Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Greek NT

Default 2013 Greek NT

Hi All,

Just in regards to the next Greek national team basketball coach when is that going to be announced?

Any recent rumours on who the new coach might be?

http://www.superbasket.gr/permalink/171642.html

Zouros has been fired. The new coach will be announced at new year's day. He will work part time for the NT since all potential candidates have contracts with club teams already and this will also lower the economic burden of the federation.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 11-20-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Hellas Youtube Full-Game Video Collection
    Panagiotis Giannakis: "η άμυνα είναι λεφτά στην τράπεζα και η επίθεση λεφτά στο χρηματιστήριο"

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    http://www.superbasket.gr/permalink/171642.html

Zouros has been fired. The new coach will be announced at new year's day. He will work part time for the NT since all potential candidates have contracts with club teams already and this will also lower the economic burden of the federation.
    So, no Obradovic or Itoudis.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Itoudis is not speaking to Spanoulis, so i guess this makes it VERY difficult

Cantù's coach, Andrea Trinchieri, to coach Greece for the next 2 years... agreement almost done.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicity View Post
    Cantù's coach, Andrea Trinchieri, to coach Greece for the next 2 years... agreement almost done.
    Thats the end of the world as we know it!
    Panagiotis Giannakis: "η άμυνα είναι λεφτά στην τράπεζα και η επίθεση λεφτά στο χρηματιστήριο"

Thats the end of the world as we know it!
    Why?

I think Trinchieri will surprise a lot of people as he's a rising coach in all Europe... he just needs some time to create the right system and build chemistry in the team.

I hope he'll do fine... but right after the game against Italy...

Why?
    I think Trinchieri will surprise a lot of people as he's a rising coach in all Europe... he just needs some time to create the right system and build chemistry in the team.
    I hope he'll do fine... but right after the game against Italy...
    It might be that Trincheri is a very competent coach but he has zero experience on national team level.
    The greek national team on the other hand has a heavy tradition and the fact that this team has to be coached by a "noname" is one more proof for the descent of everything in Greece.

It might be that Trincheri is a very competent coach but he has zero experience on national team level.
    The greek national team on the other hand has a heavy tradition and the fact that this team has to be coached by a "noname" is one more proof for the descent of everything in Greece.
    Well, obviously Greek Federation hadn't much money to try to bring a top level class and known coach... but, again, it's not always the name that makes a coach able or unable... BTW Andrea has shown something in the last three years (both in italian and euro league) with limited budget and i think he may become a top level euro coach in the future...

BTW Andrea has shown something in the last three years (both in italian and euro league) with limited budget and i think he may become a top level euro coach in the future...
    I think "something" is not enough! I doubt that he will be succesful. On the contrary I think that Greece will hit rock bottom this year and that Greece will not survive the group phase in the EC.

I think "something" is not enough! I doubt that he will be succesful. On the contrary I think that Greece will hit rock bottom this year and that Greece will not survive the group phase in the EC.
    Anything is possible, but I think you have to be more open minded here. Roster wise Greece has an excellent squad. I have a hard time trying to detect a weakness. I would say that Greece is a bit inexperienced if players like Mantzaris or Sloukas will join. IMO they should mature more before playing for the NT, regardless of how good they are performing.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Anything is possible, but I think you have to be more open minded here. Roster wise Greece has an excellent squad. I have a hard time trying to detect a weakness. I would say that Greece is a bit inexperienced if players like Mantzaris or Sloukas will join. IMO they should mature more before playing for the NT, regardless of how good they are performing.
    The reasoning behind my statement is that it has still to be proven that the NT respects and obeys a foreign coach. Actually to be more precise it has to be proven that the NT will respect any coach other than Giannakis. Even Giannakis was not always respected as NT coach by some players. I remember Papadopoulos behavior in the bronze medal game in the EC 2007. In the OQT Zouros was not able to convince Spanoulis and Printezis of the necessity to play defense and he could not help Bouroussis to focus on the team strategy. I do not question Coach T's competence but I question the mentality of the greek players. They will not respect a noname. And as a result they will fail.

The reasoning behind my statement is that it has still to be proven that the NT respects and obeys a foreign coach. Actually to be more precise it has to be proven that the NT will respect any coach other than Giannakis. Even Giannakis was not always respected as NT coach by some players. I remember Papadopoulos behavior in the bronze medal game in the EC 2007. In the OQT Zouros was not able to convince Spanoulis and Printezis of the necessity to play defense and he could not help Bouroussis to focus on the team strategy. I do not question Coach T's competence but I question the mentality of the greek players. They will not respect a noname. And as a result they will fail.
    So if that's the problem, maybe you should have signed Obradovic and few else... but without a decent budget i guess it's not possible...

And Zouros was a big name? What was his experience on NTs?

Vote for the great Nikos Galis into the Basketball Hall of Fame

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/ball...ame-ballot#top

Quote Originally Posted by KWSN-Men View Post
    And Zouros was a big name? What was his experience on NTs?
    No Zouros literaly was not a big name and he proved that completely. But even Zouros had some experience with the NT as assistant coach of Petropoloulos in 1999.

No Zouros literaly was not a big name and he proved that completely. But even Zouros had some experience with the NT as assistant coach of Petropoloulos in 1999.
    And how succesful he was. Petropoulos.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    And how succesful he was. Petropoulos.
    I would say, that Zouros worked hard to keep the same level of success like his mentor Petropoulos

Actually Petropoulos got a second chance and returned one year later with Sfairopolous as assistant coach, to fail in the same miserable way.
    Initially I was fearing that the federation will follow the same path again, first Zouros, then Sfairopoulos. This time as head coach of course
    But now we got Coach K...
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 03-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Ok after some time had passed i want to ask Greece fans.Which coaches work Kazlauskas or Zourus job you like more?

Default Team Composition: Predictions

So as we approach the summer, it is time to speculate on the composition of the Greek NT. Here are the positional rankings at the moment, as I see them. Thoughts?

PG: Calathes, Mantzaris, Zisis, Katsivelis
    SG: Spanoulis, Vasiliadis, Pappas, Sloukas
    SF: Papanikolaou, Bramos, Perperoglou, Giankovits
    PF: Printezis, Kaimakoglou, Fotsis, Kavvadas
    C: Bourousis, Koufos, Schortsanitis, Vougioukas, Mavroidis

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast