2013 PBA Commisioners Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by budz17 View Post
    third referee suspension this conference, what's happening to the refs? still its a loss for air21 in the standings even with this suspension. pba should offer more than just suspensions for the affected teams.
    and to think that it's his 2nd suspension, I read somewhere that he's also the ref who didnt call rob reyes flagrant on abueva last confe

Comment

• Here's a different approach in using statistics and numbers in coming up with a game analysis:

The top two teams in the PBA, the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters and the Alaska Aces, clash on Friday, and with both sides sporting 8-3 records heading into the final stretch of the Commissioner's Cup elimination round, saying that this game is going to be "fiercely contested" is probably an understatement.

Extremely impressive article written by Nico Baguio here. Solidly written and well-founded analysis.

It's a product not unlike that of a bean counter - where numbers are used as basis in knowing the outcome of the game.

These are worthy stats - the kind coaches would want to have beside them when figuring out their strategies. It's not like what Fidel Mangonon churns out every now and then - having all the data in the world but not knowing how to use these as a numbers analyst would do. Totally irrelevant figures really - especially since coaches already know these even before the post-game interview comes in.

These are the numbers that matter. It churns out figures that tell the true strong and weak points of a team. A classic example was how the writer made a conclusion that Alaska sacrifices its offensive rebounding to make sure their transition defense is set to prevent the opponent's fastbreaks. And since ROS is noted for this type of game, Alaska's strength in this area can surely be used as a worthy study for both coaches to come up with the right plays for tomorrow's game.

Props to Nico Baguio with this article. Hope we have more of these in the future...

Comment

• got this from facebook.

before he became his teammate, he was a just small kid with big dreams.

18700_613742005302515_1323166647_n.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by lovejones View Post
          got this from facebook.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5262[/ATTACH]
          And he posted a "new" Seigle+Monfort right after tweeting this. The picture is gold actually.
          If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Originally posted by lovejones View Post
            got this from facebook.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5262[/ATTACH]
            is that monfort?

Comment

• Originally posted by weward View Post
              is that monfort?
              It's Seigle...

Comment

• Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                And he posted a "new" Seigle+Monfort right after tweeting this. The picture is gold actually.
                That's how old seigle is is there a pic of pennisi carrying monfort as a toddler?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jojo Alejar View Post
                  That's how old seigle is is there a pic of pennisi carrying monfort as a toddler?
                  guys, monfort was already 16 in that pic...hehe

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                    Here's a different approach in using statistics and numbers in coming up with a game analysis:

The top two teams in the PBA, the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters and the Alaska Aces, clash on Friday, and with both sides sporting 8-3 records heading into the final stretch of the Commissioner's Cup elimination round, saying that this game is going to be "fiercely contested" is probably an understatement.

Extremely impressive article written by Nico Baguio here. Solidly written and well-founded analysis.

It's a product not unlike that of a bean counter - where numbers are used as basis in knowing the outcome of the game.

These are worthy stats - the kind coaches would want to have beside them when figuring out their strategies. It's not like what Fidel Mangonon churns out every now and then - having all the data in the world but not knowing how to use these as a numbers analyst would do. Totally irrelevant figures really - especially since coaches already know these even before the post-game interview comes in.

These are the numbers that matter. It churns out figures that tell the true strong and weak points of a team. A classic example was how the writer made a conclusion that Alaska sacrifices its offensive rebounding to make sure their transition defense is set to prevent the opponent's fastbreaks. And since ROS is noted for this type of game, Alaska's strength in this area can surely be used as a worthy study for both coaches to come up with the right plays for tomorrow's game.

Props to Nico Baguio with this article. Hope we have more of these in the future...
                    Where the "PBA media" has fallen behind is the use of statistics to read into the game itself. Unlike NBA bloggers in the USA who utilize all the tools (Synergy, Basketball-Reference, the new NBA.com statistics page (super awesome btw) just to name a few) they have to analyze games and present proper analysis, we're still too often stuck here with uninformative recaps of games that focus on flowery descriptions (15 caroms (just use rebounds); 10 helpers (just say assists) (Apologies as it's a pet peeve of mine).

You're right Jay, hoping we have more articles like this which not only recap the game, but also show the statistics that helped turn the game either in the favor/not in the favor of the winning/losing teams. I'd like their to be more examples of how usage rates and pace/possessions of every team affect the outcome of games. Give us stats that correlate to what happens with let's say, Global Port and their huge drop off. Who's having a positive effect on the game? Which is their best line up? Things like that would go far to make the games more interesting. I'm sure PBA teams utilize these stats to their advantage (at least I hope they do). It would be nice to give fans some of that perspective as well.
                    Credit goes to CKR13 for this! Thanks so much!

Comment

Here's a different approach in using statistics and numbers in coming up with a game analysis:

The most important test of any type of analysis is how well it performs in the real world, and that means how his predictions really hold up to the actual results.

I would like to see him have a database of his predictions, and then compare it with actual results. From there we can see how accurate his system is. I don't expect it to be 100% (or else he'd be centi-millionaire by now), but a better than 55% chance is fair. Any higher than that and it is should be very good, indeed.
                      Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

Interesting stats and article indeed, while we're talking about stats and the strengths and weaknesses of a team. What is Chot's Gilas 2 team strengths and identify as a team in context of Asian NT's. I know Jong Uichico's 2002 team played a very deliberate and defensive oriented game, limiting posessions, the logic being if you can shorten the game and possessions the better chance you have staying with explosive offensive teams like China and Korea.
                        Sometimes points allowed can be very deceiving as it could be more a reflection of "pace" that a team prefers rather than true defensive competence. A better stat and measurement is points allowed per 100 possesions. If you notice good teams like Miami and Jordan former Bulls, while they were not good at keeping the score down due to their own fast pace they where very good defensive teams. Using points alllowed per 100 possesion would bare this out.

This is my concern with the NT, while we rely on speed and can take more shots with Chot's DDO system. will we be able to "defend" efficiently (% of stops/possession). Right now I still don't see how we can be proficient in this area (defense) . Chot has yet to build a defensive philosophy. (e.g Press, defend the 3 point line, or pack it in the paint to limit posessions via good rebounding . I really don't think we can outscore teams, we don't have enough firepower to match guns vs guns. At this point this is not about personnel or line-up. but team defensive philosophy , focus on extending the defense or packing it in. ? we really have to play this smart. but also good defense is not built overnight. I'm a little concerned that we might not have enough time to develop a good defensive system. I don't believe that even our players know what our defensive system and focus is ?
                        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• The fatty import agent is now bombarding Gabe Freeman on twitter.

I think some clients are now negotiating directly.(sample Mbenga, Barako did the negotiation directly instead of this agent, maybe the girl is inflating the salary too much

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurami View Post
                            The fatty import agent is now bombarding Gabe Freeman on twitter.

I think some clients are now negotiating directly.(sample Mbenga, Barako directly did the negotiation instead of this agent, maybe the girl is inflating the salary
                            Man I really abhor Sheryl Reyes. What a douchebag.
                            Credit goes to CKR13 for this! Thanks so much!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurami View Post
                              The fatty import agent is now bombarding Gabe Freeman on twitter.

I think some clients are now negotiating directly.(sample Mbenga, Barako directly did the negotiation instead of this agent, maybe the girl is inflating the salary
                              No team, no money
                              Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Is it just me or did Sheryl Reyes just popped up out of nowhere? I mean I don't remember seeing her name 3 years ago.

Who the heck is this annoying agent?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information