The Ineligibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post
    How about Patrick Ewing Jr. of Jamaica? He is born outside Jamaica and his dad had played for the US despite having Jamaican lineage.
    Patrick Ewing Jr. is covered, a similar case with our Norwood. . . He has played for Jamaica since 2009 way long before FIBA implemented its under 16 rule.

Comment

PR also has a lot of state-side players. But it may be special case, as it is an "unincorporated part of the U.S." Still, maybe we can ask Fiba about this as well.

By the way, maybe PI can follow PR's example:

"Since 2007, the government of Puerto Rico has been granting Certificates of Puerto Rican citizenship to any person born on the island as well as to those born outside of the island that have at least one parent who was born on the island."

I understand application is very easy. This should also be given to 2nd generation fil-fors abroad. Since we follow "jus soli" we should actively promote that to our natural-born citizens born outside of the PI.

It may also eventually encourage our foreign-born kababayans to get Philippine passports, as they see their motherland calling out to them, seeking them out. And also, is may be argued that the certificate itself is valid evidence of nationality/citizenship, in lieu of the passport.

Comment

Originally posted by friedbrains View Post
        PR also has a lot of state-side players. But it may be special case, as it is an "unincorporated part of the U.S." Still, maybe we can ask Fiba about this as well.

By the way, maybe PI can follow PR's example:

"Since 2007, the government of Puerto Rico has been granting Certificates of Puerto Rican citizenship to any person born on the island as well as to those born outside of the island that have at least one parent who was born on the island."

I understand application is very easy. This should also be given to 2nd generation fil-fors abroad. Since we follow "jus soli" we should actively promote that to our natural-born citizens born outside of the PI.

It may also eventually encourage our foreign-born kababayans to get Philippine passports, as they see their motherland calling out to them, seeking them out. And also, is may be argued that the certificate itself is valid evidence of nationality/citizenship, in lieu of the passport.
        That special case also applied to the Philippines when it was a US colony, and could also apply to other territories under foreign rule, such as the U.S. Virgin Islands.

As far as I know, we don't have a provision for citizenship certificates similar to what Puerto Rico has. BTW, PR voted to become a US state like New York or Florida last year, but that plebiscite was non-binding.

By the way, I think you have jus sanguini and jus soli mixed up. We follow the former, not the latter.
        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by kerouac82 View Post
          That special case also applied to the Philippines when it was a US colony, and could also apply to other territories under foreign rule, such as the U.S. Virgin Islands.

As far as I know, we don't have a provision for citizenship certificates similar to what Puerto Rico has. BTW, PR voted to become a US state like New York or Florida last year, but that plebiscite was non-binding.

By the way, I think you have jus sanguini and jus soli mixed up. We follow the former, not the latter.
          Yes, I meant "sanguinis" but put "soli" instead.

PR's case may be special, but if they can really do that, then that means they have unfair advantage over other countries. I believe this can also be raised with FIBA, so that the rules can be refined to make the rules more fair and equitable.

However, based on my reading of the FIBA rules, state-side born PR can play with the PR national team, but only 1 player at a time (unless they have proof of citizenship before they turned 16). I may be wrong though, and my interpretation obviously is a strict one.

Comment

Stupid Roster Suggestions are cropping up again.

This thread is bumped solely for your stupidity. Read the Ineligibles List first so you won't be called in future replies.
            If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Thank God for the thread starter.

Comment

What are guys like Stanley Pringle, Julius Armon and Moala Tautua doing nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by greenarcher View Post
                  What are guys like Stanley Pringle, Julius Armon and Moala Tautua doing nowadays?
                  Waiting for ABL to start on july?
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

We've been talking eligibility status of players like Slaughter, Lassiter and Lutz but until now there's no official statement from FIBA nor from SBP that they are ineligibles. What we got are speculations and some second-hand information from our so called "Gilas insiders". . .

Comment

• Originally posted by FilWelsh View Post
                      We've been talking eligibility status of players like Slaughter, Lassiter and Lutz but until now there's no official statement from FIBA nor from SBP that they are ineligibles. What we got are speculations and some second-hand information from our so called "Gilas insiders". . .
                      I don't know if this counts but Chot Reyes, being the head coach of Gilas, has confirmed in a tweet a few months back that Greg is eligible to play for our country.

Comment

• Originally posted by lovejones View Post
                        I don't know if this counts but Chot Reyes, being the head coach of Gilas, has confirmed in a tweet a few months back that Greg is eligible to play for our country.
                        Forumers here dont believe chot

Comment

• Originally posted by lovejones View Post
                          Best case an asterisked at this point. i think the tweet neither confirmed nor denied... Still, until Nardy confirms it, he's an asterisked
                          If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                            Best case an asterisked at this point. i think the tweet neither confirmed nor denied... Still, until Nardy confirms it, he's an asterisked
                            enzo flojo @hoopnut
                            @coachot @charlestiu sirs! Question: lutz, lassiter, hodge, ellis, greg, avo -- eligible for Gilas in future events or not?

Chot Reyes @coachot
                            @hoopnut Lutz, Lassiter, Greg baka. AVO i dunno -- the others, no

Comment

• I really hope that AVO is eligible and I would guess he is. His mom after all was a career DFA employee and once worked in the DFA as the freaking head of the Machine Readable Passport Personalization Center.

Arnold Van Opstal or AVO will play for the De La Salle University senior varsity basketball team in the UAAP next season and along Taft Avenue, the word is he’s the Great Green Hope.

Comment

• even if they're ineligibles still the Gilas future is bright

i still believe with our teams collective heart with or without these foreign-blood players

Pingris is not that tall for a PF player but he beats anybody in the court vs Sakuragi and Japan's twin towers, vs Korea vs Qatar, and he also played well vs Iran, same with RDO which are guys below the shoulders of other teams (except Japeth) but they still have a good show against them so if you ask me it's fine if they're ineligible....not our loss but theirs for not playing for our country
                                Change has come

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information