Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart Gilas at the FIBA Asia Cup (Sep. 14-22)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVP laments FIBA Asia board's 'nonsensical' decision
    By: Nelson Beltran

star23.jpg

TOKYO – SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan considered “nonsensical” the decision made by the FIBA Asia Executive Board declaring Lebanon the site of the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship when the cage body was not sure of Lebanon’s readiness to stage the event.

Pangilinan expressed extreme disappointment the merits and demerits of competing proposals were not considered and weighed.

And with the Philippines made a spare tire, Pangilinan said they would reconsider their position if not given proper advise in time.

The FIBA Asia Executive Board yesterday awarded to Lebanon the hosting rights for the next Asian meet that serves as the regional qualifier for the 2014 FIBA World Cup.

FIBA Asia secretary general Hagop Khajirian, a Lebanese, said it’s Lebanon but it goes to the Philippines if Lebanon can’t make it.

Lebanon also won the bidding war for the 2011 championship that it later yielded and consequently went to Wuhan, China.

“The decision as we’re told does not make any sense at all. If FIBA Asia thought Lebanon were capable of hosting, then so be it. Why are we made a bridesmaid a spare part, the fifth wheel? It certainly gives the impression that FIBA wasn’t at all sure about Lebanon’s preparedness as opposed to ours – and suggests shades of partiality,” said Pangilinan.

“I believe the Philippines should reconsider its position on this nonsensical decision or, in the alternative, advise FIBA that by such and such a date – sooner rather than later – if no advise is given us, considering as well the months of preparations required for proper hosting, we will simply decline,” Pangilinan added.

Pangilinan sent this message to FIBA world secretary general Patrick Bauhmann who attended the conference together with FIBA world president Yvan Mainini.

“In our country, we’re trying our very best to make the supreme effort to minimize the intrusion of politics into sport,” Pangilinan also said in the message.
    P.B.A.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMDG2008 View Post
      We should make the most of what we can control ---and those are our free throws. We need to be more consistent in the line. I wonder if the RP team has a shooting coach to make us hit at a higher rate at the charity stripe
      that's one aspect of the game which I hope our players have solved. But I do see our team will be in a fight with Iran, that team is showing that they are more than capable of winning even if most part of the game they are behind. At the Jones Cup, we showed we can stand toe-to-toe with them This will be a great test for our team, does it now have that killer instinct. At that Taipei game, they also rallied and only run out of time as we built just enough cussion. Tomorrow we must not allow that to happen, we should try to grab the lead at the instant, give pressure both in offense and defense, if possible get Bahrami out of his game, build the lead then keep on pouring until we do break the confidence of the Iranians.
      LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
      Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
        so the FLB is Ghassan's bitch
        Josh reyes is better than him....

In scouting....

Comment

• Nice win!

Nice win!

CONGRATS TO OUR GALLANT & GUTSY GILAS BOYS!

You made us all proud!

It's a great feeling that we are now in the semis. We now have the momentum going against Iran. Iran will practically banner the same roster which we beat in the Jones Cup just recently, except that top point guard Mahdi Kamrani is not with the team right now.

Good luck to our team! Let us continue praying for the success of the team.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Lebanon gets the boot.

Shoulda worn your lucky denim pants, Fadi...

Comment

• QATAR wins!!! how about that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Allanhboy View Post
                Allan Caidic should be hired as a shooting consultant for our National Teams . . .
                do not agree, as an individual he is really great shooter and scorer but he has a unorthodox style which is effective with him but is not actually the most ideal form and technique.

Then in the time he was the head coach of Ginebra, he was really not that good. He does not have the patience to be a teacher.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• What do you know Qatar enters the semis... Fadi wasn't handling the ball, not as much as he did against PH. LIB lacking in intensity its as if as though they do not care about this game. although i must say that was outstanding shooting by qatar in the 3pts at the 4Q, they were missing miserably until then.

Comment

• Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                    do you think Lebanon relaxed after winning the hosting? they have nothing to lose since they are already qualified being the hosts..

or karma for obvious politicking?
                    could be ..... but do give credit in Qatar pulling a surprise with their Naturalized Player ready not only to play but to lead them.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Epithetless View Post
                      I'm happy for the win, but man, that was an ugly, sloppy, and tentative game from our team. I hope Douthit gets a good night's rest, he was rested for only a short period in the fourth. Hopefully they play their A-game tomorrow.
                      I like how it was put into words by Phil Jackson, zenmaster and former Chicago Bulls headcoach, on how to beat a bully team, which pretty much sums up the play of team Iran, what with their big BIGS and all... To the effect, I don't have the exact words, "Make them think and they will unravel".

This was the BULLS battle cry against the Portland Trailblazers when they battled for the Chi city's team's second championship.
                      Clearly with Kevin Duckworth, and the other Portland bigs the BULLS then were severely undersized under the boards.

So team Pinas, play hard tomorrow. When you get this bully team frustrated they will shoot themselves on the foot. Relentless play. With Bahrami neutralized or at least slowed down, Gilas only have Khardoust and his one or two moves under the basket to worry about.

I lied... Iran still has a lot of heavy gunners. They have a three point game the envy of a lot of progressive teams. So, I guess, tough perimeter defense is in order and none of the Daredevlil's gambling and late closeouts type of "D".

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Ticket View Post
                        Josh reyes is better than him....

In scouting....
                        I would be more interested in Josh anchoring our ddo..
                        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by RFM View Post
                          QATAR wins!!! how about that!
                          trey johnson performed as advertised..
                          To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                          1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Qatar has a population of 1,795,828 comprises of Indians=24%, Nepali=16%, Filipino=11%, pakisatani-srilakan=9%,arab=13% and THE QATARIS=15% which are around 300,000 only of the total population.. Im working here in qatar and I rarely see Black Qatari national, but they have those black basketball players which i think mostly are african from the way they look..

Comment

• Don't know if anyone noticed. I didn't backread. But the head ref vs TPE was Lebanese.;p
                              Philippines is in National Team transition mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by emorej View Post
                                Qatar has a population of 1,795,828 comprises of Indians=24%, Nepali=16%, Filipino=11%, pakisatani-srilakan=9%,arab=13% and THE QATARIS=15% which are around 300,000 only of the total population.. Im working here in qatar and I rarely see Black Qatari national, but they have those black basketball players which i think mostly are african from the way they look..

puro peke kasi mga players nila

trans: good win for qatar

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information