Page 8 of 159 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 3180

Thread: 2013 PBA Commisioners Cup

  1. #141
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    6,540
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball...ced-conference

    Talk and text already has an import, his name is Keith Benson. He was drafted last year and is a top notch shot blocker. He has good size, but is really thin. Will be intresting to see how he plays with this squad and how he will adjust to the physicality of the PBA.

    One thing i have noticed, the imports are slowly becoming younger and younger. I dunno if its a good sign or not
    the younger, the better. Oh, i remember Parada who i think is more than 30. And the rest is below 30's.
    See You In #SPAIN2014

    See you In #DUBAI2014

  2. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Im just excited to see how Fajardo can matchup against people his size and who are fringe NBA players

  3. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    894
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Robert Dozier is a newcomer at Alaska Aces - Jan 20, 2013
    http://www.eurobasket.com/France/bas...?NewsID=304482

    Alaska Aces (PBA) added to their roster 28-year old French forward Robert Dozier (206-102kg-85, college: Memphis). He already started the season at Cajasol in Spanish ACB league. In four games this season he recorded 8.8ppg, 5.5rpg and 1.3bpg. Dozier also played 3 games in Eurocup where he averaged 11.3ppg, 4.3rpg, 1.3apg, 1.3spg and 1.0bpg. He also spent pre-season at the Heat (NBA) in NBA earlier that year. The last season Dozier played at Cholet Basket (ProA) in French ProA. In 22 games last year he averaged 9.5ppg, 5.4rpg and 1.1apg. He helped them to make it to the cup semifinals.
    The previous (10-11) season Dozier played at PAOK Thessaloniki (A1) in Greek A1. In 33 games that season he averaged 10.7ppg, 6.3rpg and 1.5apg. He contributed to his team making it to the semifinals. A very spectacular season in his career as he was voted to Eurobasket.com All-Greek A1 League Honorable Mention. Dozier also played 5 games in Eurocup where he averaged 10.8ppg, 5.0rpg, 1.0apg and 1.4spg.
    In 2009 he was drafted by Miami Heat (NBA) in second round (60th overall). The former University of Memphis star is in his fourth season in pro basketball.
    The list of the past achievements is quite long as his college team won C-USA Tournament for four years in a row (between 2006 and 2009).
    Dozier has played also professionally in Greece (Kolossos).
    The scouts decsribe him following way: A terrific finisher around the rim ... Has range out to the three-point line, but is better from the mid-range and in ... Has 7-foot-3 wingspan that he uses to his advantage ... Has ability to keep possessions alive by offensive rebounds/tips with his length ... Also able to block and alter shots on the defensive end with his wingspan.
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

  4. #144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    Robert Dozier is a newcomer at Alaska Aces - Jan 20, 2013
    http://www.eurobasket.com/France/bas...?NewsID=304482

    Alaska Aces (PBA) added to their roster 28-year old French forward Robert Dozier (206-102kg-85, college: Memphis). He already started the season at Cajasol in Spanish ACB league. In four games this season he recorded 8.8ppg, 5.5rpg and 1.3bpg. Dozier also played 3 games in Eurocup where he averaged 11.3ppg, 4.3rpg, 1.3apg, 1.3spg and 1.0bpg. He also spent pre-season at the Heat (NBA) in NBA earlier that year. The last season Dozier played at Cholet Basket (ProA) in French ProA. In 22 games last year he averaged 9.5ppg, 5.4rpg and 1.1apg. He helped them to make it to the cup semifinals.
    The previous (10-11) season Dozier played at PAOK Thessaloniki (A1) in Greek A1. In 33 games that season he averaged 10.7ppg, 6.3rpg and 1.5apg. He contributed to his team making it to the semifinals. A very spectacular season in his career as he was voted to Eurobasket.com All-Greek A1 League Honorable Mention. Dozier also played 5 games in Eurocup where he averaged 10.8ppg, 5.0rpg, 1.0apg and 1.4spg.
    In 2009 he was drafted by Miami Heat (NBA) in second round (60th overall). The former University of Memphis star is in his fourth season in pro basketball.
    The list of the past achievements is quite long as his college team won C-USA Tournament for four years in a row (between 2006 and 2009).
    Dozier has played also professionally in Greece (Kolossos).
    The scouts decsribe him following way: A terrific finisher around the rim ... Has range out to the three-point line, but is better from the mid-range and in ... Has 7-foot-3 wingspan that he uses to his advantage ... Has ability to keep possessions alive by offensive rebounds/tips with his length ... Also able to block and alter shots on the defensive end with his wingspan.
    Dozier is already 28? He played with Joey Dorsey and Derrick Rose and CDR in Memphis right?

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,186
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    The confy with outstanding and highly skilled imports will surely be a blast. Expect the gate attendance and television ratings rise and exceed previous commissioners cup conference.

  6. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Zona Norte
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Just saw Batang Pier play yesterday at MIT for an exhibition game. Justin Williams is a good defender but not that strong. He's a bit skinny and i don't think he'll last in the PBA. Mukhang maagang uuwi ito.
    "Tamaan kung tamaan, kasama sa basketball yan. Kung ayaw mo maglaro ka nalang ng chess" - Rico Maierhofer

  7. #147
    Senior Member durden_tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,352

    Default

    Almost a week away from opening day. Mods you can sticky this thread now


    COFFEE MIXERS START COMM’S CUP DEFENSE ON OPENING NIGHT

    The Mixers and the Energy Cola clash at 7:30 p.m. after the 5:15 p.m. curtainraiser between Globalport and Petron Blaze on opening day of the mid-season tourney won by San Mig Coffee (then carrying the banner of B-Meg) over Talk n Text in a classic seven-game title duel last year.

    The Tropang Texters and the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters, the title protagonists in the recent Philippine Cup, return to action in the second conference opposite the Meralco Bolts and the Alaska Aces, respectively, on Feb. 9.

    Barangay Ginebra and Air21 will be up against each other in their Commissioner’s Cup debuts on Feb. 10.

    Tournament format is a shortened Philippine Cup where the 10 teams figure in single round-robin preliminaries with the best eight advancing to the quarterfinals.

    The top two teams enjoy a twice-to-beat edge over the eighth and seventh seeds in the quarters, and it’s No. 3 versus No. 6 and No. 4 against No. 5 in a pair of best-of-three duels.

    The four survivors slug it out in best-of-seven showdowns with the finale also a race-to-four-wins affair.

    The short elimination phase features road sorties in Puerto Princesa, Palawan; Tubod, Lanao del Norte; Naga City; Legazpi, Albay; and Panabo, Davao del Norte.

    Aside from Rogers, other imports strutting their stuff on opening day are Petron’s Renaldo Balkman, Globalport’s Justin Williams and Barako’s Evan Brock.

    San Mig Coffee, Petron and Barako Bull show up with new faces in their rosters.

    The Mixers unveil Alex Mallari, Leo Najorda and Lester Alvarez, the Boosters welcome to their fold Ronald Tubid while the Energy Cola parade Allein Maliksi, JC Intal, Jonas Villanueva and Jojo Duncil.

    Barako also has a new man at the helm in Rajko Toroman. (SB)
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

    SMALLBALL, bitches..

  8. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Fan's heart
    Posts
    326
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Anybody out there who is kind enough to post a list of the imports of each team?
    some background like where they previously played and their stats in there. Thank you.
    They call me THE HERO.

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Tnt - keith benson
    Ala - robert dozier
    Smc - matt rogers
    Ros - bruno sundov
    Mer - eric dawson
    Gin - herbert hill
    Pet - renaldo balkman
    Air - michael dunigan
    Bar - evan brock
    Glo - justin williams

    For their credentials, just google it...

  10. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ticket View Post
    Tnt - keith benson
    Ala - robert dozier
    Smc - matt rogers
    Ros - bruno sundov
    Mer - eric dawson
    Gin - herbert hill
    Pet - renaldo balkman
    Air - michael dunigan
    Bar - evan brock
    Glo - justin williams

    For their credentials, just google it...
    From the players above, Dunigan would be the one to look forward to. A surprise being kept oh so secretly under wraps.

    Quote Originally Posted by startupsold View Post
    Why would tubid plead on behalf of his teammates, it simply means some of the 'veterans' are not fond of 'euro style' training.
    No problem so far with Toroman's system at Barako Bull. His style where there is no single superstar in fact is being appreciated by the players. Even HC Bong Ramos appreciates having Toroman with the team and admits he is learning a LOT from the Serbian coach.

    The only one he still does not see eye-to-eye with is Roger Yap. But of course, that has gone on for a long time, and began even before the two were part of BBEC.

    Can't wait for the 8th!
    Last edited by Jordan Bruiseter; 02-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.

  11. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Team to Beat: TNT
    Dark Horse: Global Port
    Worst Team: Air 21
    1st Import to go: Matt Rogers
    #parasabayan
    #GoGilas

  12. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricodgame View Post
    Team to Beat: TNT
    Dark Horse: Global Port
    Worst Team: Air 21
    1st Import to go: Matt Rogers
    Worst team: Toss up between Barako ,Meralco and surprise surprise still Global port(monitor their record against SMC teams)

    Surprise Teams: Air 21..(especially if they can snag Ronjay as Nonoy Band John Wilson will not flourish in the Air 21 sytem)

    Strong teams: Tnt, Petron

  13. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,909
    Country: Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    How come there's no feedback on TNT and ROS's imports?

  14. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    726
    Country: Liechtenstein

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Worst team: Toss up between Barako ,Meralco and surprise surprise still Global port(monitor their record against SMC teams)
    Not only Global Port, monitor ex-smc players when they play against smc teams.

  15. #155
    Senior Member durden_tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fellyx View Post
    Your PBA 2013 Commissioner's Cup Team Imports!
    Official PBA Measurement:
    1. Michael Dunigan, Air21 - 6'8 13/16"
    2. Robert Dozier, Alaska - 6'8 3/4"
    3. Evan Brock, Barako - 6'8 1/2"
    4. Herbert Hill, Ginebra - 6'8 3/4"
    5. Justin Williams, Globalport - 6'8"
    6. Eric Dawson, Meralco - 6'7 13/16"
    7. Renaldo Balkman, Petron - 6'6"
    8. Bruno Sundov, Rain or Shine - 7'2 3/4"
    9. Matt Rogers, Sanmig - 6'9 1/4"
    10. Keith Benson, Talk N' Text - 6'11"
    And it's true once again, they do pad up their height in the NBA

    i guess an inch or two can be the difference-maker in getting drafted/gettting that contract.

    Balkman listed at 6 foot 8: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/renaldo_balkman/

    And Justin Williams listed at 6 foot 10: http://www.nba.com/historical/player...ustin_williams
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

    SMALLBALL, bitches..

  16. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,869

    Default

    Balkman is really small.. but coaches wonder why he seems to fit perfectly and show good stats for the team. Afterall he got to the big league because of his agent is also the agent of Lebron's

  17. #157
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    And it's true once again, they do pad up their height in the NBA

    i guess an inch or two can be the difference-maker in getting drafted/gettting that contract.

    Balkman listed at 6 foot 8: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/renaldo_balkman/

    And Justin Williams listed at 6 foot 10: http://www.nba.com/historical/player...ustin_williams
    The logic these guys normally apply when doing this is that they were measured with their shoes on. That's an additional 2" right off. And their argument may be sound, since they do play with shoes on.

    But I like the PBA's version of getting measured with their real height - no shoes on.

    Curiously, Bruno Sundov of Rain or Shine is measured the same (or nearly the same) as his listed height of 7'3 - just a fraction of an inch really. Players pad their heights to make them marketable in the NBA - a 6'8 forward will always sound better than a 6'6. In Sundov's case, since he's past 7 feet, he doesn't have to pad his height anymore to gain marketability.

  18. #158
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Balkman is really small.. but coaches wonder why he seems to fit perfectly and show good stats for the team. Afterall he got to the big league because of his agent is also the agent of Lebron's
    Huge tradeoff on Petron's part to get the smallest, and yet, arguably the most athletic import around. Balkman's presence would mean that there won't be any local player who can stop him. It would need another import to take the defensive cudgels but would they have the speed to match up against Balkman?

    This was the same gambit taken by Rain or Shine last year. Originally, the E-Painters were supposed to tap former Phoenix Suns 6'11 center Jake Voskuhl. But they decided to cut him even before the start of last season's Commissioner's Cup to replace him with the shortest in the field - the 6'8 Duke Crews. Eventually, ROS didn't do well, and failed to make past the quarterfinal round.

    The difference though is the local crew. Petron has several local players who can step up the plate, and with Balkman leading the offense, he can rely on Junmar Fajardo inside the paint. Crews didn't have a big man who can give him the ball after the rebound.

    It'll also serve as a good test for Fajardo and see how he'll fare against imports as tall or even taller than him. This is his best opportunity to prove his worth.

    Speaking of Balkman though, he really needs to toughen up. He'll probably be the most "battered" import in the conference as players won't hesitate to make him "feel their presence."

  19. #159
    Senior Member durden_tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Huge tradeoff on Petron's part to get the smallest, and yet, arguably the most athletic import around. Balkman's presence would mean that there won't be any local player who can stop him. It would need another import to take the defensive cudgels but would they have the speed to match up against Balkman?

    This was the same gambit taken by Rain or Shine last year. Originally, the E-Painters were supposed to tap former Phoenix Suns 6'11 center Jake Voskuhl. But they decided to cut him even before the start of last season's Commissioner's Cup to replace him with the shortest in the field - the 6'8 Duke Crews. Eventually, ROS didn't do well, and failed to make past the quarterfinal round.

    The difference though is the local crew. Petron has several local players who can step up the plate, and with Balkman leading the offense, he can rely on Junmar Fajardo inside the paint. Crews didn't have a big man who can give him the ball after the rebound.

    It'll also serve as a good test for Fajardo and see how he'll fare against imports as tall or even taller than him. This is his best opportunity to prove his worth.

    Speaking of Balkman though, he really needs to toughen up. He'll probably be the most "battered" import in the conference as players won't hesitate to make him "feel their presence."
    It's a great decision to get a smaller import short-term and long-term. You've mentioned the short-term (yes we already have Fajardo and Pena and others) and long-term is to continue developing Fajardo as a real C.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

    SMALLBALL, bitches..

  20. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,909
    Country: Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    The upcoming conference will indeed be a good training ground for Junemar. I hope he gets a lot of minutes and a lot of exposure/good experience against the imports.

    If only Slaughter can play this conference, that will bring wonders too.

Page 8 of 159 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •