No announcement yet.

2014 Team USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With a player pool reported to be 30-33 next year, I wonder if collegiate standouts will also be called up? 2012 saw the late inclusion of Anthony Davis who was an impending rookie. This year with the Las Vegas showcase, Doug Mcdermott and Marcus Smart were invited.

Makes me think that the likes of Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle and Doug McDermott could be invited for next year's pool.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
      With a player pool reported to be 30-33 next year, I wonder if collegiate standouts will also be called up? 2012 saw the late inclusion of Anthony Davis who was an impending rookie. This year with the Las Vegas showcase, Doug Mcdermott and Marcus Smart were invited.

Makes me think that the likes of Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle and Doug McDermott could be invited for next year's pool.
      I could definitely see the players you listed being invited. Parker and Smart in particular have been stellar for Team USA in the past. None of these guys will make the team though. When Anthony Davis made the team in 2012 it was under unique circumstances- we had lost a number of big men to injuries and didn't have the depth at that position in the player pool to select a worthy NBA candidate. Parker, Smart, Randle and McDermott all play positions where we have a number of great players. I'd love to see them in the pool though, could see all of them (McDermott a long shot though) making Team USA in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorCal View Post
        I could definitely see the players you listed being invited. Parker and Smart in particular have been stellar for Team USA in the past. None of these guys will make the team though. When Anthony Davis made the team in 2012 it was under unique circumstances- we had lost a number of big men to injuries and didn't have the depth at that position in the player pool to select a worthy NBA candidate. Parker, Smart, Randle and McDermott all play positions where we have a number of great players. I'd love to see them in the pool though, could see all of them (McDermott a long shot though) making Team USA in the future.
        Thanks! I hope when Jabari Parker or Marcus Smart are invited, they get the most out of it and elevate their game further.
        Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Happy with this. Rising star of the Indiana Pacers, Paul George is willing to suit up.

Pacers' Paul George would love to play for Team USA basketball
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Thanks for that wonderful information its good to have such discussion boards from which information can be easily transferred

Comment

• After missing the London Olympics with a back injury, Dwight Howard of the Houston Rockets is part of the Team USA pool.

Last edited by CKR13; 01-23-2014, 07:35 AM.
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

• The duo of Lamarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard are said to be strong consideration for an invite on camp of Team USA.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Also, a tweet by Stein of ESPN reports that Demarcus Cousins and Stephen Curry are on the mix for the pool.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Kyle Korver of the Atlanta Hawks and Gordon Hayward of the Utah Jazz are said to be getting invites.

Korver's three point shooting since December landed him consideration while Hayward has improved in several facets against the somewhat silence behind the Jazz this year.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

• ESPN | USA hoops to reveal 28-player pool

1 LeBron James
                      2 Demarcus Cousins
                      3 Kyle Korver
                      4 Chris Paul
                      5 Carmelo Anthony
                      6 Derrick Rose
                      7 Russell Westbrook
                      8 Kevin Durant
                      9 Kevin Love
                      10 James Harden
                      11 Dwight Howard
                      12 Stephen Curry
                      13 Deron Williams
                      14 Tyson Chandler
                      15 Andre Iguodala
                      16 Anthony Davis
                      17 Paul George
                      18 Blake Griffin
                      19 LaMarcus Aldridge
                      20 Kyrie Irving
                      21 Damian Lillard
                      22 Andre Drummond
                      23 Bradley Beal
                      24 Gordon Hayward
                      25 Klay Thompson
                      26 Kenneth Faried
                      27 Kawhi Leonard
                      28 David Lee
                      Last edited by CKR13; 01-23-2014, 02:54 AM.
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

• USA Basketball Official press:

Sacramento Kings

Comment

• As expected, the elite names in the pool are not inclined to play in Spain for the FIBA World Cup.

Carmelo Anthony - http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...14-fiba-worlds

Deron Williams - http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/bro...espnapi_public
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Derrick Rose is still interested despite his chances in attending training camp and making the 12 man roster would depend on his health.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

• So, if I'm correct, the players who will not participate in the World Cup are James, Paul, Anthony and Williams.

Furthermore, both Rose and Westbrook might not participate due to injury issues.

Assuming the rest are in play, does this seem like a realistic roster?

1. Curry, Lillard, Irving
                              2. Harden, Thompson
                              3. Durant, George
                              4. Love, Aldridge, Griffin
                              5. Howard, Davis

Here are some assumptions I'm working off of...

1. The rumors regarding Howard and Harden wanting to participate are true.

2. Aldridge is a lock and they'll want Griffin there as well.

3. They'll give Irving a spot despite him not having the best year thus far.

Anyone see any problems with the lineup or my assumptions? How do you feel this group compares to the past two World Championship rosters?

For the record, I'd really hope that Westbrook heals up and decides to participate.

Edit: Just saw the article below from Marc Stein at ESPN that suggests nearly the identical roster to what I have so perhaps I'm on the money here. The only question he has is whether it'll be Thompson, Iguodala or Korver taking the last spot.

Link
                              Last edited by cagney; 01-24-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• I like your lineup of:

Curry, Lillard, Irving
                                Harden, Thompson
                                Durant, George
                                Love, Aldridge, Griffin
                                Howard, Davis

I feel that Irving will get a nod for the final 12 with Coach K and him having history.

This team will be competitive despite lacking James, Anthony and Paul as those guys maybe lined up for 2016 Rio. But this team is much more experienced compared to the 2010 world championship team.

For my part, I would pick Klay Thompson over Korver due to Thompson's improved defense when it comes to straight man up, switch and quick coverage.
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information