Panathinaikos (PAO) first European team to sign a Chinese player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panathinaikos (PAO) first European team to sign a Chinese player

Panathinaikos (PAO) signs a deal with a Chinese power forward from the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), making the player the first from his country to play in Europe

This may be the start of something. Personally I don't know how good Shang Ping is. To be frank, I am surprised, because - looking at the roster - the Chinese player will be a rather important part of the team and as far as I know, he did not play much in China. If he performs well though, it will bring China and Europe closer in basketball terms.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

This is what I wrote in the signings and rumors thread:

I was very shocked with the news because this player hasn't done anything special throughout his career.. I mean if it was Yi Jianlian or Guo Ailun who are top Chinese players I would have understood... Right now the only logical explanation that comes to mind, if this signing is true, is that it was done for purely marketing purposes... I don't know if you know or remember but a few months ago PAO signed an endorsement deal with one of the biggest sports agencies/companies in China and since last year we always used to hear rumours about Chinese players joining PAO... For sure PAO is trying to enter the Chinese market and become one of the first European teams to do so, which if successful, could eventually generate a lot of income and money for PAO especially once there is Chinese interest in PAO and the Euroleague.

And my Chinese friend told me that Shang Ping isn't expected or expecting to play and just be a bench warmer...
      Shang Ping.jpg

Comment

The thought process here is truly baffling. They think they are going to market in China by signing a benchwarmer from the Chinese league to be a benchwarmer for them? If anything, people in China who previously never heard of Panathinaikos will now think they must really suck if they are signing this guy.
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
          The thought process here is truly baffling. They think they are going to market in China by signing a benchwarmer from the Chinese league to be a benchwarmer for them? If anything, people in China who previously never heard of Panathinaikos will now think they must really suck if they are signing this guy.
          More like they will get overly excited as they normally do when a fellow countryman plays abroad.
          THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

"A journey of a thousand begins with a single step."
            Laozi

Comment

So now PAO official website mentioned about Shang Ping

Ping “The Beast” Shang

Panathinaikos BC announces reaching an agreement with Ping Shang, as it will become the first team in Europe, ever to land collaboration with a Chinese athlete.

“It had been according to plan, to make an opening towards the gigantic Market of China and we are especially pleased that Panathinaikos becomes a pioneer in Europe, when it comes to this matter”, stated the Panathinaikos BC president, Dimitris Giannakopoulos after finalization in the deal with the Chinese athlete: “Panathinaikos, being the most successful team all through the last two decades, aims to dominate in other departments also. Our goal is Panathinaikos’ name to become famous all over the planet and we committed a great step towards it, by pioneering at opening the Marker of China. Other European teams have attempted it but failed; while we achieved it though a year’s effort. It was not easy, but we accomplished it”.

“A dream come true”

In his first statements as a member of Panathinaikos, Ping Shang stated: “I am excited and I can’t wait to come to Greece and meet my coach and my teammates. It has been a dream for me to compete in Europe and now I come to realize that it has come true. When I first heard of the possibility for me to compete in a European team and especially for the great Panathinaikos, I could not believe it could ever happen! It is, so, a great moment for me; and what I can say, is that I will be doing the best for my team and exactly what my coach requests from me. Of course I know of Panathinaikos’ magnitude; I have watched many of its Euroleague games and I always liked the way the team competed. To me, the captain stands out (Diamantidis) but also many other players… please don’t ask me to say their names because… it is hard for me. I am proud to be a Panathinaikos member; but I also feel to be an ambassador for China in Europe, the first athlete from my country to be competing in the continent”.

Who Ping Shang is

Ping Shang was born in Hearbin (China) on December, 23 1984 and is 2.09m. His father, Guchen Shang, stands at 1.98m while his mother sees the world from 1.86m a height. Both have played professional basketball in China. Ping Shang attended the New Zeeland Avondale High School curriculum, while once he finished school he continued his studies in the USA and more specifically, at the Illinois Central Community College. After 2 years he crossed over to Nebraska University, while he would finish his College career (with a degree in higher economics) at Emporia State. Due to his physical power, in college his was given the nickname “The beast”. He then returned to his country where he competed for the Beijing Ducks, Shanxi Zhongyh and Qingdao.

Comment

Panathinaikos (PAO) are making moves to expand their brand in China. Along with the signing of Shang Ping, they are also planning exhibition games in China this year.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianCagers View Post
                  Panathinaikos (PAO) are making moves to expand their brand in China. Along with the signing of Shang Ping, they are also planning exhibition games in China this year.
                  I heard both PAO and Real Madrid will be playing some exhibition games in China.... Not sure of date though.

Comment

Shang Ping's debut in Greek Basket League (First Chinese basketball player in Europe)

October 21, 2013 - Panathinaikos 74 : 35 Panelefsiniakos

Comment

35 points up, against Panelefsiakos, they trusted him
                      THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
                        35 points up, against Panelefsiakos, they trusted him
                        When he entered court this was the highlight of the game ... Many of us gave him a standing ovation and we were cheering really loud for him.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information