• NCAA 90th Season (Diamond and Emerald) •

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• • NCAA 90th Season (Diamond and Emerald) •

moving forward into the 90th anniversary of the oldest varsity league in the country...

sbc red cubs and the red lions are still the defending champions both in juniors and the seniors of the ncaa respectively.

-will the red lions match the record of 5 straight championships set by the legendary golden stags during the 90's?
    -will the red cubs surpass their own 5 straight titles after matching this year with the old record set by the red robins fifth straight titles during the late 60's?
    -which ncaa team is capable of stopping the dynasty of sbc in the ncaa basketball?

jru will be the host for season 90.

let the friendly discussion begin...
    "Lumipad Ka Na Parang Isang Ibon, Lumapag Ka Na Parang Isang Tuyong Dahon..."

Only Rome Dela Rosa will be graduating and probably Kyle Pascual will skip his last playing year for the Red Lions.

No more Baloria for Aric and Perpetual

No Belorio and Almazan for Letran

I think De Vera of SSC is one and done as well

Comment

5 peat for sure...

Comment

Lyceum,AU,EAC and UPHD are bound to get stronger next season. Some of the new foreign recruits might be able to play as early as season 90. The RLs will lose their best perimeter defender and fast break finisher.

Comment

I've been told that Lyceum is a team to watch this next season.

As of now, it's hard to see anyone really challenging SBC. Sure, they're losing Rome, but our recruiters are hard at work to replace him. If we miss out on Tolentino, we have several back-up plans. Worst case scenario is Anthony who showed what he can do starting the F4. He was struggling during the elims because he's coming from an injury. A couple of years ago, he was a very decent perimeter defender. Hopefully, guys like Mendoza and Abatayo improves as well.

Some of the graduating Cubs have already signified their intention to go to Mendiola, so we have that covered.

Kyle will be a huge loss. Fortunately, our recruiters are talking to a couple of big guys. If we fail to land him, DJ Semerad is more than able to back up Ola.

Our back up guards like Abarcar, Ludovice and Sara also showed what they can do. They can take care of the perimeter defending chores, especially if they improve more. I have high hopes for Abarcar who showed what he can do when he's controlled.

I think Baste will be stronger. They're losing De Vera, but Guinto, Ortuoste, and Perez can only improve. They do need to recruit shock troopers though.
          Hello Lipa: Lipa City's First and Biggest Lifestyle Blog

Comment

"I don't know but that's something that they will have to decide as a family … kasi malalayo siya, saka walang financial aid yun eh. Scholarship lang inaalok 'dun,” Roque said.

Exactly why sobrang bulok ng collegiate athletics dito sa atin, money>scholarship. trans: SMF'nH

who on their right mind would refuse an invite to Duke??? even if it's just for a tryout...he was picked over millions of high schoolers. and yes it might just be a ploy to up his "value" some more but then again we're back at square F'n one. seriously, if i become congressman i'd pass a bill to regulate collegiate sports and what athletes should only receive.

Comment

Still waiting for Amer's breakout season just like how Art Dela Cruz did it this year. Amer badly needs consistency in his game.

Comment

Originally posted by killmebusy View Post
                "I don't know but that's something that they will have to decide as a family … kasi malalayo siya, saka walang financial aid yun eh. Scholarship lang inaalok 'dun,” Roque said.

Exactly why sobrang bulok ng collegiate athletics dito sa atin, money>scholarship. trans: SMF'nH

who on their right mind would refuse an invite to Duke??? even if it's just for a tryout...he was picked over millions of high schoolers. and yes it might just be a ploy to up his "value" some more but then again we're back at square F'n one. seriously, if i become congressman i'd pass a bill to regulate collegiate sports and what athletes should only receive.
                Then goodluck in your re election bid hehe.. seriously though the rich keeps getting richer while the poor are forced to resort to err other things

Comment

You're looking at it the wrong way. Here are some questions:

1. Who are going to foot the bill to send Tolentino to Duke for a tryout? Who in their right mind would refuse an invite to Duke? Well, just about anyone who don't have the resources to fly there to get a tryout. This is especially true since Tolentino is a longshot anyway.
                  2. If he does get it, who will pay for his other expenses considering that only a scholarship is offered? Who will pay for his board and lodging, books, clothes, shoes, etc? Who's going to pay for his allowance? PS: I'm surprised that these things are not given to scholars there.

Sure, everyone knows that collegiate players here get "paid" via allowances, but it's allowed here so no one is really breaking any law. Besides, it's the alumni that's usually giving the players allowance - something that's not allowed in the US NCAA.

Put yourself in the position of Tolentino. Where are you going to play considering that you have a poor family who can't afford to send you to the US even on a scholarship? Sure, in a perfect world, getting a scholarship from Duke is heaven-sent, but what are you going to do if you don't have the resources to pay for the other expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by FilipinoDad View Post
                    You're looking at it the wrong way. Here are some questions:

1. Who are going to foot the bill to send Tolentino to Duke for a tryout? Who in their right mind would refuse an invite to Duke? Well, just about anyone who don't have the resources to fly there to get a tryout. This is especially true since Tolentino is a longshot anyway.
                    2. If he does get it, who will pay for his other expenses considering that only a scholarship is offered? Who will pay for his board and lodging, books, clothes, shoes, etc? Who's going to pay for his allowance? PS: I'm surprised that these things are not given to scholars there.

Sure, everyone knows that collegiate players here get "paid" via allowances, but it's allowed here so no one is really breaking any law. Besides, it's the alumni that's usually giving the players allowance - something that's not allowed in the US NCAA.

Put yourself in the position of Tolentino. Where are you going to play considering that you have a poor family who can't afford to send you to the US even on a scholarship? Sure, in a perfect world, getting a scholarship from Duke is heaven-sent, but what are you going to do if you don't have the resources to pay for the other expenses?
                    ok...i didn't know he was from a poor family. so, we're just back to the problem of unethical "pamamalakad" in the collegiate ranks. yes, alumni and boosters are the main source of this...question is, why is it allowed here?

Comment

ok...i didn't know he was from a poor family. so, we're just back to the problem of unethical "pamamalakad" in the collegiate ranks. yes, alumni and boosters are the main source of this...question is, why is it allowed here?
                      AFAIK it starts as early as HS level. It's not really a secret that kids who are not from well off families are supported by "ninongs" who have a say in where they'll be playing in college.

Comment

IIRC, his dad works at the local cockfighting arena and his mom is a housewife. Regarding your other question, it's because of our culture of corruption. Sure, you can just set up a governing body, but can we trust that governing body? Who's going to guard the guards? I mean, I can be a powerful booster and just offer a bribe to an official to allow me to buy a recruit for 25 million pesos.

Unless we change our culture of corruption, then it's not going to help. Hey, at least it's kinda transparent now and everyone is welcome to do the same thing.

Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                        AFAIK it starts as early as HS level. It's not really a secret that kids who are not from well off families are supported by "ninongs" who have a say in where they'll be playing in college.
                        Yup, the ninongs/managers. FWIW, they're usually the ones who discovered the kids.

Comment

There is in fact a long-running debate in the US NCAA about benefits being given to players. The rationale is that these players bring in revenue to the schools in the form of ticket and merchandise sales, so why not give them a share of the money they bring in?

The Philippine situation is like that of the US, only the poverty is more pronounced and student loans are not readily available. There is a ready market for basketball players and a steady pool of players out in the market. Call it commodification, but it is what it is. I can't imagine any of the UAAP/NCAA schools' boosters not offering at least some sort of allowance on top of tuition, board, and lodging. After all, the majority of the players they seek to attract won't be able to afford college and the lifestyle associated with it otherwise.
                          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

At least it allowed the small schools to remain competitive and attract blue chippers. Put it this way. Would anyone want to play for NU if they aren't handing out BDO cards?

Comment

Given that NU is not exactly one's idea of a dream school, it would've taken a boatload of cash to attract some of the best HS talent available during Parks' time. But to be fair to Hans Sy, he did invest a lot in infrastructure. They now have a spanking-new practice court and a new building that can be seen from as far away as Nagtahan Flyover.

Even UP has finally put the finishing touches on the long-mothballed practiced gym that straddles the sidewalk along Commonwealth. Imagine what could happen if Robina Gokongwei-Pe starts to do an MVP or ECJ, or if Villar decides to chip in. Both can very well afford it.

NCAA schools are doing the same. Lyceum's gym is still relatively new (1998?), while EAC's sits on top of a 14-storey building. Mapua, for all their recent failures, is in the middle of renovating their gym as well. The key is to keep on investing -- capex as opposed to opex.
                              Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information