This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
    i agree! and he was actually an SF/ SG in college, who was given the task to shoot the three.. but injuries, and depleting confidence runs him in.
    deleted

Comment

• Originally posted by c_d View Post
      Same story as Jermaine O' Neal. In just one summer, he grew up from 6'4 to 6'11.
      Same story as Mon Fernandez. From a 5'9 point guard in senior high school to a 6'4 center in early college. This explained his dribbling and passing skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfrancis View Post
        Same story as Mon Fernandez. From a 5'9 point guard in senior high school to a 6'4 center in early college. This explained his dribbling and passing skills.
        Or Danny Francisco, who was a 5'11" guard who shot up to 6'6".
        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
          i agree! and he was actually an SF/ SG in college, who was given the task to shoot the three.. but injuries, and depleting confidence runs him in.
          Are you referring to the Ateneo Japeth, or the WKU Japeth?

Ateneo during his time had him starting at center, with Ford Arao and Rabeh Al-Hussaini backing him up. Starting at SF and SG back then were JC Intal and Chris Tiu, respectively, and there was no way he would've been allowed to shoot threes with that roster.

At WKU, he played behind Jeremy Evans and DJ Magley at center. The starting SF/SG was Courtney Lee. He was actually recruited as a full-time center because of WKU's frontcourt woes.
          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• I pity grade school or even high school players who are already boxed in to play as a big man , simply because they're the tallest players available. As far as I'm concerned every young player should be trained as a guard. Or the fundamental skills of a guard. let them naturally grow into their natural position without pre-empting their position simply by height or the need to win at the age youth level.
            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
            https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• ^^
              That is why I'm all for learning the skill set required to run the DDO effectively at the different age groups. Train everyone to dribble well, face up , pass, read defense, drive and shoot. Regardless of what position you end up playing those skills will serve any player well.

At a young age , my preference is to play center or big man less. 5 out or at least 4 out. everyone is a guard.
              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• There was a high school team, many years back, who had a 6'1 player who was naturally an SG. Since he was the tallest in the team, many assumed he would be playing center. However, the coach thought this would not benefit the player and the team. He had him play as shooting guard and let another player, who was a natural center at 5'9.

Sadly though, this does not happen as much as we would like in the entire country.

Comment

• Originally posted by kerouac82 View Post
                  Are you referring to the Ateneo Japeth, or the WKU Japeth?

Ateneo during his time had him starting at center, with Ford Arao and Rabeh Al-Hussaini backing him up. Starting at SF and SG back then were JC Intal and Chris Tiu, respectively, and there was no way he would've been allowed to shoot threes with that roster.

At WKU, he played behind Jeremy Evans and DJ Magley at center. The starting SF/SG was Courtney Lee. He was actually recruited as a full-time center because of WKU's frontcourt woes.

ah ok! To clarify my previous post, I thought he was an SF/ PF (not SG as I mentioned) in WKU, as he was given the green signal to shoot the three.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctongco View Post
                    There was a high school team, many years back, who had a 6'1 player who was naturally an SG. Since he was the tallest in the team, many assumed he would be playing center. However, the coach thought this would not benefit the player and the team. He had him play as shooting guard and let another player, who was a natural center at 5'9.

Sadly though, this does not happen as much as we would like in the entire country.
                    why cant they play the tallest kid at center in defense but outside on offense? if i remember correctly, this is what Arvin Tolentino was doing during his HS years. Defensively he was in the middle, but on offense he receives the ball on the wings and mocon normally cuts on the weakside.
                    WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                    SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by C2Hamm View Post
                      why cant they play the tallest kid at center in defense but outside on offense? if i remember correctly, this is what Arvin Tolentino was doing during his HS years. Defensively he was in the middle, but on offense he receives the ball on the wings and mocon normally cuts on the weakside.
                      He was a much better perimeter defender. The shorter center was defensively better in the post. On offense, he plays reggie-miller-style... he'd go through screens and take his shots beyond the arc. If his defender managed to go through the screen, his height would make if difficult to block his shot.

Comment

• BTW does anyone know , who the Happee PBA d-league team (basically the cadet team in disguise) is strongly affiliated to (unofficial) , among the PBA franchises ?

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                          BTW does anyone know , who the Happee PBA d-league team (basically the cadet team in disguise) is strongly affiliated to (unofficial) , among the PBA franchises ?
                          I guess its no other than the MVP group. One indication is that Hapee got the holdovers of the NLEX team (D-league team) like Amer, Kirk Long, Lanete & as you mentioned, Hapee team is the Gilas cadet team in disguise. I therefore believe that Hapee just replaced NLEX in the D-league as the NLEX franchise climbed to the PBA.
                          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• i grow up from 5"1 to 5"6 but now im still 5"6 lol

btw whats the latest development from our cadet pool?
                            Dubai Invitationals is near from now.
                            sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rocketstar47 View Post
                              i grow up from 5"1 to 5"6 but now im still 5"6 lol

Sometimes we have to take a step back and remember that basketball was meant to be fun and that life is more than a bouncing ball going through the hoops.

Enjoy the song.

Comment

• Originally posted by rocketstar47 View Post
                                i grow up from 5"1 to 5"6 but now im still 5"6 lol

Here's another one. Have fun and remember that it's supposed to entertain us.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information