2014 Philippine U18 National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yogaflame View Post
    DAmn these local leagues , channels and university. Oh my , especially these two schools, Ateneo and DLSU, they always feel that basketball world is all about them competiting with each other, only and nothing else matters, hay.
    I share your sentiments pare. I think "some" players/fans/alumni/school officials/benefactors (even the media) think that collegiate basketball is bigger than Philippine basketball. They have that kind of mentality. For instance a diehard Ateneo fan won't mind seeing Gilas Pilipinas being beaten black & blue in international competition for as long as Ateneo ends up the UAAP champion. I wonder if UAAP fans (the students & alumni in particular) care about Gilas' present campaign in the FIBA-Asia Cup. Perhaps they will care about Gilas' campaign in the FIBA World Cup. Eh everybody's following it naman eh. Since that silver-medal conquest of Gilas in last year's FIBA-Asia Championship, the word "Gilas Pilipinas" became a household name. All of a sudden everyone wants to get a piece of Gilas. Alam mo naman ang pinoy, kung ano ang sikat, kung ano ang pinaka hottest topic in the social media, gusto ring makisawsaw. Question is: Do they really love Philippine basketball? Where were they when Philippine basketball was struggling in international tournaments some years ago? They don't love Phi. basketball, they just want to take a ride of its recent success & popularity.
    Last edited by JAMSKIE; 07-18-2014, 04:17 AM.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
      How about the one who suggested that IbaƱes play the PG position
      Oh, that guy? Natahimik na yata.

That being said, I see a lot of hasty generalizations in this thread. Kesyo Ateneo and its fans do not care about the country (can't speak for DLSU as I am not an alumnus), we are just jumping on the Gilas bandwagon, etc. These people conveniently forget that the core of the U-18 team comes from the NCAA and UAAP, that there are at least three to four Ateneans who have a clear shot at the U-18 roster, and the U-18 coach left his job with the Blue Eaglets to focus on his national team duties. Digging further back, you see the likes of Pessumal and Ravena donning the national team colors at the U-18 level.

But when these same peole look at the roster and see that Aaron Black, the Nieto twins, and Jolo Mendoza are there, they're often the first to shout "bias".
      Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• I'm sorry for my previous comment, add to the stress of my job, seeing these news really pissed me off, especially as a basketball fan and I love my country. I'm sorry from what I said. It is just that it really is pointless. They can always reschedule the local leagues, and these schools has allot of talent in there reserve list. Schools can always adjust these students schedule for there academic requirements. It also sucks that most of the time they will only allow players who are in there reserve list or team B.

About rescheduling of league competition, they will not lose allot of money from it, it's just a few days or few weeks. Let's emulate what other countries, they prioritize national team than there local leagues and still there local leagues remains exciting and competitive.
        Last edited by yogaflame; 07-19-2014, 08:42 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by kerouac82 View Post
          Oh, that guy? Natahimik na yata.

That being said, I see a lot of hasty generalizations in this thread. Kesyo Ateneo and its fans do not care about the country (can't speak for DLSU as I am not an alumnus), we are just jumping on the Gilas bandwagon, etc. These people conveniently forget that the core of the U-18 team comes from the NCAA and UAAP, that there are at least three to four Ateneans who have a clear shot at the U-18 roster, and the U-18 coach left his job with the Blue Eaglets to focus on his national team duties. Digging further back, you see the likes of Pessumal and Ravena donning the national team colors at the U-18 level.

But when these same peole look at the roster and see that Aaron Black, the Nieto twins, and Jolo Mendoza are there, they're often the first to shout "bias".
          But if MVP weren't bankrolling the Ateneo program, would it still send players to the NT? If it was Danding and not MVP who was sponsoring the NT, maybe the core of the u-18 would be composed of DLSU players (at least those guys who meet the citizenship and residency requirements)...
          ā€œI never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.ā€
          -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

• Kobe Paras to suit up for under 18!!! http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras

Comment

• Originally posted by blitznutz View Post
              Kobe Paras to suit up for under 18!!! http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras
              finally, some good news for this team....

Comment

Kobe Paras to suit up for under 18!!! http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras
                finally a break for our youth team.. its quite funny that is american school allowed him to play for the national team yet some philippine based school haven't released their players for national team.
                Last edited by digitalsuperman; 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM.
                The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                  finally a break for our youth team.. its quite funny that is american school allowed him to play for the national team yet some philippine based school haven't released their players for national team.
                  good thing is that its summer there....while local leagues are ongoing now...

Comment

• good news..

and i can't wait for uaap and ncaa season moved
                    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                      You hit it right in the head bro! Although we know the answer but we still would like to ask WHY?

Comment

• @Compton_Magic: KobeParas #Cathedral has picked up his first offer from UT Arlington. @Im_Not_Kobe heating up here in Vegas on MagicPurple and @Team_Bayless
                        Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                          @Compton_Magic: KobeParas #Cathedral has picked up his first offer from UT Arlington. @Im_Not_Kobe heating up here in Vegas on MagicPurple and @Team_Bayless
                          Kobe Paras #Cathedral picked up 2 offers yesterday from Portland State and UT Arlington. @Im_Not_Kobe putting in work in Vegas

Comment

• Originally posted by TrueBluePinoy View Post
                            Asilum the team can live without. Ravena and Ochea though.
                            With these developments, what are the chances Sir Nardy that Greek Phenom Raniel Navarro may end up playing for the RP 18 Batang Gilas. Or Tito toots son Erese playing since it's summer in NZ. If American HS can lend Kobe Paras, hope our expats can lend their hands to us.

Comment

lucky that the dates are before school starts in the US and its during fall season basketball season doesn't start until winter,as of now his teammates who are dual or triple sports stars,mostly the small forwards and power forwards,are still in summer camp for Amecian football as receivers and tight ends.

Comment

• People are still talking about navarro here? Wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information