is trying to enforce it, Benfica fans want it and Benfica's coach Carlos Lisboa and the american players already said they are excited to try themselves at european level.
                            The only thing Benfica's administration is trying to sort out is the budget. Portuguese teams have almost no sponsors at all and that made Benfica's last european campaign a financial disaster.

But I think the odds are definitely in our favour. I would give us an 80% chance of being in Europe next season, otherwise the board wouldn't let the players talk about it to the press.

One portuguese newspaper (A Bola) said that Benfica was trying to get a wildcard to participate in Eurocup instead of Eurochallenge but I don't know the story behind that and I don't think it makes much sense.

Comment

I remember Jean Jacques too

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information