Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1466

Thread: PBA Governor's Cup 2013

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cryotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pryssmos
    Posts
    1,117

    Default PBA Governor's Cup 2013

    PBA Govs Cup Aug 14, single-round elims then last 2 out-top 4 2x-to-beat edge over next 4, winners in best-of-5 semis then best-of-7 finals
    Not only does God play dice, but sometimes he throws the dice where we can’t see them.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Cryotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pryssmos
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Here’s a quick rundown of the possible imports for the Governors Cup:

    1 Alaska Aces – Wendell McKines (confirmed)

    2. Barangay Ginebra Kings – Dior Lowhorn

    3. San Mig Coffee Mixers – Marqus Blakely (confirmed)

    4. Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters – Tony Mitchell (confirmed)

    5. Rain or Shine – negotiating with Arizona Reid

    6. Petron Blaze Boosters – negotiating with Arizona Reid

    7. Barako Bull Energy Cola – Michael Singletary

    8. Meralco Bolts – Mario West

    9. Air21 Express – Zach Graham (confirmed)

    10. Globalport Batang Pier – still evaluating list
    Not only does God play dice, but sometimes he throws the dice where we can’t see them.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    looking at the crop of imports and balik imports for the governors cup, it looks like this will be an explosive and exciting governors cup (more than the commissioners cup with all that talented imports).. sad that it is a very quick conference.. but still exciting nonetheless...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Teams should look the the NBA summer leagues for prospects.

    I mean the players there also get top notch competition, as they will go up against the top draft picks from this year and some draft picks from last year.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    Catch "Kwento ng PBA" tonight on TV5 at 10PM. You'll not only see the highlights of the BGSM-TNT semis series, you'll also see vintage games featuring the Big J and a briefer on Ginebra's history as to why they're so popular for three decades now.

    Catch it tonight on TV5!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    Teams should look the the NBA summer leagues for prospects.

    I mean the players there also get top notch competition, as they will go up against the top draft picks from this year and some draft picks from last year.
    Problem there is that european, chinese, korean teams are also watching....

  8. #8
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    6,540
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Todd Purves to begin stint as Petron coaching consultant in late July
    By Snow Badua
    July 03, 2013, 06:12 pm



    Coach Todd Purves is expected to join the Boosters after a two-week tour of duty with the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA summer league, where he is one of the team’s scouts. Jerome Ascano
    AMERICAN coach Todd Purves is set to arrive on the final week of July to take on his new role as Petron coaching consultant, but team insiders don't expect him to be holding the white board and designing plays when the Boosters begin their campaign in the PBA Governors Cup.

    The former Indonesia Warriors head coach is wrapping up a two-week tour of duty with the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA Summer League where he is one of the team's scouts, but is expected to arrive on July 27, possibly with Petron's import, Elijah Milsap, in tow.

    Purves will be joining a rejigged Petron coaching staff that is now led by Gee Abanilla and includes assistant coaches Koy Banal, Biboy Ravanes, and Leo Austria.

    Team insiders, however, expect him to be a lot more discreet than Rajko Toroman, who took on a similar role back when Olsen Racela was coaching the team during the Philippine Cup.

    “Hindi naman siya siguro magko-krokis (hold white board), hindi naman niya character yun,” said the team official. “Saka alam naman niya na hindi pa niya kilala ang strengths and weaknesses ng players, so I don’t think gagawin niya yun."

    The 43-year-old bench tactician has already agreed to move to Petron after a successful stint with the Warriors in the Asean Basketball League, where he led the team to a championship and a runner-up finish behind San Miguel over the last two years.

    Team insiders expect the former video researcher and advance scout for the Sacramento Kings to play a key role in Petron's bid to reclaim its status as one of the pro league's powers.

    “He’ll be a good addition, we expect to learn a lot from him,” said the source.

    Purves, the source added, might also be tapped to lead the San Miguel Beer-Philippines in the 2013 FIBA Asia Champions Cup in Jordan this September.

    SMB coach Austria will not be available for the club competition as he is still calling the shots for the Adamson Falcons in the UAAP during that time.

    Follow the writer on Twitter: @snowbadua


    http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball...-governors-cup
    See You In #SPAIN2014

    See you In #DUBAI2014

  9. #9
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    6,540
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    EXPRESS’ TRAINING SHIFTS TO HIGH GEAR
    10:51 pm | Thursday, July 4th, 2013


    With still more than a month to go before the start of the Governors’ Cup, the Air21 Express have started to pick up their training routine.

    “Medyo mabigat na yung training namin, as usual. Nakakapagod din talaga kung hindi ka sanay,” said guard John Wilson.

    “Pero ayos lang sa amin yun, para maagang makundisyon,” added the former Jose Rizal University Heavy Bomber.

    Focusing on skills and conditioning, strength coach Dan Rose said he just wants to enhance the training program of the Express.

    “We don’t have a lot of big men in the team, so I think you already know what’s the plan,” said Rose, who emphasized that the Express will again rely on their run and gun offense to be able to match-up with the other ballclubs.

    Coach Franz Pumaren admitted that so far the only legitimate big man in his team is 6-5 Noy Baclao, who is still undersized compared to his counterparts in other teams.

    “We are on a different routine – performance drills, bangs and a lot of movements. That’s what we do. We’ve really started to pick up pace… but it’s not yet full throttle,” insisted Rose.

    Commencing practice last June 3, Air21 was one of the teams that will have more than two months of preparation for the season-ending tournament.

    “Heavy na kami kasi we need to prepare hard for the next conference,” said assistant coach Cholo Villanueva. “Two quarterfinals kami kaya syempre we want to improve every conference.”

    “Pero isang factor lang itong gagawin namin sa team. Marami pang ibang adjustments na gagawin,” he added.

    Villanueva, however, was quick to allay fears about peaking earlier than the ideal time.

    “Hindi naman. Kasi pine-pacing naman ng maayos ni coach Dan (Rose) yung conditioning program. I think right on target naman yung program niya kaya walang magiging problema.”

    Meanwhile, prolific import Zach Graham is expected to arrive on July 28 and will immediately join the Express’ training camp.

    Graham’s return should be a welcome addition for Pumaren as the former Mississippi Rebels guard recorded an astonishing 37.56 points, 12.56 rebounds, and 3.78 assists average in 9 games in the same conference a year ago. (SBadua)


    http://pba.inquirer.net/26607/expres...s-to-high-gear
    See You In #SPAIN2014

    See you In #DUBAI2014

  10. #10
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    6,540
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    J-Wash happy to start over at Globalport after difficult seasons with Petron
    By Richard Dy
    July 10, 2013, 05:15 pm


    THE parting of ways may not be amicable, but Jay Washington insists he harbors no ill feelings toward his former team Petron.

    The 6-foot-7 Washington said he is happy to be starting all over again after he was traded by the Boosters to rookie team Globalport, a franchise still in search of its identity in which the Fil-Am big man hopes to revitalize a career that appeared to have stagnated this season.

    Washington said he’s trying to adjust to his new team and new environment after joining the Batang Pier on their second day of practice at the Moro Lorenzo gym inside the Ateneo campus on Wednesday.

    “I’m getting used to my new surroundings, new coach, new system. But it’s good though. I’m just excited about the new start and it feels good being here,” Washington told Spin.ph.

    The former Eckerd College alumnus understands player trades are a part of PBA life – and other leagues for that matter – and has learned to accept the fact the San Miguel Corp. management is moving in a new direction.

    “As far as San Miguel and Petron are concerned, I can’t have any hard feelings against them. They basically made me a star in this league so I owe them a lot, especially Boss RSA (San Miguel big boss Ramon S. Ang) and Boss Danding (Cojuangco). They treated me like family,” he said.

    “If they wanted to make changes and go for a different route, that’s how it is sometimes. But as far as I go, I don’t feel like I lost anything,” added the 31-year-old Washington, who earned two Best Player of the Conference awards in his five-year stint with the SMC Group after coming on board in 2008.

    Washington said several changes, from player movements to coaching shuffles, have somehow affected Petron’s performance the past seasons.

    “We had a pretty good run especially during my first couple of years with the (San Miguel/Petron) team because we got Danny Seigle, Mick (Pennisi), and other veterans. It seemed so easy back then to win because we were (always) in the semis and finals,” he recalled.

    “But then, it’s more like, so many changes have gone since. Like every conference, something major is going on. I was playing well there, trying to kill myself for the team, basically had an injury caused by wear and tear,” the sweet-shooting forward said.

    “Then when I came back, for me, personally, it was a lot different. I went from major contributor to being like a role player.”

    By joining Globalport, Washington sees an opportunity to have a fresh start and regain his old, fiery form that made him a three-time Mythical First Team member in the league.

    “I really feel good being here (Globalport), be able to contribute and be a major contributor, helping lead some younger guys, since I have the championship experience,” he said.

    “Basically, I know how it goes and what it takes to win and I’m comfortable with the role to lead,” Washington added.

    Washington averaged just 8.2 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 1.06 assists for Petron this season, way below his 15.9 points, 9.4 rebounds, and 2.2 assists during the 2011 season - the year he won a PBA championship and earned a Best Player of the Conference trophy.

    Follow the writer on Twitter: @richava


    http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball...pba-basketball
    See You In #SPAIN2014

    See you In #DUBAI2014

  11. #11
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    6,540
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    http://http://www.spin.ph/sports/bas...-be-more-vocal

    Search for 'The Voice:' Racela wants San Mig's point guards to be more vocal
    By Richard Dy
    July 17, 2013, 05:48 pm


    THE first thing Olsen Racela observed the moment he assumed the role as one of Tim Cone’s deputies was the need for the Mixers’ young backcourt to be more vocal and lead the way.

    “They just have to be more vocal,” Racela said of the San Mig trio of Mark Barroca, and rookies Alex Mallari and Lester Alvarez.

    “Nahalata ko ngayon di pa sila masyado vocal. Iyan ang sinasabi namin ni (fellow assistant coach) Johnny (Abarrientos) sa kanila. Sinusubukan naming ituro sa kanila `yun, be more vocal and be more of a leader,” said the former Petron head coach.

    The 5-foot-10 Barroca is coming off an impressive performance in the Commissioner's Cup where he posted career-high averages of 8.5 points, 3.6 rebounds, 3.7 assists, and 1.8 steals in 30.9 minutes of play.

    It was the first full conference Barroca served as San Mig’s starting point guard after the Mixers decided to part ways with Josh Urbiztondo and Jonas Villanueva.

    Racela said the lack of experience may be showing this season for the Mixers’ young backcourt men, but given enough time, they could gain more confidence as they play more games together.

    “Malaki ang potential nila. They just need more experience and get used to what they are doing since bago kasi sila,” noted the 42-year-old Racela, who during his playing years was among the best point guards in the pro league.

    According to Racela, he himself needs more input from Cone, the reason why he has been on an observer mode since the Mixers began practicing last week.

    “More of observe lang ako for the first few weeks though I have a grasp of the triangle (offense) kasi yun din ang tinakbo namin before with (Philippine) Centennial team," said Racela, a member of the Cone-led Philippine team that won a bronze medal in the 1998 Asian Games in Beijing.

    "So kailangan lang ma-refresh sa triangle and how they are running things in practice,” he added.

    The former Ateneo Blue Eagle owns a 14-17 (win-loss) record overall as Petron coach the last two conferences of the season. He has since been transferred to the Mixers as part of the massive coaching movement of coaches wiothin the San Mig Corporation-owned ball clubs.

    Follow the writer on Twitter: @richava
    See You In #SPAIN2014

    See you In #DUBAI2014

  12. #12
    Senior Member Servinio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    756

    Thumbs up



    THREE OF my lucky fans will get to join me at "A Day of Love". a charity exhibition game with the PBA's Barako Bull Energy Cola against NBA All-Star Stephon Marbury and Filipino All-Stars. The game will be on August 7, 2013 at the Asian Institute of Maritime Studies in Pasay City and will give fans a chance to gauge Barako Bull's preparations for the 2013 Governors' Cup. READ MORE

  13. #13
    Senior Member toikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    942
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Servinio View Post


    THREE OF my lucky fans will get to join me at "A Day of Love". a charity exhibition game with the PBA's Barako Bull Energy Cola against NBA All-Star Stephon Marbury and Filipino All-Stars. The game will be on August 7, 2013 at the Asian Institute of Maritime Studies in Pasay City and will give fans a chance to gauge Barako Bull's preparations for the 2013 Governors' Cup. READ MORE
    Excuse, I am not that familiar of you, I am confused about that 'fans' what do you do? Are you a celebrity?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    "When I cry, it is not because I lost. It is because I won. I never lost. I always get up and move forward"

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

  14. #14
    Senior Member kaiziken_pinas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,949
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Servinio View Post


    THREE OF my lucky fans will get to join me at "A Day of Love". a charity exhibition game with the PBA's Barako Bull Energy Cola against NBA All-Star Stephon Marbury and Filipino All-Stars. The game will be on August 7, 2013 at the Asian Institute of Maritime Studies in Pasay City and will give fans a chance to gauge Barako Bull's preparations for the 2013 Governors' Cup. READ MORE
    Err... why schedule a charity game that runs smack during the FIBA Asia?

    Like us on Facebook! The Interbasket Philippines-run Basketball Facebook page!
    Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    I love you, Japeth Aguilar.

    Yup, i just did it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member balbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    439
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toikins View Post
    Excuse, I am not that familiar of you, I am confused about that 'fans' what do you do? Are you a celebrity?
    Chard knows free throws! aw sorry, wrong guy

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
    Err... why schedule a charity game that runs smack during the FIBA Asia?
    they're probably from BAP

  17. #17
    Senior Member digitalsuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bandung
    Posts
    3,343
    Country: Indonesia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
    Err... why schedule a charity game that runs smack during the FIBA Asia?
    Errr.. why not?
    I love my wife! She's the best gift god gave to me!

  18. #18
    Senior Member digitalsuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bandung
    Posts
    3,343
    Country: Indonesia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Todd Purves to begin stint as Petron coaching consultant in late July
    By Snow Badua
    July 03, 2013, 06:12 pm



    Coach Todd Purves is expected to join the Boosters after a two-week tour of duty with the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA summer league, where he is one of the team’s scouts. Jerome Ascano
    AMERICAN coach Todd Purves is set to arrive on the final week of July to take on his new role as Petron coaching consultant, but team insiders don't expect him to be holding the white board and designing plays when the Boosters begin their campaign in the PBA Governors Cup.

    The former Indonesia Warriors head coach is wrapping up a two-week tour of duty with the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA Summer League where he is one of the team's scouts, but is expected to arrive on July 27, possibly with Petron's import, Elijah Milsap, in tow.

    Purves will be joining a rejigged Petron coaching staff that is now led by Gee Abanilla and includes assistant coaches Koy Banal, Biboy Ravanes, and Leo Austria.

    Team insiders, however, expect him to be a lot more discreet than Rajko Toroman, who took on a similar role back when Olsen Racela was coaching the team during the Philippine Cup.

    “Hindi naman siya siguro magko-krokis (hold white board), hindi naman niya character yun,” said the team official. “Saka alam naman niya na hindi pa niya kilala ang strengths and weaknesses ng players, so I don’t think gagawin niya yun."

    The 43-year-old bench tactician has already agreed to move to Petron after a successful stint with the Warriors in the Asean Basketball League, where he led the team to a championship and a runner-up finish behind San Miguel over the last two years.

    Team insiders expect the former video researcher and advance scout for the Sacramento Kings to play a key role in Petron's bid to reclaim its status as one of the pro league's powers.

    “He’ll be a good addition, we expect to learn a lot from him,” said the source.

    Purves, the source added, might also be tapped to lead the San Miguel Beer-Philippines in the 2013 FIBA Asia Champions Cup in Jordan this September.

    SMB coach Austria will not be available for the club competition as he is still calling the shots for the Adamson Falcons in the UAAP during that time.

    Follow the writer on Twitter: @snowbadua


    http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball...-governors-cup
    i wonder if TP has already started working for petron. its almost august.
    I love my wife! She's the best gift god gave to me!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    774

    Default

    After a strong performance in the summer leagues, I think Tony Mitchell will get an invite to training camp in the NBA, hence putting his stint with TNT in doubt.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    http://http://www.spin.ph/sports/bas...-be-more-vocal

    Search for 'The Voice:' Racela wants San Mig's point guards to be more vocal
    By Richard Dy
    July 17, 2013, 05:48 pm


    THE first thing Olsen Racela observed the moment he assumed the role as one of Tim Cone’s deputies was the need for the Mixers’ young backcourt to be more vocal and lead the way.

    “They just have to be more vocal,” Racela said of the San Mig trio of Mark Barroca, and rookies Alex Mallari and Lester Alvarez.

    showbiz masyado title! They should include Bamboo, Sarah, Lea and APL lol
    #parasabayan
    #GoGilas

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •