WC Absences Thread 2014 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC Absences Thread 2014 Edition

Is this true that Tony Parker may skip next year's 2014 World Cup after leading France to gold?
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

I believe he said he isn't sure yet, since he intends to play for France untill 2016 Olympics, WC 2014 is the most likely tournament he could skip (2015 euro serves as an Olympic qualifier)
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

This is why FIBA's attempt to make the basketball WC bigger than the Olympics basketball tournament will fail. If Parker chooses to play in the Olympics over the WC, who could blame him? FIFA made football at the Olympics an under 23 + 6 senior players, or whatever it is, so no one in the right minds would choose to play in the Olympics over the World Cup. But in basketball, the ridiculously small Olympics field of 12 with 3-4 weak teams usually included due to continental quotas, means that if you are a serious team you are one QF win away from competing for the medals. Not so in the WC, with many more teams from Europe and the Americas making competition much tougher. And your medal is less prestigious than an Olympic medal. So if you plan to miss a year's competition as a veteran player, the WC is a good candidate. This year's Eurobasket would have been another option, but as we saw Parker's decision to play turned out very well for him and for France.

Comment

South Korea's Kim Joo-Sung is willing to play one last time for the national team but if he is not healthy, he said on Daum.net that he may voluntarily give up his spot. Kim and Korea last appeared on the world championships way back in 1998 and the latter was an enterprising youngster.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Looks like we can count Derrick Rose as an absentee for the World Cup next year despite Rose's willingness to play under Coach K.
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
            Is this true that Tony Parker may skip next year's 2014 World Cup after leading France to gold?
            FRA - Player of Year Parker leaves door open on Spain 2014

Andrew Bogut has already stated that he will likely skip WC 2014. I don't think he' ll change his mind, his intention is to play again for the NT only in the 2016 Olympics.

Comment

Joakim Noah to miss WC2014

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info about Noah. I found this awhile ago for Turiaf.
                Turiaf not closing doors for France
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

So this may re-affirm that Parker is skipping WC this year.

Parker reiterated that he will take this summer off, skipping the FIBA World Cup of Basketball in Spain. He will return to the French national team for the 2015 European championships and again for the 2016 Olympic tournament.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Goran Dragic could skip the world cup.
                    Goran Dragic is playing nearly 35 minutes a night for the Suns and would like to rest this summer, but that means letting down his national team.

Gustavo Ayon will not play in the world cup for rehabilitation purposes.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

How about UKRAINE?
                      sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

So this may re-affirm that Parker is skipping WC this year.
                        العاب خربشات
                        al3ab
                        العاب ماهر
                        العاب حرب

Comment

FIBA WORLD should find a way to make a deal with NBA in order to have all the countries playing with their best players.
                          It's not an easy thing especially when u r a Rookie player trying to succeed in NBA, to disobey your NBA team's orders to stay in states and avoid playing for your National team.
                          Giannis Antetokoumbo has been asked as well to stay in states for the NBA summer league. So he won't play in Spain.

The only way for some non American to play for his National team against his NBA team's orders, is to be P.Gasol T.Parker or D.Nowitzki.

But definitely FIBA has to do something about that in order to insure a strong World cup games with the best Countries rosters.

Greece would be very competitive and a favourite to reach the semi finals if Koufos Calathis and Antetokoumbo would be a part of this team.
                          Antetokoumpo is a young inexperience player but he was the 7th Rookie of the year in NBA. He has skills and he could help Greece gather rebounds and put more power in its game.
                          Koufos is a very good center with great experience in NBA, and if he was playing in Euroleague he would be one of the best players in his position. He really helped Greece as many times as he played with our NT.
                          Calathis is not the best playmaker in the world, but he also helped Greece reaching the Bronze medal in 2009 Eurobasket, and he could play very good along with Spanoulis.

Unfortunately I think that none of them will play for Greece this year.

Greece remains a good solid team, but with out these guys I don't think that we can do more than 8th 6th place.
                          Last edited by Panathinaikos; 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM.
                          EUROLEAGUE CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

I'd say the US has hit the point where the team that isn't going could beat the team that is going...

Chris Paul, Deron Williams
                            Russell Westbrook, Andre Iguodala
                            LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kawhi Leonard
                            Kevin Love, Blake Griffin
                            Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge

Comment

Originally posted by cagney View Post
                              I'd say the US has hit the point where the team that isn't going could beat the team that is going...

Chris Paul, Deron Williams
                              Russell Westbrook, Andre Iguodala
                              LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kawhi Leonard
                              Kevin Love, Blake Griffin
                              Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge
                              But as this is not the Olympics I would say that Bron, Dwight Howard, Carmelo and CP were never an option so I would exclude them from this team. I was surprised that Love is not going, that sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information