No announcement yet.

Lebanese FLB League-Season 2013-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From LBC's website (clearest version of what really happened)...

Comment

I heard game 5 which tips off later today is delayed to Saturday in resolution after this unnecessary brawl.
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
        I heard game 5 which tips off later today is delayed to Saturday in resolution after this unnecessary brawl.
        True... Cuz the federation couldn't decide whether to give out any suspensions to the players... If Ismail Ahmad (Best player and captain of Riyadi) is suspended due to him retaliating after he got punched by a fan then for sure Riyadi will object and most probably withdraw from the Championship... and this would be a disaster to the League and Lebanese basketball especially since the league didn't finish last year and that would make it 2 years in a row without a team being able to win the league properly.

Comment

Courtesy of our dear friend Dany Abboud

FLB postpone Game 5 following brawl
          June 05, 2014 12:12 AM By Dany Abboud

The Daily Star

BEIRUT: Lebanese basketball is facing another crisis just a month after FIBA lifted their international ban, as the domestic league finals were jeopardized Tuesday following a brawl involving Riyadi players and Sagesse fans in Game 4 of the best-of-seven series.

The Lebanese Basketball Federation (FLB) held a seven-hour meeting Wednesday and decided to postpone Game 5 from Thursday to Saturday, while forming a committee of experts to re-evaluate the video tapes of the brawl objectively.

The FLB also announced they would take a decision on whether to play the remaining matches at a neutral venue by Thursday or Friday.

Rival players exchanged heated words moments before the end of Tuesday’s game over the fair play policy after Dewarick Spencer’s dunk irritated his compatriot Loren Woods. This prompted Sagesse supporters to flock to the court, with one of them striking Riyadi’s Egyptian forward Ismail Ahmad on the back of the head.

Ahmad then retaliated, with one Sagesse supporter knocked to the floor with Riyadi players pounding and kicking him.

The brawl eventually stopped after security forces intervened.

Sports and Youth Minister Abdul-Mutaleb al-Hinawi asked the governing body to cancel Thursday’s game stating that “security is above sports.”

But the governing body is facing a big task of concluding the league in an orderly fashion, or risk the embarrassment of two consecutive seasons without a local champion, after a judicial fallout led to the league’s cancellation at the semifinals stage last year.

“Our opinion is clear. The federation has to ban three players from Riyadi: Ismael Ahmad, Jean Abdelnour and Roy Samaha. The video tapes are clear with their involvement in the fight,” Sagesse secretary-general Joseph Abdel-Massih said.

“Either they ban them, or we will not play anymore. We remained silent throughout the season despite being mistreated, only because we wanted the championship to reach a happy ending.

“But unfortunately the federation overlooked several incidents and this is not appropriate. The rules should be applied fairly.”

Sagesse are not the only team to threaten to withdraw, as Riyadi sources also made it clear that any decision to ban Ismael Ahmad would force them to pull out.

And although club president Hisham Jaroudi remained positive in his statement after a meeting with the FLB president Walid Nassar, he stated that “banning Ahmad was not an option for the federation.”

“We are under the laws. If the federation decided to play without fans, we will accept it. We are under the federation’s umbrella and we respect their decisions.

“Banning Ahmad was not discussed nor an option. We weren’t informed about it during the meeting,” Jaroudi added.

Comment

I don't see a mutual way to come off this situation. The fans should not enter the court no matter what. Trash talk between players are part of the game as well as there is no law in FIBA stating a player should be banned while fans from the opponent team attack them first, specially that Ismail was still on court.

Even though his reaction was cruel and harsh, yet necessary. Before being a professional player, he's a human being and none of us can control our natural instinct while we get attacked or see a friend/brother attacked by random people.

Spencer ruined the series imo by violating the fair play after telling the players it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick_h View Post
              I don't see a mutual way to come off this situation. The fans should not enter the court no matter what. Trash talk between players are part of the game as well as there is no law in FIBA stating a player should be banned while fans from the opponent team attack them first, specially that Ismail was still on court.

Even though his reaction was cruel and harsh, yet necessary. Before being a professional player, he's a human being and none of us can control our natural instinct while we get attacked or see a friend/brother attacked by random people.

Spencer ruined the series imo by violating the fair play after telling the players it's over.
              I agree man...
              Sagesse management and the security on court should have been more prepared and very strict in not letting anyone enter the court... The intensity of these games is already very high and when you are playing outside your court any slight provocation from a fan or opposing player can easily lead to tensions and fight occurring which is exactly what happened.

Many people were surprised by Ismail's reactions and also equally surprised with players like Jean Abdelnour, Ali Haidar and Wael Arakji who are all known to be calm players reacting like that... It's very simple to explain.. When you're caught in the heat of the moment your reactions will be based on instinct and not based on analysis and thinking of your actions... This is what happened with all these Riyadi players who are all known to be gentlemen and not dirty players who get in fights on purpose or like to cause problems.
              Of course their actions are not justified but in such a situation and under such circumstances these things happen.

I also agree that what Spencer did was wrong and his actions did indeed affect the whole series which I sincerely hope will be continued because we can't afford to have this season being discontinued... That would be a huge blow to Lebanese basketball and the league.

Comment

Congrats to Riyadi for winning the Lebanese League last night and tough luck for Sagesse (Series ended 4-2 for Riyadi)! Thank God the season came to an end cuz at one point things looked really bad with politics interfering again in sports..

Riyadi-Champions.jpgRiyadi-Champions2.jpgRiyadi-Champions3.jpgSubotic.jpgSubotic2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by toz-bil-3awniye
                  Riyadi ruined lebanese basketball forever, and now they have ismael ahmad naturalized. Playing 2 foreigners + ismael, just like they did with vogel.

I suggest all teams to go out, and make a league of our own.Let Riyadi play by themselves, cheating has no place with us.
                  i am not defending Riyadi or anything nor anyone, but Isamil Ahmad is Lebanese as much as you and i are !!!!.......he's been in Lebanon for the past 15 years and above that he is married to a Lebanese!!....
                  and if you want to speak logic and fair, Being in lebanon for 15 years is more eligible to get the passport rather than a lebanese descendent with not even one day residency in lebanon !!!
                  so relax, KABBER 3A2LAK and encourage the game with whatever possible way !! this will increase the basketball level in lebanon!! anyways Riyadi proved a LOTTT that they dont need Ismail Ahmad to win a game... he simply completes the team specially with his experience... and if you're really into basketball, Riyadi has the BEST TEAM in lebanon and the region!! and im talking as a TEAM not players!! they are the most disciplined team since ever!

by the way, i'm a sagesse Fan, ex student and ex player... but this is my humble opinion
                  Long Live Lebanon !! (Except All the Corrupted Citizens and All the Politicians!!)

Comment

Consider this is a first and final warning. If you keep posting such kind of posts you will get banned. Khalid80
                    la 7abibe...l falastiniyyeh in lebanon are REFUGEES....and are not even eligible for a citizenship!! although they are treated as lebanese practicing all their rights on our land, whether they are following the Legal rules or illegally !!!..... (w bala ma nfout b hal dibejet l ma ela ta3me aslan!...)

ana i was talking BASKETBALL WISE,,, and NOT POLITICAL WISE !!!!!!!!!

the only persons who need the prison are those dirty samples of the sagesse fans who needed a dust of a push from any of the players to go down the basketball court and start the dirty fight and trigger the decent players who were trying to calm things down and checking what was going on!!

with all this chaos that encountered on court, if you were a real decent man, who is getting trashed and HIT and PUSHED by dirty stupid young illeterate and childish men for several times, the unconscious background of your brains (if not the logical part of it) would tell you to do the same as what Ismail Ahmad and his TEAM MATES did !!!!!!! Coz I would do the same as any other normal person would do, and not becoz Ismail or his team mates are dirty!!! and NOT bcoz of religious problems bcoz both teams have mixed religions among their players and staff members!!!!

i really feel pitty for ppl who are shallow and looking only for trouble becoz we have a lack in social and civil education in our country...
                    Last edited by Khalid80; 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM.
                    Long Live Lebanon !! (Except All the Corrupted Citizens and All the Politicians!!)

Comment

Guys any non-related basketball posts will be deleted! Political discussions are not tolerated anywhere here and this is the last thing we need to have on our hands... Aren't you already disgusted and fed up with how politics is destroying our beloved sport and country? If you want to discuss politics go do this elsewhere. Khalid80

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
                        Guys any non-related basketball posts will be deleted! Political discussions are not tolerated anywhere here and this is the last thing we need to have on our hands... Aren't you already disgusted and fed up with how politics is destroying our beloved sport and country? If you want to discuss politics go do this elsewhere. Khalid80
                        100%

shi b arrif !

Comment

Although i consider myself Sagesse's biggest fan and i hate Riyadi, i couldn't but agree to everything you said.
                          I just hate how these fans(i don't know what to call them but they are definitely not fans) are affecting the reputation of real Sagessians.

Comment

Originally posted by MALEK View Post
                            Although i consider myself Sagesse's biggest fan and i hate Riyadi, i couldn't but agree to everything you said.
                            I just hate how these fans(i don't know what to call them but they are definitely not fans) are affecting the reputation of real Sagessians.
                            not just the reputation of Sagesse!! but the WHOLE Lebanese basketball !!!

... on the other hand, i really hope they will hire a foreign coach for the National team instead of Sarkis, in order to be fully dedicated for the team, fair to the players and in choosing the right and appropriate prospects!!

Comment

I also hope that FAC is replaced by a real coach.

Comment

I want to ask this year its 8 teams only. How many teams get relegated? and how many teams get promoted?
                                How can we follow the results of 2nd division.Can some tell us whats going there, and who might get promoted.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information